One Step Closer

The Timeless Necklace

        A man dressed in a trench coat, along with a bowler tipped down to partially conceal his face. Approaching the ominous board at the park, he dug a folded note out from his pocket, putting it on the board.

        Stuffing his hands into his pockets, he trudged away. He glanced around his surroundings, before deciding to take his hat off.

        Humph.

        Morand should have hired a more capable person, now, he'll think I'm staying in my room this entire time.

        Bartholomew read the message on the note once more, staring intently at it.

        "...I hope they get that message as soon as possible." He mused to himself, ruffling his hair, causing it to become messier.

 

 

*************************************

 

 

        Emi furrowed her eyebrows, finding it difficult to comprehend Kris' words. He gazed right into her eyes, his zealous eyes made her glance away quickly.

        "What is your answer?" He asked her without hesitation, a small smile on his lips.

        Did I hear him right?

        Are my ears playing a trick on me?

         "I'm not sure if I heard you correctly, Kris. Di-did you just say that you..." Emi trailed off, unable to complete her sentence as a conflicted look appeared on her face.

         She decided to look into his eyes, only to be startled when something soft and plump pressed lightly against her forehead. Her mind immediately recognised the feeling and she stumbled back, Kris loosening his grip on her wrist.

        He straightened up, glancing down at her with a tiny, mischievous smile as Emi's hand flew to her forehead.

        "You..." She gasped out, her eyes wide in utter shock.

        He-he kissed my forehead!

        "Do you think there's no reason behind my kisses?"

        Kisses?

        This is the only kiss he...

        Emi suddenly remembered the passionate kiss from the other day, one hand on her forehead while the other on her lips.

        How could I forget about that kiss?!

        ...so he really likes me? He really confessed to me?

        Me? The thief that he detests so much before?

        Emi's mind finally registered the situation, including remembering the deep kiss he gave her. She felt her body growing warm, an obvious blush on her cheeks.

        "Your answer?" He asked lowly, pleased yet surprised to see the blush apparent on her cheeks.

        She looked up at him, taken aback and she swallowed her saliva, growing dry.

        "I...it's my first time being treated...like this. It's too strange--too new to me." Emi answered, her expression reflecting the dozens of emotions she was experiencing.

        ...and it's my first time feeling this way too.

        "Alright, I'll wait for your answer." Kris responded, his words gentle, along with his smile.

        Emi nodded stiffly, spinning around as she heaved a long breath. Taking a step forward, Kris suddenly reached out and grabbed lightly onto her wrist. Meeting his intense eyes, Emi observed him with a questioning look, butterflies in her stomach.

        "Don't make me wait too long."

        With those words, Kris released her and she could hardly meet his eyes this time.

        "...I'll go back to sleep now."

        "Goodnight, Emi." Kris nodded, watching as Emi walked back to the hut, her movements slightly stiff.

 

 

*********************************************

 

 

         Half an hour later, Kris entered the hut, his gaze lingering on Emi, who seemed to be sleeping soundly. He observed her with a fond look, before proceeding to tuck himself in the makeshift bed, made of leaves and grass.

        However, Emi was only pretending to be asleep. It was impossible for her to fall asleep, after being confessed to for the very first time. Moreover, it was from Kris, the coldest man she has ever met, that she realised had a warm heart within.

        Maybe a little too warm and intense for her.

        Emi groaned internally, recalling the kisses he gave her and his confession yet again. She switched sides, a reminder in her mind that she was facing Kris now. She peeked at the man sleeping beside her, her heart skipping a beat when she noticed him staring at her.

        Emi hurriedly flipped to the other side, squeezing her eyes close.

        He's watching me.

        She could feel his stare burning into her back, making her shift uncomfortably.

        He's watching me.

        Emi switched position yet again, laying on her back this time. Her eyes were wide open, her consciousness overwhelming her sleepiness. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Kris switching positions, facing away from her. She sighed in relief, her eyes fluttering close and she knew she could finally get some rest. Unbeknownst to her, Kris turned to look back at her once more after she fell asleep, before going to sleep himself.

 

 

***********************************************

 

 

         Emi's eyes fluttered open, hearing murmurs in the background. Blinking her sleepiness away, she pushed herself up and still in a daze. The morning sun streamed through the opened window, partially shining on her hair, showing the silky texture of her hair. Moments later, Emi was fully awake, frowning to herself.

