A Careless Mistake

The Timeless Necklace

        In her haze, Emi managed to hear the footsteps of the people who just entered the manmade tunnel. She was gasping desperately for air, due to recalling the horrible memories of her past and she started clutching her head, teardrops slowly falling onto the ground. Despite the light shining onto her a few seconds later, it didn’t help her with her current predicament as she was too absorbed into her nightmares, she couldn’t hear or feel anything else anymore.

          “Hurry up and open it!” Kris commanded and Yun nodded his head, quickly dashing to the other entrance, banging loudly onto the entrance and pushing the metal object away at the same time. It immediately alerted the others who were patrolling around the area and they rushed to the entrance.

          Kris grunted, carrying Emi into his arms, frowning when she showed no visible reaction to the movement. He hurriedly passed Emi to Yun, who pulled her up the ladder along with the help of the others and still, she didn’t put up any resistance, neither did she made any visible reaction. All Kris could see was opening a little, mouthing incoherent words out that came out silent.

          When she was finally carried out into the open, she started coughing as her lungs gratefully accepted the air, tears still flowing out of her eyes as she glanced up at the blurry sky, standing still, her mind still not comprehending the current situation. Kris climbed up the ladder, instantly rushing to her side as he stood in front of her, furrowing his eyebrows, his eyes roaming around her body, checking for any injuries.

          “What the hell were you thinking? Are you trying to kill yourself?” Kris barked at her, but Emi continued staring up at the sky, ignoring him.

          “Hey, are you even listening to me?” Kris said, vexed when she remained silent and not acknowledging his presence. Opening his mouth again, he closed it when she looked down, gazing right into his eyes.

          However, something didn’t feel right about her, her eyes looked so foggy, like she wasn’t focusing on anything at all.

          He narrowed his eyes at her, waving his hand in front of her eyes. “Hey, are you okay…?”

          Emi’s unfocused eyes shifted towards the hand and another memory drifted across her mind.

          A young Emi, no older than the age of ten jogged down the busy street, panting as she carried a sack of food in her arms. Unfortunately, the sack teared causing some of the food to drop out and she immediately panicked, stumbling to catch them.

          No! Mother would be mad at me if I dirtied them!

          Due to not directing her attention to what’s in front of her, she bumped into a man in front of her. “I’m sorry, mister! So sorry!”

          The impact made more of the food drop out and she squatted down hurriedly, scrambling to pick up the food, blowing and dusting the dirt away from it. In her struggle, she clumsily tripped, causing her to fall to the ground and her food was now ruined. The crowd around her threw her pitiful looks as she bit on her lip, miserably collecting the dirty food and trying her utmost best to clean them.

          “Are you alright?” Someone asked and she looked up, her eyes widening in surprise when the man she bumped into offered her a kind smile, stretching his hand out to her.

          She observed his neat appearance, realising that he must be a noble and she gasped. “Oh, my lord! I’m so sorry, I apologise, I didn’t mean to bump into you!”

          The man chuckled, shaking his head. “It’s fine, more importantly, are you alright?”

          “Wh-what? Are you asking about me?” Emi asked in astonishment.

          “Yes, of course. Who else would I be speaking to?” The man said in amusement and Emi hung her head down.

          “My lord, I’m honoured that you showing concern for someone as lowly as me. I’m doing alright.”

          “Here, let me help you up.” The man said and Emi glanced up, staring at his hand that was still stretched out towards her. She directed her eyes to her dirty hand and she immediately shook her head, her hair hitting her face repeatedly.

          “Thank you, my lord, but my hands are dirty. I can help myself up.”

          The noble man sighed, snatching the sack of food out from Emi’s hands and instantly squatting down to rub his hand on the soil, extending his hand out again.

          “There, my hands are now dirty too, so let me help you up.”

          “Hey, Shadow Rogue, I’m talking to you.”

          Tears welled up in Emi’s eyes again and she started reaching her hand out, grabbing onto the hand that was waving in front of her face. The unexpected action of hers caused Kris to flinch at the small hand wrapping around his hand as he looked at Emi with a bewildered expression on his face.

          “What are you—do…ing…” Kris glared at her, preparing to pull his hand out only to trail off, his eyes widening in amazement when he saw a smile gracing upon her lips.

          “Thank you.” Emi said, looking at Kris, the kind man replacing the image of him and she imagined herself to be the young child she was again, thanking him.

          Kris was utterly speechless, his heart skipping a beat at both of her thanking him and the beautiful smile on her face.

          “Wo-woah.”

          An unconscious Emi fell into Kris’ arms, who caught her automatically, bending down a little when her whole weight collapsed onto him. The other mercenaries started to surround them, wondering what was happening and he chased them away, carrying her into his arms, bringing her into the house.

          He gazed at her with an unfathomable expression as he walked into the house, heading to the attic. The whole time, his eyes were only focused on her face, remembering the smile from time to time. Laying her down gently on the bed, Kris’ eyes lingered on her a little longer before he turned around, exiting the attic room. Unknown to him, something glinted at the right side of Emi’s hip that was sticking out of her outfit.

          The object resembled a necklace.

         

         

          ******************************************************

         

         

          Sergi gritted his teeth in frustration, banging a fist on the table, causing his men to flinch in shock. He lifted his head up, his eyes blazing with anger as he eyed all of them.

          “Incompetent fools! How hard could it be finding a group of infamous people?!” He barked at them, making them cower back in fear.

          “The-they do not personally take their requests, they have someone to collect it and deliver it to them, but we can never find that person! The moment we track him, he slips out of our sight instantly, he’s too agile!”

          “Follow the damn pigeon then! It’s how they deliver the requests!”

          “That’s impossible too, it flies out into the forest and the trees are blocking our view. The only clue we have now is that their base is somewhere in the forest.”

          Sergi growled in annoyance, kicking the table and it skidded back a little, causing the chairs to hit the floor with a loud thud.

          That big forest out in the woods?

          Impossible, it would take months or even years to finish searching the area, especially since we need to search it thoroughly.

          “Why did Winters have to associate herself with such troublesome men?” Sergi sighed, running a hand through his hair.

          “Sergi.”

          “What?” Sergi hissed out at his subordinate.

          “I know a way to help us search around the forest.”

          “Go on.”

          “I have a close friend and he’s a hunter that frequents around the same forest.”

          Sergi perked up, glancing at him and raising an eyebrow, urging him to continue talking as he straightened himself.

         

         

          ******************************************************

         

         

          Emi slowly blinked awake, looking around and she realised she was back in her attic. Her memory was fuzzy as she recalled what happened and how she ended up her, inhaling in a deep breath, she slowly pushed herself up into a sitting position.

          That was stupid of me.

          Emi let out a small sigh, running a hand through her hair as she glanced out the attic window.

          I should have learned more about the secret entrance and what was in there and what I should prepare myself for when I went in.

          She heard a creaking sound, her head immediately snapping towards the attic door that was open and a head popped out, the loud footsteps of someone climbing the ladder being heard throughout the attic. It was still night time and she knew that only a few minutes passed when she fainted. She recognized the person climbing into the attic to be the man she disliked the most.

          Kris.

          Kris finished climbing, closing the trapdoor as he noticed the woman he is starting to get curious about, sitting on the bed, staring at him with a cautious look.

          “You must be mad, Shadow Rogue.”

          Emi frowned at Kris, not understanding his words.

          “What are you talking about?”

          “You could have died inside there, if we weren’t on the way back.”

          Emi’s frown disappeared and she stared blankly at Kris, before looking away, not replying to his words.

          “You don’t care if you die, do you?”

          “Not yet.” She answered and Kris gave her a confused look.

          After I’ve completed my purpose in staying alive, I don’t care if I die.

          “What do you mean by that?”

          “It’s none of your business.”

          Kris narrowed his eyes at her words, marching towards her and she stared curiously at him, wondering why he was wasting his efforts to walk to her. He stood in front of her, folding his arms across his chest as he continued glaring at her.

          “It is my business.” Kris said to her and Emi just gave him a puzzled look.

          “What?”

          How is it his business if I care or not?

          He started to lean in, pressing both of his hands into the bed, trapping her in between his arms and Emi instinctively leaned backwards, uncomfortable at their sudden close distance.

          “Without my permission, you aren’t allowed to die.”

          Emi was baffled at his statement, letting out an incredulous scoff. “I don’t need your permission to die. Why do you even care if I die?”

          “I don’t care, Shadow Rogue. It’s my client that needs you alive, so without my permission, you aren’t allowed to die.”

          Emi clenched her fists, moving herself forward a little, her eyes lighting up in rage. “Stop calling me that. I hate that name and I don’t ever need your permission to do that, Kris.” She hissed his name venomously, glaring at Kris, staring straight into his eyes.

          Kris pulled himself back, raising an eyebrow at Emi. “Why do you hate that name?”

          It reminds me of the life I was forced to live.

          “Like I’ve said before, it’s none of your business.”

          “Fine, Shadow Rogue.”

          Emi squeezed her eyes close, frustrated at him calling the same dreaded name she hated being called us since she started living this kind of life.

          “Emi Winters. That’s my name, so stop calling me that.”

          “Alright, Winters, since Shadow Rogue is too long anyway.”

          Emi frowned at him calling her name, remembering that the only person that called her by that name was Sergi, causing her to bit on her lower lip.

          Sergi.

          He’ll be coming back for me.

          He’ll definitely find me.

          “Now, leave me alone.” She said to him and he smirked, heading for the trapdoor and opening it, climbing down the ladder. Once he was gone, she decided to change into comfortable clothes before heading to her bed, laying down on it and closing her eyes.

          Meanwhile, while climbing down the ladder, Kris recalled the hostile expression she was giving to him a few seconds ago before it was replaced by the image of her gentle smile she showed him before she fainted in his arms.

          Emi Winters.

          Suddenly, the memories about her started coming back as he remembered the horrific scars he saw on her back, along with finding her crying in her sleep and the way she acts so guarded around everyone.

          A woman with many secrets.

          He still despised her, but now, along with the despise he felt for her, there was another feeling mixed inside and he knew what it exactly was.

          He was starting to get intrigued by her.

          Kris shook his head, trying to get rid of the feeling as he headed to his bedroom.

          No, don’t let yourself get involved with her any further.

         

         

          ***********************************************

         

         

          In her sleep, the moonlight streamed into the room and an object glinted brightly on the floor, unbeknownst to Emi who was deep in her sleep.

          The object resembled a familiar necklace.

          A familiar necklace that caused the both of them to meet one another.

          The Timeless Necklace.

          

 


I'm so sorry for the late update, but here it is! I hope you liked this chapter as well ^^!