Special Chapter III: When They were Young (Part 2)

That Person, You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: Italic means flashbacks or inside thoughts on some parts. The present is the normal text. Pardon for grammatical errors and misspelled words.

 

 

----

 

 

When They were Young II

 

 

Jessica is such a good dancer. That was what has been running in Taeyeon’s head as she watches Jessica and other girls dancing in a group of three. There’s no doubt that Hyoyeon and Yuri are better dancers than her but there was an easy grace in the way Jessica moves that makes Taeyeon to only watch her. Swaying her hips, her long black hair bounces on her shoulders. She radiates infinitely attractive energy. ‘Argh… she was one hot—…’ Taeyeon shook her head, at this rate, she would soon lose her concentration and the trainer will reprimand her again for not giving enough attention.

 

“Unnie, let’s practice our dance steps.”

 

Taeyeon was startled, she turned to Yoona who grinned widely at her because she got a little bit surprised. “Oh…”

 

“After, Sooyoung-unnie and Juhyun’s group, we’re next.”

 

She nodded. “Okay. Wait, where’s Soonkyu?”

 

“Ah, she’s here a little while.” Yoona pouted, looking over her shoulder.

 

“Probably, she’s in the toilet?” Taeyeon walked towards the door to peek. “Let’s wait outside.”

 

Taeyeon sat on the floor in the hallway, leaning her back on the wall, sighing. They needed to perform in what they called— a monthly test— so that the executives could see if they’d keep up to the training, to know who deserves to stay to continue under the management, and soon to debut. Be in a group or solo, in singing or dancing, always keep in mind— show what you’ve learned. Show what you’ve got. Show your talent. Or else, you’ll be damned. And Taeyeon knew it was harsh to be cut after the long effort. Even though she didn’t train that long enough in the agency, she already saw a lot of trainees that cried when their dreams crashed in just a snap. She looked up to the ceiling, she swore it’ll never happen to her. She wanted to be a singer. It was the reason she left Jeonju in the first place and bear being away from her family. No matter what, with herself filled with determination, she’ll debut as a singer.

 

Taeyeon felt the cold wall against her back, prompting her to move away and hug her knees. ‘Huh?’ She used to not mind leaning on the cold wall. When did she start being like this? She closed her eyes and, in a flash, an image of a girl dancing, smiling at her sweetly appeared. Taeyeon slowly straightened up. In the end, this how she was. After the promise to just focus on achieving her dream— she still ended up weak.

 

“Taeyeon-unnie.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure. What is it?”

 

“Do you like, Sica-unnie?”

 

“HUH?” Taeyeon’s eyes grew big. She didn’t need to ask if she was blushing profusely when she felt that familiar heat on her face. Was Yoona a psychic or something? Did she act so obviously when she’s with Jessica? ‘Oh? Wait, wait… She likes Jessica?’ Taeyeon blinked again and again.

 

“Unnie? Why are you acting so weird? Did I say something wrong?”

 

Taeyeon cleared , yet, it didn’t even help her to act normal. It only made here flustered even more.

 

“Unnie, you’re acting really weird!”

 

“I-I’m not.”

 

Giggling, Yoona stood in front of her, looking around before staring at her seriously. “I’m just asking because you know, people said you two could be rivals.”

 

“What?” She was confused.

 

“Hmm… I know you, Sica-unnie and Soyeon-unnie are the three who could really sing, but some people strangely thinking that you and Sica-unnie are better off as rivals and not as a team.”

 

Taeyeon was taken aback. She didn’t know how to react. Are those people have nothing good to say? Taeyeon let out an exasperated sigh. First, they talked behind Jessica’s back. Now, this?

 

“I asked you because you seemed to like Sica-unnie enough to get closer to her.” Yoona smiled, leaning on the wall. “You even asked me where her favorite spot in here and—.”

 

“Yeah, and you wouldn’t answer me unless I give you an ice cream.”

 

“You have two popsicle ice creams!”

 

“And you know, I’ll give the other one to Sica.”

 

Yoona stuck her tongue out. “But you did give me the popsicle.”

 

“Right, and you made me go back to the store after that.”

 

Yoona laughed happily, and Taeyeon couldn't help but laugh along.

 

“But unnie, I don’t understand them. Why do I feel they hate Sica-unnie so much?”

 

Taeyeon stayed silent for a moment, thinking. “You know, Yoona, don’t listen to those people, they are just insecure. People like them exist only because they just want something to talk about. They disregarding the fact that they could hurt people with their words. They think it’s great because it entertained them, but in reality, it’s not. They didn’t realize it’ll only make them small. That’s what gossip does to people, right?” Taeyeon looked up to the ceiling again. She couldn’t believe herself, that she could say those words while Jessica was in her mind. She let out a soft laugh, shifting her eyes to the younger girl. “I like Sica because she inspires me. She’s such a good friend. And I think she’s amazing for being so positive all the time. If ever they want me to team up with others, I want to be with her and you girls…”

 

They savor the moment comprehending each other in silence until Yoona came back to her usual mischievous act.

 

“Really?” Yoona asked, smiling teasingly.

 

“When did I lie to you?”

 

“Aww…unnie…” She cooed, spreading her arms to hug the older but smaller girl. “Huggg...”

 

“Yah! Yoona! Get away from me!”

 

Amused at the older girl’s reaction, Yoona chuckled while thinking it isn’t bad after all to tell Taeyeon about it. Yoona fixed her eyes, watching Taeyeon running right away to meet Soonkyu in the middle of the hallway. She realized, she wanted to spend her youth with people like Taeyeon. She wanted to know her more, to stay with her— with the other girls she’s close to, for a long long time. Yoona ran as well, joining them. She jumped on Taeyeon’s back, hugging her. “Unnie, you can’t escape from me anymore!”

 

“Yah! You’re heavy!”

 

“Saranghae, unnie!”

 

“What’s with you?”

 

Yoona didn’t answer; she just laughed and blew some kisses to them like she didn’t care at all about anything. Well, she has things to observe anyway that was really interesting. Based on how her Taeyeon-unnie reacted earlier, she seems to like her Sica-unnie differently. Is there a chance that she’ll see them together? While thinking about it, it’s enough to make Yoona snickered and laughed out loud again.

 

----

 

It’s not a secret anymore to Jessica that Taeyeon has a peculiar personality. She was moody and weird sometimes. It’s not just once that she witnessed Taeyeon’s odd mood when something ruined her concentration when singing. But despite that, Taeyeon knew how to apologize in the end if she was going overboard. Yet knowing all these, it didn’t stop Jessica to continue getting closer to her and strangely enough, she just found herself more and more curious about the girl.

 

But there was something that always bothering Jessica. She knew Taeyeon was all sweet and teasing, but Taeyeon also has this temper that she suddenly gets annoyed without a reason. Like the time when Stephanie opened up the topic of Jessica receiving a letter from a boy. And for Jessica, it’s not such a big deal to get herself delighted or to feel as if she was on a cloud nine. And in fact, it was funny because it already slipped Jessica’s mind about it. She just accepted it the other day, and then went home from school. And the moment she’s about to leave the house again the next day for the training, she just saw it tucked in her bag’s pocket.

 

“Yeah. What about it?”

 

“You didn’t read it yet?”

 

“No.”

 

“My God, Jessi! Aren’t you excited?!”

 

“No. I’m not—.”

 

“Wae, wae? What is there to be excited about?”

 

“We can hear you, loud and clear outside, Ppani-yah.”

 

Jessica heard Taeyeon talked from behind. She turned to look over her shoulder and saw Taeyeon with Soonkyu, Yuri, and Hyoyeon, at the door, walking toward them. They probably took their lunches in the cafeteria. She noticed Taeyeon has this big smile plastered on her face like she was glowing from happiness.

 

“Hey, Taeyeon, Yoona probably searching for you now.” Soonkyu pulled the chair to sit. “You promised to treat her an ice cream.”

 

“I said, I’ll treat her again if she guessed the right answer.”

 

“And she did.”

 

“With your help guys!” Taeyeon laughed loud enough to be heard in the training room. “You gave her clues, that’s not counted!”

 

“Boo. Taeyeon.”

 

“It’s just a freaking ₩2000 popsicle, why can’t you just buy it for her?”

 

“She’s probably broke today.”

 

Jessica watched Taeyeon shaking her head, chuckling on the girls’ antics. As if on cue, their eyes met, and Jessica felt a sudden heat ran inside her chest, and she averted her eyes. She frowned, mentally noting, how frequently she feels like that lately when meeting Taeyeon’s eyes. And it vexed her. Not that she hates the feeling but it’s because she’s unable to give it a name.

 

“Anyway, why does Sica need to get excited? What happened?” Soonkyu asked after the laughter subsides, steering her attention back to the topic.

 

“Ah, it’s nothing import—.”

 

Before Jessica finishes her words, Stephanie talked loudly in excitement. “Girls, you know Jessi just received a love letter from a classmate.”

 

“Really?!” Yuri asked, eyes springing open.

 

“Ah, then Sica, bring it out, share it with us to read. We might find something to laugh at, right?” Hyoyeon said jokingly.

 

Soonkyu playfully hit Hyoyeon’s head with her knuckle. “Knock it off! It’s where you’re really great huh, laughing at others.”

 

“But with all seriousness, Jessi. You should read it. Why I’m the one who’s so excited about it anyway? Don’t you know? It’s so rare to receive a letter these days. People are often just sending a message through their mobile phones. It’s romantic, right?”

 

Jessica chuckled, helplessly. “I know your point, Steph. I didn’t say I’m not ecstatic receiving it but—.”

 

“Just read it now, Sica. I promised I won’t laugh.” Hyoyeon said with a straight face, waving her hand dismissively.

 

“I think I’ll feel special when I received something like that. Sigh… school and romance.” Yuri voiced out, turning to Hyoyeon who snorted at her before whispering to Soonkyu. The other two sniggered, in their typical scornful laugh.

 

“What’s wrong? Sica probably feels special too, aren’t you Sica? Don’t laugh at me, guys!”

 

“Yeah, yeah. Yuri-yah. Anyway, Miyoungie… does your classmate a good-looking guy?”

 

“Oh, surely. I’ll feel giddy if I’m the one receiving it.” Stephanie giggled, eyes twinkling like she was rewinding the sight of Jessica accepting the letter from a boy inside her head.

 

“Ohh… read that letter! Read that letter!”

 

Jessica heaved a sigh, crossing her arms against her chest. She felt frustrated that the girls didn’t give her a chance to finish her sentence. “Guys, it’s not—.”

 

“I think, you just want to read it alone.”

 

‘Great! And then there’s Taeyeon too.’ Irked enough, Jessica slowly turning her head to gaze at Taeyeon, hearing her words. But unlike the earlier, Taeyeon’s eyes were surprisingly dark, and somehow void of emotion while staring at her. It likes the other girl turned serious all of a sudden. Why? She should be the one to complain when all they do is to conclude. Jessica bit her lower lip to halt herself not to speak out of irritation.

 

Pulling her brows together, she replied. “And what gives you the idea that I want to read it alone?” She heard her tone; it was unexpectedly sharp. Jessica thought she was indeed unsuccessful not to lace her voice with any indignation.

 

“Oh? You’re not?”

 

They looked at each other intently. Jessica knew Taeyeon was challenging her. For what? She couldn’t understand Taeyeon. What did the other girl want to hear from her? “Why? Do you want me to read it out loud to you?”

 

Then, she watched as Taeyeon immediately averted her gaze.

 

The four other girls felt the air turned somewhat tense and unusual. Yuri nudged Soonkyu, silently conveying her to make the surrounding less heavy. And Soonkyu shook her head vehemently. As much as she knows Jessica is a sweet girl, she also knows when not to cut her off when Jessica herself turns serious.

 

“As much as I appreciated receiving things from someone, you should also know that there are people who feel uncomfortable in this kind of situation. And it’s not different for me. It’s so uneasy that you all teasing me because of this.”

 

“That’s what you see? I’m teasing you too?”

 

“Oh? You’re not?” This time, Jessica used Taeyeon’s words against her.

 

“I’m just stating what I see. You seem to like when boys giving you this kind of attention.”

 

“What?” Jessica cried out, unable to believe the way she'd just insulted her.

 

Stephanie’s eyes got big, wanting to cover Taeyeon’s mouth to stop her from retaliating Jessica. She walked hastily over beside Taeyeon, pulling her arm. “Taetae… let’s go outside…”

 

Hyoyeon who felt a sudden awkwardness just forcibly laughed, putting her arm around Yuri’s shoulder.

 

Jessica stood from her seat, slowly. Soonkyu, Stephanie, Hyoyeon, and Yuri almost stop breathing, mentally praying that their trainer will appear instantly inside the training room before Jessica gives her counter-attack to Taeyeon.

 

Clap! Clap!

 

Magically, the four simultaneously sighed in relief, hearing their trainer’s usual clapping of hands when the training is set to start. The four briskly, almost comically walked away from Taeyeon and Jessica, escaping the scene.

 

Jessica sighed loudly, pinching the bridge of her nose. Hearing Taeyeon’s words hurt her, that’s the truth. But there’s no sense of getting angry at her again. She promised not to be affected by this kind of thought and rumor about her.

 

“Taeyeon-ah… let’s just—.”

 

“Don’t talk to me.”

 

Jessica was taken aback, confusedly staring at Taeyeon’s face. ‘What?’ Her eyes followed Taeyeon, moving away from her. She couldn’t do anything but watch and be left standing in shock. Jessica balled her fists in anger. They were the ones who went putting words in . She was the one being judged. She has every right to get angry! And then, there’s Kim Taeyeon shutting her up? ‘The nerve!’

 

----

 

“Taetae, it’s not typical for you to stay on the bed. It’s 9 AM already.”

 

Taeyeon lifted her head from the pillow, muttering. “We don’t have training today, I want to stay on the bed much longer, Ppani-yah.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter