Chapter 8

Trash

                Alarm blaring once more, Ventus finally dragged himself out of bed, only to realize he was late for school. Why didn’t Roxas and Namine wake me up? The blonde boy sighed, staring down at the floor with tired eyes as he slumped over to his closet, pulling out a simple white long sleeve shirt and a pair of blue jeans, slipping them on. As he did the button of his pants, he turned his head to look at the mirror, furrowing his brows.
                I’m not tired. Not physically. But my mind is exhausted. I just want to go back to sleep. I wish I could just stay in bed. He sighed once more, picking up the blue backpack and slinging it over his shoulder as he left the room. Running down the stairs, he left his home without grabbing breakfast or a lunch, not really in the mood to eat.
                Today will be better. It has to be. Ventus thought as he trudged down the sidewalk, fully aware he’s missed his first and second periods, and that lunch was nearly over.
 
                I’m late. Ventus mumbled in his head as he walked down the empty school hallways, alone. Keeping his head down, he yawned, eventually reaching his locker. Without looking up, he turned the dial, entering his code, and opened the metal door, shoving his backpack in and taking his books out.Why’s the hallway so empty? Class only started ten minutes ago. Usually there’s still a lot more students out.
                Closing his eyes and the locker door, Ventus let out a long breath he hadn’t even realized he was holding. As he opened his eyes, he turned, ready to head down the hall to class. Hmm? What’s that? Ventus turned back to his locker as he spotted writing on his locker.
                . Kill yourself. Nobody likes you. Just die already. Queer. Jump off a cliff. . Go to hell.
                Ventus stared at his locker in shock, books falling from his arms to the floor as they fell to his sides. The blonde’s eyes were wide as he read the anti-gay slurs painted on his locker.
                His vision began to blur; his body numb; his brain fuzzy. Eyes raced across the locker, reading the words over and over, trying to let them sink in, though not fully registering. This can’t be happening. Small beads of sweat rose on the blonde’s brow as tears stung his eyes. This wasn’t supposed to happen. Hands trembling and stomach lurching, Ventus began to sway, his knees unstable. His throat narrowed as an invisible, massive weight fell onto his fragile chest, making it difficult to breathe.
                Ventus’ knees gave out, causing him to drop to the ground as he continued to stare up at the locker, tears now streaming down his face and quivering hands desperately clutching at his heart and stomach. His body began to shake as he choked on sobs, arms quickly covering his gaping mouth, hiding his face, slim fingers attempting to rip out his hair. Today was supposed to be better. Tears soaked his face as his hands muffled the screams and sobs that violently ripped through his vocal cords. Constant quakes viciously wracked his body as he squeezed his eyes shut. Why is this happening to me?
 
                Vanitas cussed quietly under his breath as he walked down the school hallways, late for class yet again. Just as he turned the corner, he saw Ventus, staring at his locker in shock. A tear slipped down the blonde’s cheek as he sank to his knees, still staring at what Vanitas could now see was his vandalized locker. The ravenette watched in shock as his brother’s friend broke down, arms flying over his face and hands tangling in his hair. It was unexpected, to say the least.
                Ventus’ choked sobs and muffled screams rang loudly in the empty hallway, Vanitas stared at the broken male, wondering how he didn’t realize it had gotten this bad. Walking back the way he came, he opened a random unlocked locker, and slammed it shut, alerting the blonde of another presence in the hallway. The ravenette could hear Ventus struggle to hold his breath as he stood up, his footsteps leading away to what was presumably the bathroom. Once he heard the door swing shut, Vanitas turned the corner once more, and walked to Ven’s locker.
                “Kill yourself… … just die” Vanitas whispered, in a sharp breath as he scanned the various insults and phrases spray painted onto the locker. “Seifer’s dead.”
 
                Wiping his tears, Ventus left the bathroom stall, aware of his red, swollen eyes and hive infected face. “It’s not as bad as I thought it was…” he whispered, gently touching his face as he inspected it in the mirror. Sighing, Ventus turned the cold water on, letting the cold fluid run over his hand and between his fingers before scooping it up and splashing his face. The blonde repeated this action several times, until his face was clear of hives and his eyes not so swollen, though still a little pink. The blonde male then left the bathroom, unwilling to miss his fourth period as well.
                “Seifer.” He heard an angry voice growl and flinched at the sound of said name, his heart beginning to beat rapidly and tears already beginning to form again.
                “Vanitas,” Seifer’s amused voice sounded throughout the hallway, causing the blonde to freeze as he heard quickening footsteps. Looking up just in time, Ventus saw the ravenette shove the bully into the locker beside his, knocking the air out of his lungs. Vanitas grabbed the collar of Seifer’s shirt, twisted it, and pressed the male against the locker firmly, digging his knuckles into the blonde’s collar bone.
                “You need to stop.” Vanitas dropped his voice threateningly, glaring into his eyes. Ventus took in a sharp breath and began tiptoeing past the two teenagers, afraid to get caught.
                “I’m not sure what you’re talking about, Vani,” Seifer smirked, causing the ravenette’s eye to twitch. “I’m afraid you’ll have to spell it out for me.”
                “Leave. Ventus. Alone.” Vanitas snarled, his face close to Seifer’s. Ventus risked a glance over at the two, noticing the underlying fear in Seifer’s eyes.
                “Ventus? Oh, you mean him?” Seifer tilted his head to stare right past Vanitas, causing Ventus to freeze in horror. The ravenette didn’t bother to turn to see the petrified blonde behind him; just dug his knuckles deeper into Seifer, causing him to cringe in pain.
                “I’m not afraid of prison, Seifer. I suggest you stop before you regret it.” Vanitas whispered, glowering down his nose at the male before picking him up by his shirt and throwing him to the side, almost effortlessly. The ravenette turned around, ignoring the blonde in pain beside him to stare at the one behind him. The ravenette stared at him for a moment before walking down the hall as if nothing had happened, trying to keep his cool whilst internally freaking out.
                Seifer picked himself up off the ground, sending a glare to the frightened victim. “U-uh, Vanitas! W-wait for me!” Ventus called out to the ravenette, speeding down the hallway to meet him. Vanitas ignored the blonde as he walked beside him, whom occasionally turning to look at him. The two teens said nothing as they awakwardly walked to their fourth period class.