Chapter 8

Truths And Lies

A/N: Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Haven't been feeling well. But now I'm ready to get back into buisness! :)

 

For the rest of the day, Kourtney couldn't stop thinking about what she found out that morning. She now knew what was probably one of the biggest secrets from the Council, that not most of the Council knew, and couldn't tell anyone. She thought it'd be easy at first, but she found that as the day went on, it was taking every inch of her willpower not to tell someone.

She found it especially difficult during Henry's battles. Her gaze would keep going over to where the Council was sitting, as well as Henry's parents and Heejoon. 

Heejoon's the true cruel one, not Heechul. Everyone's been lied to and I can't do anything about it because of the risk to Anya. It's so unfair!

"Hey." Chen's voice interrupted her thoughts. She turned to look at him. "You okay?"

"Uh, yeah. Just fine."

"You sure? You've been spacing out a lot today."

Kourtney did the one thing she never wanted to do to him. She lied.

"I'm just worried about what's going to happen once the tournamnet is over." Well, it wasn't a complete lie. "I don't want to leave the pack."

Chen gave her a reassuring smile. "It'll be fine. I told you, I'll think of something."

Kourtney nodded then returned her attention to the tournament. Henry's battles were finished fairly quikcly, given that there weren't a lot of them and that they were all pretty much average when it came to strength. At least Henry wasn't entierly cruel and seemed to go bit easy on them. After the battles were over, Kourtney decided to go and find Heechul. While she couldn't tell him she knew about Anya, she could confront him about the night he brought her through the portal. 

She sensed him just outisde the staidum and quickly made her way there, but not before she noticed some people off in a corner, Henry, his parents, and Heejoon. From where she was standing, she could clearly hear the conversation.

"I don't know what you were thinking out there, Henry. It was utterly embarrasing." His father's voice sounded cold and harsh.

Henry avoided his gaze. "I'm sorry, father."

"Sorry is no excuse for a poor excuse of a fight! That was less than perfect! Those weaklings were obviously inferior to your strength! You could have taken them all out in one blow!"

"Perfection!" Henry's mother scowled. "That is all we ask for! Yet, you never amount to it! We give you everything! The least you could do is perform perfectly!"

Henry nodded, still avoiding his parents' gazes. "Yes, mother. I understand. I won't disappoint you again."

And with that, his parents and Heejoon left him standing alone. As they left, Kourtney heard Heejoon whisper something.

"I understand what you're going through. Having a son who can't meet your needs, it's so stressful. Just give it some time and he'll pull through."

Kourtney could feel a raging heat inside her, ready to explode. And it just about did when she saw Henry curse and punch the nearby wall before walking off in the opposite direction. At that moment she fully understood him.

Was he a spoiled brat? Yes. Was he a complete jerk, though? No.

He was just a kid with a deep desire to have his parents be proud of him...just like Heechul was.

They said they give him everything, but that was a lie. There's one thing that they haven't given him.

Love.

..........

Saemin sighed as she tiredly went to the bathroom for what seemed like the hundrenth time that day. 

"This ." She muttered under her breath.

This morning, she had had a serious case of morning sickness and, not wanting to arouse suspicion to her fellow clan members, pretended it was a flu instead. Now, she was stuck in the hotel room, feigning being sick while the others, including her mate, went out for dinner. 

"I know we agreed not to tell anyone, but..." Saemin sighed again. "I'm losing it here. I don't know what the heck I'm doing."

Then a lightbulb went on in her head.

"But I know someone who does."

She quickly made her way a few doors down before reaching her destination. She quickly knocked and the door just as quickly swung open. 

"Oh, Saemin." N smiled. "Come on in." 

Saemin shook her head. "It's fine. Actually, I was wondering if I could...talk to Kala? Is she here?"

"I am." Kala appeared beside her mate, smiling. "What is it sweetie?"

Saemin took a deep breath. "I'd like to speak with you in private...if that's okay."

Kala nodded. "Of course." She stepped outside the room and N shut the door.

Saemin led Kala back to her clan's hotel room. When the door was shut, she quickly spun around.

"I need your help." Saemin said in desperation.

Kala seemed confused. "With what?"

Saemin bit her lower lip before speaking. "I'm...pregant."

Kala's eyes widened then she smiled and pulled Saemin into a hug. "Congratulations."

"Yeah...so you can see what I need help for."

Kala laughed. "Of course."

Saemin smiled. "Only Yoongi and Lay know, and now you. We'd like to keep it secret so we can surprsie everyone later."

"My lips are sealed." Kala chuckled. "After I tell N. He's pretty good at figuring this stuff out and it won't take him long to figure out why you needed to talk to me."

Saemin nodded. "Of course. As long as he promises to keep it secret, too. And I'll help you, too. Since we're both on the same boat, we should help each other out."

Kala smiled. "I completely agree."

..........

Later that night at the rogue hideout, Terrance called the rogues all together in the main room. 

"The time has come." He announced. 

The rogues all cheered before Terrance silenced them.

"Tomorrow night, we'll make our move. The second celebration dinner will be held and it'll be the prefect time to attack."

"What would you like us to do sir?" A rogue asked.

"For now, only a select few will move. After the tournament, we'll make our final move." Terrance pulled out some small sheets of paper. "Here, I have specific targets I would love to see get captured. It has their picture as well as their information. However, given that the opportunity might not arise, it is completely fine if you bring in someone else. Yuto."

A large, muscular werewolf stepped forward with a sadistic grin on his face. Terrance handed him a slip of paper.

"This is your target. However, if needs arise, anyone from his pack will do."

Yuto's grin widened, looking more twisted as he looked at the paper. "What a cute face. This'll be fun."

"Maria." 

A small vampire girl glided forward, her expression emotionless as she took the paper from Terrance.

"Should be an easy target, given her current condition." Terrance said.

Maria nodded. "I will not fail you, sir."

"Next...Darren."

Darren smirked as he walked over to take the paper.

"Pretty sure you can already guess who your target is."

Darren glanced at the paper, giving a satisfied laugh. "Finally, payback time!"

"Mystique."

Mystique stepped out of the shadows and over to Terrance. He handed her the paper.

"Here you are."

Mystique's eyes widened as she looked at the paper. 

"I figured, given his background, he'd be a good prisoner...maybe even possibly a future ally." Terrance stated.

Mystique quickly hid her shock and bowed to Terrance. "It will be done."

"And last but not least...Zico."

Jiho, or Zico as the rogues now called him, stepped forward, taking the last sheet of paper.

"Please do everything you can to not fail me in this. He is the special one, after all."

Zico glanced at the paper, then gasped. "Him? You want me to capture him?"

Terrance chuckled. "Why, of course. Given his talent, I'm pretty sure the Council would hate to lose him, wouldn't you agree?"

Jiho felt all of his confidence disappear. How was he supposed to capture him?

Terrance clapped his hands together. "Well, that's all! Tomorrow night, we'll make our first move! After that, the fun begins!" And with that, he dismissed everyone.

Later, in her room, Mystique couldn't stop staring the paper, at the picture of her target on it.

"Of everyone from the pack, why'd it have to be you?" She whispered to herself. "Why you?"

She ran a finger across the picture.

"Baek."