Chapter 8

One night or another
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Winwin, it’s good to see you walking just fine !” Kun’s mother exclaimed.

“Thank you.” Winwin smiled happily. “I’m glad too.”

Kun was just staring at him. On this Saturday of mid-April, Sam and Hui were at Roi’s house, leaving the three of them alone for lunch. Two weeks had passed and they were already back in town to see Winwin’s specialist.

He couldn’t believe it had already been two months together. And it was only now he could have some time alone with his mother to introduce Winwin properly.

Which was stupid because she already knew him. How could she not.

“So how is it now, should I call you son-in-law ?” She had a mischievous smile on her face while saying these words.

“Mom !” Kun whined. “This is so…”

“Don’t call your mother ‘embarrassing’, sweetheart !” She cried out. “I gave you birth !”

He hid his face in his hands. Winwin laughed lightly.

“How to disappear ?”

“Stop being that dramatic. And you two hurry up, you have a medical appointment.” She said with a warm smile. “We don’t want you to be late, do we ?”

 

 

“The knee is healing properly.” The doctor commented while examining Winwin. “You can go back to a normal training, just be careful at first, don’t push yourself too much.”

Winwin nodded. Kun noticed his lips were pursed.

Two weeks had passed, two weeks where the younger had done all the rehabilitation exercises the specialist had given him for his knee. Two weeks where his father had called every couple of days to check on him. Two weeks where Kun had showed his support as much as he could but had felt like it wasn’t enough.

As they left the office, Winwin kept quiet. Too quiet.

 

 

-

 

 

“You don’t need to come with me to training, I’ll be fine.” Winwin sighed as they were walking to the game field.

Classes had just finished and the days were getting longer and warmer in that Monday of spring.

“I wanna watch you play for a bit, since you’re finally back.” The older shrugged. “And should I remind you we came with your car today ?”

“Then just take my car and I’ll go home by bus.”

“Don’t even try to make me leave, love.” He scoffed. “I’m not going anywhere.”

Winwin rolled his eyes. But that small smile only Kun could get from him was there.

They walked hand in hand to the college stadium and Kun sat on the bleachers while the younger was getting changed.

“Hey Kun ! You’re here again ?” The coach greeted him.

“Ah yes.” He smiled.

“It’s good Sicheng is finally back, he needs to get back into shape.”

Kun nodded without commenting.

“But I’m not worried, he’ll be fine.”

 

 

Kun was checking his messages when Winwin joined him at the end of his training.

“Babe, let’s go. It’s late already.”

The older looked at the time on his lockscreen and stood up.

“You did well today.” He smiled.

“Meh…” The other shrugged. “I’m not too sure about that.”

“Sicheng !” The coach called him as they got down the bleachers.

“Yes, coach ?”

“For our next match, you’ll have to do well.”

His coach patted his shoulder and Winwin nodded understandingly.

“Good evening, coach.”

He then grabbed Kun’s hand and left.

“You have a match already ?”

“In two weeks…”

“I thought the season started in June ..?” Kun furrowed his eyebrows.

“Well yeah but we have friendly matches between the three highest ranked teams from last season, to warm up for the championship.” Winwin explained. “I’ll only have two matches before the actual season starts.”

“Oh… Against who ?”

“East VI, then EAST V.”

“Wow, our rival university first.” Kun sighed. “What a great start…”

“But don’t worry about it too much, I’ll be fine.” Winwin smiled at him.

It felt fake. Kun didn’t like it.

 

 

-

 

 

“I know…”

Everything was dark.

“Dad, please… I didn’t mean it like that.”

Kun was probably still half asleep because he couldn’t figure out if the voice was in his head or not.

“I know it’s for my career, it was just a question.”

Kun rubbed his eyes. Seemed like Winwin was on the phone. It was still early but none of them had classes in the morning that day.

“Yes I know that’s what we’ve worked hard for these past years.”

Kun arranged his pillow and closed his eyes again.

“Yes, I understand… No, I won’t disappoint you…”

Winwin had probably hung up because Kun heard the phone hitting the ground loudly before the younger let out a huff. He then got up from the bed and left the room.

Kun was still sleepy and so out of it, the blanket over his head and his face pressed in the pillow. He heard the water flowing in the bathtub, then nothing.

He sat up and rubbed his eyes. He stretched out s a bit to wake himself up then got up. There was no more noise coming from the bathroom.

“Love ? Are you done showering ?”

No answer. Kun frowned.

“Winwin ?”

Nothing. Now he was getting worried.

“Love, I’m coming in.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter