Chapter 70

Attayear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

***Warning: mild gore? Alluded to rather than specific.***

 

The second Baekhyun affirmed the input of the dates, time and place, the Attayear went into Dive, and something about the atmosphere of it was noticeably different.  The Dive wasn’t as stable as it had been with the Tardis coding in full control, but it was much quicker, much more responsive.  Jinsu was aware that the engines had already been up and running, geared to go because the viruses were still pitted against each other, but she hadn’t expected it to happen quite that fast.  She’d been prepared for much more preparation time.

“Minseok hyung has my vote on that, I think,” was Baekhyun’s first comment when they had their vision and balance back.  His face looked a little green.  Around them, the engines were beginning to quieten, though the machine was not wholly stable and rolled and bucked every so often.  “I think that sent us a good way over Temp 3.  We seem to just be letting the speed carry us now.”

Like it could hear him, the Attayear’s lights dimmed to a warm glow.

“Okay,” Baekhyun corrected himself in a murmur.  “We’re coasting.  I do not want to know what speed we actually launched at.”

Some areas of Tardis appeared not to have been completely overridden, because as Baekhyun spoke, software Jinsu hadn’t seen since Minseok had let her explore the computers in Balhae popped up, showing a map of the proposed time and area they were going to, asking various questions.  Baekhyun set about answering them.

Jinsu withdrew herself a little and began to wander away.  Now that they were settled and on their way, she was going to have time to think, and she needed to sort out the mess in her brain by herself.  Adjusting was not going to be easy, but harder than that was Baekhyun being so sweet to her.

She staggered as the machine bucked again.  Two months ago, had they been in the same situation, Baekhyun would have laughed in her face and crowed “I told you so!”  He would have been triumphant at the turn of events.  Now, Jinsu couldn’t think of a single thing she’d done to deserve him.  Even with the amount that they’d managed to patch up between them, it was difficult to see how he could care so much about the daughter of a man like Park Jiwoon.

The Attayear pitched violently and nearly sent her sprawling.

“Where are you going?” asked Baekhyun.

“Bathroom,” Jinsu mumbled as an instant excuse.

“Could you check the front doors on the way?  The interior layout map’s highlighting them in red – I’m worried the cord from the pulleys didn’t hold or the pulleys are messing them around or something.  Tao said he put the scaffolding in because the doors were rather weak.”

Jinsu nodded her agreement.

“It’s probably why the flight isn’t quite smooth,” Baekhyun added as the Attayear gave a sudden lurch and almost tipped him onto the motherboards.  Jinsu was near enough to the door for it to cast her out.

Glad of an excuse to do something that wasn’t near Baekhyun and might help her to procrastinate on sorting out what she thought about her father, Jinsu headed down the passage towards the atrium.  Every so often, she had to grab hold of the wall to prevent herself from falling as the Attayear continued with its jerky movements.  She hoped that whatever the problem was, it would be fixable without having to dive into a whole lot of coding because her brain was not capable of thinking about that right at that moment.

She felt the suction tug before she heard the wind, and by that point, as she came round the end of the passage, she was definitely clinging to the wall to help her along.  A terrible howling entered her ears.  It did not sound like it boded at all well.  Jinsu winced, wondering if she could capitulate and go back.

And then she heard it, a faint, human cry of pain, followed by something that might just have been help!, coming from well inside the atrium.  It was barely audible over the rush of wind, but it was enough to set Jinsu’s heart in .

Carefully, she inched her way into the atrium proper, still clinging to the sides.

The doors were open.  That was the first thing she noticed.  Not by much – only by what looked to be a hand’s width, but they were definitely open, and Jinsu immediately panicked.  The last time something had been open midflight, they’d lost Sehun and Jongdae.

The second thing was the person whose ankle was trapped in the doors and who was clinging onto the scaffolding for dear life, completely white with pain and crying out with fear.

“Baekhyun!” she shrieked, hoping it would get his attention.  This was a job for more than one person.

It got the attention of the person who was trapped, and he lifted his head.  Soaking hair fell into his eyes, which lit up with desperate hope at the sight of her.

Jinsu nearly froze.  What was Minhwan doing there?  Jinsu was pretty sure they’d left him in the future.  He was supposed to be locked up.

“I can’t hold on much longer!”  He wrapped one of his arms tighter around the scaffolding as if to make the point.  The Attayear roiled and the doors moved a little.  For a brief moment, it looked like Minhwan was going to be out, but just as it looked like his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter