The Enigmatic M

The Timeless Necklace

        Emi blinked rapidly, her mind was still comprehending the situation she was in. She was laying on top of Kris, a tingly sensation on her lips as she remained frozen. Eventually, Kris' lips started moving, ever so gently. Emi's mind immediately registered it, shock apparent on her features as she started shoving at Kris. 

        "He-mmph, Kri--mmm."

        Whenever Emi tried to speak, her words were quickly eaten up by Kris' sensual lips. Her shoving only made him wrap his arms around her, increasing the intensity of his kiss. 

        "Sto-mmfph!"

        He continued caressed her lips passionately, pouring his emotions into it. Emi's struggles started to weaken, her body trembling at the intense kiss and her eyes fluttered close. Giving into the kiss, she melted into his arms, her lips moving against his. She could feel him, she could feel the agony, the urgency and the passion in his kiss. This sent a chill down her spine, a sigh escaping her lips and that urged Kris on more. 

        They broke apart, chests heaving up and down as they gasped for air. Gazing intently at one another, Emi was shell-shocked when  Kris beamed brightly at her; it was utterly blinding, like the scorching sun. 

        This is my first time seeing him this way. 

        His smile is...adorable. 

        Emi grunted softly, hitting Kris' body when he pulled her into his embrace once again. "You are real, you are alive." 

        Hearing these words yet again, Emi frowned. "I'm disappointed, Kris. Why would you believe the mayor's words so easily? You are always skeptical and only with evidence, you would believe it." 

        That's how you've always been. 

        "I guess...you are my weakness." Kris admitted hesitantly, seemingly resigned yet elated at the same time. 

        "I can never think logically when it comes to you." 

        Those words made Emi flush, her face gradually heating up. Her lips tingled again, her mind instantly recalling their intense kiss. Without a word, she glanced away, rubbing at her lips as she tried to hide from Kris. It was impossible to hide away though, since he was hugging her, his arms tight around her body. 

        Just that vulnerable state of hers, knowing that he was the cause, made Kris' heart palpitate with bliss. 

        "I remembered the first time we met, you look like you wanted to kill me. Why the change of heart, Kris?" Emi questioned, her voice soft yet piercing. 

        Kris made a move to stand up, and Emi assumed that she touched a sensitive topic, one that he wanted to get away from. She sighed softly to herself, disappointment welling up in her as she moved away from him. 

        Of course, he's mad at me for probing too much. 

        Emi was startled when a pair of muscular arms coiled around her waist, pulling her backward. She stumbled into a warm, hard chest, her eyes growing wide in alarm. 

        "The change of heart, huh. I didn't change, I still hate criminals with a passion. However, now I understand something, some crimes are committed out of reason or coercion, like you. Once I realised that, I guessed I changed on how I thought about you."

        Kris' words affected Emi deeply, rendering her speechless. 

        "I guess, you had to do what you needed to survive--to live. So, great job surviving on your own thus far, Emi. This time, and from now on...let us help you in that, can't you? Zak, Yun and the family, all of us, we will help you." 

        Emi blinked rapidly, her vision growing slightly blurry as she sniffed. 

        That's the first time anyone has ever said something like this, to me. 

        There's no contempt, no pity, no sympathy. It's just genuine, heartfelt words. 

        "I'm sorry for my past actions, a thief led to my family's downfall, since then, I held a grudge against criminals. This time, I will longer hold any contempt for you. This time, you no longer need to survive on your own. This time, I will be here to protect you, Emi Winters. You aren't a monster or abomination, your existence isn't a curse. You deserve to live like any other average woman, I will ensure that for you." Kris finished his words, tightening his arms around Emi, whose body was trembling. 

        The promise to no longer cry was immediately broken. Tears streamed endlessly down Emi's face as she wiped at her tears and snot, sniffling continuously.  

        "Remember something Emi, one day, you'll find someone special, someone that will protect you instead of us. Just like how I found your father."

        ...the words that I longed to hear, for so, so very long.

        The wish that I secretly kept deep inside my heart. 

        "...thank you." Emi choked out, her voice hoarse. 

        "No, thank you for being alive." Kris whispered his words out and Emi could hear him smile, her heart fluttering. Her tears flowed out profusely and she clutched onto Kris' arms, as if she was hugging him back.

        "...are you crying out of joy or sadness?" Kris asked abruptly, after the continuous sniffles and soft sobbing coming from Emi. 

        "Keep quiet, you are ruining the moment." Emi grunted out, but a tiny smile was evident on her lips.

        Silence once again filled the atmosphere, and it wasn't a stifling silence, it was serene; calm and one that warmed the heart. Kris and Emi sat there, settling comfortably in each other's arms, until Kris decided to break the silence. 

        "....alright, we should head back. I'm sure the others will be more than happy to see you again." 

        Emi chuckled in between her tears, wiping them away furiously. "...you think so? After the many times that I almost killed them?"

        For the first time in years, a laugh rippled from Kris' chest. "Definitely, even if you still can't aim properly with the bow."

        Emi blinked in surprise, it was her very first time hearing his laughter. She felt her heart melting at his carefree laughter, her smile involuntarily growing wider, just this time, Emi felt that she could be truly herself. 

        If there was an award for the world's most wonderful sound, it would be hearing him smile and laugh.


***************************************


        Bartholomew folded his arms across his chest, standing at a balcony. His gaze was fixated on the starry, night sky and he ran his fingers across the smooth concrete railing. It was designed like pillars in Greek architecture, its beige colour making the place seem more vibrant. Despite the lush, red wine carpeted floor, Bartholomew still managed to catch the sound of footsteps. His eyes glinted sharply as he spun around, seeing a silhouette of someone standing in the unlit room, the moon providing sufficient light for Bartholomew to make out the familiar silhouette. 

