We Are All Humans

The Timeless Necklace

         “Ugh!” Emi groaned out in pain, her body landing roughly against the wooden floor. Slowly opening her eyes, her pained expression twisted into a fierce glare as she wrestled herself of the person’s grip.

          “Winters, how many times am I going to catch you like this?” A man said, revealing to be Kris who tackled her to the floor. He lifted himself off the floor, pinning both of his arms beside her head and raising an eyebrow at her.

          “Get off me.” Emi grunted out, slamming her elbow to his shoulder, making him cry out in shock and he faltered. She took this opportunity to scoot away and kick him off balance, causing him to fall to the ground and she stood up quickly, dusting herself off.

          “…that’s a new move…” Kris winced out, rubbing at his shoulder and he continued laying on the wooden floor.

          Another failure, again.

          “You know, Winters, you are part of the family now, why are you trying to steal something from your family member?” Kris said, sitting up and staring at Emi, whose back was turned towards him.

          “Let’s be realistic here, Kris, it’s only temporary. In twenty days, that friendly behavior of yours and everyone here is going to change completely.” Emi retorted, slamming Kris’ room door open and marching out of the room.

          “Friendly?”

          “What? You didn’t know that?” Someone questioned, making Kris’ eyes widen in surprise.

          “What the—what are you doing standing outside of my door, so late in the night, Yun?” Kris frowned at the person leaning against his room door.

          “Come on, Kris, with the ruckus you and Emi make every night, how can you expect any of us to sleep? Look over there.” Yun scoffed, gesturing his head towards Emi, where they could see Zak beside her, his arm around her shoulders.

          “So, guess you didn’t manage to steal the necklace back successfully today either, huh?” Zak grinned, probing cheekily and Emi furrowed her eyebrows.

          “Go bug someone else, Zak.” Emi muttered in annoyance, shrugging off Zak’s arm.

          “Looks like everyone is slowly warming up to her.” Yun commented, a smile on his face as he watched the both of them disappear down the corridor, hearing a few laughter from the other mercenary, knowing they were poking fun at Emi’s failed attempt again.

          “…you know, Kris, frowning isn’t a good habit.” Yun chuckled and Kris’ face softened, not even knowing he was frowning.

          “Why are you feeling unhappy at them warming up to her? Aren’t you doing the same?”

          “I am?” Kris asked, bewildered.

          “Yeah, you are—you seriously don’t notice it, do you?” Yun pointed out, an amused smirk on his face.

          “…no, I thought I was acting the same I was before, treating her like a criminal, not a friend or family.”

          “Then why did you welcome her into this family?”

          “I thought it felt appropriate at that time since everyone was welcoming her, but that doesn’t erase the fact that she is a criminal to me.”

          He thought it felt appropriate?

          Kris, you must’ve been influenced by something else, you wouldn’t have said those words so easily.

          Yun thought before snorting loudly, shaking his head. “Kris, I’ve been wanting to say this for a long time now, has Emi ever done anything wrong ever since she stepped foot into this home of ours?”

          Kris opened his mouth to retort but nothing came to his mind, not a single thing at all.

          He could only recall the time she dressed Zak’s wounds, the time she fainted in the secret passageway, the time she tried shooting an arrow and all of them didn’t seem to have any ill intentions at all.

          She’s not a criminal…

          She’s just a normal…human being, she’s a woman.

          “…I guess not.” He answered hesitantly, a baffled look on his face. He felt the same way he felt a few days ago, when he realised that Emi was a human; a human capable of emotions.

          “Not every criminal in this world is out to ruin people’s lives, Kris.” Yun added, standing up and strolling away, waving at Kris with the back of his hand.

          Why did she become a thief then?

          Kris wondered to himself, suddenly remembering the time that he hugged her and ran towards her side, concerned for her safety.

          …why did I feel that way, at that point of time?

          Yun continued strolling down the corridor, whistling happily to himself and he paused in his steps, glancing at the attic, a smile on his face.

          “Don’t worry, Emi, I have a feeling that friendly behavior of Kris will stay, along with the others.”

          It will stay for a long, long time.

          Kris just haven’t realised it yet.

          Yun continued forward, not in the mood to proceed back to his sleep.

           

         

          ************************************************

         

         

          Emi inhaled in a deep breath, pulling the bowstring back as she focused on the target, which was a wooden dummy with a red circle in the middle of its chest.

          “Shoot it!” Someone ordered her and she released the arrow, it zoomed past the air and sadly, past the dummy too. Alas, the arrow of hers nearly hit another mercenary again who was chopping the firewood, freezing in place when the arrow whizzed past his face.

          Her instructor, which was the mercenary she almost shot on her first attempt of the bow, roared with laughter. Meanwhile, Emi held an apologetic expression on her face.

          “Crap, I’m so sorry, Lin!” Emi hollered and the mercenary who was holding the fire axe in the air, Lin, was still rooted to the ground, not daring to move.

          “…can I move now?” Lin asked and Emi winced, nodding her head at him and he heaved out a sigh of relief.

          “I wonder how many times that is now, Emi.” Lin shook his head, resuming back to his chopping,           

          “Emi, when it comes to the bow, you are an epitome of a walking hazard!” The mercenary who was the first victim of her bow continued laughing at her failure.

          “Shut up, Hunter, if you continue mocking me, I’ll make sure the arrow aims for you.” Emi scowled, resuming the same stance as Hunter taught her. Lin noticed it, immediately dropping his fire axe onto the grass, swiftly walking away.

          “I’m out of here.” Lin muttered to himself and Emi huffed, aiming at the wooden target again. Emi squinted her eyes at it, biting on her lip as she pulled back the bowstring, taking in a deep breath.

          Hunter’s instructions replayed in her mind as he silently watched her, crossing his arms over his chest.

          “Winters.” Kris called out, startling Emi and she released her bowstring by accident.

          Oh damn!

          “Kris, you just-“ Emi hissed out, only to be interrupted by Hunter’s loud gasp and she frowned, turning her head towards him.

          “Emi, you—you did it…” Hunter pointed his finger shakily at the wooden target, the arrow barely touching the red circle but it was progress.

          It was the first time Emi’s arrow ever landed  anywhere on the target.

          “Wh-what? But it’s—oh my god…” Emi’s irritated expression contorted into an astonished one. Her hand flying to as she stared at her arrow.

          “She did it?”

          “Emi did it!”

          “Finally!”

          “Oh thank god, I don’t want to be shot by arrows anymore.”

          “Holy , she managed to do it!”

          Everyone around the area gasped in surprise and Hunter ruffled her hair, grinning proudly at her. However, she was too dumbfounded to even react while Kris stared at the wooden target, an impressed look on his face.

          All the mercenaries started gathering around her, congratulating her by ruffling her hair and patting her on her back or her shoulders. Despite Kris standing there, many of them ignored him and congratulated her.

          Finally recovering from her amazement, delight sparkled in her eyes, a small grin tugging at her lips. She thanked everyone with an adorable grin and Kris repeatedly called out to her, letting out a sigh of frustration when there was no answer. Eventually, he decided to shove everyone aside and grab onto her wrist, dragging her away from the crowd who looked at them in confusion. Nevertheless, Emi wasn’t bothered by that, since she was too busy basking in her glory of finally landing on her target.

          “Kris, did you see that?” Emi asked excitedly, not putting up any resistance as he pulled her along into the forest, heading to the river where no one would disturb them.

          “Yes, I did.”

          “That was amazing! I finally landed on the target!”

          “Yes, congratulations on that, Winters.”

          Reaching the river, Kris released his grip on her wrist when he pulled her forward one final time and Emi was too distracted by her astonishment that she tripped over a stray rock lodged into the ground.

          Kris spun around at that moment, just in time to catch her as she fell towards him. Blinking rapidly in surprise, Kris wrapped both of his hands around her arms to balance her and Emi was still elated over her small achievement to notice the position she was in.

          Lifting her head up, Emi grinned victoriously at him, her joyous expression causing Kris to be taken aback.

          “After training for so long, I finally hit it!” She exclaimed elatedly and Kris stared at her in silence, his eyes wide.

          “…yes, congratulations, Winters.” Kris broke out into a smile of his own, a chuckle escaping his mouth. The state that Emi was in resembled a toddler being given an ice-cream.

