Special Chapter II: When They were Young (Part 1)

That Person, You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: Italic means flashbacks or inside thoughts on some parts. The present is the normal text. Pardon for grammatical errors and misspelled words.

 

----

 

When They were Young

Part 1

 

Taeyeon stood at the door, peeking if her roommate still training her dance routine for that day. Craning her neck, Taeyeon saw other trainees inside— others were still dancing with their partners or in a group of three, others were looked like their strength already drained as they’re sitting against the wall spacing out or either lying on the floor. Then, there some trainees on the other side of the room who were just talking and laughing with their friends. She hesitated to go inside because well, she was shy. It’s been months since she signed a contract to the agency after she won first place in youth competition, but still, she hasn’t yet used to on how to properly communicate with them. It was extremely hard for her— the training, talking to other trainees, everything. She’s been in Academy to train her singing, but the agency itself is a total opposite, trainees are everywhere and the rules were too strict. But knowing all of them are almost the same age as her and dreaming for their future as well, that alone helps Taeyeon’s inside to feel a bit less tense.

 

Taeyeon heaved a sigh, she couldn’t see Stephanie inside the room. ‘Where that girl went to?’ They promised earlier to go home together since they were both living in the same dorm. Her assigned roommate was Stephanie alongside the other younger trainees. Taeyeon bit her lower lip, contemplating if she should call the girl or just wait outside of the training room.

 

“Hi.”

 

Startled, Taeyeon looked on her shoulder. The girl who was standing there was pretty, possessing a prominent face and a distinct voice. Taeyeon met her not long ago when the CEO and agency’s staff introduced them— the newcomers to those who trained the longest. Taeyeon found the girl snob, superior for having that aura, and kind of domineering. She also heard from other trainees; the girl was one of the CEO’s favorite trainees for giving her special treatment.

 

“Aren’t you going inside?”

 

Taeyeon turned her body, focusing her attention on the girl’s sharp eyes. The way the girl staring at her somehow felt intimidating. Taeyeon’s hands tensely gripped the shoulder straps of her backpack, shaking her head. “A-Ah, no…”

 

“Were you looking for someone?”

 

“U-Uhm, y-yes.”

 

Taeyeon’s brows furrowed quizzically as to why the girl still staring at her as if waiting for her to talk more. She averted her eyes, thinking a way how to avoid the girl or how to leave without making herself some sort of a rude person. She felt very uncomfortable under the stare of people that aren’t close to her.

 

The girl chuckled. “Perhaps, you’re looking for Stephanie?”

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

“I just saw her in the lounge area, talking on her phone.” The girl gestured her hand to point in the opposite side where she’s been to.

 

“Oh…”

 

The girl’s thin lips curved in a smile, Taeyeon couldn’t help but stare. It’s rare to see the ‘princess’ smiling, let alone to her. It’s not often that a royalty displays attention to a commoner. It’s quite an experience but puzzling.

 

“It’s better if you go there.”

 

Taeyeon nodded her head again, turning around to where Stephanie was. In her mind, she’s berating if she should at least say ‘thanks’ or bid goodbye. But like as she always is, she probably takes minutes and hours before getting an answer from herself.

 

“Uhm, Taeyeon-shi.”

 

Taeyeon stopped, turning with her eyebrows up. It’s the first time she heard her name rolling off of her tongue that clear. Well, they aren’t close or considered acquaintances. Saying hi and hello’s at times won’t move up your spot in the level of those who are superior. She eyed her questioningly.

 

“I’m looking forward to training with you.” She said with a smile, before swiftly moving to get inside of the training room.

 

Taeyeon’s eyes grew big, dumbfounded. Then it clicked to her. She finally realized right then and there what the trainer been telling her earlier. Starting next week, she’ll join another trainee for vocal training. Her heart clenched anxiously. ‘So, it’s her’. She’s going to train with her. Taeyeon headed towards where Stephanie was, her steps felt heavy as her shoe soles touching the light, polished floor. Indeed, knowing she’ll join Jessica Jung in training puts a lot of pressure on her. ‘Well, it’s not as if I had a choice.’

 

----

 

Jessica Jung is amazing. That’s what Taeyeon found out after days of training with her. Her voice clear, her range high, but at the same time, it’s soft and delicate. It’s not a wonder that she’s categorized as a soprano. She could sing English songs easily, her falsetto and vibrato are to die for— well, what Taeyeon meant, it’s so pleasing to hear that she felt sometimes her technique couldn’t match Jessica’s. Ah, the result of being trained for so long. Although she could be inconsistent at times according to their trainer, of course, Taeyeon knows Jessica could have more room for improvements as long as she continues her ways. She’s a hardworking anyway. It’s not just once that Taeyeon saw her practicing as if she isn’t feeling exhaustion or fatigue. ‘She’s so admirable.’

 

Taeyeon sat on the floor, sweaty and tired. After their vocal lessons, they went directly to practice dancing. Until now she couldn’t comprehend why she has to do all these hard works— keep practicing like almost 24/7. She just wanted to be a singer, because that is the only talent she knows and excels in. She sighed, leaning her back on the wall watching all the other girls dancing without feeling worn out.

 

“Don’t lean your back on the wall, it’s cold.”

 

Taeyeon looked up. She didn’t notice Jessica got near her side. She must be too focused staring out the others. Taeyeon watched her sitting beside her, to her left, then drinks the bottled water she’s carrying. Since they’re training together, she can freely talk to her with a little comfort now.

 

“What’s wrong? I don’t think the wall will get angry.” Her lips twisted into a smile.

 

Jessica’s eyes shifted to her; fingers busy closing the bottle with its cap. “Of course, it’s bad. You’re sweaty, Taeyeon-shi. It’s not good, you’ll get a cold easily. You don’t want that, right?”

 

“You’re not that old to believe in that.”

 

Jessica just stared out at her face, eyes not wavering to Taeyeon’s words. After like having a staring match for seconds, Taeyeon chuckled, giving up. She moved away from the wall, leaning forward to hug her knees instead. “As far as I know, this building is perfectly insulated.”

 

“I know. But there’s no harm to consider the old saying.” Her line of sight focused on other trainees as well.

 

Taeyeon stayed looking at Jessica, a soft smile brushed into her lips. Contradictory to what people have said about her, Jessica Jung is actually affectionate and thoughtful. At first, she looked like a spoiled princess who won’t ever touch a thing or give a damn to people who aren’t worthy of her attention but behind all that facades are a shy, gentle and considerate girl.

 

“I didn’t know you’re a caring person.” She joked.

 

“There are so many things that you don’t know about me, Taeyeon-shi.”

 

“Yeah, right.” She nodded.

 

Then, Jessica turned her attention back to her, a beautiful smile plastered on her face. “Are you actually curious about me?”

 

“Well…” She averted her eyes away, feeling uneasy. “I just realized, others were wrong about you…” Oops. Taeyeon stopped, fully aware of her sudden mistake. She looked at her quickly, worried that the other girl might get offended ‘She and her big mouth.’ She didn’t intend to inform her that people were talking behind her back.

 

The beautiful smile was gone.

 

“Are you one of them?”

 

“Huh?” She was confused.

 

“From those people who believe all the talks about me?”

 

Taeyeon was taken aback, couldn’t find the right words to reply. Did she believe them? She stayed quiet for seconds, thinking. She jolted when Jessica moved to stand on her feet. “Wha—.” She couldn’t see her face, what expression she currently has.

 

“Good day, Taeyeon-shi.”

 

Did she disappoint her? “Wait.” Taeyeon thought to pull her arm to stop her but she didn’t do. What will she tell her anyway?

 

Jessica briskly turned away, not giving Taeyeon a chance to have a glimpse of her face. She walked away, leaving Taeyeon astounded with the bottled water sitting on the floor.

 

----

 

Jessica is angry. That’s what Taeyeon noticed when they are in the middle of their vocal training. Although Jessica acted like a true professional, talking to her when it needed to or when their coach told them to practice the songs. But clearly, there was a gap— like there was an invisible wall or boundary line between them that even she put effort to cross, Jessica shied away.

 

“Okay, that’s it for today.” The vocal coach clapped his hand. “Taeyeon, you always did great, as usual. Keep that energy.”

 

Taeyeon was shy but despite that, she nodded.

 

“Jessica, I feel there’s something off to you these days. Are you coming back to your shell? You did well for the past few weeks.” He eyed Jessica intently. “I want to hear that voice of you clearly again. You’re good, you’re outstanding. I don’t want you to be shy again, okay?”

 

“I’m sorry, seonsaengnim.”

 

“No, no… don’t think I’m disappointed.” He smiled genuinely. “I’m here to help you, to teach you. You two are exceptional students. Teaching both of you makes me want to give my finest so that I can be proud of telling people someday that I thought these two excellent people.” He laughed loudly. “So, let’s do our best, alright?”

 

The two nodded their heads simultaneously, and the coach let them go.

 

Taeyeon picked her backpack after putting all the lyric papers inside. She watched Jessica did the same. Taeyeon wanted to approach her but couldn’t have the guts that she needs. It probably feels awkward if Jessica ignores her. The moment she took a step to Jessica’s side where the door is, the girl already bolted out of the room. Taeyeon heaved a sigh, she doesn’t know when will Jessica’s anger subsides. She walked out of the room into the hallway, thinking about how she messed up for real. She won’t deny that she believed the people’s words about Jessica at first, but when she got to know the girl, all of that rumors just fade away. It’s her fault that her brain was so stupid and was too late to react to Jessica’s question.

 

How can she get Jessica’s forgiveness? Or to talk to the girl normally again? She sorts of missing their interactions.

 

“Hey, Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon stopped, looking on her shoulder. It was their vocal coach again with his bag hanging on his shoulder. He was probably about to leave the facility. Since her steps were too slow, he caught up to her.

 

“Seonsaengnim.”

 

“Taeyeon, are you and Jessica not in good terms?”

 

“Eh?”

 

The vocal coach laughed softly. “I just kind of sense that you two seem uncomfortable around each other. Unlike the previous days.” The man eyed her with his gentle eyes behind the glasses.

 

Taeyeon averted her eyes, biting her lower lip. “Uhm…”

 

“Okay. I got it.” He chuckled, tapping her shoulder. “Taeyeon, did you know the saying eating ice cream can make the people happy?”

 

Taeyeon frowned. “Huh?” She was confused.

 

“Give her ice cream.”

 

“Uhm… Seonsaengnim, you said it’s not good for our vocal cords?”

 

The man stepped ahead to leave, suppressing his laugh. He waved his hand nonchalantly. “Just for this time, I can make an exemption.”

 

Taeyeon watched him walked away as his back faded away in the narrow hallway. ‘Ice cream, huh?’ Taeyeon’s lips curved in a smile, sighing. She pulled her backpack’s strap excitedly. ‘Okay!’ Who hates the ice cream anyway?

 

----

 

Jessica wiped the sweat in her forehead and face. She felt so exhausted that her legs want to give up. The dance trainer gave them 30 minutes break from their routine. If they’ll ask her, 30 minutes isn’t enough to make their body relax, at least make it 2 hours! She felt a bead of cold sweat ran down her neck, Jessica looked around as her brows pulled together. ‘Taeyeon isn’t here?’ How come she didn’t notice from the start? Jessica stepped out of the training room, glancing towards the window and the blue sky behind. It doesn’t make sense that Taeyeon didn’t attend the dance training. They’d both finished the vocal training and she expected the other girl to follow the schedule.

 

If people will look at her now, Jessica seems in search of someone. No, she denied. She’s wasn’t looking for anyone, and she wasn’t looking for the shorter girl either. It’s just, it made her curious about why the other girl did not appear in the training, not because she’s worried or anything. Besides, seeing Taeyeon still making her feel annoyed. How come she treated her well only to find out that her impression about her wasn’t that good? If only she had known in the first place, she didn’t let herself get closer to her. She sighed, feeling her face getting sweaty again from walking around. Jessica looked up, seeing the sun above. She didn’t notice she’s already on the building’s roof garden on the 3rd floor. Jessica excitedly smiled, dragging her feet towards the center of the garden. The weather is fine, a little cold but it’s enough to make herself relieve from exhaustion. Jessica sat on the bench, leaning her back. ‘This is the perfect weather.’ She closed her eyes, letting the sun rays warm her face. She stayed on her position for minutes, unwilling to hear any noise, until something cold as ice touches her cheek.

 

“AHH!” Jessica shouted, her eyes springing open in shock while jumping on her seat. Her eyes sharply glared on the culprit standing behind the bench. She saw the shorter girl seems to hide her face behind the two packs of ice cream popsicles in her hands. “Taeyeon-shi?”

 

Taeyeon's head tilted, trying to peek at her. Their eyes immediately met prompting Taeyeon to hide her face again behind the popsicles. Jessica’s brows up, wondering what was Taeyeon doing on the roof garden? Was she perhaps looking at her? Staring at her more, Jessica heard Taeyeon speaking softly.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

She was stunned. “Uhm.” And no other words would come out of .

 

Jessica turned her eyes towards the sun, staying silent for seconds before looking at Taeyeon again. The way the shorter girl hiding her face behind popsicles is beyond comedic, but at the same time endearing. Thanks to her adorable act that it made their situation less intimidating. If they’re not awkward to each other, she’ll tease Taeyeon for being corny. While thinking like that, Jessica couldn’t suppress her giggle anymore. Taeyeon looked at her, quizzically.

 

Jessica shook her head, smiling, she asked instea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter