Chapter 6

Trash

               Vanitas glared at his laptop screen, uncertain of how to word the next sentence. Which word should I use? Euphoria… or ecstasy… “The drug is said to send its users into a dangerous euphoria… no, ecstasy. Yeah, ecstasy.” He mumbled, quickly retyping the sentence on said drug, eager to word each and every sentence perfectly; to write the most interesting article, so his will get picked. There’s no way I’m letting that ‘Alex Wolfe’ get the spot.
                Vanitas jumped slightly as a soft rapping sound came from the front door, threatening to give him a heart attack. “Who is it?” the ravenette droned, standing up and walking over towards the door, looking through the peephole.
                “It’s me!” Vanitas groaned, turning the knob and swing the door open.
                “Sora isn’t here.” He growled, glaring at the blonde in front of him. Ventus smiled, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.
                “I’m not here for Sora…” he mumbled, tilting his torso to the side as he heard a soft padding sound accompanied by a light clicking noise. “Hello, Fang!” Ventus greeted the Doberman cheerfully as the well-trained dog sat down, exactly one foot diagonally behind the ravenette. Vanitas scowled, his eyes narrowing.
                “Then why are you here?” Ventus’ attention retuned to the teenage male in front of him, fighting all the while.
                “I came to hang out with you. Is that a problem?” Ventus frowned, saddened that may have to leave even if he came all this way to see the raven haired male. Vanitas’ eye twitched as he considered shooing the blonde away. Sighing, he opened the door wider, gesturing for the male to walk in. The ravenette trudged over to the couch after pushing the door shut, flopping down once more. Setting his laptop back onto his lap, he typed in a few more sentences, finishing the article on a newly found drug, known as Gem. Emailing it to the newspaper, he sighed in content, closing the laptop and looking up at Ventus, whom now stood in front him, watching his every move.
                “What do you want?” he asked, eyeing the male. Ventus looked away, biting the inside of his cheek.
                “I uhh… I… just wanted to make sure you weren’t gonna… tell anyone about… you know…” Ventus trailed off, staring at the ground as his face flushed a light pink. Vanitas snorted, a hand flying up to his face; thumb on his left temple, middle finger on his right; shielding his eyes as he chuckled to himself, amused by the blonde’s words.
                “I’m not going to say anything. It’d be useless,” Vanitas stopped laughing and stared at the blonde, a serious expression in his eyes. Ventus stared at the male, unsure whether or not he was telling the truth. “Are we done here?” Vanitas asked, placing his laptop on the coffee table.
                “That’s not the only reason I came over, you know.” Ventus sighed, shaking his head. “I meant it when I said I came to hang out with you.” Vanitas raised an eyebrow, surprised the blonde wanted to hang out with him. Ventus shifted, biting the inside of his cheek.
                Furrowing his brows, Vanitas stood up. “Why?” he rhetorically questioned the male as he walked towards the kitchen, tapping his leg twice. Fang stood up from the spot he had claimed on the floor and trotted over to the ravenette, watching him with eager eyes. Vanitas reached up to the top cupboard, pulling out a box of dog treats. He browsed through the different treats before selecting the traditional bone biscuit, placing it between his index and middle fingers. “Follow.” He commanded, glancing at the time. Three thirty three. Not that late.
                Ventus watched the black Doberman follow his owner out the back door before walking towards the door himself. Standing in the door way, he watched as Vanitas made various hand signs, occasionally accompanied by a voice command. Fang sat, laid down, rolled over, fetched various objects, barked and jumped, which Ventus assumed Vanitas told him to. Vanitas clapped his hands together once, causing the sleek dog to sit patiently, staring up at the ravenette.
                Slowly, Vanitas placed the doggy biscuit on the tip of Fang’s nose, and walked away. Once Vanitas had taken five steps, Fang barked, flung the treat in the air, and successfully caught it. Vanitas hung his hand down as his beloved Doberman trotted up to him, biscuit in his mouth. Fang nudged the ravenette’s hand out of the way. The Doberman sat on the verandah, quickly ate his treat and lapped at the water bowl Ventus hadn’t noticed was there.
                Vanitas stared at the blond teen as he shoved past him, curious as to why he had not left yet. Walking back towards the living room, Vanitas picked up his laptop. “I’m heading to my room. Do whatever you want.” He stated before heading up the stairs, bored of the blonde already.
                Ventus followed the male, determined to spend a few hours alone with him. As the blonde reached the top of the stairs, he noticed how dark the hallway was, and how the light from Vanitas’ room shone through the darkness, as if it were a beacon showing him the way to safety. The blonde made his way towards the door, soon leaning against the frame as he watched the ravenette on his bed do something on his phone.
                Hearing footsteps coming near him, Vanitas turned to face the blonde, lowering his phone slightly. “Should’ve known you wouldn’t leave me alone.” He grumbled, sitting up to give the blonde room to sit.
                “I didn’t know you were into stuffed animals, Vani,” Ventus teased, picking up a moogle plushy that sat neat the foot of the bed, alone.
                “I’m not.” Vanitas stated plainly watching the blonde as he examined the moogle, eventually hugging it close to his chest. “Sora brought it back with him on one of his many excursions with Riku. Wouldn’t let me throw it out.” The ravenette barely held back laughter as Ventus puffed out his cheeks, placing his chin atop the moogle’s head. Vanitas cracked a smile, unable to contain all of his amusement.
                “It’s really soft,” Ventus laughed, turning to face the raven haired male directly, interested in his sudden, rare smile. The blonde teenager made another face, then another, and another, until he had Vanitas laughing purely. Soon, both teenage males were chatting carelessly and laughing rather loudly, pleased to be in one another’s presence.
 
