A Mother's Love

The Timeless Necklace

It felt like days, years for Kris to reach the secluded town. His eyes gleamed with hope, jumping down from his horse in a hurry. Barging into a fishing village with a horse is risky, it would be unadvisable to garner too much attention.

However, instead of greeted by villagers and merchants on the busy streets, a desolate street greeted them. The only presence there was an elderly man, he held a calculative look on his face, an ambiguous smile playing on his thin lips.

"Gentlemen, do you have any business with my town?" The old man questioned, caution lacing his words.

The hope in Kris' eyes disappeared, suspicion surrounding them. They were puzzled, the merchant carts had no owners in them, the merchandise were in a mess, as if they evacuated the area quickly.

Yun studied the odd environment carefully, noting the guard's tower in the town, far ahead of them. He gestured discreetly at Zak, telling him to hide Bartholomew away. He regarded the elderly man with a look of awe, stepping forward to whisper into Kris' ear.

"Kris, the guard tower, up ahead." Kris followed Yun's words, glancing up at the tower that Yun mentioned.

I see.

They spotted us with a telescope.

Our tattoos and earrings clearly creates doubts, along with our swords.

This elderly here doesn't seem to be a normal mayor, he's perceptive.

They would have noticed Bartholomew too, who seems like he's being held captive.

He's bold, he probably thinks we wouldn't be so merciless to hurt an old man. It would make us seem like rotten trash.

"We apologise. We don't mean any harm, we are only here to find someone, or more specifically, a woman." Kris spoke, an impassive look on his face.

"A woman?" The elderly repeated, taking a tiny step forward. His tone suggested he knew something, making Kris more eager.

"Yes, a woman. Here, this is a picture of her." Kris showed the elderly a hand-drawn poster of Emi and the elderly couldn't stop the recognition that floated past his features.

The elderly stared intently at the poster, throwing them a quick glance. He contemplated, a frown apparent on his wrinkled face.

They don't seem trustworthy, especially with a hostage in their hands.

Are they here to kidnap her?

If I make the wrong move, I cannot predict the consequences. Taking risks isn't the correct move here.

"I'm sorry, but that woman..." The elderly said, showing repentance, trailing off as he hesitated. The words made Kris' heart skip a beat, the eager spark in his eyes disappearing. He grew sombre, each heartbeat of his drumming loudly, beating against his eardrums.

Emi.

You just have to be alive, even if it's only barely.

Please.

...I still haven't asked what I wanted to know. You can't leave me here, you can't die.

You can't die.

"The woman..." Kris probed, unable to hide the desperate plead in his voice.

"She's dead."

His heart came to a standstill and Kris gazed at the elderly with wide eyes. Yun, Zak and Bartholomew closed their eyes, agony evident on their faces. Yun opened his eyes, regret and worry in his eyes as he stared at Kris, who was frozen like a statue.

"...what did you just say?"

"She..." The elderly struggled with his words, looking away from Kris. "We were too late, she's somewhere unreachable now."

"Ho-how do I know you aren't lying?" Kris spoke with difficulty, swallowing the lump down in his throat. Something was throbbing painfully in his chest and he clutched at it, clenching his jaw.

"I can show you her body, but it has been bitten beyond recognition. The sharks were...devouring her eagerly, we couldn't-"

"Enough!" Kris stopped the elderly, his voice thundering. Everybody could hear the pain in his voice and he squeezed his eyes close, inhaling in a shaky breath. He rubbed at his chest, the incessant throbbing making it hard for him to breathe.

It was exactly like that time, the time when his mother left this world for another. She could no longer be reached or touched, he could never see that smile, hear that laugh, feel her warmth.

Now, it's the same thing.

Now, there's no more Emi, I can't see that smile she tried to hide anymore. The smile that suit her more than anything else.

I can no longer hear her soft laughter, one that makes you want to smile along with her.

I can no longer hold that small and warm body close to me. I can no longer hold onto that petite hand and her tiny wrist, which just gives you an urge to protect her forever.

"I'll come back again." Kris spoke, the gloomy atmosphere in the air never leaving. His voice was hoarse, his eyes gleaming with tears and the elderly blinked in surprise.

This man...

I see, this woman is someone important to him.

If he truly cares for her, it'll be possible for me to say.

"I need some time alone." Kris said to all of them, climbing easily onto his horse. He urged the horse to move and everybody could hear how his voice cracked, his hand still clutching tightly at his shirt, at the chest area.

"We'll handle Bartholomew for now." Yun said to Zak, who nodded his head obediently. Yun gazed at the direction that Kris went off, noting mentally in his mind. He sighed heavily, looking up at the sky, his proud figure slumping in sorrow.

Emi.

I don't know how Kris will develop from now on, but I do know one thing.

He'll never be able to fully recover, ever again. You were his last chance.

What should I do now that you've gone to a better place? Somewhere where no one can reach you?

...In my next life, I sincerely wish to have a sister like you.

"Emi, I'll miss you." Zak smiled ruefully at the sky, cursing quietly to himself, sniffing once.

Bartholomew had been unusually quiet all the while, and no one could tell what he was thinking. He only looked blankly ahead, not making any moves to escape, hardly moving from his spot at all.

 

 

************************

 

 

Emi sat at the edge of the wooden bridge, soaking her feet into the clear, cool water. She examined her surroundings, filled with an abundant amount of fishing boats. The villagers were shouting at one another, directing each other into the sea.

For the first time, Emi was dressed in a woman's clothes. It was a simple dress, and Emi insisted on not wearing a corset, it was her very first time after all. She felt strange wearing it, her movements were ungraceful and clumsy, but it didn't matter.

She smiled slightly to herself, inhaling a breath of fresh air, her eyes fluttering close. She was still recovering from her fatigue and injured leg, but it didn't matter too.

I've never felt so...free, so relieved...in my entire life.

I have been here for four days, today being the fifth day.

"Oh look, aren't ya that lady that fell from the sky? You gave us a big shock, lady. Bleeding from your leg, ya lucky there ain't no sharks that swallowed you whole." One of the fisherman said from a boat, that was getting ready to set off.

Emi smiled wryly at the fisherman's odd accent and speech. "Thank you, for saving my life. I'm grateful for that."

"Ya welcome, lady. Just don't be doing those silly stuffs again, getting eaten by sharks ain't a pretty thing." The fisherman rowed the boat paddle, ing the boat forward. He showed Emi a toothy grin, his yellow-stained teeth contrasting against his bright smile.

Accustomed to disgusting things, Emi only chuckled softly. "Yes, thank you. I'll take note not to fall from the sky again."

The people here were friendly, grumpy yet kind. The most important thing of all, no one here recognised Emi for who she really was.

It's as if I started afresh, it's as if I'm just a regular civilian.

I can live a normal life, I can choose to stay all day in a bookstore. I can choose to stay at home and master a recipe, I can be where I want to be.

Just staying here for almost a week, Emi found herself smiling more than she did in the past fifteen years. She has been staying with the doctor, since the doctor wouldn't let her go, until she had fully recovered.

Emi's sharp ears picked up on movement behind her, her eyes glinting menacingly as she spun around. Cupping some seawater in her hands, she prepared to splash it at the perpetrator. However, she found an adolescent male with a face full of freckles, tottering his way towards her in an adorable manner.

"Er-erm. The mayor ha-has sent me for this er--for you." The adorable boy stuttered with his words, utterly nervous to be speaking to her.

"Where can I find him?"

"Th-there, that uh--the town's tavern." He pointed towards a cottage. The stone pavement past the beach leading straight towards it, and Emi slowly stood up, slipping on her shoes, that reached her ankles.

"Sorry for the trouble." Emi smiled kindly at the young boy, strolling off. The young boy watched go, an awestruck look on his face.

 

 

***************************************

 

 

Pushing the wooden doors open, it creaked in response. Emi stepped into the tavern hesitantly, a sudden wave of memories assaulted Emi, causing her to stumble.

A brawl was present in the tavern she was in, with Yun and Kris. She barely dodged the body flying towards her, recalling how Kris pulled her into his arms. She could remember his every word and every look on his face, something tugging at her heartstrings. She smiled wistfully to herself, hugging her own body, trying to remember his warmth around her.

Kris.

Have you forgotten about me?

I'll come back soon, just wait a little longer.

Wait for me.

A tap on Emi's shoulder awoke her from her stupor, noticing the mayor standing right in front of her. The tavern was deserted, which was to be expected, it was still in the morning.

Beckoning for her to take a seat, she obeyed him and he took a seat beside her. "You were looking for me?"

The mayor nodded, his kind expression hardening after a moment.

"I'll be honest, I only helped you this much because I was showing gratitude."

"Gratitude?" Emi repeated, flabbergasted.

"A long time ago, someone saved my life. She implored me to give this to someone who resembles her in not just her looks, but her character too." The mayor dug into his pocket, revealing a letter hidden in his pocket. The letter was old, evident by its slight discolouration and the crumpled edges around the corners.

He passed the letter to her, who still seemed baffled by all of this.

Who could possibly want me to read this?

Who would even resemble me? 

A whiff of perfume drifted past Emi's nose, despite it being faint, Emi still caught onto it. The bittersweet smell tingled in her nose, tickling at her nostrils. Recognition crossed her face, which slowly contorted into anger and disappointment, followed by utter despair.

"This...this perfume smell--it's my..." Emi couldn't bring herself to say the word aloud, her lips quivering from the overwhelming emotions hitting her.

"I shall take my leave, I have another news for you but I guess it could wait." The mayor stated, exiting the tavern quietly. There was a peaceful silence hanging in the air, accompanied by the occasional whispers in the wind. The sunlight that entered via the windows illuminated the tavern, casting a shadow over Emi's head that was ducked down.

She clenched her fists lightly, the letter crumbling noisily in her hands. After a few moments, she finally gathered the courage to unseal the letter. Her hands trembled violently as she did so, biting on her lower lip.

 

 

My dearest daughter,

Forgive this cruel mother of yours, that abandoned you when you needed her most. Forgive this cowardly mother of yours, who wanted to run away from the troubles of this world.

You see, your father and I were never truly accepted wherever we went, people depised us. They despised our mixed marriage and you, our mixed child. Your father, who couldn't handle the stress from the society and his work disappeared without warning.

I was left alone, with no one to support me, I was still young and helpless and I knew the only way out was not having you.

I regretted my decision right away, rushing back to you immediately. However, when I got there, you were gone, I searched and searched for you and that's when I...

 

 

Teardrops plopped onto the discoloured letter, causing the ink to spread. Some part of the words became blurry, but it was still clear enough for Emi to comprehend the words. She muffled her sobs with her hand, realising she was crying once again, after fifteen long years.

 

 

...I didn't see the carriage coming my way. I was trampled on by multiple horses, my entire body was paralysed. I could only move my mouth and fingers, nothing else except that.

I don't expect you to love me as a mother, neither do I expect you to acknowledge me as one. What I do beg of you is asking for your forgiveness. I failed as a mother, I failed as a woman, I would live with this shame and regret for eternity.

I know I would not last much longer, and I know it would be impossible to see before I leave. I still love you despite that, I am proud to have you as my daughter, no matter what anyone says.

 

My last wish is for you to find a good family, and someone who will treat you well, someone who makes you very, very happy.

 

Please don't be like me, be better, be strong. Don't be like your pathetic mother. I believe in you.

 

I will love you forever, Emi.

 

Love,

Your mother  friend  someone who loves you very, very much.

 

There were teardrop stains on the letter, and Emi knew it didn't belong to her. The repeated cancelling and deletion of the words made Emi turn into a wailing mess, breaking down in uncontrollable sobs. Snot drooled from her nose as she sniffed loudly, rubbing at her face and nose. She could also see the more she went on, the shakier her writing became.

She still loves me.

She didn't abandon me, she came back!

She came back for me!

No matter what, she's still my mother who raised me, who fed me and who went through that excruciating pain to bring me into this world.

"I love you, mother. And I forgive you--I really do, I really do forgive you." Emi struggled the words out through her sobs and shaky breaths.

The mayor eventually entered the room, helping a kneeling Emi up, his face laced with concern. This made her let out a short chuckle in between her sobs and sniffling, a teary smile on her face.

"I thought you said you didn't care about me."

The mayor made a grimace, grunting reluctantly at her. After helping her up, the mayor exhaled heavily, not knowing whether to inform her of the news.

"Is there something you need to tell me?" Emi questioned, cleaning away her tears and snot with a handkerchief she received from him. Her voice was still a little shaky, but steadier than before.

"The man, who seems to care for you, is coming in a few hours. He wants to check your supposedly dead body."

The bartender, who appeared after the mayor called for him, handed a glass of water to Emi. She thanked him, gulping it down eagerly, quenching her thirst.

Dropping down from the bar stool, she sauntered to the window. The bright sunlight shone down on her, making her lift her hand up to shield herself from the scorching sun. A small smile was on her face, her blotchy and red eyes contradicting her elated smile.

"Kris." She muttered his name lovingly, remembering the numerous number of times he showed his concern for her.

"What do you plan to do, Emi?"

She whipped her head back to the mayor, surprise in her widened eyes.

"How do you know my name?"

"Your mother told me about you."

Her features softened, a beam stretching across her lips. She spun back around, gazing out the window. Observing as the villagers went about their days, bargaining for a cheaper price, spending time with their loved ones, laughing gleefully.

"What else what can I do other than showing myself?"

Kris.

This time, you don't have catch me.

This time, I'll return to you and when I return, I'll tell you everything.

 

 

*******************************

 

 

The rendezvous was held and the lord who had just returned from his long trip was beyond furious. His servants trembled in fright beside him, flinching when their lord threw a fit and slammed his fist on the mahogany table.

Nobody turned up.

The two parties that I brought together didn't show up.

He drummed his fingertips on the arm rest his luxurious chair, and he snapped his fingers. One of his servants immediately scuttled over, bowing.

"Yes, milord?"

"Get him."

"Who?"

"Who else can it be? You blubbering fool!" The lord roared at his servant, who squeaked in fright, bowing clumsily.

"Yes, milord, right away!"

Only he would know the reasons behind their actions.

 


Helloooo, here's another update for all of you <3! I hope you like this chapter, as usual, and have a great weekend ^^! Once again, thank you for sticking with me throughout the journey <3<3<3