Chapter 1

Trash

 

                 “Riku..?” Sora muttered as he dropped his brother’s wrist. Vanitas recognized the name, and began racking his brain, trying to figure out where e knew it from. Oh right. Sora made a friend named Riku back on fourth grade. They were friends until seventh grade, when our foster ‘parents’ decided they wanted us gone. Well, me gone.
                “Is that you… Riku?” The silver haired boy Sora was staring at turned around, his mouth open as if he had been stopped mid-sentence. He stared at Sora for a moment, his face blank as his eyes studied him. Sora waited anxiously as the silver hair male stared at him, waiting for a response.
                “Hello Sora. Long time, no see.” It was a simple reply, but it made Sora’s smile grow wide as he ran at the boy, flinging his arms around him. It was obvious Riku wasn’t expecting that.
                “I’ve missed you so much!” Sora mumbled into his chest. Riku slowly wrapped his arms around him, a slow smile spreading across his face. Vanitas grunted at the display of obvious affection, holding back the temptation to tell them to get a room. Instead, he stared at the two girls behind them. One had red hair, the other had black hair. The red head noticed him and smiled before walking over. Vanitas panicked slightly, really not wanting to talk to some girl.

                The girl held out her hand as she spoke, “Hi! I’m Kairi! Oh, and this is Xion, and… it seems you two already know Riku.” He stared at the girl’s hand in disgust, “What’s your name?” the question was directed solely at Vanitas, causing him to look away from the girl’s hand and towards her face. He gave her a cold, hard stare, wondering how long it’d take before she grew uncomfortable and gave up.
                “That’s Vanitas.” A somewhat deep voice muttered as he cast his eyes to the side. “I see you’re still a bit of an , just like back in elementary.” Vanitas grunted in response and returned my gaze to the silver haired male.
                “I see you’re still as ing dull as ever.” Not his best comeback, but there’s really not many ways to insult this guy. He’s not overly nice, but he’s not exactly mean either. Not friendly, but not exactly unfriendly. He’s more emotionless and boring than anything.
                “Ah, Sora! I’ve been looking for you! Why didn’t you text me?” Vanitas turned around, coming face-to-face with two nearly identical blonde twins.
                “My phone died! And Vani wouldn’t let me use his,” Sora pouted, sending a feeble attempt at a glare towards his brother. Vanitas just rolled my eyes, sticking his hands in his front pockets. Ventus stared at Sora, whom still hadn’t let go of Riku.
                “Uh… do you guys already know each other?”
                “Yeah! We were best friends back in elementary school!” Sora beamed, hugging Riku’s arm tighter, as if afraid he’d disappear if he let go.
                “Awesome,” the blonde smiled, turning his attention towards Vanitas, “So does that mean you know Riku, too?” he gave a simple nod of his head before turning his attention elsewhere. Not really interested in the blonde
                A guy with red, spikey hair walked up, followed by a male with a dirty blonde mullet and a small blonde girl. She looks innocent as , but she can’t be if she’s with them. Vanitas thought, watching the trio.
                “Hello Namine,” Ventus’ twin, Roxas, said, yawning.
                “Hey, guys!” the girl walked quickly to the blonde twins, enveloping them in a hug. Now that I think about it, the three look alike.
                “Namine is Ven’s and Rox’s younger sister.” Vanitas grunted, giving the redhead beside him some acknowledgement.
                “Tired are we, Roxy?” the red haired male spoke, draping an around the smaller blonde.
                “ off, Axel.”
                “Aw, don’t be like that, babe!” Vanitas raised a brow as the blonde shoved the redhead away when he tried to kiss him.
                “Where’s Aqua and Terra?” Riku asked suddenly, causing everyone’s attention to turn to Ventus.
                “Ahh… Terra got detention again… and Aqua has a club meeting,” he rubbed the back of his head. Axel shrugged, grabbed Roxas’ arm, and walked past Vanitas, grabbing hold of Xion as he did so. Vanitas turned to look over as Sora, whom seemed to be aimlessly jibber jabbering once again, though Riku didn’t seem to mind. He sighed internally. How boring. Turning around, he walked away, displeased with the large group of people. I’ll just go find some tree to nap under. Probably skip the next two classes, as well. Don’t really feel like going.
                Vanitas was a fare ways away when he heard footsteps chasing after him. He instinctively narrowed his eyes, getting ready to tell whoever it was to off.
                “W-wait!” a voice called out, which he recognized as Ventus’. He turned around, watching the blonde slow to a jog before stopping right in front of him. Ventus bent down, pressing his left hand against his knee and he held up the index finger on his left hand as he tried to catch his breath. Vanitas waited impatiently, already glaring at the male. “Hahh… alright, I’m good. Uh, your name is Vanitas, right?”
                “Yeah, so what?” Vanitas’ annoyed voice clearly replied.
                “Are you and Sora twins?”
                “No.”
                “Really? But you’re brothers and the same age… ah, or did you fa–” Vanitas cut him off before he could get ahead of himself.
                “Different mothers. Same father.” He stated plainly, bored with how many times he’s had to say that. People always assume he’s failed a grade because he and Sora aren’t twins.
                “Oh.” There was a long, awkward silence before Vanitas broke it.
                “What the hell do you want?” Ventus looked shocked at the male’s sudden foul attitude, and started fumbling over his words almost immediately.
                “O-oh, well nothing really, I mean, I uh… I… umm…” he trailed off casting his gaze towards his shoes with a new found interest. “You don’t like me much, huh?” he asked when he finally looked up, a sad smile on his face.
                “I don’t particularly like anyone much.” Vanitas stated, confused as to why the blonde would look sad over such a thing. “It has nothing to do with you.” He grumbled, turning around once again and walking away.
                “A-ah, wait!” Ventus yelled, grabbing hold of the black haired boy’s wrist. Vanitas stopped once Ventus’ hand made contact with his body. Turning his head slightly, Vanitas stared down at his hand for a moment before turning it more to glare at the blonde male. Ventus let go of his wrist instantly and started fiddling his thumbs. “I just uhh… don’t you want to hang out with everybody? I-I mean, your brother is back there and all…”
                “So? Riku’s there. And it’s not like I’m his babysitter.” Vanitas waited to see what the blonde would come up with next, but Ventus just stared at him, as if waiting for him to continue. Vanitas sighed, pressing the index and middle fingers on his right hand onto his temple, rubbing it softly. “Look, kid. I don’t care for the company of others. I was only there to make sure Sora didn’t get lost or run into trouble. But, as you can see, he’s fine.” His hand fell from his head, and gestured towards his brother, whom was now chatting away with Kairi.
                “What do you really want? You didn’t come all the way over here for just this crap. I’m not an idiot, you know.” Vanitas glared at the blonde once more, causing him to flinch.
                “I… don’t really know why I came over here.” He finally said, looking away from him.
                “Whatever. I’m leaving.”
                “Wait! Uh… lemme give you my number,” Ventus started, causing Vanitas to raise his brow. Why the would I want his number?  ”I mean, I gave it to Sora and all, so…” he trailed off, scratching the back of his head while flashing me a nervous smile.
                “If you wanted my number, you should’ve said so from the beginning, instead of wasting my time with this bull.” Vanitas pulled out a black sharpie, taking the blonde’s hand in his. He then proceeded to write his number on the palm of Ventus’ hand, then a dash and his name underneath. “I know Sora calls me ‘Vani’, so I’m telling you now. If you ever call me that, I’ll break your neck.” Vanitas glared at the male once more before walking away. Why the did I give him my number? Ah, well, it’s not like it matters now. What’s done is done.