The Past

The Timeless Necklace

         Kris' family finally reached Europe, after the tedious voyage on the ship and train. It was fortunate that is father was proficient in the English language, communicating with the locals effortlessly. His father led them to an inn and they immediately felt welcomed by the homely atmosphere.

          The inn was mostly made out of oak, with the chimney at the rooftop, black smoke seen floating out of it. The exterior of the inn appeared dull, however, the warm lighting streaming out from the window accompanied by the guffawing of various customers in the inn somehow made the inn seem vibrant.

          The interior of it was surprisingly opposite from its exterior, the lighting and simple decorations, along with a small bar at the side of the inn added to the lively atmosphere of the inn. Small gas lamps hung from the roofs of the inn, along with candles on the table, covered by a glass container to ensure nothing caught on fire.

          There were a few plain paintings hung on the walls, wooden tables and chairs scattered around the inn, the receptionist’s counter just right beside the doorway. The small little bell placed on the door jingled lightly, informing the people of another traveller’s arrival to rest at the inn.  

          “This is where we are temporarily staying, I have someone very important to meet here in this town.” Kris' father told both Kris and Yun as they settled down in their room.

          All the rooms had the same exact design, with a candle holder on the bedside table and a small table and chair placed in the middle of the room. The medium-sized wooden bed frame was hidden underneath the bed that was stark white, along with the fluffy pillows. At the left corner of the room, there was a closet provided for them and whereas, on the right, there was a small dresser. Right beside the dresser was the entrance to the bathroom.

          “When are you meeting them?” Kris questioned, still slightly dazed from the new environment. After all, this was the very first time he was out from his own country, unlike his father, who has travelled around the globe multiple times.

          His father was a renowned artisan, a jeweller, to be more exact. People far and wide has heard about his beautiful crafted jewelleries, many of them ended up wanting a piece of his work for themselves. He was one of the world's finest jewellers and it wasn't a surprise for Kris to know that this time, it was a duchess that has set his sights on his father's work.

          His father recently made another exquisite piece, a necklace and it was one of his most famous works so far.

          The Timeless Necklace.

          His sole inspiration behind this magnificent piece was his beloved wife and family. Of course, he didn't have any intention to sell it, since it was only dedicated to his family and he would only allow his lovely wife to don it. However, that didn't stop the incessant requests of nobles around the world to purchase it from him.

          The duchess was an obsessive collector of jewelleries and she wanted to be the only one who could owned the legendary jewellery. Alas, Kris' father was persistent in his dedication and his only reason for coming here was to convince the duchess, once and for all.

          “I'll be meeting them two days later. Meanwhile, the both of you are allowed to roam around this place-“

          “Thank you, father!” Kris quickly replied, his eyes sparkling with excitement as he rudely interrupted his father. Yun rolled his eyes at Kris rudeness, shaking his head while Kris' mother sighed in response.

          “But, with only your mother accompanying you at all times.” His father finished his sentence, his tone fierce.

          “Aye aye, sir!” Kris gave his father a mock salute, a cheeky grin on his face. His father shook his head in return, ruffling his son's hair.

          Kris growled in annoyance, smacking his father's hand away, exasperated at how he was still treated like a child. His father continued chuckling, trying to ruffle his son's hair again and his mother watched the adorable scene in front of her, beaming with happiness.

          Yun held an amused smile on his face, observing the scene. He chuckled from time to time as Kris continued smacking his father's hand away. He was an orphan who ran away from the horrible orphanage that hardly took care of him. He was fed less than what the normal adolescent required, and he was constantly bullied by those around him. It was impossible for him to fend for himself against that many bullies, despite him being skilled against street fighting after all those years of fighting back against them.

          Almost on the verge of starving to death, he was rescued by his lord, Kris' father, who offered everything that he could have ever hoped for. In fact, he offered him even more than he expected, he was offered a family, a proper home, a proper education and a proper life.

          My only wish in my life is to ensure that the sight in front of me never changes.

          I'll protect every single one of them, with my life, to repay them with everything they have given me.

          An orphan, who had nothing to give but his life.

          However, Yun couldn't prepare himself enough for the tragedy that was about befall upon this kind-hearted people. Till this day, he still blames himself for not being able to protect his two beloved masters.

 

 

          *********************************************

 

 

          Two days passed quickly, the family enjoying their free time roaming the unfamiliar town. Astonishment was evident in the boys' eyes whenever they went, encountering numerous foreign objects that brightened their world significantly.

          The parents only watched them in bliss, their hearts melting at their precious child, including Yun, who held amazement in their eyes. Both of them were shining with child-like innocence, and the parents wouldn't have it any other way.

          They wanted to shield the both of them from the cruel world as long as they could, despite Yun experiencing half of it. Even though they knew they had to let Kris become a strong, independent individual of his own, they couldn't bear to show him the ugly side of the world.

          “Your Highness, please allow me to offer another suggestion.” Kris' father stated politely, bowing down respectfully.

          “Speak.” The beautiful duchess replied haughtily, sticking her nose up in the air as she sat in a regal position.

          The duchess’ mansion was enormous in size, with glamorous chandeliers hanging down from the ceiling almost everywhere in the house. Almost all of the flooring was carpeted in wine colour, the rest of the flooring stark white. They were currently in the luxurious room meant for important visitors, with an entrance to a small balcony at the side of the room.

          Kris’ father was sitting on the chair, the cushion that he was sitting on was incredibly comfortable, along with the cushion on his back. Even the chair was intricately designed to look glamorous, except for the glass table in front of him, which was just simply plain.

          The duchess sat opposite him, gently placing her cup of tea down onto the table. Kris' father only managed to drink a sip of his tea, too anxious to continue drinking it any further.

          “I am terribly sorry, but The Timeless Necklace is only meant for my family. In return, I would personally craft an exclusive jewellery, just for the sake of Your Highness.”

          The duchess hummed, flipping open her extravagant fan, elegantly fanning herself. Her luscious lips curved into a satisfied smile, her eyes twinkling in gratification.

          “That would be lovely, may I know its date of completion?”

          Kris' father tensed up, an anxious thought running through his mind.

          She wouldn't force me to stay here and complete it, would she?

          That would be insane! It would take months, I don't have enough resources to do it or even remain here that long!

          “...a few months or maybe even up to a year, Your Highness.”

          “Very well, I want it done as soon as possible, which means you'll be staying here until you have completed it.” The duchess demanded selfishly and Kris' father immediately shot his head up in disbelief.

          “Yo-your Highness, I'm afraid that is simply not possible for me. I do not have the essential resources to craft the exclusive jewellery right now, they are only available at my hometown.” Kris' father stated meekly as he quickly bowed down again.

          “Write down everything you require then, I'll provide everything and even a proper place for you to stay in temporarily.”

          Kris' father knew it was ridiculous to argue against the duchess' orders. Thus, he acquiesced in the duchess' decision and the whole family was detained from returning back to their hometown.

          Kris was ecstatic to hear that they would remain here for a longer period of time, allowing him and Yun to explore more of the wonders around the world. Eventually, they grew homesick, missing their own house, their own beds and even their very own delicacies.

          “When are we allowed to go back? We've been here for more than two months!” Kris complained to his mother, who shushed him instantly.

          “Be quiet, child! Your father needs to complete his work before we can return, haven't I repeated that a dozen times?” His mother chided him for asking the same question repeatedly.

          The house provided by the duchess was considered small in her terms, but to the family, it was bigger than their own house in their hometown. Thankfully, the interior only had simple decorations and furniture as Kris’ parents couldn’t stand houses with over-excessive designs. However, the material of the furniture was similar to the ones found in the duchess’ mansion; incredibly soft and comfortable.

          “But mother, it has already been two months since father have been cooped up in his room! We hardly even see him around the house!” Kris exclaimed in concern.

          “Hush, child. Your father needs to satisfy the duchess request or his reputation would be damaged, along with his business.”

          Kris grumbled to himself, storming off as Yun frowned at him, before glancing towards Kris' mother.

          “Milady, I apologise on his behalf, he is being inconsiderate right now, but that's because he misses his own home terribly.” Yun spoke, a concerned look on his face as he bowed slightly.

          “Silly child, why are you apologising?”

          His mother let out a resigned sigh, placing a gentle hand on Yun's shoulder.

          “Why are you the only one who understands it? Would you mind doing me a favour and talking some sense into that silly son of mine?”

          “Certainly, milady.” Yun agreed immediately, bowing again as he prepared to walk off.

          “Yun.”

          “Yes, milady?”

          “You are also being silly, I've told you so many times, call me 'mother'. You are my child, even if we aren't related by blood.” Kris' mother chastised gently and Yun spun around, a smile on his face as he bowed.

          “Yes, mother.”

          “That's better, now go and knock some sense into Kris.” She chuckled, gesturing for Yun to hurry.

 

 

          **********************************************

 

 

          Three months has passed since the day Kris' father met the duchess. Kris finally registered the importance of his father's job, especially for the work he is doing this time.

          They spent their days like any other normal family would. Chatting, having meals together, spending quality time together and Kris' father occasionally joined them, due to not having the luxury of time.

          Moreover, Kris and Yun would spar against one another every day, to get rid of the utter boredom. Day by day, both of their fighting abilities improved, with Kris catching up to Yun rapidly.

          The following morning, the whole family was greeted by the sight of their father occupying the seat outside the balcony. Greeting them with an exhausted smile, he declared that he was officially completed with his work, promising them that they would set off tomorrow. For today, he simply wanted to relax and spend some quality time with his family.

          Hence, they decided to venture out into the town and soak in its blissful atmosphere once more. Nevertheless, unbeknownst to them, the tragedy that was about to befall on them was today.

 

 

          ***********************************************

 

 

          It was midnight and Kris, who had been an extremely light sleeper since he was young, awoke to the strong wind blowing against his window.

          His window rattled slightly as his eyes snapped open, scanning his surroundings drowsily. Feeling parched, he decided to light the candle at the bedside table as he held onto the candle holder.

          Dragging his feet across the floor, he made his way down the corridor until he heard strange noises from the room beside him.

          This room...

          It's supposed to be father's work room, what's he doing inside there at such a late timing?

          Without hesitation, Kris turned the door knob and swung the door open coming face to face with a man dressed in black clothing. His face fully covered by a black mask, except for his eyes. The whole room was in an utter mess, however, Kris noticed something amiss in the room.

          He would normally be greeted by the sight of glittering jewelleries or materials, dazzling to his eyes. Now, the room was extremely dull, lacking any source of glittering objects.

          Kris' eyes landed on the haversack behind the intruder's back, his thoughts immediately connecting the dots. Opening his mouth, he inhaled in a deep breath, crying out the one word he would never forget his whole life.

          “Thief!”

          The source of his family's tragedy was solely because of one single person, because of one single criminal.

          A thief.

 


Hello, my lovely readers! I'm so so so verrry sorry for the late update, I'm so busy with school that I can hardly find any time to sit down and write properly D; ! I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter ;x.