Chapter 75

Attayear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It took Jinsu so long to find Baekhyun that everybody ended up raiding the fridge and eating the food he’d left for her the previous night instead.  Eventually, once the others were bored of the search and Jinsu was left alone with some peace and quiet, she took a proper look over the Attayear to try to find where Baekhyun might be.  She even looked in the storeroom, though she didn’t know why Baekhyun would have wanted to stay in there for a good few hours just to hide from everybody.  It was only when she was heading back upstairs with the intention of going to her room that she abruptly remembered Baekhyun hiding in it to escape from Minhwan and his friends back when she had still hated his guts, and she wondered if he might be pulling a similar stunt again.

Sure enough, when she finally summoned up the courage to knock on Minhwan’s door, Baekhyun was there.

The atmosphere was noticeably awkward.  Minhwan was sitting cross-legged on his bed, looking like he could do with at least another ten hours’ sleep, and his broken foot black all over with bruises.  A pair of crutches were propped up against the wall nearby.

Baekhyun was perched on a chair on the opposite side of the room as far away from Minhwan as it was possible to get.  They were both eyeing each other as though expecting the other to attack and it was dead silent.  Jinsu was pretty certain it must have been like this for quite some time.

“What are you doing here?” she asked Baekhyun.

“We’ve been having a DMC,” said Baekhyun, still without taking his eyes off Minhwan.

“Right.”  Jinsu didn’t even bother trying to hide the dubious tone in her voice.  Stretching, Baekhyun got off the chair and joined her at the door.

“According to Minhwan’s calculations, we need to start preparing to land in about fifteen minutes,” he said.  “Wanna help?”

 

It was very odd to walk back onto the main deck and see a couple of adults sitting there, but once Jinsu got over the initial shock, it was reassuring to know that there were actually computer experts on hand, even if the Tardis-virus hybrid system was new to them.  The hybrid system itself seemed to have settled down and could be controlled via the interface it produced instead of having to dive into code the entire time, so all Baekhyun had to do was check the coordinates, time and date from where they’d landed in 1950s Seoul and land them as close to it as possible to after the Attayear had originally left that time.  Once Baekhyun had authorised everything the machine happily went into power-down phase.  He slid an absent arm around Jinsu’s waist, pulling her into his lap as he sat down to watch the Doctor do its stuff.

“It’s weird to think the adults’ll be back,” he mused.  “It’s just been us working out things for so long.”

Jinsu glanced at the two technicians.  “Didn’t Minhwan say it was risky fuel-wise to attempt bringing back more than one person without filling up?”

“He worked out he could do multiple people in one go,” Baekhyun explained.  “If they’d died around the same time, that is, which they had.”

“Neat,” said Jinsu.  “We need to make sure nobody ever gets hold of this technology.”

Baekhyun nodded.  “I don’t know if we should use it on the others before we find Minseok hyung or after.  I don’t know how he’s going to react to it.”

“Can’t we do what Minhwan did with Chanyeol and the rest and use it while we go find people?”

“That is an option.”  Baekhyun sat back in his chair, stretching.  “Oh God.  Hyung’s probably going to give me a lecture on dating you too.”

Jinsu laughed.

 

By the time the Attayear actually touched down, Sehun and Jongdae had dropped the teasing.

“You’re staying here,” Jongdae told Baekhyun firmly when the latter joined them in the atrium, shrugging on his jacket.  “You’re the only one who can actually control the Attayear and now we have enough people on board, you are not putting yourself at risk.  Sorry.”

Baekhyun opened his mouth to protest, but Sehun started shoving him back towards the passage.

“We’ll look after Jinsu and her awesome watch, don’t worry.  The satellites are all on and working and we know which direction we’re heading in.  Don’t fret your pretty little hands.”

Baekhyun looked a bit affronted, but he did at least stay put.

“Also,” said Sehun to Jinsu as they approached the doors, “I wanted to talk to you seriously without him around.”

Jinsu raised her eyebrows.  “Why is everybody so keen on talking to us about each other?”

“Because it’s a shock,” said Sehun simply, stepping out into the foggy air.  He looked carefully around and beckoned the other two out with him.  “The whole of present-day Seoul knows about the hatred between your two families.  Present day as in our present, not the present we’re currently in.”  He edged sideways as Jongdae absently pulled out a wicked-looking hunting knife for protection, having viewed the bow too ostentatious to bring along.  “So.  Why Baekhyun, of all people?”

“It just kind of happened,” Jinsu said, fidgeting with her fingers.  “Honestly, he’s been really, really nice.  I used to think everybody was having me on when they talked about how kind Baekhyun usually is, but now that I’m on the receiving end, I’m convinced.”

“That he’s nice or that everybody’s having you on?” Jongdae asked with a straight face.  Jinsu scowled at him.

“So it’s not just circumstantial because you were the only two people around and yada yada yada?” Sehun questioned.  “I mean, from Baekhyun’s perspective I don’t doubt that he’s turned into a complete sappy wuss when it comes to you because I’ve known him for years and he definitely has it bad, but—”

“I doubt it,” said Jinsu.  “No offence, but I find him much more attractive than you and Jongdae still and you are two of the nicest, best-looking boys I know.”

“Howzat for a backhanded compliment?” asked Jongdae light

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter