A Miserable Man

The Timeless Necklace

         Kris’ frantic yell awoke everyone in the house, but the thief was swift. The thief’s immediate reaction was to make a dash towards the window and Kris instantly gave chase, alas, the thief’s legs were longer, allowing him to take longer strides.

          In that moment, the door swung open, Kris’ parents stumbling into the room along with Yun. Just with a glimpse of the entire commotion, Yun joined the knots in his head while Kris’ parents were still trying to comprehend the situation.

          “What’s wrong?” Kris’ father exclaimed in a panicked manner as the thief vaulted over the window ledge, his figure disappearing into the night. Kris clicked his tongue, leaning over the window and preparing to jump down like the thief.

          “Kris, I’ll go instead!” Yun hollered and Kris spun around, giving Yun a solemn nod as he moved out of the way. Kris observed as Yun’s lean body disappeared past the window, the gas lamps in the street weren’t bright enough to illuminate the entire street.

          “Damn.” Kris cursed softly, feeling someone pat him comfortingly on the shoulder.

          “Why were you trying to face the thief alone, Kris?” Kris’ mother asked in concern while his father sighed, squeezing his eyes close as he pressed his fingers onto the bridge of his nose.

          “I just happened to stumble upon him—more importantly, we have to catch him! He has stolen all of the jewelleries!” Kris cried out in alarm.

          “It’s fine, son. I’m just thankful that you didn’t get hurt, I’m more worried for Yun than the jewelleries.” Kris’ father stated, giving Kris a small smile.

          “What? But that thief has the jewellery that you made personally for the duchess! Don’t you need to bring it to her tomorrow?”

          “All of your lives are more important than me satisfying the duchess, I’ll reason it out with her.”

          Kris furrowed his eyebrows, glancing back out at the window.

          Yun, make sure you catch that bastard.

         

         

          ****************************************************

         

         

          Unfortunately, Yun came back empty-handed, a miserable expression on his face.

          “I’m so sorry, my lord, I have failed you.” Yun grovelled onto the ground and Kris’ father rushed up to Yun, quickly asking him to stand up. Yun was slightly injured as he managed to catch the thief at one point, both of them getting into a scuffle.

          “Are you alright?” Kris’ mother questioned in concern, checking Yun’s body for any serious injuries.

          “My body isn’t important right now, the jewelleries…the thief…he caught me off guard, blinding me by throwing dirt into my eyes—the jewelleries…” Yun choked out, tears of disappointment welling up in his eyes as he inhaled in a deep breath

          “The jewelleries are much more important! I apologise for being so worthless, the life you have given me and yet, I couldn’t use that life to help you in the slightest-“

          Yun felt a resounding smack echoing throughout the house, his head swinging to the side as he felt a sting at his right cheek. He blinked in confusion, causing a tear to slide down his face as he slowly lifted his head up to Kris’ father.

          Kris watched the scene in front of him, wide-eyed at his father hitting Yun. He noticed his mother running towards Yun, engulfing Yun in a hug and Kris’ expression softened.

          “You stupid child, do you think we gave you this life for you to sacrifice it for us?” Kris’ father said, his tone fierce.

          “Oh, Yun, you silly child. How could you think that way? We didn’t give you this life to die for us, we gave it to you because we loved you.” Kris’ mother sniffled, squeezing Yun slightly while Yun’s tearstained face was utterly shocked.

          “We treat you like our child, our son. Do you think I would want my son to throw away his life that easily?” Kris’ father barked out his words and Yun looked down, seeing Kris’ mother’s body shaking slightly.

          Awkwardly hugging her back, he hung his head down as tears welled up in his eyes again. “…I’m sorry, I’m so…sorry.” He uttered the words softly, sounding completely vulnerable as he felt tears flowing out of his eyes.

          “I’m sorry.” He choked out the same words, his voice hoarse and Kris’ mother released him, glaring at him with her puffy, red eyes.

          “Don’t ever think like this again, got it?”

          “I’m sorry.”  

          Kris narrowed his eyes at Yun, marching up to him and smacking Yun in the head as Yun let out a small pained yelp, rubbing at his head.  

          “Oi, you stupid idiot. You think you are repaying your debt by sacrificing your own life? Then, what’s the purpose of us giving you this life?”

          “See, even your brother understands it.” Kris’ father sighed out, ruffling Yun’s messy hair.

          Yun only sobbed louder in return and Kris grimaced. “Don’t cry, aren’t you a man?”

          “Shut up.” Yun sniffled, rubbing at his eyes and the whole family broke out into short chuckles.

         

         

          ************************************************

         

         

          The duchess was enraged to find that her promised jewellery was not delivered to her. She organised a gathering for the sake of brandishing it, wanting to garner everyone’s envy. Cancelling the gathering would definitely affect her reputation and she was extremely prideful.

          “Make another one, within ten hours.” The duchess demanded selfishly and Kris’ father almost choked on his saliva at her ridiculous order.

          “Your Highness, I’m afraid that is an impossible request, no artisan can ever create anything perfect in less than ten hours.”

          The duchess threw a fit and Kris’ father cringed, aghast at how a royalty is behaving. He assumed that they were regal at all times, composed and arrogant. The duchess continued throwing a fit, until an idea struck in her mind.

          “Fine, I’ll extend the deadline for the jewellery, it can’t be helped since you were robbed by a pathetic thief that you couldn’t stop, hmph. On one condition, create a fraud for me, I have to present something to my guests, I can’t possibly appear empty handed.”  

          Kris’ father couldn’t protest, since he didn’t want to anger her any further. After all, he was left with nothing now and his whole family couldn’t return as he had no money to pay for the trip to return home. The only way for him to earn money was from the payment of the necklace, which would take another few months to complete.

          Soon after, he returned home and instantly started on creating a fake jewellery. His whole family was worried about how it would turn out, but he reassured them again and again that everything would be fine.

          The party began and the duchess displayed the fake jewellery proudly, her guests bewitched by the fake jewellery, not knowing it was fake.

          “It’s fake, isn’t it?” One of her guests stated haughtily, causing the duchess to stiffen and her guest snickered at her reaction.

          “…how dare you? Do you think you have the right to claim it is fake?” The duchess hissed out.

          “Oh, your Highness, I certainly do not, it’s this gentleman beside me that has the right.” Her guest stepped aside, revealing a gentlemen who was a renowned jewellery appraiser.

          The duchess couldn’t deny it and to save her own reputation, she hastily dumped the blame on Kris’ father. As a result, his whole reputation was the one affected instead, it instantly went downhill and no one dared to purchase anything from him any further.

          The duchess tossed them aside, only giving them a small amount of money as payment. It wasn’t enough for them to return to their home country and the whole situation went downhill from there.

          Kris’ mother gets ill easily and without any medication available, especially since they were extremely poor, her illness claimed her life. The whole family mourned for her death, Kris’ father taking it the worst and he eventually sank into depression.

          If only I thought about it further, if only I hadn’t brought them here.

          Kris’ father sobbed to himself, clutching onto the last letter his wife wrote to him before her death.

          If only I stopped that thief, if only I hadn’t been so careless.

          Yun hid at the corner of the room, his head on his knees as he cried, his painful sobs echoing throughout the room.

          If only I had been stronger, if only I had been quicker.

          Kris’ lifeless eyes stared into thin air as his tear-stained face was wiped from any emotion.

          It took a toll on every one of them, Kris was no longer cheerful, his childlike innocence was gone and he never smiled or laughed any more.

          Yun focused on getting stronger and stronger, ensuring that he didn’t drop his guard any time, he was always alert. Kris accompanied him in his training and whereas, Kris’ father outlook on life became totally bleak.

          He lost all motivation to work, to live and the only thing preventing him from giving to his suicidal thoughts was his two sons. There were times he attempted to suicide, but he was always stopped by them, both of them sobbing and clinging onto him, begging him to survive for them.

          Eventually, Kris’ father also fell ill due to him neglecting his health.

          “Father.” Kris muttered weakly, clutching onto his father’s hand and pressing it to his lips, a tear escaping his eye. Meanwhile, Yun stood beside Kris, tears welling up in his eyes as he pressed onto his eyes, trying to prevent his tears from flowing out.

          Kris’ father managed a weak smile on his face as he reached out to hold onto both of their hands.

          “I’m sorry, for not being the best father.”

          “No, you were the best, you will always be the best father I’ve ever had.” Kris shook his head adamantly, squeezing his father’s hand and Yun choked out a few words in agreement.

          “Take this and read it, my only regret in life is not seeing the two of you find the perfect partner to spend your life with.” Kris’ father held the smile on his face, his pale face contorting in pain as he coughed violently.

          …and bringing all of you here with me.

          “Live well, the both of you.”

          Minutes later, Kris’ father closed his eyes and passed away. The thief not only ruined their entire life, but along with that, they stole the most treasured jewelry of their family.

         

         

          *****************************************************

         

         

          Almost a year later, Kris sat down at a corner in a tavern, chugging down his drink without pausing. Slamming the cup down on his table, he let out a heavy sigh, running his hand through his hair. The hearty laughter, the loud chattering and the excitement from the crowd as they watched the brawl was cut off from his world.

          It was silent all around him and he was snapped out from his reverie when someone settled down opposite him.

          “That’s a broody atmosphere you have there.” Yun commented with a small smirk.

          “What about the brawl?” Kris questioned, raising his hand up for another cup.

          “Complete victory.” Yun’s smirk transformed into a victorious grin and Kris just rolled his eyes, his mouth curving into a small smile.

          “But that isn’t all, I also got some information.”

          “Information?” Kris repeated, just as another cup was shoved towards him and he accepted it, drinking a sip from it.

          “The Timeless Necklace.” Yun said, his grin disappearing from his face as it turned grave.

          Kris’ grip on the cup holder tightened, snapping his eyes towards Yun.

          “Where is it?” Kris questioned eagerly, a determined look in his eyes as he slowly placed his cup on the table.

          “In the hands of someone going by the name of Lord Morand.” Yun answered, taking the cup from Kris and taking a large gulp.

         

         

          *****************************************************

         

         

          “So, Kris was some sort of rich heir to a family or something?” Zak questioned as he balanced himself properly.

          Yun only smirked, shrugging. “It’s not my position to say anything about his past, if you really want to know, you should ask him.”

          Zak frowned, shaking his head in response. “No, I don’t think I should, besides, whatever his past is doesn’t matter. He’s still one hell of a great leader, I don’t regret joining his mercenary group till this day.”

          Yun only smirked wider at Zak’s answer, urging his horse to go faster and Zak did the same.

          I wonder if you will be the cure, Emi Winters.

          I want Kris to be able to smile and laugh again, just like he did when he was younger.

          It’s miserable to see him like this.

          “Yeah, one hell of a great leader.” Yun muttered in agreement, an intent look in his eyes as he observed Kris, seeing the same panicked expression on Kris’ face when he was younger.

          But one hell of a miserable man.

         

         

          ************************************************

         

         

          The inn owner yawned loudly, resting his chin on his palm as he watched the tiny droplets sliding down slowly on his glass window. It was still early in the afternoon but due to the weather, it seemed like it was close to evening time.

          “A slight drizzle huh, what a nice weather.” The inn owner muttered to himself. His inn was awfully quiet, due to only a few customers sitting around here and there.

          It was to be expected, everyone would only be back here at the inn only when the sun sets and the rain wasn’t helping either. The inn owner scratched his beard, feeling his eyes getting heavier and heavier with each passing second.

          This is a perfect weather for sleeping.

          Suddenly, the door to his inn was pushed open. The ringing of his bell startled him awake as he narrowed his eyes to the door, wondering who it was that interrupted his peaceful nap.

          It was someone dressed in a cloak and the person approached him, the lighting revealed to cloak to be slightly wet from the rain. The person unveiled, the inn owner’s eyes widening in surprise when it turned out to be a beautiful woman.

          “One room, for a night.” The beautiful woman demanded tiredly, in a feminine voice.

          “…ye-yes, of course.” The inn owner stuttered, still dazed from the sudden appearance of a beautiful woman.

          “Your name, please.”

          The inn owner realised that the woman was reluctant to say her name, her eyebrows furrowed.

          “…Winters.” She answered softly, a cautious look in her eyes.

          “Alright, let me show you-“

          “I’ll find it myself.” The woman cut him off curtly, snatching the key that was labelled with a room number, from the inn owner’s hands and marching up the stairs.

          The inn owner was speechless at her rudeness. He proceeded to grumble at how beautiful woman always had an attitude about them.

          Halfway up the stairs, Emi winced at the sharp pain that stabbed at her leg. She clicked her tongue, hurrying to the room and unlocking the door. Without hesitation, she hurled her backpack onto the stark white bed as she struggled to settle onto the comfortable bed, dressing the wound on her leg.

          The candles were lit up in the room, despite it being raining, some sunlight still streamed into the room, providing her enough light to observe her surroundings. The room was small, with only a comfy bed, a small wooden table at the middle of the room, a tiny closet at the corner of the room; right next to the bathroom.

          Damn it.

          It hurts way more than I expected.

          After dressing her wound, she flopped onto the bed, facing the ceiling as she heaved an exhausted sigh.

          “…where are you now, mother?” Emi mumbled to herself, her voice meek and vulnerable.

          I swear to find you, before I leave this world and then, once I find you…

          Emi’s eyes fluttered close as memories of her past flashed through her mind, lifting her arm up and covering it over her eyes.

          I’ll ask you everything.

          One particular memory made her flinch and she instantly bolted up from the bed. Running a hand through her hair, she started to ruffle it in frustration.

          It was the memory where Kris caught her bathing in the river. She could clearly remember every word he said, every reaction he did.

          Why?

          Why is he always appearing in my mind whenever I am alone with my thoughts?

          “Ughhh.” Emi groaned to herself, taking her backpack from her bed and throwing it skilfully onto the small table in the middle of the room. Shutting her eyes, she just wanted to get some sleep for now, fatigued from her long trip to the nearest town as she collapsed onto the bed.

          Unbeknownst to Emi, a cloaked stranger followed in an hour after her, immediately approaching the inn owner in a menacing manner.

          “Pardon me, have you seen this woman around this area?” The cloaked stranger asked in a masculine voice. He pointed his index finger towards the paper, holding it in front of the inn owner’s face.

          The inn owner squinted his eyes at the drawing on the paper, it was a drawing of a familiar beautiful woman. He continued to scan the drawing, inspecting it closely until it dawned on him it was the beautiful woman he saw before.

          “Ah! This woman, yes, I have seen her before!”

          The person tensed up as he leaned in closer, his voice urgent as he questioned him darkly.

          “Where is she?”   

 


Yes, yesss! I'm so glad, I finally have time to sit down and write a chapter properly. Sorry for the long wait, I present to you a longer chapter this time ;x. I hope you guys liked this chapter as usual, love you guys <3!