                “What’s that noise?” Riku asked, following Sora into the house. “Sounds like laughing, but isn’t your brother the only one here?”
                “Yeah… Rivita and John won’t be home for another hour or two.” Sora replied, pulling out his phone to confirm his estimate. “Yeah, it’s eight, so Vani should be the only one here…” Sora delved deep into his thoughts, trying to remember if his younger brother had mentioned having anyone over today. Riku placed his hand on Sora’s lower back, pulling him towards the stairs as their faces flushed a light pink, unnoticeable to the other. Sora smiled, catching on to Riku’s actions and tiptoeing up the stairs, being sure to skip that one squeaky step near the top, so as to not indicate their arrival to the two teens in Vanitas’ room.
                “Is that…?” Riku whispered, leaning over Sora to peek in at the two teenage males. Ventus was sitting at the bottom of Vanitas’ bed, smiling whilst hugging the large stuffed moogle and laughing lightly at something Vanitas had said, his eyes closed. The ravenette watched the blonde fondly, enjoying the smile he had put on his face. Sora smiled, backing up slightly, only to run into Riku, whom was barely an inch away from the brunette. The silver haired male stood up straight as Sora took his hand, leading him towards his room.
                “I’m happy that Vani has finally made a friend!” Sora giggled, oblivious to what was really going on. Riku squeezed his hand as the brunette led him into his own room. Letting go of the taller male’s hand, Sora flopped down onto the bed, sighing in content. Riku eyed the short male, his cheek dusting a light pink as his thoughts wandered for forbidden places; forbidden places he couldn’t stop thinking of.
                “Hey, Riku? I have a confession to make,” the brunette sat up abruptly, his intense gaze making Riku shudder ever-so-slightly. Riku stared blankly at the brunette, waiting for him to continue. Does he actually know what’s going on after all? Or maybe, he does like Kairi. The silver haired boy’s thoughts made his heart drop, though he made sure not to let it show on his face. “I’ve been in love with you since sixth grade.”
                Riku’s eyes widened as Sora stared at him, a determined look in his eyes. The silver haired boy took a moment to register what his shorter friend had just said, causing his heart to soar and his stomach to do flips. Dear god, Riku, don’t you dare throw up. He mentally commanded himself as his hand involuntarily raised to clutch his shirt in the space between his chest and stomach. Sora’s eyes flickered to the side, his determination wavering slightly, nearly giving in to his fear of rejection.
                Riku kept a straight face as he walked over to the brunette sitting on the bed, causing the brunette’s gaze to falter, falling to his chest rather than staying locked on his eyes. As the silver haired male reached the brunette, he leaned down, gingerly placing a soft kiss on Sora’s lips as he held himself up with his hand, which was now located behind Sora, firmly placed on the bed. “I love you.” Riku whispered into Sora’s mouth, a small smile gracing his features as Sora flung his arms around him, deepening the kiss.