Chapter 13

Truths And Lies

Kourtney was able to convice the Council to meet with her and the others later after the day's battles were over. Kyuhyun was the participant, easily defeating his opponents like the ones who went before him. After it was finished, everyone met inside the dining hall to disuss Kourtney's plan. Heechul and Leeteuk stepped forward.

"Alright, we're all listening." Leeteuk said. "What's your plan?"

Kourtney took a deep breath before she spoke.

"I've been studying magic since the time I found out I was a pureblood. I've greatly improved since then and I'm confident in my power to do this." She gave Chen a quick glance. "Using magic, I can completely hide the presence of a few others...and I think choosing Kai and Tao would be the best."

"And why is that?" Heechul asked.

"Kai has the power of teleportation and Tao of time. Once Terrance contacts us again, you guys'll agree to hand me over. And we can pretty much assume that wherever they're going to take me is where the others are."

"And what makes you sure about that?" Sungmin asked.

"You're the Council, you should know that the number of rogue hideouts is small." Kourtney explained. "Kris told this to me, that there are very few hideouts in the entire world. Whichever one they're at right now is the one where the others are being held, and it's the one that they'll take me to. But if you're still not convinced, I can pursuade Terrance to take me to the hideout where they are."

"And when they take you, you'll hide Kai and Tao's presence so they can follow you to the hideout?" Leeteuk said.

Kourtney nodded. "I can do the spell within a one mile radius, so they'll be able to follow without being sensed. Once inisde, Tao will freeze time for ten minutes, giving us a chance to find and bring together everyone that was captured. Once they're all gathered together, Kai will teleport us outside the hideout...where GD will be waiting with a group of attackers."

"GD?" Heechul seemed sceptical. "And why would he help us? The Elders rarely involve themselves in any happenings."

"My parents saved his life in the past." Kourtney said. "As such, he's promised to help me whenever I need it. He can do the spell, too. He'll hide a larger group of attackers and once the coast is clear...they'll bring the hideout down."

"And who will be in the group?" Leeteuk asked.

"N and Yoongi, of course." Kourtney stated. "Anyone else really could go. GD told me he'd be able to hide up to ten people, so we'll deicde over the course of the week." She sighed. "The big downside to this plan is that we have to wait until the end of the tournament, since we don't know where Terrance is."

"In which time some of the captives could be..." Eunhyuk looked distressed.

Kourtney nodded. "Well, that's the best I could come up with." She glanced at Heechul. "So? What do you think?"

Heechul turned his gaze to Kai and Tao. "You two are confident you can do this?"

The both nodded. "Yes, sir." Kai said. "Even teleporting that many people, I can get them outside the hideout before the others attack."

"And the ten minutes is no problem." Tao added. "I've done it before."

Heechul nodded. "I'm not...entirely sure right now but give me the night to think it over. Tomorrow, I'll decide whether or not to allow it."

..........

Kourtney took a deep breath. "Glad that's over."

Chen rubbed her back reassuringly. The two had snuck off to meet in the forest again.

"I'm sure Heechul will allow the plan to happen. There's realy not much room for error in it."

Kourtney layed her head on Chen's shoulder. "I just hate that we'll have to wait. By then..."

"Hey, it'll be fine." Chen said.

Kourtney shook her head. "I'm not entirely sure. Even if we do rescue them...we don't even know what those rogues are...doing to them. We don't know how they'll be effected by this."

Chen stayed quiet, unsure of what to say.

"I just can't fight away this feeling that we're...going to lose someone." Kourtney closed her eyes.

"And I couldn't bear it being anyone of them."

..........

Terrance tapped his foot impatiently. He had called for his elite to meet in the main hall, but only Maria, Darren, and Mystique had arrived. Yuto and Zico still hadn't shown up. After a few more minutes, he was about to send Marai to go get them when the doors swung open and Zico walked in.

"You're late." Terrance snapped. "I called for you about twenty minutes ago."

Zico shrugged. "You never gave a specific time, sir. You just said meet in the main hall."

Terrance held up a finger, about the snap back, then paused. "Hm. You're right. I guess I didn't specify that." He turend to Maria. "Go and fetch Yuto, will you?"

With a slight nod, Maria left the main hall. After a few minutes, she re-entered with Yuto behind her.

"Good." Terrance clapped his hands together. "Now everyone's here."

"What's this about, sir?" Yuto asked.

"As you are aware, I have promised to return the captives should the Council hand over a pureblood. And I'm sure you all know by now that I always keep my word." Terrance glanced over at Darren. "I just want to make sure you know that all of the captives must be kept alive until the deadline. All of them."

Darren nodded. "You needn't worry. I have no desire to kill that mutt so quickly. I want him to suffer for what he did." He smirked. "Killing him would be too kind."

"And Yuto, I understand that you are using Howlion, yes?"

"Yes, sir." Yuto replied. "But I do have the cure, so you needn't worry about it killing him."

"I see."

Terrance paused for a second before continuing.

"I just want you all to be aware of my wishes." Terrance's expression then turned cold. "And if any of you kill a captive before the deadline...well, you'll wish you hadn't. Are we clear?"

"Yes, sir." They chorused.

"Good. Dismissed."

..........

At Headquarters, Kourtney was on her way back to the guest room, pretty certain that she would get no sleep that night. As she made her way down the hallway, she suddenly sensed someone running after her.

"Kourtney!"

She turned around to find it was Amber, who quickly ran up to her.

"Good, I was able to catch you." She took a few deep breaths. "I was actually wondering if you could do me a favor...if the plan is lit that is."

Kourtney nodded. "Sure. What is it?"

Amber seemed unsure for a moment, nervously rubbing her hands together. Finally, she reached into her coat and pulled out something. Kourtney recognized it immediately. It was Key's black and gold headband that he always wore.

"That's..."

Amber nodded. "I found it outside the hotel...where he was attacked."

"He really loves that headband." Kourtney remembered. "I asked him about it once and he said that it was a gift."

"Yeah." Amber gave a small smile. "A birthday gift...from me."

Kourtney froze, unsure of what to say. After a few moments, Amber held the headband out to her.

"If the plan is green lit, I want you to give this back to Key once you rescue him."

Kourtney about reached out to grab it, then stopped.

"I think you should be the one to give it back, Amber." Kourtney smiled. "You're the one who gave it to him, after all."

Amber nodded. "Yeah, I guess you're right." She looked down at the headband and after a few moments her body began to tremble.

When she looked up, there were tears forming in her eyes.

"I...I can't lose him."

Kourtney pulled her into a hug, trying her best to comfort her as she began to sob into her shoulder.

"Please...please save him."

"I will." Kourtney promised.

After Amber calmed down, she pulled away.

"Thanks. I needed that."

Kourtney nodded. "Anytime." Amber turned around and began to leave. "Hey, Amber!" She stopped. "You love him, don't you?"

Amber looked back, giving a slight smile, before walking off.

Kourtney smiled as she recalled the day Key told her about the headband.

 

"You wear that headband a lot, where'd you get it?"

"It was a gift...from, uh...a friend."

"A friend?"

"Yeah...she...gave it to me as a brithday gift two years ago."

"She?"

Key slightly blushed and looked away, causing Kourtney to giggle.

"You like her don't you?"

Key scoffed. "Like her? I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't try to deny it." She teased. "You're in looooooooove."

"I am not!" His blush only deppened. "I just..."

"I care about her, is all."

 

Kourtney chuckled at the memory, amused at the fact that they kept their love hidden for so long. Just like with Seohyeon and Taemin, she'd have to be the one to give them a little push.

She also felt this new, growing feeling to rescue Key and the others. She had wanted to rescue them before, yes. But now that feeling was increased tenfold.

She would do whatever it takes to rescue them.

Whatever it takes.