Chapter 71

Attayear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

***Warning: for a number of you, this might well be a double update as I only put up the previous chapter about 5/6 hours ago.  Please make sure you go back and read it or this one won't make much sense!  Also, more mild gore ahead, I guess?***

 

Baekhyun realised a split-second too late that a violent change in momentum would likely weaken the already weak doors still further.  What he hadn’t realised was how much damage prolonged suction would cause to the scaffolding that was propping the doors.  In hindsight, the damage made a lot of sense.  Unfortunately, hindsight had twenty-twenty vision.  In hindsight, he should have told Jinsu that he’d be the one to pull Minhwan inside and she should work the pulleys.  In hindsight, he ought to have convinced her not to do it.

Instead, he found himself on his knees beside her while she lay in a pool of blood from an injury on her neck from some shorn-off, twisted metal piping and he didn’t know if it was a better option to remove said piping or to leave it where it was in the hopes that it would help stem the flow of blood.

In the back of his mind, though, Baekhyun knew there was no hope, because a part of his brain that he really didn’t want to listen to was pointing out that she had a severed artery.  He could see Jinsu struggling to say something to him, and it felt like fate was playing some cruel, cruel joke.  They’d been through so much, put so much water under the bridge.  They’d just witnessed one of the few things that could make everything right again.  They had so many things they needed to do together because they’d wasted four whole years hating each other.  He’d promised her he’d look after her.

And yet she was bleeding out on the floor and Minhwan was yelling at him to land the Attayear and all he could think about was how it felt like the world was collapsing around him because really, the only thing that mattered to him was that she was still alive.  That she would still be alive.  He was no way near prepared to lose her.

He was almost blinded by tears by the time Minhwan’s order got through to him and he stumbled frantically into the control room and over to the Doctor.  Gone was the smooth, simple-looking interface, replaced with dialogue boxes all over the screen.  Baekhyun dashed his vision clear with the back of his hand.  He had to focus, had to concentrate, if they were going to be in with a chance, but he felt like he was going to be sick with panic and code – there was so much code and he couldn’t understand a thing.  He needed Jinsu for this.  Jinsu was the programmer, not him.  He couldn’t do this.

Land us or she’s going to die.

Baekhyun opened up the first dialogue box, hoping there would be something simple and easy there which he could amend to bring the machine to a stop.

Sensing somebody there, the computer pinged with another dialogue box, this time just with text.  Baekhyun barely read something about conflicting operating systems before shooting it down.  Another one popped up.

The second Baekhyun realised it was talking about the atrium, he latched onto it, fingers trembling uncontrollably as he tried to type and barely able to see the screen through his blurred vision.  There was coding there that he wasn’t particularly sure of, but he thought he got the gist.

Problem in the atrium that the computers had identified?  Yes, there was.  The doors?  No, it was near the doors.  Something about heat – he didn’t even know.  Back in time, stop time, into the future?  Back, back to the future, back where they had decent hospitals, stop, stop somewhere they could get Jinsu help.  How much time?  He didn’t even know.  How long would it even take?  Did Jinsu even have that long?  Now even more frantic, Baekhyun mashed through the questions, trying to stick to areas of coding that he knew for the questions and shooting down additional pop-ups complaining about computer stuff he didn’t understand.  He was asked for authorisation.  He gave it.  A pop-up demanded to know if he really wanted to authorise this.

Almost in hysterics, Baekhyun hit the green authorisation button several times in quick succession.  All he cared about was stopping Jinsu somewhere where they could get her help.  She needed help.  She had to have help.

Waiting just long enough to see that the Doctor was processing the commands, Baekhyun dashed back out of the main deck and back towards the atrium.  He couldn’t leave Jinsu alone there with Minhwan.  He had to make sure she was okay.  He had to make sure nothing bad was going to happen.

He burst back into the atrium amid a roar of engines quite unlike anything else he’d ever heard in the Attayear.  Panels all over the place were swivelling round, revealing air vents he hadn’t even known existed.  Minhwan was kneeling beside Jinsu, patting frantically at her face with one hand while his head was pressed to her chest.  He held one of her wrists tightly  in his grasp, switching it to the other after a moment or two, and then pressing his head back to her chest again.

Baekhyun felt like his heart had jumped off a cliff.

Minhwan looked up at that moment and saw him standing there, frozen.

“I can’t find it,” he said, sounding as hysterical as Baekhyun felt.  “I can’t find her pulse and she’s not breathing – it’s been nearly three minutes already.”

Shock and disbelief hit Baekhyun simmultaneous

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter