Chapter 10

One night or another
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kun opened his eyes slowly. The daylight slipping through the shutters blinded him a little.

He rubbed his eyes and looked beside him: Winwin was still sleeping. He looked so peaceful with his bangs falling in his eyes.

Kun felt relieved seeing him like this after the past night: the two of them had talked for almost two hours on the floor of the bathroom before collapsing into bed, both exhausted.

Winwin’s father unknowingly put a lot of pressure on him. He wanted him to join a professional club next year at only 19, when he had just started college. He wanted his son to be like him, he wanted it so much. And it wasn’t like Winwin couldn’t play either.

Kun had noticed something was off but had not realized it was to the point where Winwin was thinking of quitting altogether.

 

“I don’t hate it but I don’t know if I still want to do it. I can’t take this anymore.”

                                                                                             

That were Winwin’s words.

 

“Winwin… You know I’ll support you whatever you choose. But this is a decision you should really weigh because I don’t want you to have regrets…”

 

He gently the younger’s hair. He noticed a reddish scratch on his forehead. Probably a rest of the fight.

Kun didn’t know what the other would decide but what worried him the most were the sanctions and other problems to come.

Winwin would surely be suspended next match.

Kyle would certainly try to get some sort of revenge.

He stared at the scratch, trailing his finger on it delicately. Winwin stirred and suddenly put his arms around him, his eyes still closed.

“Winwin ?” He whispered. “It’s almost 11 AM.”

“Sh…” The other snuggled up against him. “Let’s just stay here some more.”

Kun chuckled lightly but didn’t object, his boyfriend’s body giving him warmth.

Winwin heaved a sigh, eyelids shut.

“Let’s just lie down and forget about everything.”

 

 

-

 

 

“Just three weeks before the championship, Sicheng !” The coach shouted at him the Monday following the incident, after the end of the training.

Winwin kept quiet.

Kun was waiting for him on the bleachers a few meters away. But he could still hear the yells of anger.

“Kyle has a dislocated shoulder and the fight has already been reported. You’re suspended next match.”

The coach looked angry, but mostly disappointed.

”You two won’t get away with it. They will take more sanctions, Sicheng !” He went on. “How do you think your father will react now that he knows about it ?!”

Winwin didn’t answer anything.

 

As the two of them left the campus, they noticed a car parked in front of the entrance. Kun gulped: it was Winwin’s father’s car.

“Dad, what are you doing here..?” Winwin stuttered, dumbfounded.

“Get in the car.” He looked furious.

Winwin gave Kun a hesitant look but eventually hopped in.

“Hello Kun.” His father gave him a small smile. “Do you need a ride home ?”

“Ah, no thanks…” He shook his head. “I have my car over there.”

Mr. Dong nodded and waited for Winwin to close the door before driving off.

Leaving Kun there, completely astonished.

 

 

Kun was on his couch at home, trying to concentrate on studying. But he couldn’t think about anything else than Winwin being with his father. His father who was in their college city and who knew that his son had got into a fight.

He started imagining all the worst scenarios.

“That’s enough Kun, stay focused.” He whined.

The TV was on as background noise and music was playing on his laptop. He arranged his blanket and checked his phone anxiously.

10 PM, still no sign of his boyfriend.

He rubbed his cheeks in frustration and looked back at his notes. He really needed to focus if he wanted to remember something. Finals were in late May, just around the corner.

Just before the start of the soccer season.

Which Winwin might not participate in if he got suspended longer than one match.

“Kun, focus !” He cried out.

He changed the song playing and got back to his notes for the nth time. After each sentence that he read, he glanced at his phone a little hopeful.

But still nothing.

All he wanted was to know the other was fine. Was it too much to ask for ?!

He sighed loudly and stood up to get something to eat. As he was looking through his fridge, he heard his ringtone.

He forgot everything he was doing and ran back to his couch.

WHERE was his phone ?!

He shook the blanket and turned it upside down while groaning until he finally found it.

‘Incoming call: Winwin.’

He quickly grabbed it and his fingers somehow got mixed up as he tried to slide his lockscreen to pick the call. His phone had to lag at this very moment of course.

“Ugh, just obey !” He yelled while trying to unlock it, the device vibrating and ringing in his hands.

He finally managed to pick up and almost shouted a panicked “Hello Winwin ?!”.

“Hey babe.”

He sounded normal. Kun let out a relieved sigh.

“Love, is everything okay ?”

“Have you eaten already ?”

“Of course not !” Kun gasped. “I was too nervous and worried about you to eat anything…”

Winwin sighed. “This is really bad, Kun. You shouldn’t skip meals.”

“You know I don’t usually do that.”

“It’s past 10:30 PM babe, and I know you don’t have anything in your fridge.” The younger chuckled on the other side of the line.

“Hey ! What makes you think that ?!” Kun exclaimed, a little offended. “You know I can take care of myself anyway.”

The doorbell rang.

“Wait a minute, someone’s at the door.” Kun raised his eyebrows. “Must be my neighbor.”

He opened. His jaw and his phone almost dropped to the floor.

Winwin was by his door.

With takeout noodles.

“I never said you couldn’t.” The younger smiled at him. “But let me take care of you tonight.”

Kun gasped in surprise and threw his arms around Winwin’s neck, kissing him deeply. Winwin kissed back although the food prevented him from moving much.

The older hugged him and paused for a few seconds before speaking up.

“Why are you being like this when you’re the one who needs to be taken care of tonight.”

“So…” The other muttered. “Noodles maybe ?”

Kun chuckled.

 

 

“So how did it go with your father ?” Kun asked while eating his noodles.

The two of them were sitting on his couch with their food, the blanket covering their legs.

Winwin shrugged. “I don’t know, he told me off and was super angry of course.”

Kun nodded.

“It’s understandable, I know I messed up. So I apologized… But…” He let his voice linger.

“But…?” The older cocked his eyebrow.

“I tried to talk about my course and career choice but he kinda avoided it. Well not really, but he said that what was more important right

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter