Chapter 2

One night or another
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The two young men arrived in their hometown after a three-hour long trip. Kun was happy to finally get out of Winwin’s car and stretch out his legs a little when they stopped in front of his mother’s house.

“Sweetheart!” His mother got out of the house to greet them.

“Hi Mom!” He hugged her.

“Oh hello Winwin!” She waved at the other boy who was still sitting in front of his wheel.

“Hello! How are you?” The younger answered.

“Fine, thank you!” She smiled. “Don’t hesitate to come over if you have time tomorrow.”

He nodded, his lips forming a small smile.

“And thank you for driving Kun here!”

Winwin shrugged. “It’s always a pleasure.” He said while looking the older in the eye.

Kun gulped and quickly closed the car door after taking his bag.

“Well, say hello to your parents and your sister then!” He cleared his throat awkwardly.

The younger winked at him and drove off.

“So how were those past weeks?” His mother asked while leading him to the house.

“Good, I had my finals and I probably did okay.”

“Aw, you always say that and you end up doing more than okay, sweetheart.” She chuckled.

Kun sighed while closing the door behind him. A tennis match was playing on the TV.

“Hello Kun.” He heard a male voice coming from the couch.

“Hi Sam.” He said briefly while taking off his shoes.

Sam was his mother’s boyfriend. He had moved in with them a few months ago and since Kun wasn’t there that often, it felt weird to have him home.

“Sweetheart, don’t forget you’re seeing your father on Sunday.” His mother said from the kitchen.

“Hm hm…”

Kun’s parents had divorced when he was 17. It had been hard for him even if he had seen it coming. Being an only son, it was Winwin who had helped and comforted him at the time.

He sat down beside Sam who was watching the match with attention. Kun had no idea how he could find anything interesting in this. Watching tennis was so boring.

“So… Is Hui coming this weekend..?” He asked hesitantly.

“Yeah, tomorrow for lunch.”

Sam had two sons, Roi and Hui. Roi was 25 and was living in the city nearby. He already had his own life with his wife and his baby and would only come to visit.

Hui was almost 21 and only six months older than Kun but was living with his mother, so that Kun would only see him on the few weekends he was coming or during the holidays.

“Okay.”

He didn’t have anything against Sam but he just felt like they were strangers to each other, which they were. So he didn’t really know what to say to him. Even if it was less awkward than when he had first moved in.

“Roi is coming too.” Sam added.

“Yes.” His mother went on. “He said he didn’t want to impose but I insisted for him to come with his family.”

Kun turned to give his mother a panicked look. “Hm… Mom?”

“Yes?”

He stood up and joined her in the kitchen.

“Do I have to be there?” He asked in a low voice.

“Of course, sweetheart.” She smiled.

“I’ve already met Roi…”

“Yes, it was months ago so I don’t think it’ll hurt to meet him once more.” She said softly. “Please, do this for Mommy.”

Kun sighed but nodded slowly.

“Are you sleeping at your father’s?” She asked while cooking.

“I don’t think so… I’ll just go on Sunday morning.”

“Well, you’re sharing your room with Hui tomorrow night then.”

“Yeah okay.”

She caressed his hair gently.

“Thanks for being so understanding, sweetheart.”

 

 

Winwin – 10:35 PM:

So how is it at your mother’s?

 

Kun was lying in bed when his phone had buzzed.

 

Kun – 10:36 PM:

Fine. Sam’s sons are coming tomorrow. Yay.

 

Winwin – 10:36 PM:

Both ?

 

Kun – 10:37 PM:

Yeah… Roi is coming with his wife and his baby too.

 

Winwin – 10:37 PM:

Woah ! The whole family ?

 

Kun – 10:37 PM:

Yeah…

So how did your parents react when they saw your limp ?

 

Winwin – 10:38 PM:

I’ll tell you everything tomorrow, but not that well.

 

Kun scoffed.

 

Kun – 10:38 PM:

OH! How surprising, so unexpected !

 

His phone buzzed. Winwin had sent a pic of him pouting with the captions “Hilarious”. He let out a laugh he quickly tried to muffle with his hand not to disturb the silence of the house.

Another buzz.

 

Winwin – 10:40 PM:

Anyway… I’ll come tomorrow around 3:30 PM because I have a medical appointment before…

 

Kun cocked his eyebrow.

 

Kun – 10:40 PM:

Really?

 

He waited for the answer while his eyelids started feeling heavy.

 

Winwin – 10:42 PM:

My father made a call so I’m seeing a specialist for my knee. #DadsRelevancy

 

Kun chuckled.

 

Kun – 10:42 PM:

You’re so dumb Winwin !

 

 

-

 

 

“Hi.” Kun gave a small wave when Sam’s family arrived.

“Aw, what a cute baby~” His mother whispered as she saw Roi and his wife, their daughter in a stroller.

“Thank you !” His wife, Cara, answered happily.

“Hello Hui, how was your week ?” Kun’s mother asked the other boy.

“Fine.” He shrugged slightly.

Awkward atmosphere… as usual. Not really tense, just awkward.

“Okay, let’s have lunch everyone.” His mother said while closing the front door.

 

 

The bell rang. Kun couldn’t be happier, knowing it was probably Winwin. The lunch with Sam’s sons had been deliciously awkward. Just how Kun liked them…

“Hello !” The younger said as Kun opened the door for him.

“Winwin, hello! Come over here, you want some cake ?” His mother said happily.

It was past 3 PM and Roi and his wife had already left with their daughter. There was only Hui left.

“Ah no thanks, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter