One Step Forward

The Timeless Necklace

          A group of horses cantered across the gravel path, the sand swirling beneath their hooves. The riders of the horses were dressed neatly in a guards uniform, one of them a different colour from the others; all the way to the front.

        “Stop! The leader of the group commanded, and everyone obeyed his order while he swiftly whipped out a pair of binoculars.

        He spotted a man and a woman, surrounded by dozens of men with weapons in their hands, a malicious look on their faces.

        The Elders description perfectly matches them.

        “Charge forward! The leader exclaimed and the guards behind did as he commanded. The leader proceeded to grab his bow, hastily taking an arrow from his quiver and he pulled it back in one swift motion.

        He released his bow and his arrow pierced through the air, landing exactly at where he aimed as he sighed with relief.

        We made it just in time.

        Emi and Kris were startled by the arrow that landed near their feet, along with the bandits and immediately they knew, they werent the only ones here.

        “Heads up! We arent just the only ones after them! One of the bandits hollered and they glanced around wildly, watching out for anything suspicious.

        “Kris, did you come alone? Emi whispered to Kris, who just nodded solemnly at her enquiry.

        That means, the arrow is from someone else that we completely do not know.

        “This arrow is a warning shot, either for them or us. Kris explained to Emi, who gave him a dubious look and Kris frowned at her.

        “Seeing how we arent able to spot them, they must have shot from quite a distance. The further it is, the harder it is to aim and shoot. Furthermore, their aim was precise, it landed exactly between our feet and theirs.

        “What if it was actually a missed shot?

        “Thats highly unlikely, this person is extremely skilled in archery to land a shot like this.

        “You there! You better stop your chattering unless you want a sword in your throat!

        Kris glared fiercely at the bandit who threatened them and the bandit was slightly alarmed by his venomous look. A flicker of recognition appeared in his eyes and he started to lower his weapon, blanching as he continued staring at Kris.

        “Wa-wait a minute, youyou areyou are the leader of the Dragoons!

        What?

        Sergi didnt send them?

        Emi frowned in confusion and a thought immediately struck her mind, her eyes widening in alarm.

        “Someone else is after you, other than Sergi. Kris finished her thoughts for her and before they could continue any further, they heard horses galloping towards their direction. The riders unsheathed their swords, charging straight for their direction.

        Kris and Emi braced themselves for the upcoming battle, only to be surprised when the riders ignored them completely, aiming for the bandits. Immediately, a guard dressed in a slightly different uniform appeared before them, kneeling down.

        “My lord, my lady. I apologise for being late, we were ordered by the Elder to you safely until the next town. The guard explained, standing up as he addressed them politely.

        Kris was accustomed to being addressed that way as he nodded nonchalantly, getting on to the horse without delay.

        Mylady?

        Emi blinked incredulously, it was her very first time being addressed in such a polite way, especially for being a thief.

        “Emi, lets go. Kris said, extending his hand out to Emi.

        “Al-alright. Emi hurriedly climbed onto the horse with Kris help, and the bandits effort to stop them proved futile, since they were blocked by the guards who overpowered them in numbers.

 

 

************************************************

 

 

        “Thank you, this is far enough. You should return to your family, youve done enough. Kris spoke and Emi could see the worry in the guards eyes fade away.

        “Thank you my lord, my lady, I wish the both of you a safe journey back. I apologise for-

        “There isnt a need to, you may go now. Kris interrupted him, a tiny smile on his face as he dismissed the guard, who gratefully obeyed his order.

        Emi was still affected by the guards way of addressing her, which made her remain silent all this time. However, she was even more surprised by how empathetic Kris was towards the guards feelings, it was her first time seeing him this way.

        I guess only one can truly understand the importance and love of a family, after losing them.

        A small smile tugged at her lips, an impressed look in her eyes as she gazed at Kris who seemed deep in his thoughts.

        Though he may have a cold exterior and is a man of few words, he is a good man but with a broken heart.

        If I had met him in a different way, maybe I wouldnt jump to conclusions about him too quickly.

        Without any words, he took hold of Emis arms and pulled her forward, wrapping her arms around his waist. Her cheek pressed against his warm back, her eyes wide, Emi tried to pull back only for Kris to keep her in place and she began to feel slightly flustered.

        “What are you doing?

        “Taking a shortcut. Kris answered simply, turning the horse around and heading into the forest, he had to hurry since the sun would set soon.

        “Then why is that a need for us to be this close? Emi questioned, trying to pull back once again but Kris wouldnt allow it. Instead of answering her, Kris only smiled in response, relishing in their closeness.

 

 

***************************************************

 

 

        Night came and Kris was glad that they managed to reach his destination on time, his eyes landed on a familiar small hut in front of him and he jumped down from his horse.

        “Why is there a hut here? Emi asked, jumping down from the horse and she gasped, stumbling due to the slippery mud. She felt a strong arm wrapping around her, stabilizing her easily and she held her breath, lifting her head up.

        A pair of familiar eyes gazed down intently at her and she felt his arm tightening around her, Emi felt her heart palpitating at his heated gaze. She couldnt keep a steady eye contact with him, with the way he was looking at her.

        “Be careful, its slippery. Kris warned softly, his voice taking on a huskier tone. It sent a chill down Emis spine and she nodded numbly, clearing . 

        “I understand, can you let me go now? Emi tried to appear nonchalant but it was futile, Kris could clearly see how she was avoiding making eye contact with him and her voice doesn't sound as harsh as she usually does.

        Slowly withdrawing his arm back, he observed Emi who took quick steps towards the hut, completely forgetting her earlier question about the hut. It was his first time seeing her in this state over him, a smile made a way across his lips as he brought the horse to the small stable built beside the hut.

