To Protect Him

A Simple Love

Changmin and Yunho were sitting in the kitchen of their old, used dorm that they once lived in with Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Junsu, eating, when they got a call from an unknown number. The ring was unanimous in some sort of comfortable way. It resounded throughout the dorm, and the two members each jumped when the sudden noise scared them. They weren't expecting any calls, and none of them really wanted any. So who could be calling at such a time?

Yunho, still the leader of what was left of TVXQ, picked up on the third ring. "Hello?" he said.

The other line was silent. Yunho waited to hear some form of living, breathing life form, but there was no sound. Then something close to a strangled sigh was let out of the mouth of the person on the other end. Then, a voice Yunho hadn't heard in such a long time reached him through the electronical connection: "Yunho hyung?"

Yunho's heart softened. Even though he was angry at the three for leaving TVXQ after all that the five of them went through, JYJ, and especially Yoochun, still held a dear and close place in his warm heart. "Yoochun-ah."

Yunho could hear the smile in Yoochun's voice. "It's nice to talk to you again, Yunho hyung. It's been so long."

"Three weeks could've been three months, but yes, it has been a while. How did you get the dorm's number?"

Yoochun chuckled. The warmth in it assured Yunho that this call wasn't a prank. "Have you forgotten that I lived there for five years?"

Yunho unconsciously frowned. "I guess that's what makes me sad..."

Yoochun could hear the genuine sorrow in his former leader's deep bass voice. "I'm sorry, Hyung. I didn't want to, it's just--"

"Wait, you didn't want to? But I thought the three of you all decided on leaving because of Soo Man."

Yoochun cleared his throat. He meant to ignore Yunho's question. "The reason for my calling is of importance to all four of us--Changmin, Junsu, you, and I. It concerns Jaejoong hyung."

As if on reflex, Yunho's heart clenched. Something could have happened to him because Yunho wasn't there to protect him. He promised Jaejoong that he would always protect him, when they were younger, no matter what happened or where they were. Now that they were in different companies, it was kind of hard for Yunho to protect his favorite member and best friend. "What happened to him?" His voice had turned high, so he cleared his throat with a cough and asked once more.

"He's not himself anymore. He just sits around and stares at the wall or the television. Whenever asked a question, he either shrugs, nods, or shakes his head. He doesn't move, and I don't even think he sleeps. His condition is worsening by the day, Hyung. Depression is taking him over. Junsu and I are worried, and we don't like the way Jaejoong hyung is acting nowadays, nor do we know what to do what to help. So Junsu and I decided to call you. You're our only option to get Jae hyung better. Even if you don't want to, you need to come over here, Hyung. If not, I don't know if Jaejoong hyung is going to get better. His condition may do some permanent things to him."

Yunho could hardly breathe. Just imagining Jaejoong in such a state sent shivers up Yunho's spine, and his stomach churned. Jaejoong had always been a happy man, and that was especially around Yunho. He always had a smile on his face, warm eyes, and gentle gestures. Sometimes the way Jaejoong acted towards Yunho got him excited and he thought Jaejoong would actually want to date. But Jaejoong was in no way gay. He had assured Yunho plenty of times that he liked girls. But the way Jaejoong gazed at Yunho, held his hand, hugged him: they didn't exactly send the signal "I'm straight as a stick" to Yunho. Same went for the other members. They could see what Jaejoong felt for Yunho, and the feelings were mutual.

"So what do you say, Hyung?" Yoochun asked.

Yunho wanted to scream and shout yes, he would be there for Jaejoong no matter what was going on and what he would say to Yunho, but he couldn't because of the social media. They would be all over Lee Soo Man's tail if they found out Yunho was visiting JYJ's hotel all by himself on the weekend. And what would worsen it is, if they planned on leaving once Yunho got there, seeing both Junsu and Yoochun leave the "safe place" they were staying at momentarily. So Yoochun and Yunho had to devise a plan good enough to distract the media crews while also slipping past them in any way possible.

Yunho sighed. "If I say yes, how are we going to do it?"

Yoochun must've already figured it out because his response was immediate, without any sense or feeling of hesitation. "Junsu and I will go out without any disguises, gather fans in one place, and once the media crews catch news of the two of us enjoying life as ourselves, they'll want the deep dish and come after us. By then we'll have gotten some where far away from the hotel. You'll come the other way, and you'll get into the hotel without a problem. Sound good?"

Yes, it did. Maybe a little too good. "What am I getting out of this?" a suspicious Yunho asked.

Yunho could almost feel the shrug through the phone. "No money, but you'll definitely get Jaejoong hyung to smile at you again. I hope that's enough because I don't think you're going to get anything else out of this. Is that okay with you, Hyung?"

As long as Jaejoong's smile would be shown to the world once more... "I'm in," Yunho said. "Do you want to do this tomorrow afternoon?"

"Perfect. See you then, Hyung... It was nice talking to you again." The reciever clicked. Yoochun had hung up.

Yunho turned around, getting giddy. He was going to see Jaejoong again. It had already been three weeks, and he was already Jaejoong-deprived. He needed to see his best friend and resolve things with him as best as he could. Otherwise, he wasn't sure what would happen--to either of them.

"Who was that, Hyung?" Changmin asked, curiosity in his voice.

"Yoochun-ah."

Changmin's face turned white. "Really?" he squeaked. He was dying to speak to his former best friends and dependable hyungs. He didn't care if he wasn't allowed to; they were his best friends. He would break the rules for every one.

"Yes. I'm going to cheer up Jaejoong tomorrow. He's depressed at the moment. I think Yoochun and Junsu are going to come over here after escaping the press, but I'm not sure... I'm going to bed now." Yunho disappeared up the stairs and to his room. He had to rest for a while. Everything had happened so quickly, his energy--even though he was only talking on the phone--was completely drained. He needed every last ounce of it for Jaejoong tomorrow. He was going to do whatever it took to protect him from the fatal depression enveloping him in its unescapable grip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: And chapter 2! I'm lucky to have even gotten on here! (Mom's sleeping, and I'm jumping any time she coughs .___.) So I should get going now. Enjoy the chapter? Let me know down in that little thing called the comment box below :3