        The enigmatic figure lifted his hands up, applauding Bartholomew, whose stance relaxed. Mildly annoyed, Bartholomew suspired as he narrowed his eyes at the person. "What's the reason for calling me this time, Morand?" 

        "Perceptive as ever, Bart. I wonder where I would be without your skills." 

        "What do you want?" Bartholomew growled his words out, he only wanted to end this meeting and be on his way back. The news about Emi's death affected him significantly, knowing that he was a major cause of it. 

        Despite knowing that she might be alive, though it was a tiny possibility, Bartholomew found it hard to believe. He spent the hours he stayed here to contemplate on that conclusion, that she might be dead after all.

        Maybe she was really eaten by sharks, and her body was nowhere to be found. She had a wound on her leg, it was evident that blood would spill out from it while in water, and sharks would be attracted to that scent.

        Thus, Bartholomew decided to reach to the conclusion that she was dead, for now. After all, there was no definite proof that she is alive, despite the fake body that they decided to deceive him with. 

        "Why weren't they there? Both the leader of the Dragoons and your 'friend', along with that woman." 

        "That woman that you speak of, she's dead. Her body was mauled apart by sharks." 

        Bartholomew noticed the figure's posture going stiff, making him roll his eyes at him. "The woman, Emi, was important to both of them. Her death would obviously affect them." 

        The person remained silent, stepping forward into the moonlight. His calculating, grey eyes narrowed infinitesimally as his short, chocolate brown hair shined in the moonlight. Being a noble, it came along with the benefits of being blessed with a sculpted body, along with flawless skin and features due to years of extra care. It seemed as if a painting had seeped into reality. 

        "Did they find the necklace on her body, or anywhere near her corpse? Is the necklace safe?" 

        Bartholomew was suddenly overwhelmed with a feeling of rage. Morand's nonchalant attitude towards someone's death and his priority to get the necklace above everything else, enraged him. 

        "No, I'm done. Our partnership is over, I didn't sign up with you to murder, I only wanted more money. Murdering will never be in my dictionary, I'm not going to dig through someone's body or grave to find the necklace. That's bloody disrespectful!" Bartholomew hissed at the nobleman, Morand, storming off. 

        "Bart!"

        "Find the damn necklace yourself! I'm done with your sick need to fill your collection of artefacts!" Bartholomew exclaimed, letting out all of his anger on Morand. 

        For so long, so long--I've been partnered to fill this man's desperate need to fill up his entire collection!

        Steal this, steal that. I'll give you a portion of money as payment.

        "What? You want to give up stealing that? Why? You are Bartholomew! You can't be defeated, you can't back down!" 

        Shut up! I'm not your goddamn servant or puppet! 

        I'm not a damn dog that listens to every order too! I'm tired of all this, I just want to steal what I want and when I want! 

        I shouldn't have partnered with this crazy bastard in the first place!

        Slamming the large mahogany doors open, Bartholomew came face to face with dozens of guns, shoved in his face. He stilled immediately, eyeing the guns with an alarmed look before his expression twisted with anger, utterly livid. 

        I see.

        So that's why I had to wait so long, that's why he only agreed to meet so late in the day. 

        The unlit room, the carpeted floor, he planned all of this out. He knows me too well, just like I do with him. 

        "Bart, do you really think I'll just let you get away like this? Just one more addition, and we would be unbeatable!" 

        Bartholomew sighed, spinning around with an exasperated expression. "What the hell are you talking about?"

        "Yes, what I want is the necklace but that's not all. I want the Shadow Rogue too, I've seen her, she's unbelievably skilled. With her on our side, nothing can stop us, we can steal everything in this world! Can you imagine? The endless possibilities!"

        Bartholomew ground his teeth together, glaring at the insane man in front of him. His greed was the  scariest thing he has ever seen in a human. "Don't you see? Emi Winters is the Shadow Rogue! And she's dead!" 

        Surprisingly, the nobleman dared to guffaw back loudly at Bartholomew's words. This only fuelled to Bartholomew's anger further as he clenched his fists, barking his words out in a spiteful manner

        "What the hell is so funny?! I'll beat you to a bloody pulp, you insane man!"

        "Who said she was dead?" 

        Those words made Bartholomew whip his head upwards to face Morand. "...how do you know that?" 

        There is no definite proof that she's alive. 

        How can he proof it? 

        If she's really, like really alive, I...

        "Because I'm about to capture her, right now." 


*************************************************


        Kris stood protectively in front a horse, unsheathing his sword, a fierce glare on his face. Emi sat on the horse, a concerned frown on her face, her hand moving towards the dagger hidden in her boots. She was back in her usual outfit, as well as being equipped with a bow now.

        Dozens of men surrounded them, holding a different array of weapons, from guns to bows and swords. 

        "Who the hell are you people?" Kris growled lowly, clutching tightly onto his sword. 

        "Emi Winters, the Shadow Rogue, we've come to fetch you, it's an order from our lord." A man from the crowd said and Emi knew he was the leader among them. 

        "You've got the wrong person." Emi lied easily, getting down from the horse. The doctor did warn her about not doing any strenuous activities but, it looks like she can't refrain from such activities after all. 

        "Well then, we are taking you away either way."

 

 


Hellooo, I didn't update last week due to work D: I hope you guys liked this chapter as usual, I love you all and have a very nice weekend <3! Seriously though, thank you for supporting me to so far in this journey, I wouldn't have continued if it weren't for all of your encouragement. I wish I could hug each and every one of you <3<3<3