 

 

***************************************

 

 

        Bartholomew sat on the comfortable chair, distaste evident on his face as he glanced around the mansion once again. Everything was too ostentatious for his taste, but he knew Morand enjoyed showing off his wealth and collection.

        Even this chair, albeit comfortable but too luxurious for my taste.

        I cant believe Im being confined here, in this damn mansion.

        The doors to the room burst open and Morand stepped into the room, a clouded look in his eyes. Bartholomew knew that the plan to kidnap Emi Winters didnt go according to what he wanted, since he knew a more powerful force behind Emi.

        “You knew this would happen, didnt you?

        “What do you mean? Bartholomew feigned ignorance, giving Morand a mocking look as he smirked.

        “Dont play me for a fool!

        Bartholomew grimaced, covering his ears at Morands booming voice which fueled his anger further as Morand clenched his fists.

        “The Shadow Rogue, and the leader of the Dragoons. You shouldnt underestimate them, Morand, they arent that easy to hold captive of.

        “I could care less about the leader of the Dragoons. I only want the Shadow Rogue and the Timeless Necklace.

        “Hmph, you share a common goal with someone else it seems. Bartholomew snorted, suspiring heavily.

        “Oh? And who might that be?

        His questioned made Bartholomew light up in glee, a calculative look in his eyes as he grinned at Morand. If you let me go, Ill tell you. The both of you could team up to together, since you share the same goals.

        Alas, these two idiots will end up fighting against each other over the same thing, since neither party are willing to share from what Ive seen.

        “Fine, Ill no longer imprison you here, but that doesnt mean Im letting you go. The Shadow Rogue and you, I need you two.

        Bartholomew narrowed his eyes, knowing Morand only wants them for their skills to steal, he was obsessed with collecting kind of artifact, be it jewelries, books or equipment.

        “Alright then, theres no point in running from you anyway. He shrugged nonchalantly, his smirk remaining on his face. Morand furrowed his eyebrows, not understanding what was on Bartholomews mind.

        Tch.

        I can never understand what is going on in that mind of his.

        I guess I have to trust him, for now.

        Morand commanded his servants to pass him a quill and a paper, immediately writing down on the paper.

        “Pass this message to Sergi. Morand demanded, shoving the letter to Bartholomew.

        “Yes, yes my lord. Bartholomew rolled his eyes at his order, snatching the letter from his hands before dashing towards the window, leaping out from it.

        Morand watched him go with skeptical eyes, beckoning his servant to come closer.

        “Yes, my lord?

        “Send someone to spy on him, and if the spy doesnt report back to me, send someone to get rid of Bart. You are dismissed.

        “Yes, my lord. The servant nodded obediently, scampering off to issue his masters orders.

 

 

*************************************************

 

 

        Strolling in the woods at night was something that frightened many, however, to Emi, it was a sense of comfort. It was less scary than the punishments she received for failing her assignments or living in the streets.

        She heard the sound of water flowing and she perked up, knowing that the placement of the hut should be somewhere near a river. Otherwise, it would have been difficult for the people living her to obtain food and water.

        Traversing across the trees, she eventually reached the river, it wasnt impossible to navigate her way through the forest due to the moon. She left markings on the trees to find her way back, so she knew she wouldnt get lost in this forest.

        Hm?

        I see something.

        She gaped at her surroundings in amazement, her hand covering . Fireflies hovered over the river, fluttering gently as the water gleamed, clearly reflecting the pretty fireflies above it. The mixture of green and yellow light made her surroundings so serene, the pretty lights making Emi feel as if she was living in a fantasy world.

        Immersed in the beautiful scenery, Emi didnt notice someone walking up beside her, standing next to her. He watched her captivated expression with a smile on his face, not paying any attention to enchanting scenery at all.

        “So beautiful. Emi whispered out, astounded.

        “Yes, it is. Kris agreed, still staring at Emi and she was startled by the sudden intrusion.

        “Kris? Why are you here? Werent you sleeping?

        “I wasnt, I saw you wandering off so I followed you.

        Somehow, Emi knew if it was some other man saying this to her, she would have punched him in the face. However, with Kris telling this to her, she felt butterflies in her stomach.

        “If you werent sleeping, what were you doing? Emi frowned and Kris only responded with an enigmatic smile.

         Seeing that smile, Emis heart skipped a beat and she hurriedly glanced away, focusing her attention on the beautiful scenery again.

        Without warning, Kris reached out his hand and held onto Emis wrist, bringing her closer to him. She stumbled forward, looking up at Kris with an alarmed look.

        “Kris?

        He proceeded to bend down, until his eyes matched her eye level and she recoiled back. His face was way too close to her for her comfort as she blinked rapidly, her heart beating irregularly.

        His stare.

        It was the same exact stare he was giving me earlier.

        Emi bit on her lower lip, finding it hard to swallow her saliva. Just then, she noticed how his eyes immediately went to her lips. She almost choked on her saliva at that subtle movement; if she wasnt so observant, she wouldnt have noticed it.

        “Emi. He whispered her name out in such a fervent tone, her breath caught in .

        “Yes? Emi barely managed her word out, feeling the charged atmosphere around her. Trying her best to remain composed, it was proving to be futile as every second that went by, she felt as if she was melting under his intense gaze.

        “I think that I…”

        Emi observed the attractive man before her with wide eyes, her heart beating louder with each beat.

        “I think that I like you.  

 


Hi there guys! I apologise for the late update since I was too busy with my internship and personal life, I can't find the right time to sit down and write properly D;
Also, I don't know where the format keeps on changing for me, I apologise for the different fonts for the chapters D; D;
I will fix them when I have the time, for now, I'm wayyy too busy. Thank you for sticking with me, and I hope you enjoy this chapter as usual <3, have a nice weekend ^^!

PS: Get ready for the incoming fluff in the next few chapters :3