Chapter Eleven

Hide and Seek 숨바꼭질

Things Couldn't Got Any Worse

 

The knock came quietly but it did disturb Eun Ji from her nap.

 

Her eyes were heavy and sore, but she tried to keep herself awake, causing her to have a blurry vision. was dry, at least she sounded dry, “Where am I?” Her hand wiped the wet saliva that almost made a trail on her face.

 

The knock became louder and faster each time.

 

It must be Yong Hwa. Only Yong Hwa had that kind of knock to wake her up, even her mom didn't dare to knock that hard to wake her. Annoyed by it, she screamed, “I'm up! Stop knocking, Yong Hwa!”

 

When she lay on her back, simply taking a rest on her heavy eyelids before she went to open the door, but during the meantime, she realized her hands were stuck on something as if it was tied. Handcuffs. As her eyes were wide open, she was startled to see a strange yet familiar shadow appeared on the room.

 

“Have you had enough sleep?” asked Won Geun. His eyes glittered mischievously, “I vaguely recall that I have blood relation with you.”

 

“How dare you brag into a girl's room without permission?”  She hollered out, covering herself in the blanket as her protection.

 

She could sense that there passed a glimpse of smile across that frosty face. “I'm afraid, you had it all wrong. This house is mine, including all the rooms, they are all mine. So, based on what law that says I can't get into my room as much as I want?”

 

Eun Ji winced, she started shuttering, “I... I mean, yes... Yes, this is your house, your room and I am nothing but just a bum that stuck in your cell, but now I am in the room and I am sleeping, can you at least show some respect?”

 

She definitely heard him snorted. “I did make an attempt to be polite for the last few minutes and you seemed to ignore my calls for dinner.”

 

Hearing only the word dinner had made her stomach grumbled. It groaned so loud that she could feel heat was all over her face. She remembered, she hadn't had anything since she went out from the hospital—the last time she ate was when she went to the reunion. Speaking to reunion took her back to the situation that gave her the identity as a suspect and encountered the snide man that was in front of her. She should have just smacked him back then.

 

“So, are you coming or not?” He asked as he leaned against the wall, crossing his hands, waiting for Eun Ji to answer his question.

 

She couldn't say no to food to the fact that she was hungry. “Coming.”

 

Eun Ji was in gape, astonished. She was hoping the food would be rather decent but eventually was a huge difference in the food serving. Two plates were served on the table. On the right side, it was juicy probably medium rare steak, beef perhaps, with mashed potatoes and lettuces as its plate decor, the smell and the look had made her almost drop her saliva out. Meanwhile on the opposite, served on a silver tray, Eun Ji had a food fiasco and nausea at the same time. First it was a dried shrimp, a small bowl of pickles and a glutinous sticky kongbap (a Korean prison's food consisting white and brown rice mixed together with beans, generally looked soaked).

 

“What on earth is this?” Eun Ji frowned.

 

“Dinner.”

 

Dinner? Please, something like it wouldn't even have the qualification to be called as food. At least the differences were obvious. Won Geun sat down, had his knife and fork on his possession before started slicing the meat and drowned into the sly mouth. Chewing his meal, he gave Eun Ji a strange look. “Having trouble on pulling your chair?”

 

“No.”

 

“Then, sit.” Eun Ji did as she asked. He was such a demanding person—she had never met someone as cocky as he was. Gosh, the smell was already stinking up her nose. Nope, this was not a food. She couldn’t resist the stomach needs. Her stomach had started a rebellion that food must be provided immediately. This was torture! This was worse than going to jail itself!

 

Okay, food wasn't the matter. Facilities were not even a problem either. It was the Mount Everest man!

 

“Lee Won Geun...” She tried to pull a face despite of the annoyance that had ruled over her facial postures, and she kept the edge from her voice, “I mean, Professor Lee, how am I supposed to ear this when my hands are cuffed?”

 

“I can eat in your situation, so why can't you?” He gracefully cut his steak. Ignoring her glare.

 

She was pissed off. Operation NICE was definitely over. “GET THESE OFF ME!” She said to him, fighting over restraints.

 

His head moved slowly and his eyes were on her. Finally, they could have a REAL conversation. “Suit yourself.” He wiped his mouth with the red napkin and took out a key from his pocket, moved closer to her. Again that distance. That gaze. A wave of heat burned in her core as she thought about the deja vu act from before.

 

Click. This time he was not playing with her, he did release her. As he pulled back to his seat, he asked, “Now can I have my dinner?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Irritating Mount Everest! I am only lowering my defense because of my stomach needs, we are still enemies! She angrily scooped a big spoonful of kongbap. Then suddenly the closed kitchen's door creaked open. She was distracted from her dinner—her spoon fell from her touch. A frustrated sigh was tore from her lips. Could she at least feed her hungry growling stomach?

 

She was annoyed at first. But she stopped breathing when heavy footsteps entered. The modest part of her cringed inside. The same fear from that night yanked from her thoughts.

 

“We have company.” Won Geun said in a hushed voice and it was obviously referring to the coming visitor from behind the door.

 

Neither of them moved or continued to devour dinner. Eun Ji eyes grew wider as his words lingered in her head.