Chapter 9

Truths And Lies

A/N: Surprise! Another update today!

 

The next day was Yesung's turn for battles. He had nine challengers, just below Ryeowook. Kourtney remembered being told that Yesung was one of the stronger members and guessed the day would be a bit...uneventful. And it was. Yesung easily defeated his opponents and remained completely silent during all of it. 

Over her time spent so far at headquarters, Kourtney decided that Yesung was definitely the oddest one in the group, kind of like the black sheep of the herd, which fit becuase of his hair color and choice of clothing. And while he had his quirks, she found him to be extremely likeable. He didn't say a lot, but he was very kind-hearted. Plus, he was very close friends with Ryeowook and Eunhyuk, the other Council members that she liked a lot. 

That night, the second celebration dinner was held, the spotlight being on Henry and Yesung. Once again, Heechul did the toast since both were vampires. Henry seemed to love the attention and was basking in it while Yesung just stayed quiet like usual and just glanced around, occasionaly zoning out. To Kourtney, he seemed almost antsy.

For the celebration, many dance performances were going to be performed and Kourtney couldn't wait to watch them. First up was Eunhyuk, who performed a partner dance with a beautiful girl who had long, wavy, golden blonde hair. The dance was beautiful, the style contemporary mixed with some jazz. 

"Who is she?" Kourtney asked, watching the dance in awe.

Sara chuckled. "She's a pureblood werewolf, like you. Her name's Hyoyeon."

"She'll turn eighteen in a few months." JB continued. "After that, she will have to choose a mate, possibly someone living in the estate."

"Or the Council'll make her mate with you." Jackson smirked.

JB shrugged. "Yeah. Maybe..."

"Personaly, I think she and Eunhyuk look great together." April said, smiling.

N nodded. "True, but it couldn't happen. He's a vampire and she's a werewolf. Plus, she's a pureblood."

"Stupid law forbids it." CAP added. Kourtney noticed him give a quick glance to L.Joe before returning it to the dance on stage.

After their dance, Kala suddenly moaned. N worriedly took her hand.

"What's wrong? Are you feeling sick?" He asked.

Kala nodded. "A little, and my body's starting to ache."

"You need to go back to the hotel and rest." N said. "Let's go."

April stepped up. "Wait, I'll take her." She helped Kala stand up. "You have a dance performance in a few minutes."

N tried to argue. "But-"

"It's fine, sweetie." Kala said. "Let her help me. You go kill your performance." She also added. "And stay and enjoy the celebration for a while afterwards. It won't kill you."

N sighed before giving his mate a quick kiss. "Alright. One hour."

L.Joe walked over. "I'll come, too. Just in case you might need an extra pair of hands."

"Me, too." Saemin said, walking over to Kala. 

"Why are you going?" Jimin asked.

"Cause I feel like it, now hush!"

N gave a knowing smirk. "Thanks, Saemin."

She nodded, giving Yoongi a quick kiss before she, Kala, April, and L.joe left.

Jungkook tilted his head to the side. "Why did Saemin want to go, too?"

"She said 'cause she felt like it." Yoongi shrugged. "Knowing her, she was bored of the party."

"Ooh!" Ken suddenly exclaimed. "N's dance is starting!"

All Kourtney had to say was "Wow." N performed a blindfold dance, dressed in all black. To say it was great was an understatement. When he came back over to the others, he was met with many compliments.

"It's too bad Kala missed it." Kourtney said.

N shrugged. "Not like she hasn't seen me dance before."

Ken and Hyuk both gave a loud "Ooooooooh!" before being chased around the dining hall by their leader, everyone laughing as they watched. Kourtney then heard Baekhyun's breath hitch. She turned to see him staring across the hall with a fearful look on his face. 

"Baekhyun, what is it?" She asked as she followed his gaze. Her expression hardened upon realizing who it was.

Heejoon.

Kourtney and Chen both instinctively moved closer to Baekhyun, who had started shaking. Heejoon was wearing that cocky smirk again and his gaze shifted, landing on Baekhyun. Baekhyun froze as the man stared him down. After a few moments, Heejoon chuckled then looked away. 

"That jerk." Chen snarled.

Kourtney nodded. "I second that." For other reasons, too.

"I..." Baekhyun gulped. "I need to go. Outside."

"Do you want me to come with you?" Kourtney asked.

Baekhyun shook his head. "No, it's fine. I just need to get out of here."

Chen patted his back. "We understand. Go."

Without another word, Baekhyun hurried out of the room. Kourtney scowled.

"Maybe Baekhyun shouldn't come to the celebrations anymore. It's highly likely that Heejoon will be there for all of them."

Chen's expression darkened. "I'd hapily join him." 

Mark cautiously stepped over. "I saw Baekhyun leave. Is he okay?"

"No." Kourtney sighed. "He saw Heejoon."

Mark's face softened in understanding. "I see."

"BamBam! Where you going?" JB called. 

BamBam was making his way out of the room. 

"Out for a run!" He called back. "I'm bored!"

Mark chuckled. "Typical BamBam. So much energy."

Jonghyun, Key, and Minho walked over.

"Yeah, we've got one of those." Minho stated. "Taemin's always in the mood for a run."

"Except for tonight 'cause there's food." Jonghyun said through a mouthfull of food. 

"Don't talk with your mouth full!" Key snapped. "It's rude and barbaric!"

"Last I checked, you aren't my mom!" Jonghyun shot back, spraying a bit of his food onto Key's face. Everyone standing aroud them froze, some of them gasping.

"Uh-oh." Kourtney heard Taemin whisper. "He's gonna get it."

Key sighed, snatched a napkin from a nearby table, and wiped his face. "Forget it, I'm too exhausted to deal with you right now."

Everyone relaxed again and Kourtney walked over to Key as he wearily ran his hand through his hair.

"You okay?" She asked.

Key gave her a tired smile. "Yeah, just didn't get much sleep last night."

"How come?"

"Not sure." Key sighed. "I just couldn't sleep."

Minho looked concerned. "You had a feeling again, didn't you?"

Kourtney tilted her head. "A feeling?"

"Call in instincts." Minho explained. "Usually, Key can tell if something bad's going to happen. Sleepless nights are usually a sign."

Key shrugged. "Not all the time though. Though it did happen the night before that rogue attack in the Clearing."

Kourtney's eyes widened. "Really?"

"Yeah, but I'm sure it's nothing. The rogues would be stupid to attack during the tournament." Key yawned. "I'm going back to the hotel to sleep. See ya."

After Key left, there was another dance performance, this time by Hoseok, Jimin, and Jungkook. The beginning was Jungkook doing a solo while Yoongi played the piano, then the music shifted to a more upbeat tempo and then all three performed a powerful and amazing hip-hop dance. After the dance, Kourtney was over talking to Yongguk's pack when Ryeowook's voice rang across the room.

"Yesung!"

Over at the Council's table, Yesung was kneeling on the floor, clutching his chest. His eyes were wide open, fearful, as he was struggling to breathe. He was also sweating and shaking. Heechul and Ryeowook were both at his side, trying to soothe him. Concerned, Kourtney walked over along with Chen, Lay, and Hana. 

"What's happening?" Kourtney asked.

"Panic attack." Heechul responded.

Kourtney gave a slight gasp as Heechul returned his attention to Yesung.

"Yesung, listen to me. Where do you want to go? Outside? Your room? The library?"

Yesung took a few shaking breaths before responding. "My...room." he gasped. 

Heechul nodded. "Okay, I'll take you there."

Heechul helped Yesung get up, then quietly led him out of the dining hall with Lay to go to his room. Still shocked, Kourtney glanced over at Ryeowook.

"Panic disorder?" She asked.

Ryeowook nodded sadly. "We don't know why, but he's always had attacks since joining the Council."

"We figured something might've happened in his past to trigger it, but..." Eunhyuk didn't finish.

"You didn't ask." Hana nodded.

While Heechul and Lay were helping Yesung, there was one last dance performed for the night. Kai and Hana performed an amazing ballet performance. To Kourtney, all seemed fine and peaceful as she watched, unaware of what was happening at that very moment.

..........

Terrance waited patiently at the hideout for his elite to report to him. While he wasn't extremely nervous, he had some worries, especially with Zico.

He better not screw this up.

At that moment, his phone buzzed and he quikcly picked it up. "Yes?"

"This is Maria, calling to report my mission sucess. Your specific target has been captured."

Terrance smirked. "Excellent."

"She wasn't alone so I captured the others who were with her."

Terrance raised an eyebrow. "Really? Even more better."

Later, Yuto, Darren, and Mystique called his to report their success as well, all having captured their specific targets as well.

"Luck seems to be on our side tonight." Terrance chuckled. "Now all that's left is that mutt."

Soon, his phone buzzed again.

"Yes?"

"This is Zico. Mission was a success. Your intended target has been captured."

Terrance grinned.

"And now the fun begins."