Chapter Fourteen

Hide and Seek 숨바꼭질

The Denial

 

One thing for sure: vinyl was in to her nose. Eun Ji didn't like the smell but it wasn't something that she could avoid easily. Antiseptics. She knew she was in hospital but on the other side, she wasn't sure of it.

 

There were dim voices that flowing around her ears. She couldn't decide whether it was a dream or reality. She was confused.

 

"Her situation is extremely critical."

 

"Then is she?"

 

"No. Her subconscious mind is blocking the evidence."

 

Eun Ji had figured that those people were referring to her. She apprehensively fought with her inner-self. Asking herself to get up. But she couldn't. Somehow there was something that suppressing her. A kind of force.

 

Then one voice was ultimately clear. "On the count of three, you'll be awake. One... Two... Three..."

 

As what the voice had commanded, her visions were finally clear, colors had enlightened her misty mind, finally she regained her sight back. Voices were coming to her—familiar faces appeared in front of her. The doctor and the criminal psychologist.

 

Her head was a bit dizzy. She shook her head—at least it did feel a lot comfortable. She then slowly blinked her eyes as she asked, "What happened?"

 

"The hypnosis was not going so well," Ji Soo said, "it appeared that you are traumatized of the incident, your subconscious mind is blocking it."

 

What she had heard from before wasn't a dream after all. "Subconscious mind? Blocking what?"

 

"The murderer's face," Won Geun interrupted, he took a few steps closer to them from where he was lying on his back, "the very important piece of the puzzle."

 

"Well," Ji Soo cleared his throat feebly, "at least we know that you are not an accomplice of the murderer. But I am asking you not to leak your own innocent."

 

"What?" A spark of anger ignited a fire deep inside her. She was finally getting her freedom, she was having her identity back--her life back. But what he said just now, that she had to keep her innocent as a secret and why would she do so?

 

"I know, it's complicated. But it is for your own safety."

 

Safety? What a piece of crap!

 

"Look here, Ji Soo-ssi, I don't know what you are planning with him but those misjudges must be cleared from me. I have to get my life back. I don't want to stick onto my whole life as an accomplice or a murderer. I am, too, a victim and a witness. Suppose that regaining my innocence is your job to prove it and the evidence will eventually lured out. Isn't that the logical thinking that goes for you, Professor Lee?"

 

Eun Ji said nothing wrong. She could tell from looking at Won Geun's frowned eyebrows. But then she panicked for a moment, didn't know what to do, as she realized that he was, too, staring at her. She looked away, her heart was pounding fast that she couldn't feel her hands sweating.

 

"I'm going out for some air."

 

"Sure, go ahead."

 

Heavy footsteps were slowing a rhythm away, the door swung abruptly and she knew that he was no longer in the room. The room was lapsed into silence. But that was before an exhale from her was heard.

 

Ji Soo chuckled. Eun Ji gazed at him--what so funny that he would laugh at such situation?

 

"Won Geun has always have that eerie feeling surrounding him, so take easy on him, he might look cold on the outside but he's really nice if you have known him well."

 

Like she wanted to know him. Without noticing, Eun Ji gave a wicked smile on her face, "Really? I bet his a real ."

 

Woah.. Did she just curse? That was a terrible mistake. This dumb Jung Eun Ji. Her lips quivered. No. Her whole body quivered. "I... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

 

Again he chuckled. "Up until now, you are the first to say him like that--well, I don't deny that he behaves that way to everyone he know, but trust me, he's actually a nice person."

 

Eun Ji searched his face. She remembered what he resembled to her memories. The warm feeling from that day again covered her. She gave it a shot to her own curiosity. "Ji Soo-ssi, can I ask you something?"

 

"Sure."

 

"Did you go to GoNam High School?"

 

His facial expression's changed, which was only increased her curiosity. "Ms. Jung." His voice was grave, "why would you say so?"

 

He walked over to his desk. Seeing him taking up his mug, scrutinizing his serious gaze to it, destroyed the shred of curiosity that she had been clinging on to and replaced it with paralyzed dread. She might had just met him, but she knew that it was a look of desperation. Somehow it made her ached for him.

 

Could she have ask the wrong question to him? 'Blunt talking and straight shooting' was always the best way to describe her. She must had said something wrong. "Umm... I thought I have ever seen you somewhere, you look alike with someone I know in the past."

 

He froze. "Someone you know?"

 

Eun Ju swallowed hard and she stood up. If she was the one who started, then she must went with it, "Actually, I met this guy at a bus stop and he gave me a novel..." she continued with honesty on her words, he's an psychiatrist after all, "Well, it might sounds creepy but I had a crush of him ever since, so I was wondering if... you are him?"

 

He tore his gaze from hers, hiding something. Eun Ji knew it. "Ms. Jung, I supposed this conversation ends here."

 

Why stop here? Second thoughts approached her, he could be the guy and why would he hide the simple fact about it. Even if he wasn't the guy, she wouldn't blame him but infact he took this childish act on her, which means that it did have a relation with that guy from ten years ago. Eun Ji stared at him expectantly. "You haven't answered me."

 

"Sometimes, you'd better off with the memories you believe in. The truth might hurt you instead. Therefore, this conversation ends here." Ji Soo took a sip from the mug.

 

Eun Ji thought for a moment, and then shrugged. None of what he had said made sense. "What truth? You know something, don't you? Is this somehow related to..."

 

"Hey, prisoner. That's enough." Won Geun came up behind her, his hand grasped her right arm hard.

 

She didn't know how he barged into the room, in such a coincidence and she didn't even care a thing about that. "What you think you are doing?" She hissed. Her eyes narrowed, "Don't tell me you are also a part in it too?"

 

"Jung Eun Ji-ssi, I must say you have a very imaginative imagination."

 

"Shut up! Stop all the rubbish that you've been sprouting! I've been taking it all in, but not to this," Eun Ji burst out, "not to the guy that had accused me as a murderer! All because of that damn novel he gave me!"

 

"Follow me," he whispered.

 

Eun Ji swallowed hard. It freaked her outhis soft voice sounded tempting but on the same time it had a vicious punch to her heart. His eyes were filled with rage. His grasp was still around her. What is he actually?