Chapter 7

Truths And Lies

Very early the next morning, Kourtney quietly snuck out of the guest room and made her way to the library. Through her senses, she could tell that everyone was still asleep, minus Leeteuk and Hyeon. Upon entering the library, she found them both sitting at a table, worry and fear in their eyes. She walked over to them and Leeteuk motioned to the seat across from him.

"Please sit." He said.

Kourtney hesitantely sat down, eyeing the library door cautiously.

"You don't need to worry." Hyeon said. "Everyone is asleep and won't hear a word. In fact, they should all stay asleep for another three hours or so."

Kourtney gave her a suspicious look. "What do you mean?"

"Sleeping potion." Hyeon asnwered. "Had it from a while ago, from a healer I know. I slipped it into drinks that I gave them last night during my usual routine."

"Plus, today is Henry's day of the tournament." Leeteuk added. "Heejoon is very close to the boy's family and spent the night there. He also plans to spend the day there as well, until Henry's battles in the afternoon."

"It's not until the afternoon?" Kourtney asked. "Why?"

"Because Henry only has four challengers." Leeteuk replied. "So, with everyone asleep and Heejoon out of the bulding and away from hearing..."

Hyeon sighed. "It's still risky, us telling you this, but...at least this way, no one else will find out. And Heechul can't know that you know." She looked away. "He doesn't even know that I do."

"He only things Leeteuk knows?" Kourtney guessed.

Leeteuk nodded. "Because he only told me." His expression saddened. "I've betrayed his trust. I promised him I wouldn't tell anyone. But I told Hyeon and now...we're here to tell you."

Kourtney stayed silent, waiting for him to start explaining.

Leeteuk thought for a moment before he spoke. "I suppose I'll start at the beginning."

"Heechul was born into a normal, everyday life for a vampire. He had an older brother, whom his father adored. And while his mother did love both children, she gave more love to Heechul, since Heejoon did not. But it was never enough for Heechul. He wanted his father's love. He wanted his father to be proud of him. He did anything he could to get his father's attention. Nothing seemed to work, though. See, while Heechul did prove himself to be strong and powerful, there was one thing he had that his father hated."

Kourtney glanced to Hyeon warily. "And what was that?"

"Compassion. Sympathy." Hyeon sighed. "Understanding."

Kourtney scoffed. "Compassion? Heechul? No way! At least, not to me! When I first met him, he insulted my friends!"

"Please just...listen to the rest of the story." Leeteuk said. When Kourtney nodded in agreement, he continued.

"When Heechul turned eleven, his family moved into the pureblood estate. Being a family with almost pure vampire blood, they were welcome with open arms. Heejoon had a pureblood he admired, a werewolf to be exact. He and his mate studied magic, and while some purebloods couldn't exel far in it, these two could. Heejoon admired that and wanted to befriend the man, probably more for him than anything else."

Kourtney nodded. "That I can believe."

Leeteuk continued. "Taking advantage of Heechul's want to impress him, Heejoon made Heechul start working as a servant for the man and his mate."

Kourtney blinked. "Wait, what?"

"Heechul worked as a servant in the pureblood estate, yes." Hyeon chuckled. "I coudln't believe it myself when Leeteuk told me."

"The two he served..."Kourtney felt the gears turning in her head. "Did they have children?"

"Not when he started serving them, no." Leeteuk answered. "But about a month later, they were expecting a baby."

"Does he know if they had a student? Someone they were teaching magic?"

Hyeon's eyes widened. "How did you know that?"

Kourtney paled as realizatoin hit her. She stood up, starting to pace the floor.

"No, no, no, no, no." She mubled. "This can't be right."

Leeteuk watched her, worried. "What is it, Kourtney? Tell us."

"Just..."Kourtney held up a finger." Let me ask this...did anyone else in the estate study magic? Or was it just them?"

"According to Heechul...the purebloods he served were the only ones trained in magic."

"Did he tell you their family name?"

"No, he didn't give that piece of informaton." Leeteuk looked concerned now.

Kourtney stopped, memories of the day she was awakened running through her head.

The story GD told her of what happened the night her parents were killed.

Your parents put their trust in a servant...a young, eleven year old vampire boy who had started serving them by command of his father.

The boy risked his life to get you to the portal. Your parents put their trust in him and it was not wasted. He got through the portal, carrying you, and placed you on the front steps of the nearest house.

While I didn't personally know him, I knew his parents, as well as his older brother.

"I know the family name." Kourtney whispered, her breath catching in .

"You do?" Hyeon went to her side. "What is it."

Kourtney took a deep breath before she asnwered.

"Dal." 

Leeteuk and Hyeon's eyes widened as they pieced it together. 

"You mean...?" Leeteuk didn't finish.

Kourtney nodded. "Yeah. GD told me about my parents. About the night they were killed. It all fits." She still couldn't believe it even as she said it.

"Heechul was the eleven year old boy that saved me that night."

..........

After they had calmed down from the current discovery, Leeteuk continued with the story.

"Heechul's family all had survived the raid that night then went on to living their regular lives again. A few years later, however, there was an attack on their house. A rogue attack. And they were all half-bloods."

"So that's why he hates them?"

Leeteuk shook his head. "Heechul doesn't hate half-bloods. His father does."

"During the rogue attack, both Heechuls mother and his older brother were killed. It was no secret to Heechul that Heejoon whised he had died in place of his brother. After that, Heechul stopped trying to please him. When Heechul was eighteen, he met a girl. Not long after he met the two fell in love. They had many opportunities to mate, but decided it was best to wait to get Heejoon's blessing before it happened. However...he did not approve and would never approve."

"Why?" Kourtney asked.

Hyeon sighed. "The girl was a half-blood."

Kourtney's eyes widened. "A half-blood?" Hyeon nodded. "But that doesn't make any sense! Heechul hates half-bloods! He said he didn't care if Chen died and he acted cruely towards April!"

"Did you not hear what I just said?" Leeteuk questioned. "Heechul doesn't hate half-bloods. Heejoon is the one who does."

"Once he learned that she was a half-blood, he forbid them from seeing each other. But love knows no boundaries and the two met up again on the night of a full moon, intent on mating and running away. Unfortunately, Heejoon expected this and stopped them before the ritual could be completed. After that, he locked her away."

"Locked her away? Where?"

"No one knows. Only Heejoon and his followers do." Leeteuk leaned forward in his seat. "Hyeon told me you saw the picture?"

"You mean Anya?" Kourtney pieced it together. "So she's the girl Heechul was in love with?"

"Is still in love with." Leeteuk corrected. "To this day, Heejoon still has Anya locked up, the location unknown. By holding her, he has full control over Heechul. If he tells Heechul to beat up someone, he must. If he tells Heechul to act like an arrogant jerk, he must." He sighed. "If he tells Heechul to act cruel to those deemed unproper, then he must."

Kourtney gaped as realization hit her. "It was all an act that day?"

Hyeon nodded. "Yes. While Heejoon wasn't there to make sure Heechul did as he said, like mentioned before, he has followers. Ones who are sometimes given orders to follow him around. Spies. Knowing that, Heechul had to put on an act."

Leeteuk continued. "Anya's location is unknown...as well as her condition. Heechul knows that she could be dead, that his father could be lying that she's still alive, but he can't take that risk. He won't take that risk."

Kourtney nodded. "Because he loves her."

"Yes, and everything we just revleaed to you needs to stay between us. If Heejoon were to find out that we know...we'd not only suffer, but Heechul would as well. "Leeteuk gave her a serious look. "You must keep this quiet...no matter what happens."

 

A/N: Finally! The truth is revealed! Let me know your thoughts!