Chapter 10

Attayear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun let go of Minju’s hand as they arrived in the school office, but he gave Jinsu a gentle nudge in the direction of the school nurse.  Jinsu saw with some surprise that the woman was sitting next to a terrified-looking Chanyeol.  Standing just a few feet away with his arms folded across his chest, engaged in a heated but barely audible conversation with the headmaster, was her big brother, and he looked absolutely livid.

“Jin!” he exclaimed the second he caught sight of her.  “Who the hell took the splint off your hand?”

“I found her like that,” Sehun said, apparently unphased by the tense atmosphere in the room.  Either he was just that oblivious at reading atmosphere, which Jinsu really wouldn’t have put past him from what she’d seen, or he was leaping on the opportunity to ensure that he and Minju weren’t going to get in any trouble for skipping class – or free period, or whatever it was (Jinsu didn’t know because CompSci and Tech was about the only class she didn’t have with all the regulars) – which she equally wouldn’t have put past him, since he and Minju would both be suspended if anybody found out.  “I actually think she washed it off herself or something because she had it when she left the cafeteria and it looked like parts of it were in the sink.”

Jimin’s expression softened a little and he turned from Sehun back to Jinsu.  The concern in his eyes warmed her, and if there hadn’t been anybody else there, she would have run over to bury her face in his shoulder for a hug.

“Jin,” he said quietly, extending a hand.  Jinsu automatically took a couple of steps forward to take it.  He pulled her into his side and wrapped an arm around her.  “Jin, I thought you said it hadn’t been that bad for years.”

There was no admonition there, no blame, just straight out worry.  Jinsu sniffed, feeling tears pooling at her eyes again.  He ruffled her hair.

“Your uniform’s a mess,” he murmured before his hand caught in the sticky mess of egg.

Jinsu froze, and he froze with her.

“This is egg,” he said, picking at it.  He sounded angry again.

“She was covered in flour when I saw her,” Chanyeol piped up, and Jinsu wanted to smack him round the head.  Jimin was going to blow his cool if he found out what happened.

“Well, her uniform was in shreds when I found her.  There’s mud on the floor of the disabled bathroom and she also mentioned something about a snake,” Sehun chipped in, not to be outdone.

“A snake?” repeated the headmaster, absolutely incredulous.

“Oh, Yoonchul was talking about that,” Minju said suddenly.  “Nobody believed him, of course – he said it was a slow worm and apparently they’re more native to Europe than here.”

Jinsu could actually feel Jimin’s body shaking with rage.

“I suggest you find out who did that if you don’t want to be sued,” he said icily to the headmaster.

Jinsu gripped at his suit jacket with her good hand, shaking her head.  The last thing she wanted was more trouble.  “Oppa, leave it.”

“No!” he snapped.  “I’ve trusted your judgement for a week when I didn’t want to, but this is ridiculous.  You wouldn’t even tell me the name of the person who broke your fingers, and I know you know!”

Chanyeol’s deep voice spoke again.  “That was Yoo Dahee.”

The headmaster looked scandalised.  “Are you both suggesting that it was deliberate?  I was assured by the nurse and by Jinsu’s own report that it had been an accident following one of her classmates not seeing she was on the other side of the door and shutting it too hard.”

“Well, I wasn’t in the classroom at the time,” Chanyeol admitted.  “I only saw her after it had happened, but I think Sehun was there.”

All eyes turned to Sehun and he looked incredibly uncomfortable.  “I-I. . . wasn’t actually in the. . .” he began, but then he swallowed, probably realising that he might well get a tongue-lashing if he admitted that he and Baekhyun had seen what had happened and walked straight past it.

He brushed his hand through his hair and let out a long breath.  “It was Yoo Dahee and Do Minyoung,” he admitted in a small voice.  “I have no idea who was behind the snake, though, and I didn’t actually see who did the eggs and flour, though I was in the cafeteria when it happened.”

He exchanged a glance with Chanyeol that seemed to say zip it or else.

As far as Jinsu was concerned, Byun Baekhyun’s unspoken name hovered like a thick black cloud, but she didn’t dare mention it.  Chanyeol and Sehun had both left out their friend’s involvement and Jinsu suspected she’d only get in trouble if she tried mentioning it.

“I’m taking Jinsu home,” Jimin said.  “Our family will be withdrawing financial support from the school until a favourable solution is reached.  Thanks, Chanyeol.”  He nodded to Sehun, Minju and the nurse and strode out of the room, almost dragging Jinsu with him.  They were nearly halfway down the corridor before Jinsu managed to get him to slow.

“You’re going too fast,” she complained.

He ground to a halt.

“Sorry,” he said.  “I’m just really, really angry right now and I need to get out of here before I run into Byun Baekhyun and break his face.”

“What?”

“Jinsu, I’m not an idiot, and I do actually listen to what you tell me.  I know he’s the one responsible for most of this.”

Jinsu chewed the inside of her cheek.

“It’s because of what happened with Dad at the restaurant, isn’t it?”

Wearily, Jinsu nodded.

“God, I hate him sometimes.”

It was unclear whether he was referring to Baekhyun or their father, but before Jinsu could ask, hurried footsteps echoed down the corridor, along with a bass call of “hyung!  Hyung!”

Jimin turned, and a breathless Chanyeol skidded to a halt by them.

“Here,” he panted, pulling a beanie he hadn’t been wearing in the office off his head and placing it carefully on Jinsu’s, masking the egg.  She eyed him warily, but he ignored it as he kept pace with them when Jimin started walking again.

“Jin, I’ve cleared your locker out for you,” he said, “and salvaged the work I could, but some of the books and paper had been ripped up, so—”

“Why?” Jinsu demanded frostily.

He looked like a kicked puppy, faltering for a second or two before he forged on anyway.  “I rescued your backpack for you too.”  He held it out and Jimin took it from him, effortlessly swinging it up onto one shoulder.  They reached the end of the corridor and Jimin looked down the two possible options, apparently lost.  Jinsu was too busy side-eyeing Chanyeol to direct him, so it was their

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter