Chapter 2

Trash

 

                “Vani!” Vanitas opened his eyes, just in time to see Sora fling himself towards him.
                “Get. Off!” he grunted, shoving the slightly smaller male off him. “What the hell are you doing here?”
                “We figured you could use some company!” Sora smiled, causing Vanitas to look behind him to see who ‘we’ included. Not far behind Sora, he saw Riku, Kairi, Roxas, Namine and Ventus. Of course it’s just the lame ones. Vanitas groaned in annoyance, placing his hand on Fang’s head.Fang. Rivita had discovered him just a few days ago.
                It seems she’s more observant than the foster parents Sora and Vanitas had been stuck with. She’s not as much of an , either. Apparently she talked it over with her husband, and they decided they don’t mind a dog in the house. He’s already been there for a month, anyway.
                Fang immediately stopped growling, but watched the new comers like a hawk. Kairi watched him, uncertain of the Doberman. “Scared?” Vanitas smirked, watching the redhead’s eyes trail back towards him.
                “Of course not!” she said defiantly, glaring at him. She’s come to hate him over time. Vanitas just laughed, patting Fang’s head.
                “He’s harmless. Unless, of course, you piss me off.” Vanitas offered a smile towards the group of teenagers, pulling out a cigarette. “What do you want, anyway?” he asked, directing the question towards his brother. Sora fumbled over his words before finally pointing at the sea.
                “We decided to go swimming!” he shouted, causing Vanitas to wince.
                “Jeez, don’t be so loud.” He scolded before continuing, “And don’t go on the rocks. Rivita will get pissed, and I don’t feel like dealing with that woman today.”
                Sora scowled, obviously ready to lecture him once again about referring to Rivita as ‘that woman’ and, well, Rivita. He believes they should be calling her ‘mom’ or ‘mother’, even though they’ve only been here for a month. Vanitas glanced over at the others, some of which were already stripping down to their bathing suits. Sora followed his eyes, then sighed, mouthing a piece of the lecture instead of saying it out loud.
                “You need to be nicer. Rivita is our mother now, and these are our friends. At least try.”  Sora offered him a warm smile, but he just rolled his eyes, flicking his hand to the side, motioning for Sora to leave him be. Vanitas watched as the younger boy deflated before perking up immediately when he heard a splash, followed by a squeal. Kairi had jumped in, causing water to spray at Namine, who was the only one that wasn’t in her swim suit.
                Vanitas mindlessly Fang’s back as he sat behind him, watching the teens splash in the water. His sleek fur was burning hot. Gently, Vanitas pushed him forward, allowing him to go for a swim. As Fang paddled over towards Sora, Namine sat at the edge of Vanitas’ lawn chair, next to his feet.
                “Hello.” Her shy voice brought him out of his slight trance, resulting in his stare dragging over towards her, but his lids lazily were only opened halfway. The blonde flinched as she saw the bored look on his face. Vanitas raised a brow, lighting his cigarette and taking a drag. Namine watched him intensely as the smoke left his lips.
                “You want one?” Vanitas asked, ready to reach into his messenger bag, which held his smokes. She just shook her head, glancing down at her feet. “Then what do you want?” his voice sounded more threatening and annoyed than he had meant it to. The small girl bit her lip, glancing at her brothers before turning her gaze back to him.
                “You hate us… don’t you? You only put up with us because of Sora, right?” her voice came out shy and unsure. Vanitas stared at her in shock. He wasn’t expecting that sort of question from the shy girl.
                “I haven’t got a reason to hate any of you. It’s true I only put up with those idiots,” the elder teen started, regaining his composure as he pointed towards the others, “Because of Sora, but I don’t hate any of them, and I like you.” Vanitas stared blankly at the girl as her eyes widened, taking in his words.
                “Y-you like me?” she asked, pink dusting her cheeks. “W-why?”
                “You’re quiet. You don’t tick me off. Simple enough, nothing special.” Vanitas said, turning his head as Kairi screamed, flinging water back at Sora. “Don’t take it the wrong way. I’d just rather Sora brought you around instead of, say, her.” Vanitas pointed towards the redhead, who was now hiding behind Riku.
                “You don’t like Kairi?”
                “She’s annoying as . Not very smart either.” He took another drag, keeping his mouth shut so the smoke would come out his nostrils.
                “Watch it kid, that’s my cousin you’re talking about.” A deep voice, laced with amusement, sounded from behind him. A small smile broke out on his face as Vanitas automatically reached into his bag, pulling out his pack of cigarettes and handing one to the man that now stood behind him.
                “Didn’t know you were coming!” Axel plopped down beside Vanitas, on the ground, taking the cigarette and lighter from his hand.
                “I’ve been here since before dawn.”
                “You were here that long? What, do you get a kick outta being the first one at a meeting place or something?”
                “I come out here before the sun rises every morning.”
                “You like to watch the sun rise? That’s a little girly, man.”
                “I don’t really care for the sight, but Fang’s got a thing for it. He gets uneasy if he can’t watch the sun rise each day. Been like that since I found him.”
                “Fang?” Axel glanced up at Vanitas, an eyebrow raised, though he was looking down at his phone. Vanitas was checking his messages as he heard a loud splashing, causing him to look up just in time to see a blur of black dart towards them, stopping just in front of Namine and sitting down. He wagged his tail stump, panting slightly as he watched the blonde. “Oh.”
                Namine hesitated slightly, placing a hand on Fang’s head and running it down his back. The Doberman adjusted himself, leaning against her legs as he looked out over the water.
                “Axel? You’re here already?” Roxas stepped out of the water and walked over to stand in front of the redhead, “You said you wouldn’t be able to get away til like, three.”
                “Got away sooner than I thought!” Axel laughed, leaning forward slightly and taking hold of Roxas’ wrist, pulling him down towards him.
                “H-hey! Watch it, you idiot!” Roxas elbowed Axel in the stomach as the redhead held on tightly, nuzzling his face into the smaller male’s neck. “Let go!”
                Axel grumbled something similar to a ‘no way, not happening’, tightening his grip. Roxas finally gave up, sinking into his boyfriend’s lap, a frown evident on his face.
 

                A few hours later, and just about everyone was passed out on the sandy terrain. Sighing, Vanitas stood up, pocketing his phone as he tapped his left leg twice. Fang stood up quickly, walking to his side. He made his way around the bodies sprawled out across the small private beach, heading towards the only on-land opening.
                “Should I have brought my bag?” Vanitas paused to wonder out loud, looking down towards the black dog beside his whom shook his head.
                “Vanitas..?” the voice was quiet, tired. Vanitas grimaced, realizing there’ll never be a way to leave Sora and his friends without at least one person noticing. Why is there so many of them, anyways?
                “What?” Vanitas sighed, turning back to look at Ventus, the one who had stopped him last time as well. The blonde rubbed his eyes as he slowly walked towards him, shivering as the wind blew past them.
                “Where are you going?” he asked, rubbing his bare arms.
                “Taking Fang for a walk. Why?” Vanitas glared at the shivering male as the sun began to set behind him.
                “Just wondering…” he whispered, glancing back at the six teens passed out behind him. “Uh… mind if I come along?” Vanitas sighed, pulling his black sweater off and handing it to the blonde.
                “If you’re coming with, put it on. I don’t actually need it, but it’s obvious you do.” Ventus smiled slightly, taking the sweater and pulling it over his arms.
                “Mmm…” he sighed contently, sudden warmth embracing him. “It smells like you.” He mumbled as they started walking. Vanitas’ eyebrows furrowed as he resisted the urge to look over at the male.
                “Is that problem?” he growled, annoyed with the blue eyed male.
                “Not at all… smells good.” He smiled, pulling the sweater over his hands as he brought them up towards his face to cover the blush that was now erupting upon it. Vanitas ignored the statement, tapping his left leg three times to allow Fang to wander in front of them.
 

                They walked around in silence for a bit as it slowly got darker. “Kairi likes Sora.” Ventus blurted out, clearly unable to hold it in any longer.
                “I know.”
                “It doesn’t bother you?”
                “No. It’s not like Sora likes her.” Vanitas laughed, running a hand through his hair.
                “How do you know he doesn’t like her?” Ven’s brows furrowed and his eyes narrowed, staring up at the younger teen, almost as if he had insulted him.
                “I’m his brother.” Vanitas started, putting extra emphasis on the word ‘brother’. “He tells me everything. Even things I don’twant to know. Besides, I know who he likes. He’s liked the same person for years, and I swear he never shuts up about ‘em.” He scowled, picking up a stick from the side of the road and flinging it forward for Fang to chase.
                “Oh. I guess that makes sense. Sora does seem to trust you a lot.”
                “You sound surprised.”
                “I guess I just don’t understand why he trusts you so much.” Ventus stopped, furrowing his brows once again in confusion. Vanitas stopped a couple steps in front of him and turned back, watching the blonde.
                “Ventus, Sora and I have been switching schools for years. Sora mentioned that at one point. Haven’t you ever wondered why?”
                “I thought it was just ‘cause your parents travel for work.”
                “Sora and I don’t have parents. I’m all he’s got. Or, well, I used to be, before Rivita adopted us.” Vanitas stated, turning his head to check on Fang who was now sniffing at another dog. “I’m the only one that’s been with him from the beginning. That’s why he trusts me.” Finishing what he had to say, Vanitas walked over to the owner of the dog Fang was playing with.
                “Hey.” As he examined the girl, he noticed she mainly wore black. Goth, probably. Probably a more modernized goth, which is more common and accepted.
                “Not interested.” She stated plainly, not even bothering to look over at him as she watched the dogs. A smile graced Vanitas’ features as he chuckled.
                “Good, cause neither am I.” Vanitas laughed, watching her eyebrows furrow in confusion.
                “Then why are you talking to me?” she looked over at him, a light pink dusting her face as she looked him over a few times. Vanitas raised a brow, his lips twitching into a smirk.
                “Jeez, obvious much?” he chuckled before turning to look at the dogs, “You own the husky, right?”
                “Yeah, she’s mine.”
                “That’s why I’m talking to you. Your husky is playing with Fang; my Doberman.” Vanitas stated dully as Ventus walked over to stand by my side.
                “Who’s the cutie?” she asked, leaning towards the side to get a better look at Ventus.
                “Some guy that’s been following me around.” Vanitas frowned as he watched Fang rip across the park in front of them.
                “That’s rude, Vanitas.” Ventus sighed as he stuck his hands in his pockets.
                “Phone.” Vanitas commanded, not bothering to look over as he held his hand out. Ventus placed his cell in his hand and he checked the texts quickly before letting out a quick whistle. Fang’s ears twitched and he turned his head towards the sound. Vanitas tapped his left leg twice, and Fang trotted over to stand by his side as a guard dog.
                “Well, we’ve gotta go.” Vanitas said to the random girl, waving his hand in the air as he walked away. Ventus quickly followed after him. “Apparently the others have been looking for you.”
                “What? Why?” Ventus sounded surprised and he struggled to keep pace with him. “Why just me? Why not you, too?”
                “Sora knows I take Fang out around this time.” Vanitas stated, turning the corner quickly. “Besides, I can take care of myself. But, apparently, you can’t. I hear you’re quite the wimp.” He smirked, glancing back at the blonde male who was slightly behind him.
                “I-I’m not a wimp!” he proclaimed, rushing to quickly fall in step with the black haired male.
                “Ventus!” Vanitas stopped, turning his head towards the sound. A blonde head rushed past him, ramming into the male beside him. He realized it was Namine as he heard the other’s voices.
                “Vani! You found him! Where was here?” Sora asked, running up to his younger brother, a worried look still plastered on his face.
                “He’s been with me the whole time.” Sora looked shocked at this new piece of information as Roxas appeared beside Ventus. The others held back, a conversation forming between them.
                “Veeen, I thought you said you hated Vanitas,” Roxas teased, wiggling his eyebrows at his twin. Ventus scowled at his twin, a deep crimson taking over his pale features. Vanitas rolled my eyes, already walking away from the blonde teens.
                “Oh, brother? Ventus and Riku are staying the night… Namine is going home with Kairi, and Roxas is going with Axel.”
                “Why the hell are they staying the night?”
                “It was the only thing we could think of when we woke up… the twins and Namine aren’t allowed out after dark, so Roxas called their mom and asked to stay over so we wouldn’t have to tell her Ven was missing.”
                “Okay, then why is Riku staying over?”
                “Cause I want him to!” Sora chirped, running a few steps over to Riku and jumping on him. Does he know how obvious he is?
                “Whatever. Let’s get back, I have things to do.”