Chapter 29

Attayear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

***Potentially a double update.  Make sure you've read chapter 28.***

 

Bright lights and electric doors hissing open woke Jinsu up, though that could also have been because Baekhyun more or less dropped her and ducked out from the loose hold her arms had around his neck and her ankle protested at the pain.

“You can get to the sickbay by yourself,” he told her before walking off.  Squinting in the artificial light, Jinsu realised that he’d left her in the atrium of the Attayear.  Propping herself up on the wall, she decided that the sickbay was good advice and began making her way towards it.  It wasn’t far from the atrium and had been purposely put on the ground floor for ease of access, but it still felt like a horrendously long way away when she was completely shattered and barely able to walk.

In the end, she got there.  It might have taken two or three minutes or half an hour, but Jinsu was beyond caring by that point.  She could hear voices inside the room and all she really wanted was to lie down and put ice on her ankle.  If somebody was already in there, so much the better.  Help would come sooner.

The already bad day just got worse when she pushed the door open, however.  Minhwan and three of his friends were standing inside, rooting through medical supplies.

“This is unbelievable,” Jaemin grumbled.  “Why the heck wouldn’t they have contraceptives?  How on earth are we supposed to sleep with people?”

“Reproductive health means medical supplies,” agreed Junho.

“We can’t take the risk of knocking up anyone at the gisaeng house,” Minhwan said, looking through one of the cupboards.  “I know it’s dumb, but I don’t trust the stuff they say they have and I’d really rather not have a kid running around a thousand years in the past because some dopey woman didn’t know what was going on in her own body.”  Failing to find whatever it was he wanted, Minhwan shut the cupboard door and turned.  Jinsu was too late to duck out of the room.

“Ah, perfect timing!”  He prowled across the room in a manner that made Jinsu’s heart begin to race.  The expression in his eyes was identical to Hae Insu’s.  “Jinsu, you must have come prepared, right?  The only girl among so many boys. . . who could resist?”

“No, I—”

The other three followed Minhwan, fanning out to hem her in and force her into the room along the wall.

“Yeah, you could lend us that medication thing all girls have to stop them getting pregnant, right?” piped up Jisung.  “Just four.  That’s all we need.”

There was a scoff from the doorway.  “Are you actually suggesting Jinsu has enough of a life to need the Pill?” Baekhyun demanded.  “Or enough of a life to have a life?  What planet are you from?”

“Baekhyun!” said Minseok’s voice sharply.

The other four boys shot away from Jinsu, trying to pretend they were innocent, while Jinsu huddled into the cloak she was wearing for comfort.  It appeared to be breaking point for Baekhyun, though.

“I’ve done at least six today, hyung, get off my back!” he spat out before turning on his heel and storming off.

Minseok sighed before pointing at the remaining boys.  “You four.  Grounded for tomorrow.  Jino will be along to see you when he gets back in.

“What did we do?” Minhwan protested, eyes wide with fake innocence.

“Intending to go to the gisaeng house,” Minseok said shortly.  “You should be intelligent enough to work out that it’s off-limits.”

“But we’re eighteen and if we use protection—” Jisung tried.

“No.  Out.”

No room left for argument, the boys filed out.  Minseok shut the door behind them and quickly went over to Jinsu, helping her up onto the sickbay bed.

“What happened?” he asked.

Jinsu just shook her head.  She didn’t particularly want to talk about it.  Baekhyun must have filled Minseok in on her visible injuries, though, because he began to inspect her ankle, and once it was elevated and had an ice pack on it, he moved his attention to her hand.

“You’re having a rough time with those fingers,” he murmured.  “Might be better in a cast or something.”

“I keep forgetting I can’t use them.”  It was only a half truth, because most of the time she did remember not to use her right hand, and a fair amount of re-injury was because of other people doing something to that hand, but Minseok still looked worried.

“I’m going to splint it up again and put it in a sling,” he told her.  “That way, you can’t make the mistake again.”

Jinsu nodded, too tired to argue.

“Can I stay here tomorrow?” she requested.  “Not with Minhwan and the rest – I just don’t want to go out.”

After a moment’s thought, Minseok said, “Well, I guess I can give you stuff to do and learn with the computers.”

Jinsu smiled.  “That would be nice.”

“Are you sure?  It’s going to be the last day.”

Jinsu didn’t even want to contemplate another potential run-in with Hae Insu.  She nodded again.

“Okay.”

 

“Is she awake?”

“Do you know what happened?”

“How did she get back?”

“Jongdae said—”

“. . . Chanyeol. . .”

“I heard. . .”

 

Sunlight was streaming in through the porthole in her room when Jinsu woke up the next morning.  She didn’t remember getting back upstairs and reckoned she must have fallen asleep while Minseok was tending to her hand.  Someone had to have carried her.

It took several moments for her to realise her room looked fuller than usual, and a few seconds on top of that for her to realise that it was because a large bouquet of flowers had been left on her desk.  Chocolates had been scattered around the base of the large glass that the flowers were in, and she saw that a piece of paper had been propped up against the makeshift vase.

Wincing as she tried to put pressure on her foot, only to discover that it didn’t hurt anymore, just felt a bit weak, Jinsu got out of bed to take a closer look.

Please tell us when you’re up, somebody had written.  We were scared sh*tless when we managed to escape the shrine and you were gone.  Hope you’re okay.

She didn’t recognise the writing, but it was obvious that it had to be from Jongin, Kyungsoo or Sehun.

There was a soft knock on the door as she set the paper back down.  Jinsu called out to let the person know they could come in.

Chanyeol was there, holding the now-familiar breakfast tray.

“This was outside,” he told her.  “And you have a note.”

Jinsu sat down in the desk chair, motioning for Chanyeol to join her.  He slid the tray onto the desk and gave her the piece of paper that had been on it.

You missed dinner yesterday, so I made you extra, the mystery chef had written.  That was all, but Jinsu was rather touched.

“Do you want to talk about what happened?” Chanyeol asked her, spearing sausage onto a fork and offering it to her.  “Sehun said they got out of the shaman’s shrine and you’d just vanished, and Jongdae said that a group of them found you miles away with some rich ert threatening to kill you when they were out hunting with Han.”

Jinsu let him feed her, but it took a while to summon up the courage to say anything about the previous day.  Chanyeol looked absolutely horrified when she’d finished.  He let her finish her mouthful and then wordlessly enveloped her in a hug.  Jinsu let the comfort wash over her, figuring it was best to leave out the little encounter with Minhwan.  It hadn’t been that bad, she told herself – just more unsettling than it should have been because of what had happened earlier that day.

There was another soft knock and the door creaked open.

“Jinsu?”

Jinsu poked her head over Chanyeol’s shoulder to see Jongdae letting himself into the room.

“Good, Baekhyun didn’t murder you on the way back,” he said, making her s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter