Speak Of The Devil And He Shall...

The Timeless Necklace

         Emi gazed intently into Kris’ eyes, biting harder on her lower lip and she took a step back from him. The cozy atmosphere of that the room provided, with the beautiful lighting provided from the candles that were covered by a transparent material didn’t ease the tension in the room at all.

          “I have to go.” Emi said out shakily, hastily dashing out of the room, shoving the both of them aside.

          “Winters, wait!”

          Emi slammed her room door open, taking her belongings out of the dresser and throwing her knapsack on the bed, hurriedly packing everything. The wooden floor creaked slightly under her hurried movements, the lighting showing a drop of sweat rolling down her face.

          “Winters!” Kris called out from the doorway and Emi disregarded him, still packing her belongings.

          “Hey, Winters! Listen to me.”

          “I am not staying here, Kris, no matter what.” Emi muttered out, carrying her knapsack and rushing to the door. He blocked it within moments, causing her to narrow her eyes at him.

          “Winters. Calm down and listen to me, Sergi-“

          “Move.” Emi growled out. She gritted her teeth in frustration when he insisted on remaining in her way, spinning around to land a kick on his abdomen.

          Kris dodged it, leaping backwards and Emi’s eyes glinted dangerously. “Don’t get in my way, Kris.”

          Emi marched off, only to feel something wrapping around her wrist.

          “Look, Winters, I—agh!” Kris spoke, only to yelp in pain when Emi twisted his arm, instantly letting her hand go and she glared at him.

          “I’m getting out of here, Kris and no one can stop me.”

          Kris watched her go, rubbing at his arm and the scout that came back jogged up to him, utterly bewildered. “What’s wrong with Emi?”

          “That’s what I want to know.” Kris sighed out, sprinting forward and griping tightly onto her knapsack from behind, tugging her backwards as she stumbled from the sheer force. Kris quickly tripped her over with his leg, making her lose balance but she managed to recover from it.

          “You asked for it.” Emi hissed out, turning around to swing a punch at Kris, who blocked it easily.

          “You have to-“

          Kris was interrupted by another punch, trapping both of her fists in his hands now.

          What the hell is wrong with her?

          She’s acting like the first time she arrived her, hostile and…afraid.

          …but this time, it seems worse than usual.

          “Winters.”

          “Let me go!” She cried out, desperately going in for a headbutt but Kris retreated back in time.

          “Winters, calm down.”

          “Shut up!” She snarled, stomping her foot on Kris and yet again, he avoided her attack.

          Kris felt his heart squeezing uncomfortably at her hostile attitude, which was odd to him, since he didn’t felt this way about her when she first arrived at their base. He started remembering her embarrassed and friendly manners, the thought of it making his heart ache even more.

          She looks so…distraught…

          “…Emi…” Kris whispered out, dodging another one of her assault and he could see how desperate she was, to escape from him.

          “Emi.” Kris repeated her name, stronger this time, but she didn’t seem to hear it, a berserk look in her eyes.

          “Emi!” Kris yelled out her name and she tensed up, panting heavily. She held a hesitant look in her crazed eyes, realising that it was his first time calling out to her name.

          “Wh-what did you just call me?’

          Emi’s eyes widened when Kris pulled her forward, embracing her. She froze, the hostility gradually disappearing from her face, appearing dumbfounded.

          “Kris?” Emi questioned, trying to extricate herself out of his lean, warm body that made her heart flutter slightly. In return, Kris only squeezed her even more to his body, her breath hitching at being able to feel every inch of his body and muscles.

          “Emi, listen—to me.” Kris said, his breath blowing onto her ear and she flinched, her hands itching to rub at her sensitive ear.

          “Alright…”

          Loosening his grip, he withdrew back, staring straight into her eyes. She felt troubled, trying to step away but his arms was still curled around her body.

          “Even if Rui expose your location, Sergi won’t be able to make it here in time, it’s too far away.”

          “…how would you know that, Kris?”

          “I’ve done this type of requests a few times, I have an estimation of the numbers of days we would take.”

          “I have worked with Rui before, Kris, he’s a cunning and intelligent man. I rather trust my own instincts than your words.” Emi replied honestly. Kris felt taken aback by her words but he immediately recovered from it.

          “I won’t let him take you.” Kris answered firmly, a determined look in his eyes.

          “Will you, really?” Emi asked doubtfully. Kris frowned at her words, before nodding his head at her.

          “No, no Kris, I don’t take risks.” Emi shook her head, pushing Kris’ arms away when she felt them loosening.

          “You can trust me, Emi.” Kris reassured her, an earnest look on his face. Emi squeezed her eyes close, shaking her head and trying not to be affected by the way he called her name.

          “Kris, you see, I don’t trust you, I don’t trust anyone. I can never trust anyone.” Emi said, chuckling bitterly at her last sentence as she opened her eyes and stared blankly at him.

          “So, you never trusted any one of us at any point of time.”

          “Trusts are meant to broken. I will never trust anyone, never again.” Emi spat out, her hostile attitude arising yet again.

          “What the hell did this world do to you, Emi?” Kris questioned, unsettled at her words.

          Emi let out a rancorous laugh at his question, an unfathomable look in her eyes. “Everything that no child should ever deserve.”

          Kris’ breathing hitched, appalling images flitting across his mind. He slowly clenched his fists, incensed at whatever he just imagined.

          “Is it what I think it is?” Kris asked, his voice chilling.

          Emi just smirked sardonically, raising an eyebrow at him. He clenched his fists even tighter, grinding his teeth together.

          “Just let me go, this time. In exchange, I’ll tell you everything I know about Rui.” Emi switched the topic, folding her arms across her chest.

          “Don’t change the subject.”

          “Please.” Emi implored and Kris shot his head up, gazing right into her eyes. This time, he was surprised to notice that she no longer held any hostile or mocking expression on her face, instead, she looked so…vulnerable.

          “I won’t let Sergi take me, I-I don’t want to lead that horrible life anymore, never. I want my own life to live, I want my life—my freedom, I-I…” Emi stuttered out, biting on her lower lip as she blinked rapidly, glancing away.

          I want to see my mother again.

          Seeing her in this vulnerable state made his heart twinge painfully. Kris took a hesitant step forward, distressed by her earnest begging.

          Glancing back, Emi gasped silently, staggering back and narrowing her eyes at Kris. “No, don’t you dare give me that look, stay away from me, each and everyone of you are the same, all of you-“

          Emi stopped herself, preventing herself from exposing anything else about her any further. Kris tensed up, noticing the sudden change in her and when she looked him in the eye again, her vulnerable expression was completely gone.

          “Oh thank god! I’ve finally found the both of you! Have you been alerted by the scout, he found out who—is everything alright here?” Yun hollered, jogging down the hallway. He found the both of them standing near the entrance of room, feeling an odd atmosphere around them.

          “Everything is fine.” Emi answered nonchalantly, gesturing for Yun to proceed on.

          “…alright then, so, I’m guessing the both of you know who it is? Now all we need is just to find the druglord’s base, or Rui’s base.” Yun spoke, a cheery grin on his face. Emi nodded blankly to his statement and Kris observed her intently.

          What kind of life did she lead? Didn’t she become a thief because she wanted to be one? To earn money the simplest way?

          “I know him, I can easily help you find his base.” Emi commented and Yun grinned wider, patting her on her shoulder while she forced a small smile at him.

          “Great! We shouldn’t waste any more time then, let’s gather the others to discuss our plans.”

          “On one condition.” Emi added and Yun’s grin disappeared as he raised an eyebrow.

          “You let me return to the base now, in exchange for the information to find his base.”

          “Aren’t we in this together?”

          “We are.”

          “Then why are you doing this?”

          “Rui is Sergi’s important business partner.” Kris finally joined the conversation and Yun was surprised by this revealation. Kris noticed how Emi flinched at him mentioning Sergi.

          “Well, that is a predicament.” Yun remarked, turning towards Emi with a smirk.

          “Nice bargain, Emi.”

          “What can I say, I was a thief once after all, or I should say I still am.” Emi shrugged and Kris frowned at her words as Yun gave her a puzzled look.

          That’s right, she’s a thief, a criminal, responsible for whatever happened to me in my life.

          …but she hasn’t done any harm to me ever since she entered my life, except for stealing the necklace which rightfully belonged to me.

          She’s not like the others. She's different, way different.

          “I’m sorry, Emi, but we can’t let you return to the base. In return, we’ll protect you with our life if Sergi really appears.”

          Emi snorted at his answer, realising how similar it was to Kris’ answer. “You won’t.”

          “Of course we will.”

          “Why would anyone risk their life to save an infamous thief?” Emi asked and Yun gave her a baffled look, before bursting out into a light-hearted laughter.

          “What’s so funny about what I said?” Emi frowned, stunned at how he could take a matter like this so lightly.

          “You aren’t a thief, Emi.”

          “Hu-huh?”

          “You’ve never stole anything at all, ever since the day you arrived at our place. You never stole any of our belongings, you never stole anything on missions, didn’t you notice that at all? Well, other than trying to take back the necklace.”

          “But I…” Emi retorted, trailing off when she couldn’t remember stealing anything at all in fact.

          I…didn’t steal anything?

          Not at all?

          “I…really didn’t…steal anything.” Emi muttered to herself and Yun smiled gently at her confusion.

          “You know, Emi, I wonder why you became a thief sometimes.” Yun mused out. Emi glanced at him, opening before quickly closing it, shaking her head.

          “I wonder the same too, Winters, no, Emi.” Kris added and Emi turned towards Kris, unable to form any words.

          I guess after I was forced to leave Sergi’s side, stealing never occurred in my mind, except for the necklace.

          A sense of fulfillment achievement Emi’s body once she understood that stealing wasn’t her habit. It was her way of trying to survive in this world, but it definitely wasn’t something she was addicted to.

          “So Kris, do you finally believe that she is actually not the criminal you think she is?” Yun looked towards Kris, an exasperated sigh escaping his mouth.

          “I already figured that out.” Kris responded and Yun was impressed by his words. He assumed Kris was too consumed by his hate for her, to even make an accurate judgement.

          I won’t say that it’s because of you though, Yun.

          “What? How is that even possible? Didn’t you say you hated people like her with a passion?”

          “That’s what I asked him too.” Emi rolled her eyes and Yun chuckled at her reaction.

          “Yeah, I did.”

          “Yeah, I did, that’s what he said to you, right?”  

          Both Yun and Kris said at the same time and the whole situation seemed amusing to Emi, who forgot about the entire predicament she was in. She pressed a hand to , muffling her laughter, while Yun imitated the way Kris said those words. Her shoulders shook with mirth as Kris glared at Yun, tempted to punch him in the head.

          Suddenly, a deafening crash was heard throughout the whole hallway, the three of them could clearly hear the source of the sound from behind them. They all spun around, wary of whatever just happened and they all observed the pieces of the window scattered around the floor, along with a man standing in the room. He took a step forward, the light revealing his face as he held an arrogant smirk on his face. Emi’s eyes grew big in recognition, accompanied with the other two men beside her.

          “How lucky am I today? Now…” Sergi smirked even wider, dusting his shoulders off. He reached for his side pocket, spinning the object around his hand adeptly before he pointed it directly at Emi.

          The object glinted dangerously and Emi inhaled in a deep breath. Her face expression a mixture of horror and irritation as she froze in her spot, not daring to move a single inch.

          “Where’s the Timeless Necklace? Shadow Rogue.” Sergi inquired in a sinister manner, all three of them hearing the sharp click echoing throughout the room.

 


I hope this chapter wasn't too boring and I'm really sleepy right now, hahah ;x. I hope you enjoyed it like usual :D!