Chapter 1

Attayear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“. . . So I’m going to bring her over at the weekend, and I really, really need you to be an awesome little sister and the best wingman that ever exists,” Jimin’s voice said over the phone as Jinsu skirted a puddle on the slabs of stone leading up to the front door.  Jinsu sighed.

“Honest to God, Jimin, with the amount you hang out with Jungkook, we were all beginning to think you were gay.  Mum and Dad are going to be more shocked you’re bringing a girl home than over the fact she was expelled from three different schools years ago and has a minor criminal record.  I really don’t think I need to do anything.”

“But you know what they’re like!” her big brother whined.  Jinsu fumbled for the keys for the front door.  “The time machine’s basically finished and they’re so protective over it – they even thought our cousin Chanyeol was a spy!  Chanyeol!”

“Chanyeol hangs out with the Byun kid at school, Jimin, that’s why they didn’t want him coming round until after the big launch.  Or August.  Or never.”

“Why are you on their side?” her big brother grumped.  “What did Chanyeol ever do to you?”

Jinsu finally got the front door open, but refused to answer the question.  It wasn’t so much what Chanyeol had done as opposed to what he hadn’t.  He hadn’t stuck up for her when they’d started the same high school together and other kids in their class were teasing her about her OCD.  He hadn’t acknowledged that they were cousins.  He hadn’t stopped Byun Baekhyun from being an irrational, irritating idiot towards her – Jinsu wouldn’t have gone as far as to say that Byun Baekhyun was a bully, but he really, really disliked Jinsu and he made it very obvious, and enough people had joined in for Jinsu to find herself the awkward, isolated nerd of the class.  Which was Park Chanyeol’s major failing: he’d done absolutely nothing to rescue her from it.

Jimin coughed awkwardly at the other end of the phone.  “So. . . since we’re on the subject of dating, how’s the gloriously handsome Oh Sehun?  What’s he up to these days?”

“ off, Jimin.”

Her brother snickered.  Jinsu had been shielding a flame for her tall, devastatingly good looking classmate ever since she’d first set eyes on him at the age of twelve, but there were two problems.

One: he was already taken.  Seo Minju was the prettiest girl in the school.

Two: he was Baekhyun’s best friend, and consequently hated Jinsu.  Jinsu would never have imagined that a lawsuit which resulted in a cheating company that tried to steal patents getting punished for their wrongdoing would set her against the popular kids in school, but sometimes life just that way.  Come to that, she wasn’t totally sure how Baekhyun himself had managed to score being one of the popular kids, unless it was by virtue of being associated with Sehun, who had the luxury of being associated with Kim Jongin, who was universally acclaimed as the most popular boy in Gangnam.  Baekhyun was what in other schools would be dubbed the “charity case scholarship kid”, and everybody knew that that earmarked you for the school bullies, especially if your family had gone, like Baekhyun’s, from being pretty well off to destitute within a matter of months.  Granted, it had happened ten whole years ago, but Baekhyun hadn’t even been subjected to the typical rumours of living with rats and eating cockroaches.

Aware that her brother had been babbling to her again, and that she’d been spaced out long enough to reach her bedroom door as she mused over Baekhyun’s ridiculous popularity and Sehun’s ridiculous good looks, Jinsu interrupted Jimin.

“Sorry, what was it you were saying?”

“I put the books I borrowed back on your shelf last night,” Jimin repeated.

Jinsu froze.  “Like, actually back on my shelf, or just in a little pile on the floor near my shelf?”

“On your shelf.  I know you hate things being on the floor.”

Eyes wide with horror, Jinsu whipped around towards the bookcase.  Sure enough, her immaculate shelves were messed up, spines no longer aligned correctly, books not in the pleasing colour-coordinated and hardback-paperback arrangement she’d spent the weekend doing.

“Jimin!” she yelled.  “Now I have to do the entire set of shelves again!  Do you even know how much of Saturday I spent on it?”

“I put them in in alphabetical order – just straighten the spines.”

“It’s not that simple!” Jinsu fumed, her fingers itching.  “You know I have to start all over from the beginning and check every single book is okay.”

Jimin mock-gasped.  “Wait, now you mention it, I’m pretty sure the third Harry Potter book was looking rather unwell.  Better check on it.”

Jinsu was not in the mood to be teased.  She in a deep breath, trying to fight the urge to go over to her desk and grab her ruler so that she could ensure that every book was exactly three millimetres in from the shelf edge.  A lump rose in .

“Jimin, don’t, it’s not funny.  Mum said she’d make me go see a shrink if she finds me rearranging my books one more time.”

“Jin, you spent the entirety of last Thursday evening making sure that everything in the fridge was lined up so the barcodes faced in the same direction and chucking out everything that didn’t have a barcode.  No offence, but there’s obviously a problem there.”

It took a great effort, but Jinsu wrenched her attention away from her shelves so that she could go over to her desk and collect her schoolbag.

“It’s OCD, nothing big,” she grumbled, largely due to habit because it was an issue, but most people didn’t seem to think that OCD was a very serious one.  “Now if you want to buzz off, I need to go to school.”

“Be nice!” Jimin protested, before adding, “have fun oggling your crush in maths and play nice with the other kids, even Chanyeol.  Unless they want to fight – then you can—”

“Question,” Jinsu interrupted him.  “Did you pick up your girlfriend by quoting Mulan at her, or does she not yet know what a ridiculous dork you are?  Because if she doesn’t, she’s going to dump your the second she realises you can recite almost every line of that movie.”

“Girls love that sh*t, Jinsu—”

“No, girls love it when you can play the guitar, knucklehead,” Jinsu sighed.  “What did you say her name was, anyway?  Did you ever actually tell me her name?”

“Park Jimin.”

“Her name.  Her name.”  Jinsu smiled vaguely at one of the maids as she passed.  “I know yours already.”

Jimin snickered.  “No, genuinely, her name is Park Jimin.”

Jinsu waited for him to crack a proper laugh and say what this girl’s real name was, but while his tone was still teasing, he said nothing of the sort.

“Thought your OCD might like it.”

“Oh, dear God,” Jinsu sighed.  “Ji, I know you like to be romantic at times, but ‘other half’ and ‘soul mate’ do not mean ‘female doppelganger’.”

“She even has a little brother called Jinsu.  It’s basically like her family’s a reflection of ours.”

Jinsu didn’t think it was worth replying to that one.  Instead, she opened the front door and stepped back out into the cold, pulling h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter