Chapter Eight

Hide and Seek 숨바꼭질

The Interrogation

 

Back to the present day

 

“How many times do I have to tell you that I am innocent?”

 

Despite the intimidating atmosphere suppressed Eun Ji in the interrogation room, she could still hear mild muffled sounds of people talking outside the room and the machine sound from the air conditioner. She had been left alone for thirty minutes, she guessed they expected her to repent of her wrongdoings but she was innocent. Until a while ago, Detective Seo, the guy from earlier—the flashy medium blue suit still adorned his muscular body—and another guy, probably a detective, too, entered the room together.

 

She had just left the hospital with gauze wrapping around her head, the police intercepted her on her way back home, bringing her to the police station instead. Those men indeed weren’t lying after all. That was how she ended up sitting in the room painted with greenly pathetic color.

 

Green. She hated the color. She didn’t hate all types of green colors but for the greenly pathetic color that painted on those walls, she hated them. That window. Those people probably looking at her from the window, giving her those dagger stares, which luckily she didn’t have to see them or else she would have thrown her fists on them.

 

“Jung Eun Ji-ssi, it is better for you to admit your guilt now, if you do so, you’ll be sentenced a lighter punishment.” Detective Seo said unequivocally.

 

It’s choky, irritating! Eun Ji blew her fringe. “What punishment? I did nothing wrong and these!” she showed her handcuffs to them, and then slammed it harshly on the table, “Put these off me, it’s irritating!”

 

“To avoid uncertain things to happen, we must maintain those hands in secure way.”

 

Secure? Sprouting dog truds, aren't you?

 

She remained silent.

 

“Jung Eun Ji-ssi!” His voice sounded stern this time. At the hospital he sounded more playful, she didn’t imagine that such a person would work as a detective, but seeing his ingenuity in changing expressions and tones on speaking—they were totally two different people—she knew that the job was meant for him. “Let me ask you once again, why are you there?”

 

“I have told you thousand times already, I was there because of school reunion.”

 

The other man murmured, “I guess sympathetic method didn’t work on you, did it?” then a hand slammed the table, jerked Eun Ji’s upright and panicked. “TELL ME!”

 

“I DON’T KNOW, KAY?” Eun Ji yelled back at him, it was her style, besides she didn’t do anything wrong, so why would she be afraid of these bunches rats who felt justice should be enforced. She sensed that they were startled to her reaction. It wasn’t typical, she supposed—her reaction.

 

Detective Seo got a move and the man’s back. “Calm down, senior Kim, calm down.” He helped the man—Detective Kim leaned back to his chair, and turned back to Eun Ji, he cleared his throat before he continued, “We have evidence that will prove that you are either a murder or an accomplice, therefore we needed your confession.”

 

Evidence? Eun Ji furrowed her brows. “What evidence?”

 

He sighed. “We found these in your bag,” he took out bags of plastics from underneath the table—a knife, a novel book, and a purplish pocket camera, “I think these are more than enough to give us your confession to your own guilt.”

 

How could there be a knife? She didn’t remember put anything such as knife to her bag, going to a school reunion, did it need a knife? Would go off scaring her old schoolmates with it? She should have been categorized as a psycho if she had done so. She looked down and saw the handcuffs that surrounding her wrist on the table. 

 

“You want to hear me confess, then here is my confess—the novel is indeed mine, but the knife and the camera aren’t mine, I don’t know how they ended up in my bag, as far as I know, I was bringing the book, my cellphone and my wallet …I did bring my camera…” she stopped for a while, rethought what she had brought, the camera! Her eyes ran to the pocket camera wrapped in the plastic bag, suddenly dried out, her voice sounded weak but she came with an outright attitude, “I have captured the murder with my camera but… this pocket camera isn’t mine.”

 

“You snap a shot of him?” He sneered, he then cleared his throat, “How could you be so sure that this isn’t your camera?”

 

“Mine is manila-colored, instead the one that you have is purplish.”

 

Detective Seo smiled lopsidedly. “Have a good look, it’s manila-colored.”

 

She blinked her eyes, closed them and blinked her eyes again. “It’s purple.”

 

“I can now assume that you are a color-blind murder, Jung Eun Ji-ssi,” he turned to the man beside him, “Senior Kim, can you tell her, what color is this?”

 

“It’s manila.”

 

“You see?” His smile was full of victory. “To your concern, this camera capture you as the murderer, you can see for yourself if you don't mind.”

 

She immediately snatched the camera from his possesion.

 

After seeing the pictures, Eun Ji hands suddenly was weak then she threw her head backwards. She felt that she could almost cry. A while ago, she believed that she was innocent and she did nothing wrong, but then a glitch in her head showed that the pocket camera was purple, meanwhile the detectives were saying it’s manila and it was hers and then she was suddenly was proven as a murderer. She felt the coldness enveloped her, darkness will soon about to approach her. Eomma, save your daughter!

 

Then a door was bang opened. 

 

Eun Ji saw a dazzling bright was piercing her eyes, which almost blinded her. She ce again to have a better look. That height, that black suit… It's him!

 

“I have the permission to release her.”