        I slept...without waking up at all?

        She blinked towards the direction of the murmurs, still surprised at how well she slept.

        It's been years since I've slept this well.

        She glanced around, not seeing any signs of Kris. Growing cautious, she listened carefully to the commotion outside, realising one of the voices belonged to Kris. She relaxed instantly, heading towards the cabin door and creaking it open, by a little. She watched discreetly, seeing Kris standing in front of two men, his back facing her. She immediately recognised the two men, one of was Yun and the other was Lin, one of her victims from her archery training.

        A faint smile appeared on her lips and she proceeded to shut the door, heading towards the river to prepare herself for the day, via the window.

        Yun and Lin held a constant smile on their faces, upon hearing the news about Emi's from Kris. Before Kris left, he told the two of them to meet him here, at this hut by today; if there was any news that they needed to report. However, noticing their leader with such an exuberant look, they couldn't help but question him.

        Why does he look so happy, since he went to confirm about Emi's death?

        "How is she?" Yun asked, a joyful look on his face, patting Kris on the shoulder.

        "Alive and well." Kris smiled slightly, turning his head towards the horses. He noticed Emi's beloved horse among the horses, his smile growing a little bigger.

        "You brought her horse?"

        "We thought it would be best to bring her horse along, to bid her master farewell but..." Lin said, his words dying off as he grinned to himself.

        Looks like there isn't any need to say farewell.

        "Where is she? I don't see her around." Yun questioned, searching around his surroundings.

        "Still asleep inside." Kris gestured towards the door.

        "Asleep? For this long?" Yun exclaimed and Lin frowned along with him.

        "She stayed with us for almost a month, yet she was always the earliest to rise and latest to sleep." Yun mused, glancing towards Kris, a smirk stretching across his lips.

         I think I know why.

        "Shouldn't we wake her now? We won't be able to make it to our base by sunset, if we don't set off now." Lin said, preparing to climb onto his horse.

        "I'll go check on her." Kris stated, heading towards the cabin door and pushing it open gently, not wanting to awake her abruptly. However, to his surprise, there wasn't anyone there and he frowned, scouring around the cabin.

        He grew a little frantic, whispering to himself. "Where is she?"

 

 

**************************************

 

 

        Dressing in her clothes, Emi heard the leaves rustling from rapid movements, her eyes glinting sharply towards the trees. She was thankful she was in her usual outfit, and in that dreadful dress anymore.

        "Emi?" A familiar voice hollered her name, his voice sounding a little panicked. The memories from the previous night suddenly hit her, and she hurriedly continued wearing her clothes.

        Soon after, Kris stepped out from the trees just as Emi finished dressing. She recalled a similar scene happening before, thankfully, she was dressed this time.

        She observed the relief in his eyes, his jacket hanging over his shoulders as he held onto it tightly, showing the vest that he was wearing inside. He was panting, beads of sweat glistening on his forehead, evident how anxious he was to find her. His other hand was clutching onto the scabbard of his sword, and somehow Emi found this sight so...y.

        Without any words, he stormed towards her, instantly pulling her into a hug. She blinked in shock, her arms dangling limply at her side.

        "Don't disappear without saying a word. At least--at least tell me where you are going." Kris suspired heavily, curling his arms around her even more.

        "I...only went to...freshen up." Emi said, somewhat dazed as she blinked rapidly.

        "Kris!" Yun exclaimed, causing Kris to release Emi as he spun around.

        "Have you found--oh thank god." Yun said, only to notice a familiar, beautiful woman standing behind Kris.

        Snapping out of her daze, Emi regarded Yun with a soft look. "Yun! It's good to see you again."

        "...the last time I saw you, you fell off a cliff. And before that, he kicked and punched me pretty hard." Yun winced, still remembering the pain from that day she escaped from all of them.

        Oh god.

        I was too desperate that day, how badly could I have hurt him? 

       After all they have done for me, and how good they treated me, why did I...

       "Oh god, Yun, I'm so sorry. I wasn't thinking correctly, how badly hurt are you?" Emi asked, genuinely concerned for Yun. After all, he was the first ever person to treat Emi like a human, like family, before anyone else did.

        Yun winced even more, his face contorting with pain. "Even though I'm nearly cured, the pain I feel internally can't go away."

        Guilt tore at Emi's heart and she stepped forward, approaching Yun. Kris frowned at her walking away from him, raising his eyebrows at Yun.

        He has gotten worse injuries from our sparring sessions, this should be nothing to him.

       What is he doing?

        "Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?"

        Yun stretched his arms out, beckoning Emi towards him with a cheeky grin. "A nice hug."

        Emi narrowed his eyes at Yun, knowing he was trying to advantage of the situation. However, Emi knew what Yun felt for her was completely platonic and he wanted to have a happy reunion with her. She chuckled lightly, an amused expression on her face. She took a step forward, not noticing the man behind her glaring at Yun with murderous look.

        Without warning, Kris reached for Emi, dragging her backwards. She staggered back, startled as she narrowed her eyes at Kris. He casted her a glance, his face seemingly grumpy before marching to Yun.

        Pulling his best friend into a stiff hug, Yun's grin grew bigger and proceeded to fake a disgusted look. "What was that for?"

        "A nice hug, to make you feel better."

        "I didn't want it from you, Kris. Why would I want it from a man?"

        "You didn't specify who."

        "But-"

        "We should hurry." Kris cut Yun off, stomping off with a thunderous look in his eyes. Emi observed their entire exchange with a confused yet amused expression, walking to Yun, standing beside him.

        Yun's shoulders shook with mirth, snorting with laughter. He patted Emi on the shoulder, inhaling in a deep breath.

        "I've missed you Emi, it's good to have you back. I'm so glad you are alive."

        "I'm so sorry, Yun. I never meant to hurt you, I was just-"

        "It's alright, I'm okay. I've gotten worse injuries compared to that, I have to say though, that punch was great!"

        Emi stared at him in silence, not sure what should her response be anymore.

        A masochist?

 

 

*******************************************

 

 

         They quickly set off, after Lin and Emi settled their reunion. Lin wasn't a very touchy person; hence he only gave Emi a stiff, side hug. Kris brightened up when he saw how elated Emi was to see her previous horse, knowing they made a right decision to bring her horse here.

        "The rest would be really happy to see you alive and well, Emi." Yun added, grinning at her.

        Emi smiled vaguely to herself, her horse lovingly. "I can't wait to see them again too."

        They were passing through a treacherous path; thus, they were taking a slow gallop on their horses.

        "Emi, be more careful here." Kris warned Emi softly, concern etched on his face.

        "Don't worry, Luna knows, she's an intelligent creature." She answered, looking at him and once again, distracted by him. The way his lean body swayed side to side on the horse, traversing past the trees as the sunlight occasionally bathed him in a warm light.

        "Indeed she is, and beautiful too." Kris agreed, his words echoed in her ears. However, she couldn't absorb them properly at all and he proceeded to smile gently at her.

        At that moment, Emi's heart fluttered wildly and suddenly, he grew so much brighter to her. Just then, Luna crossed over a fallen log, the sudden jump making Emi unsteady until an arm grabbed onto her, stabilising her.

        "Are you alright?" Kris inquired and that jerked Emi from her stupor, she nodded, thanking him softly.

        "I told you to be more careful."

        "...I know." Emi responded, still slightly dazed.

 

 

***************************

 

 

        Bartholomew stood in front of Sergi's base, an exhausted sigh escaping his lips. He spun around, glaring at a corner down the street.

        "Hey you, get out of there." Bartholomew shouted but there was no response, not even the slightest movements. The night was awfully quiet, the only sounds were coming from inside of Sergi's base.

        "You were ordered by Morand to follow me, aren't you? I already know, so come out of there before I force you to." Bartholomew hissed and finally, there was a tiny rustling sound, accompanied by the shuffling of boots. A man crept out from the shadows, a cautious look on his face as he eyed Bartholomew in shock.

        "Hurry up and report back to him, this is where Sergi is." Bartholomew explained and the man only stood still, a doubtful look in his eyes.

        "Well, what are you waiting for? Go!" Bartholomew barked fiercely and the man jumped, scurrying off to complete his mission.

        Knowing Sergi, he'll handle Morand in his own way.

        Bartholomew thought to himself, checking to see if his stalker was finally gone. Upon ensuring that, he switched his direction, only one objective remaining in his mind.

        Meeting with the Dragoons and Emi Winters, to settle everything once and for all.

 


I wanted to update this chapter last week, but I didn't have time to, ahaha ;x. Life is tough man *sigh*...
Have a nice weekend ahead everyone ^^! Love you guys <3<3