Chapter 5: Little Accident

100 Cranes of Hope

When every other people would look forward to weekends, he did not. Weekends were like a torture to him. Not that he didn't like the idea of resting, because honestly, he didn't like work that much either. What he didn't like about weekends was the very reason why most people look forward to them. Family time.

 

He would've loved spending time with his family, if he felt belonged. The problem is he didn't feel so.

 

"Oh, Soohyuk!" His mom beamed at him when she saw him entering the kitchen. "You're awake already?" She put down a bowl of soup on the dining table.

 

Soohyuk silently nodded and sauntered to the fridge. He took out a milk carton from the fridge and a glass from the cupboard above before pulling a chair, which was tucked under the dining table, to sit down.

 

"Can I just eat first?" He asked his mom as he poured the milk to his glass.

 

"Soohyuk," his mom sighed, setting down some side dishes, "you know the family rule. If everyone is present, we-"

 

"Eat together," he finished his mom's sentence and downed the milk. "I know," he added, wiping the corner of his lips with the back of his hand.

 

Though he didn't feel like he belong in the family, deep down he was grateful that at least he still had his mother. He would've abandoned the family and started everything anew by himself if it weren't for her. Soohyuk brushed away his thought and picked up the newspaper on the table.

 

His mom just let out an inaudible sigh and gave out a small smile. She thought he would eventually accepted the man she married, but she could see now that she was wrong. Every day when she saw her son, she wondered whether she made the right decision at all. 

 

At least he stayed. She told herself.

 

"Morning, Mom!" Another deep voice greeted and a set of arms encircled her shoulders, hugging her from the back. A second later, a pair of lips gave her a peck on the cheek. She looked to her side and found her son's head propped on her shoulder.

 

Soohyuk rolled his eyes at the sight of his brother. Well, half brother.

 

"Morning, Chanyeol!" She greeted the boy, whose eyes were still half opened, with a peck to the side of his head. She chuckled at how sleepy the boy still looked. 

 

If she often doubted her decision when she saw Soohyuk, she was assured that she made the right decision when she saw Chanyeol. She assured herself that her eldest son just needed a bit more time. 

 

"You're still sleepy, huh?" She asked while he still backhugged her. He lazily nodded in response. "But, Yeol dear, you need to release me. I need to prepare the rice."

 

"Just a few more minutes, Mom," Chanyeol replied, snuggling his head on the crook of her neck.

 

"Ya," Soohyuk called out, lowering the news paper, "Are you still a kid? Let Mom do what she has to do."

 

Chanyeol lifted his head when he heard his brother's voice, and his eyes glinted with playfulness, all drowsiness gone.

 

"Why? Are you jealous, Hyung?"

 

"Jealous?" Soohyuk scoffed to the side. "You wish, kid!" He averted his gaze back to the newspaper.

 

"Don't be jealous!" Chanyeol's voice was suddenly very near that Soohyuk could feel his brother's breath tickling his ears. "Here, let me hug you too hyung!" Chanyeol immediately back-hugged him before he could even protest.

 

"Ya! Let me go!" Soohyuk protested trying to pry his arms off, but Chanyeol only hugged him tighter and even swayed him from side to side on his seat. "This punk!" 

 

Even with arms locked in his brother's hug, Soohyuk managed to roll the news paper. He then tried to hit Chanyeol's head with it, but in their position, Chanyeol easily dodged it.

 

"Miss me!" He taunted and laughed.

 

Their mom only giggled at the sight of her sons' childish banter while she scooped some rice from the rice cooker to the smaller bowls. 

 

"Really, this kid!" He tried to hit him again, but still to no avail. He sounded irritated, but a little chuckle escaped his mouth.  

 

On second thought, maybe his mom wasn't the only reason he didn't already leave. His brother was another reason, no matter how annoying he was.

 

"Aren't you going to let me go already?" He tried to shake off his brother.

 

Still chuckling, Chanyeol finally relented and took a seat beside Soohyuk. 

 

"Grow up!" Soohyuk playfully reprimanded him and hit him with the rolled news paper.

 

"Ouch! Hyung~!" Chanyeol protested rubbing his head and his brother just laughed.

 

"What's all this ruckus in the morning?" Another chuckle interrupted.

 

"Oh! You're finally awake!" Their mother said. "Come sit down, honey. I'll serve the rice in a minute."

 

Mr. Park nodded and took the seat on the head of the table beside Soohyuk.

 

Soohyuk's face was immediately ripped of any smile and he fell silent. He unrolled the news paper and averted his attention back on it. 

