Chapter 12

Truths And Lies

"Yumi?" Baekhyun slowly stood up, still unable to believe what he was seeing. "Is that really you?"

Yumi nodded. "It's me, Baek."

Baekhyun slowly approached her, reaching out to cup her face. He expected her to be an illusion, a projection. But she wasn't. She was there, and the instinct inside of him overtook him for a moment. 

He kissed her.

After a few moments, he pulled away.

"Just..." He stepped back, running a hand through his hair. "I need you to tell me one thing."

"Anything. What is it?"

Baekhyun took a deep breath before he spoke. "That night, in the Clearing. When the rouges attacked and the barrier went down..."

Her face held sadness and regret and Baekhyun didn't need to ask further.

"Yes." Yumi's voice shook. "That night, I made an opening in the barrier so the rogues could get through."

"But why? Why would you-"

"Because I had no choice!" Yumi began to pace the cell. "If I hadn't done it, then my cover would have been blown! The mission would fail!"

"I almost died! And Chen and Tao were poisoned with Howlion!"

"I had no choice, Baek! No choice!"

Baekhyun's hands curled into fists. "You could have come back! You didn't have to complete the mission! It was doomed from the start anyway!"

Realization dawned on Yumi's face. "Kris didn't tell you?"

Baekhyun tilted his head to the side. "Tell me what?"

Tears started to form in Yumi's eyes. "Baek...I didn't have a choice."

Baekhyun's eyes widened as he suddenly realized what she meant.

"The Alpha's Command?" Baekhyun whispered.

Yumi nodded. "Before I left...Kris commanded me to do whatever it takes to succeed. Whatever it takes." A few tears fell. "I didn't want to hurt you! I would have refused and returned to you, but the power held me back!"

Baekhyun's face softened and he pulled Yumi into an embrace. She cried into his shoulder. 

"I'm so sorry! I'ms so sorry Baek!" Yumi's grip on him tightened. "If you had died, I don't know what I would have done!"

"Shhh." Baekhyun calmed her. "It's alright. What matters is we're together now." He ran his figners through her hair. "I don't know what's going to happen...but for now all I need is you here with me."

Yumi nodded, leaning in to kiss him. "Me, too."

..........

The day after Terrance's threat arose, Kourtney had all the packs and clans gather together in secret to come up with a plan to rescue the others. She was surprised when many showed up. Aside from the groups with captured members, Yongguk's pack, Doojoon's clan, Victoria's pack, and CL's clan also arrived to help. 

"Thank you all for coming." Kris said. "It's very much appreciated."

"Of course we'd come." Victoria said. "Even if we are not a part of their packs or clans, we're all family. And as you all know, Onew's pack in particular is very close to mine." She turned to her pack, giving each member a glance. 

Kourtney noticed that Victoria held her look with Amber longer than the others, the latter looking very worried and troubled. Victoria then shifted her gaze to Onew's pack.

"We will do whatever we can to help rescue Key and the others."

Onew gave her a gracious look, which she nodded in reply.

"Then let's all put our heads together." JB spoke. "If anyone's got ideas, now's the time to talk."

"Actually..." Kourtney stepped forward. "I think I might have one."

"But we'd have to wait until the deadline. Until the end of the tournament."

..........

"Are we really going to do nothing?!" Eunhyuk stormed into the library.

Heechul huffed. "You heard me, we needn't do anything because a pureblood's life isn't at risk."

"But others' lives are! Yesung's is!" Eunhyuk gripped the collar of Heechul's shirt, anger and hate in his eyes. "He trusts you! He loves you like a brother! How can you betray him like this?!"

"I never cared for him." Heechul snarled. "I only made him think I did. You know, orignially, I had thought of replacing Ryeowook with Rocco...but I guess he'll just fill Yesung's spot."

Eyunhyuk slowly let go, stepping back. He shook his head. "I can't believe you. Are you really that heartless?"

Heechul turned away. "Leave! And I don't want to hear anymore about this issue!"

Eyes filling with ears, Eunhyuk ran out of the library, slamming the door shut. Heechul clenched his fists, tears also threatening to fall as well. 

I'm so sorry, Yesung. Please forgive me.

I can't risk Anya's safety.

..........

"You're crazy." Chen said, pacing the hotel room. "That's what this plan is. Crazy."

After Kourtney had told everyone her plan, everyone dispersed back to their hotel rooms. Now Kris's pack was in Kris and Sara's room, debating said plan.

"Chen, it isn't crazy. It'll work." Kourtney folded her arms. "It has to."

"Risking your life like that is crazy!" Chen snapped.

"You risked your life to save mine!" Kourtney snapped back. "Onew's pack, JB's pack, and N's clan risked their lives to help us! Everyone can risk their lives but I can't?"

"The Council wouldn't allow it." Kris sighed. "You may be willing to risk your life, but they're not."

"It isn't that risky! I've been practicing! I've gotten stonger, my magic's gotten stronger!" Kourtney argued. "With the spell, i could-"

"No!" Chen shook his head. "We can't risk your life!"

"So we're just going to let Baekhyun die?!" Kourtney's voice broke. "Key, BamBam, Kala, Saemin, April, L.Joe, Yesung...I can't let them die!"

She turned to Kris.

"Please, Kris..."

Kris gave her an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, Kourtney. Chen's right, it's too risky. The Council wouldn't approve of it."

Kourtney wished so bad at that moment that she could tell them about the truth, how Heechul was being used by his father. But she couldn't. She'd promised and Anya's life was at risk.

But so were her friends.

"Okay...if it's too risky, help me figure out a way to make it less risky."

"Actually..." Tao stepped forward. "I think I can help."

"Tao, what it is?" Kris questioned.

Tao held up his hand and everyone except him and Kourtney froze.

"How much time do you need for the plan?" He asked.

Kourtney shrugged. "I don't know...maybe six, seven minutes? Eight at most."

Tao smirked. "I can give you ten."