          The both of them remained still in the position for a while, with their grins on their faces, not even faltering for once. Until, the both of them snapped out from their daze and Emi silently gasped, jumping away from Kris when she felt the warm sensation on her arms. Meanwhile, Kris did the same, clearing his throat awkwardly as Emi rubbed at her arms.

          The feeling of his hands was still on her arms, a tingly sensation surrounding it. Kris stared at his hands, his mind recalling her soft skin and tiny wrist, his heart skipping a beat.

          “Wh-why did you bring me here?” Emi stuttered out, glancing at Kris before quickly looking away when his eyes met hers.

          “I wanted to ask you a few things.” Kris answered, glancing away at the same time.

          “About what?” Emi frowned, slightly confused and her hands dropped from her arms.

          “…about you.” Kris replied after a few moments of silence and Emi widened her eyes. Hesitantly turning her head, she met a pair of eyes gazing intently at her and her heart fluttered as she gave him a stupefied look.

         

         

          **********************************************

         

         

          It’s been days since the mysterious letter from an unknown person arrived and Sergi was brooding around in his bedroom, staring intensely at the letter in his hands, until a knock interrupted his thoughts.

          “What is it?”

          “Boss, I think it’s better if you come and see this for yourself.” An anxious voice responded and Sergi glowered at his door, climbing out of his bed and strutted towards it; swinging it open.

          His underling quickly greeted him, leading him to the entrance of the house, gesturing at the guards to open the door. The opened door showed a man standing there, his bag swung over his shoulder as his hand held onto it, a cocky grin on his face.

          “Good to see you again, Sergi.” The man greeted Sergi, saluting cheekily and Sergi stiffened at the sight of him.

          “You…” Sergi snarled out, flinging his fist at the man but the man dodged it with ease, throwing both of his hands up into the air.

          “Whoa, whoa. Before you start attacking me, let me explain what happened that day.”

          “What a load of crap, Bartholomew, there’s nothing to explain. You simply failed at the mission, that’s all.” Sergi spat at him and Bartholomew’s conceited expression hardened instantly.

          “I didn’t fail at it, if anyone did, it was you, Sergi.”

          “What the hell are you talking about?”

          “You let the leader get away and he ended up chasing after me!” Bartholomew hissed at him. Sergi narrowed his eyes at Bartholomew, before stepping aside.

          “Fine, come on in and explain everything, Bart.” Sergi gritted through his teeth. Bartholomew reverted back to his smug expression, walking phlegmatically into the house.

         

         

          ********************************************

         

         

          Emi opened , closing it and opening it again, her face warming up slightly at the earnest look that Kris was giving her.

          “Yo-you want to—know more…about me?” Emi repeated, perplexed by his words.

          “Yes.” Kris immediately answered, nodding his head at her. Emi opened again, staggering backwards and she closed it yet again; speaking was difficult for her now.

          “I—uh, I can’t…understand.” Emi struggled out her words, tilting her head to one side and Kris took a step forward.

          “What can’t you understand?”

         

         

          **************************************************

         

         

          Sergi and Bartholomew sat down at the table, Sergi absorbing the information that Bartholomew just gave him.

          “So, why did you personally come and see me? When you know I could’ve killed you if I wanted to.” Sergi questioned and Bartholomew smirked, leaning in.

          “I have a bargaining chip, Sergi.”

          Sergi raised a doubtful eyebrow at the new information. “Enlighten me, Bart.”

          “Emi Winters, she’s the key to all of this.” Bartholomew stated and Sergi snorted, shaking his head as he chuckled softly.

          “Even you too?”

          “What? What do you mean by that?” Bartholomew frowned at Sergi’s incredulous response.

          “It’s nothing, continue on, Bart.”

          “The weakness of Kris Wu, leader of the Dragoons, is Emi Winters.” Bartholomew explained to Sergi, who frowned at his words.

          “Come on, Sergi, he’s a human too.” Bartholomew rolled his eyes at Sergi’s slow reaction.

          A human?

          What does he—oh, holy crap.

          Sergi’s eyes widened in realization and he turned his head towards Bartholomew.

          “So, what’s the plan now, boss?” Bartholomew smirked wider at Sergi’s eyes glinting wickedly. 

 

 


I appreciate all of your comments for every chapter and I hope you are still enjoying my fic so far <3!