Chapter 9

Trash

                Sighing, Sora plopped down in his seat, crossing his arms on the table and placing his head down almost immediately, not bothering to look up at the concerned faces in front of him. Digging his face further into the small nest he had made, he sighed once more, tears pricking his eyes as hot, minty air seemed to ricochet off his arms into them. A small, delicate hand softly ruffled his already dishevelled hair in a feeble attempt to sooth him.
                “Sora, you okay?” a sweet voiced laced with worry rung in his ears, causing him to blink.
                “It’s Vanitas again, isn’t it?” Riku placed his chin on Sora’s desk, only a few inches from his messy hair. Sora nodded meekly as he recalled what had happened.
                “He’s doing it again.” His tired voice, muffled by the cloth on his arms, reached the two teen’s ears before he looked up, revealing his exhaustion.
                “I thought he promised to stop. What happened?” Riku asked, narrowing his eyes as he saw the effect Vanitas had on his older brother.
                “What’s he doing?” Kairi questioned the two as she tilted her head, confused.
                “I don’t know what happened… it just started again.” Sora sighed, rerouting his gaze to the floor.
                “Uh, ­what is he doing?” the redhead asked once again, only to be ignored… once again.
                “Something must have happened.” Riku mumbled, watching the classroom door as though Vanitas would magically walk in and tell them what was going on.
                “­Excuse me,” Kairi growled, gritting her teeth, “Just what is he doing?” her voice grew louder as she grew agitated, causing the two teenage boys to look at her.
                “Vanitas is fighting again.” Riku answered the seething female calmly, oblivious to the reason why she was so angry.
                “He stopped for a long time. Only fought when ‘there was not other choice’, as he’d say. Now Vani’s fighting… just to fight.”
                “So… you’re sad because… your brother, who happens to be an delinquent, is fighting.” Kairi stared at the small brunette in disbelief, raising a brow.
                “He promised he wouldn’t fight anymore.” Riku answered for Sora, whom had hidden his face in his arms once again.
                “Oh.”
                “Sora!” a blonde male burst through the classroom door, his breath coming out in short, quick bursts. “Sora, Vanitas… he… what the heck…” the blonde panted, placing one hand on his waist whilst holding the other up, all but one finger curled, indicating he wished to catch his breath. Sora shot out of his seat and ran over to his friend, several heads in the room turning to watch. “Police… hospital…” Ventus stared at the brunette, eyes wide as tears pricked Sora’s eyes.
                “Is the victim okay?” Sora asked quickly, more concerned for whom Vanitas was fighting due to experience. Brows furrowed, Ventus stared at the teen in confusion.
                “Vanitas is the victim,” Ventus started, startling the brunette teen. Sora resembled a deer caught in headlights as he took off down the hall.
                “What hospital?” Riku questioned the male as he ducked out of the classroom and watched the brunette speed down the hallway, despite having no idea where to go. Ventus stared at the silver haired teen, his face blank.
                “I don’t remember,” the blonde stared blankly at Sora’s back as he stopped, finally realizing he doesn’t know where to go. The brunette turned back hesitantly, a lost look etched onto his face. “But I know how to get there.” Ventus took a step towards Sora, then another, and another, speed increasing all the while until the two were running down the hall together, leaving behind an irritated silver haired teen.
                By the time Riku got opened the school doors, Sora and Ventus were waiting by Axel’s car. “Axel, hurry up! Riku’s here now!” Ventus called out towards the redhead, who had just exited the doors on the other side of the building.
                “I’m coming, I’m coming!” he shouted back, waving a hand to dismiss the blonde. The minute Axel unlocked the doors, Sora pulled Riku into the back with him, and Ventus jumped in the front seat.
                “That way!” Ventus pointed behind them as he fastened his seat belt, an overwhelming urge to get to the hospital taking over his body.
 
                “What room is he in?” Riku asked, studying the map of the rather large hospital. Axel leaned against the wall beside the map, watching as the smaller teens rushed over to the receptionist.
                “Vanitas Ashe. I’m here for Vanitas Ashe! What room is he in?” Sora’s urgent and panicked voice startled the lady behind the glass, and she immediately found the information on the computer.
                “I’m sorry, but only family, as well as people the family allow, are allowed into his room.” Sora dug around in his bag, pulling out his student card and shoving it against the glass.
                “I’m his older brother!” Sora shouted, his knees beginning to wobble. The woman looked at him, surprised, then nodded.
                “He’s in room 104.” Sora smiled, Ventus thanks the lady, then the two ran over to the taller males, intent on getting to the room as soon as possible.
                “This way,” Riku started down the hall, taking Sora’s trembling hand in his own. Sora huddled next to Riku as they walked down the hall quickly, aware they aren’t allowed to run. Axel and Ventus followed the two, chatting mindlessly until the group stopped, reaching their destination.
                “What if he’s really hurt? W-what if he’s in a coma!?” Sora panicked, staring at the shut door with wide eyes, his unintentionally loud voice making him cringe. Riku sighed, patting his boyfriend’s head as he pushed the door open, only to see Vanitas staring blankly at the doctor, nodding occasionally.
                “Most importantly, you need to rest it. Understood?” the doctor droned on, giving the raven haired male pain medication. “No more than two tablets a day, one every twelve hours.” Vanitas nodded, examining the bottle of pills.
                “Vanitas!” Sora yelled, throwing himself at his brother. Axel laughed as the force of Sora’s tackle-hug knocked the two off the hospital bed.
                “Sora, get off.” Vanitas growled underneath his older brother, legs still on the bed and back now sore. Sora curled up against Vanitas’ chest, wrapping his arms around his torso and straddling his waist, unwilling to let his precious little brother go.
                “I thought something really bad happened!” Sora whined into the ravenette’s chest, caused him to sigh. Ventus climbed onto the bed, poking his head over the edge to see the two teens, a large smile on his face.
                “I’m glad you’re okay, Vani!” the blonde laughed, causing the ravenette’s face to flush ever so slightly. Vanitas growled, shoving Sora off him as dragged his legs off the bed, sitting up.
                “It’s just a boxer’s fracture. Not a big deal.” Standing up, Vanitas shoved the pill bottle into his backpack before slinging it over his shoulder. Sora frowned up at the male, unhappy he was dismissed so easily.
                Vanitas left the room, soon followed by the four teenagers. “What happened, anyhow?” Axel asked, lifting Vanitas’ arm to get a better look at the cast.
                “Raijin and Seifer pissed me off.” Vanitas answered, half ignoring the taller male. “ing homophobes.” It came out barely a whisper, but they all heard it.
                “How’d they come out of it?” Riku narrowed his eyes, aware of Vanitas’ lack of control when angry. A large spread across the ravenette’s face as he glanced back at the silver haired teen.
                “Not so good.” Vanitas smirked as he waited for the hospital’s automatic door to open.