 

This didn't go unnoticed by Chanyeol and he inwardly sighed. He was used to the sudden tension emitted by his brother whenever their- his - father appeared. Yet, he wished his brother could see the love and care that his father actually had for him. Chanyeol sometimes even felt that his father loved Soohyuk more than he did him despite the fact the he's the biological son.

 

"Morning, Dad!" Chanyeol greeted with his cheeky grin.

 

"Morning," his dad replied shortly and turned to Soohyuk. "Ah! Soohyuk, before I forget, you remember my friend from yesterday, right? You will need to have a meeting with him on Monday."

 

Soohyuk just nodded. "Yes, Chairman."

 

Mr. Park felt his heart tightened at the way he addressed him, but he managed to give a small smile. 

 

"Okay! Let's eat!" Mrs. Park exclaimed after she gave them each a bowl of rice.

 

They ate together with Chanyeol constantly throwing some jokes here and there. But Soohyuk didn't really laugh much. So Chanyeol was the one who did most of the talking. He told them about the song he was working on and about the kids at the orphanage.

 

"Oh! By the way, Dad. Miss Moon invited you to come for House of Hope's anniversary tomorrow. Unfortunately, I can't come."

 

"Tomorrow? Hmm. I don't think I can come either. Ah!" Mr. Park snapped his fingers and turned to Soohyuk. "You don't have anything to do right, Hyuk? Why don't you go? You have never visited House of Hope yet right?"

 

"A-ah. Yes. But-"

 

"Yeah, hyung! You should visit the orphanage. I'm pretty sure the kids will love you," Chanyeol butted in.

 

"Uh, yeah. But I'm not good with kids," Soohyuk pointed out.

 

Mr. Park laughed. "You don't have to play with the kids if you don't want to. Just come visit as the company's representative. We are their biggest sponsor after all. It's part of our company's social responsibility."

 

Soohyuk pursed his lips and let out a sigh. "Yes, Chairman."

 

"Speaking of social responsibility, you will talk about it with my friend. He proposed a new project for our CSR. So that's pretty much what the meeting will be about."

 

"Which friend is this, honey?" Mrs. Park asked.

 

Mr. Park smiled widely before answering, "Kihyun."

 

His wife's eyes rounded in surprise. "Kihyun-ie?" She excitedly asked for confirmation.

 

"Yes."

 

"Waaa," she clapped her hands and Chanyeol chuckled at his mom.

 

"You know him, Mom?" Chanyeol asked.

 

"Of course! He's your dad's best friend along with-" she stopped when her eyes landed on Soohyuk. She then cleared . "Anyway," she turned back to her husband, "how are his kids? He has a daughter right? Why don't we introduce her to Soohyuk?"

 

"Mom," Soohyuk sighed. He noticed how his brother was trying to hide his chuckle so he nudged him.

 

"Oh, right he does! Actually, I think he will bring her along to the meeting on Monday." Mr. Park smiled.

 

"That's good then! You should introduce them to each other."

 

"Mom. Please. Don't." Soohyuk rubbed his temple.

 

"Eyy. Why not, hyung? You're already at the age to have a wife, you know? Who knows she might be the one for you!" Chanyeol wiggled his eyebrows.

 

"Shut it, kid!" Soohyuk kicked his shin making Chanyeol winced. He then stood up. "I'm done eating. Please excuse me. I'm going to my room." He bowed his head and walked out of the dining room.

 

"He's embarassed," Chanyeol commented over a chuckle.

 

"Where are you going tomorrow anyway?" His dad asked.

 

"Krystal has a recording tomorrow. I have to be there, of course."

 

"Ooh~," his mom added playfully. "And I wonder how are you two doing? Any progress? Your brother is in the age to marry, but you're also in the age to date."

 

"Mom!" This time Chanyeol was the one who complained. "We're not like that, okay? We're just friends and co-workers. That's all! Full stop!"

 

"Okay. Okay. Alright," his mom giggled.

 

"I-I'm done eating too. I'll be in my room then."

 

"Aigoo," his mom mused as she watched him went upstairs to his room and his dad just chuckled along.

 


 

Ugh! I should've just said I got something to do today. Why did I kept my mouth shut yesterday? Soohyuk kept on asking himself.

 

"We're here, sir." His driver opened the door and he deeply sighed before stepping out of the car.

 

He walked to the front porch of the house where he was met by a girl midway. 

 

"Omo!" She exclaimed excitedly. "You must be Chanyeol's brother."

 

"Ah. Yes," he bobbed his head and gave out a small smile out of courtesy.

 

"Come in! Come in!" She pulled him by his arm and he was a bit taken aback, but followed anyway. "You come pretty early, you know? The event will be held at the field outside. Miss Moon is there too." The girl informed cheerily still pulling him.

 

"O-oh. But excuse me," he stopped them in their steps, "I need to go to the toilet first."

 

"Oh! Sure!" She finally let him go. "Just turn right and go down the hall. It's in front of the nap room. I'll go tell Miss Moon that you're here."

 

Soohyuk sighed in relief when she finally walked away. He then followed the girl's given direction to the toilet. After coming out of the toilet, he was intrigued to check the room across.

 

The nap room, huh? He walked to the door and slowly opened it. He peeked inside and was greeted by the sight of the paper cranes hung on the ceiling. A corner of his lips curled up in a smirk. So this is where he decided to put away his memories, huh? Stupid kid!He shook his head amused. How can he forget about her if he has to see these often.

 

"Uncle," a small voice called tugging on his pants. 

 

He looked down and found a little boy drenched in water looking up at him.

 

"Who are you?" The boy tilted his head and knitted his brows.

 

"Oh! I-"

 

"JONGIN!" A voice yelled.

 

"Oops! Gotta run!" The boy ran away giggling leaving a trail of water behind him on the floor.

 

Soohyuk closed the door shaking his head. He walked away, careful not to step on the trails of water, and saw the boy running upstairs.

 

"Jongin!" The voice yelled again as a girl ran past him.

 

He didn't really see what happened, but the next thing he knew he was holding onto the girl.

 

 

 

 

 

The volunteers outside were busy arranging seats for the sponsors and other guests who would come. Miss Moon was checking on the stage when Vic approached her.

 

"Miss Moon, Chanyeol's brother has arrived," Vic informed.

 

"Oh!" She raised her brows in surprise. "He has?" She made sure and Vic nodded with a smile.

 

SPLASH.

 

They snapped their head toward the direction of the sound. Miss Moon sighed shaking her head while Vic giggled. 

 

One of the sponsors had decided to donate an inflatable pool and the kids were undoubtedly excited about it. But they were not supposed to swim until the main event was over.

 

"Jongin! I told you not now!" Miss Moon said authoritatively while she scooped the boy out of the pool.

 

"But Miss Moon-"

 

"No but's, young man! Vic, can you please him to his room so he can change?"

 

"Sure, ma'am," Vic smiled.

 

"No! I don't want to go with Vic noona. I want to go with Bora noona!" The boy pouted.

 

"Okay, kid!" Vic chuckled rolling her eyes. "I'll get the towel and call Bora." She said to Miss Moon.

 

"Do you like Bora noona that much?" Miss Moon asked the boy with a smile and the boy nodded excitedly.

 

"Bora noona helped us to get back Chanyeol hyung's princess!" Jongin said with a wide grin.

 

That got Miss Moon blinking in confusion. "Princess?"

 

"Mm." The boy hummed and gave a firm nod.

 

Bora approached them with a towel and crouched down to Jongin's level. "Jongin, let's go dry yourself and change."

 

The boy nodded. "Okay! But first...," a playful grin widened on his face, "Catch me, Noona!" The boy sprinted.

 

"Jongin!" Bora shouted in frustration. "Excuse me, Miss Moon," she bobbed her head to the lady and chased after the boy, leaving Miss Moon chortling by herself.

 

"Jongin!" She shouted as she entered the house and heard the boy's distant giggle. 

 

She checked every room down the hall in case he was hiding in one of them. When she opened the last door, a giggling Jongin burst out of the room knocking her to the ground.

 

"Catch me, Noona!" He ran away, disappearing as he turned at a corner.

 

"Jongin!" She complained trying to stand up. She stood up and haves out a sigh. "This kid!" 

 

She picked up the towel from the ground and stormed toward Jongin's direction.

 

"JONGIN!" She yelled. 

 

A moment later, she saw the boy running toward the stairs.

 

"Jongin!" She picked up her pace to catch the boy.

 

She had her eyes on the boy, that she wasn't paying attention to the trail of water he left behind. She was chasing after him one second, and the next second her foot stepped on the water and she slipped. She squeezed her eyes shut waiting for the impact to the floor. Yet, it never happened.

 

Am I dead? She wondered because she didn't feel any pain until her mind registered the touch of an arm around her body.

 

She slowly opened her eyes and was met by a pair of eyes who was staring at her with rounded eyes. For a moment, she felt time had slowed down. 

 

Those eyes... She pondered. Why do they looked familiar?

 


 

My brother found out that I have a girlfriend, so I admitted that I do. I haven't told him your name though. But I do wish you can meet him soon. He's a great brother and I know he will support us!

 


 

A/N:

Happy [belated] Kyungsoo Day and Jongin Day!

Sorry for the late update.