Chapter 10: Just Like Cranes

100 Cranes of Hope

It's a fresh morning. After the children had their breakfast, the older ones went off to school while the toddlers went to the play room.

"Unnie, let's continue folding the paper cranes for Chanyeol oppa!" Luna and Jinri tugged the hem of Bora's shirt.

With a giggle, Bora looked down at both. "Yes sure!" She answered right away, making the girls excited.

"Yay! Who wants to join us?" The girls shouted.

"I'm in!" Kyungsoo shouted excitedly.

"Me too!" Jongin jumped up and down and ran around the room, prompting the other kids in the room to run with him.

"Okay, okay." Bora laughed. "But let's all sit down first." She sat down first, demonstrating for them.

The kids ran toward her instead and immediately sat down.

"Here are the color papers." Bora passed on the papers to them with a grin. "Take some papers and follow me on how to fold then into paper cranes, okay?"

The kids replied with a chorus of 'Yes, Noona!' and 'Yes, Unnie!'

For some reason, she herself was excited to do this. She remembered she used to do this with her mom. But something told her there was something else about these paper cranes. And the thought of doing this for Chanyeol strangely enticed her.

Jinri took a lot of yellow papers, Luna took the pink ones, Jongin the red ones, and Kyungsoo the blue ones. Other kids took random color papers.

"Take one paper and fold the top corner of the paper down to the bottom corner. Crease and open again. Then fold the paper in half sideways." Bora showed them how and they followed her instruction.

"Turn the paper over to the white side. Fold the paper in half, crease well and open, and then fold again in the other direction."

"Using the creases you have made, bring the top 3 corners of the model down to the bottom corner. Now flatten the model."

The kids tried hard to fold it neatly.
Some can do it and most were still trying hard to fold it.

The little boys and the girls asked for Bora's help. "Help me please!"

"Sure, wait for a while. I will help you one by one." Bora came to the little ones and helped.

When Bora and the kids were already finishing few paper cranes, they continued to make more. After a while, the door to the room creaked open and in came Chanyeol in checkered shirt with his gig bag slung on his shoulders.

"Oppa!"
"Hyung!"

The kids jumped to their feet at the sight of him.

Bora greeted him with a smile
as he entered the room. "Hey!"

"O-oh hey!" Chanyeol replied awkwardly. He then turned his attention back to the kids who were now eagerly showing their paper cranes. "Why are you guys making these again?" He carefully placed down his gig bag before sitting down between Luna and Jinri.

"We are helping you to meet your princess again, remember?" Jongin rolled his eyes.

"And we're not going to stop until 1000!" Jinri opened her arms wide.

"We promised you that we will help, Oppa." Luna hugged him with a pout.

Chanyeol didn't know what to say and just gave them a smile. "Alright, let me help you too."
He lifted Luna to sit on his lap.

"No, Oppa." Luna raised and waved her index finger at him. "You just do nothing and watch us make them for you."

Chanyeol laughed. "But isn't this supposed to help me fulfill my wishes?" He grinned and lightly pinched the girl's cheek.

Luna scrunched her nose in though. "Right." She nodded once before she broke into a grin. "Then let's do this together."

"Luna, show Chanyeol oppa the cranes you've made." Bora told her.

Chanyeol briefly glanced at Bora, but he couldn't let his gaze stay too long on her.

"Oh right! Oppa, the pink ones are made by me." Luna said.

"Mine are the yellow ones!" Jinri showed him.

"Wow, those are really pretty!" He praised the girls with amazement and ruffled their hairs.

Bora smiled when she saw how Chanyeol reacted to the girls. Somehow at the back of her mind, like a distant memory, she heard a voice saying that too but to her. And it wasn't just anyone's voice. It was Chanyeol's.

Suddenly, she felt like her mind and soul were pulled back. She saw Chanyeol smiling at her saying the very words she just heard. Only, he wasn't in his checkered shirt. He was wearing a school's uniform instead. His hands then reached for her head caressing it so gently.

"But you are much prettier."

It was only a flash of memory, but it made Bora's heart race.

"It's Bora unnie who taught us!" The girls pointed at Bora, snapping her out of her thought.

Bora blinked surprised and she forced a smile, but she could still hear her heart hammering against her ribcage. And when her eyes landed on his, breathing suddenly became somewhat hard.

What was that? She asked herself. Why did he appear in my mind?

Chanyeol knitted his brows a little when he saw the look on Bora's face. She was smiling, but he could tell she was forcing it. And she looked troubled.

"Ooh! Ooh!" Jongin raised his hand, breaking the two's eye contact. "Can I ask, can I ask?"

Chanyeol chuckled and nodded.

"Why does the princess like cranes? Why not other birds like... hmm." The boy tapped his chin in thought. "Oh! Why not peacoks? Peacoks have colorful feathers and are cooler!" He gestured extravagantly with his hands.

"Peacocks can't fly too high though," Kyungsoo piped in as he tugged Bora's sleeve to help him fold another paper crane.

Jongin frowned, crossing his arms. "How do you know? Have you even seen one?"

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "No. But I know."

"Do you have a proof?" Jongin challenged, placing his hands on his hip.

The girls and some other kids rolled their eyes. They were already used to these two boys bickering. And they already knew Kyungsoo would win the argument. Again.

"The picture books can tell you," Kyungsoo answered casually, pointing a finger at the small shelf of books at the corner of the room. "If only you read more. But you like to play more, that's why I'm smarter and know a lot-er."

"Hey," Bora gently warned Kyungsoo with a pat on the head.

Jongin huffed and pouted, crossing his arms. "You're a meannie!"

Jinri and Luna exchanged a look and shook their head, mouthing 'boys!' with a roll of their eyes.

Chanyeol had to hold the urge to chuckle at the two. "Hey, no need to fight, okay?" He rubbed Jongin's back. "But Kyungsoo is right, buddy." He ruffled the boy's hair. "Peacocks can't fly as high as the cranes."

"Told you." Kyunsoo shrugged.

"Is that why the princess likes cranes?" Jongin asked thoughtfully.

"Well, not really. She liked them because cranes are loyal to their mates. Once a crane meets its mate, they will stay together until they die," Chanyeol explained.

Bora heard a voice in her mind again. This time it was the voice of her younger self saying the last statement Chanyeol just made. She lightly shook her head at it. It's common knowledge, Bora. Everyone knows that.

"But the princess left the prince," Luna reminded with a frown.

Chanyeol automatically glanced at Bora. His eyes stayed on her for a while before they travelled back to the little girl on his lap. "She'll come back." He smiled.

"How?" Another kid prodded.

Chanyeol's smile widened into a grin. "Because the prince had a lot of help from sweet little elves to fold more paper cranes!"

The kids suddenly burst out a chorus of 'Yay!' while they jumped up to their feet.

Bora chuckled at them as they jumped up and down and some even danced a little. Yet, her smile faltered when she found Chanyeol staring at her with sad eyes.

"Don't go." She suddenly heard his voice in her head again and she immediately shut her eyes with a flinch. "Please."

A flash of his face with red eyes and cheeks stained with tears crossed her mind. She suddenly felt her heart breaking and her head throbbing with pain. She clutched her head with one hand.

"Are you okay?"

The deep voice and warm hand on her shoulder made her eyes flew open. She was greeted by a pair of brown irises with furrowed brows over the eyes. Bora opened but couldn't find a word to reply and could only stare back.

"Unni, are you okay?" Luna placed her small hand on her other shoulder.

Bora tore her gaze away from Chanyeol and her eyes settled on the little girl's worried face.

She cleared and placed a hand over the little girl's. "Yes, I'm okay." She gave Luna a small smile before trying to get up on her feet.

Chanyeol stood up along with her and took a step back.

"I-I'll get myself a drink. You can handle the kids alone for awhile right?" She briefly glanced at Chanyeol who nodded at her.

Bora excused herself to the kitchen. After filling a glass with water and downing some, she took a seat at the dining table and slowly closed her eyes, breathing a sigh. There was still a little pain in her head. She brought a hand to hold the side of her head as she propped an elbow on the table.

What were those? She tried to take a deep breath. Were those memories? But... How? I couldn't have possibly known him before, right?

"Hey."

Bora flinched at a tap on her shoulder, but then smiled when she saw Victoria smiling down at her.

"You okay?" The older one asked.

"Yeah." Bora nodded.

"The kids giving you a hard time?" Vic asked playfully.

Bora giggled at that. "Nah. They're good kids."

Vic nodded with a smile. "Hey, Chanyeol's with the kids right?" She grinned after the younger one nodded. "Wanna help me prepare lunch?" She offered a hand which Bora took with a chuckle.

"Sure."


 

Like usual when the kids were going to take a nap after lunch, Chanyeol played his guitar to make them sleep with few songs.

As he strummed the guitar, Bora covered each of the kids with blankets and gently tapped them, so they could sleep.

After they had fallen asleep, Chanyeol kept on playing his guitar while Bora cleaned up some mess. He glanced at her for several times, not knowing that she caught him doing that from the corner of her eyes. He could tell that there was something bothering her, but he didn't know what to do.

Should I just drop the cold act?Chanyeol wondered to himself, remembering his conversation with his brother. Soohyuk told him to pursue her again, but doing so wasn't that easy for him.

Bora could feel heat rising to her cheeks, feeling the weight of his gaze on her. She cleared . "Is something on my face?" She finally raised her gaze to him who was caught off guard. "You've been staring at me, you know?"

Chanyeol quickly looked elsewhere, cursing himself. Aish! Why did I keep on looking at her?His gaze found hers again and cleared his throat. Then he saw pieces of cut-paper sticking on her hair. "Actually-" he pointed at her hair. "-there's something on your hair."

"Oh!" She immediately brushed her hair. "It must be the pieces of paper Jongin threw like a confetti earlier." She giggled. "Thanks!"

She brushed them off but there was still one that got stuck on her hair. Chanyeol told her again and directed her where the piece was. Still, she couldn't brushed it off.

"It's okay, I think I will brush it off late-" her words was cut by the sudden action of Chanyeol who moved close to her.

He took the piece of paper, pulling it down her hair with his fingers. "There." Without much thought, he gently patted her head with a smile.

Bora looked up at him surprisedly. His gesture felt familiar somehow, and she felt her heart beat faster when he lowered his gaze to her, a hand hovering over her head.

Chanyeol quickly retracted his hand and rubbed his nape, just realizing what he did only because he was so itchy to brush off the little piece of paper. He cleared his throat when he heard her muttering a soft thanks. He nodded and quickly backed away to gather his things. He then apologized for having to leave already before he scurried out of the room.

Chanyeol sighed as he leaned against the door. When he walked away from the door, she came out from the room too.

"Chanyeol-ssi. Can I ask-"

Chanyeol tried to avoid her when she call him by calling Suho who just passed at the hallway. "Hyung!" He quickly approached the older guy. "There you are! I need your help."

"Hey, what's up!" Suho patter Chanyeol's shoulder. "What do you need my help for?" He questioned but then paused when he saw Bora behind Chanyeol who looked like she wanted to talk to this boy. "Oh! Hey, Bora!" He waved a hand with a smile.

"It's urgent!" Chanyeol quickly told him. "I need you for my studio thing."

"You need my help for your studio?" Suho raised a brow and Chanyeol nodded. "O-kayy?" He eyed the younger guy suspiciously. "I know nothing about recording or whatever though."

"Guess I'll talk to you later." Bora gave a small smile to Chanyeol before entering the room again.

"Is there something going on between you two?" Suho quirked an eyebrow.

Chanyeol shook his head as an answer.

"But it seems like a yes to me." Suho smirked. "You looked like you were trying to ignore her just now."

"I wasn't." Chanyeol denied immediately. "I should go back to the studio now."

"So what kind of help you need from me?" Suho asked him as they walked through the hallway to the front door.

Chanyeol pursed his lips. "Nothing."

Suho stopped in his step, "Are you joking?"

"No, I'm not." Chanyeol scratched his head, smiling sheepishly. "Sorry hyung. I-It was just... an excuse for me."

"So you were avoiding Bora." Suho noted with a little frown while Chanyeol rubbed his nape. "First, I was surprised of why you need me for your studio thing because I'm not really into music. But then , I thought you really need my help. So I was somewhat excited." He narrowed his eyes at Chanyeol. "You got my hope high like a mountain but crush it like a tsunami."

Chanyeol chuckled. "Oh come on, Hyung! Don't be so dramatic."

"Ya! Come here, you rascal!"

Suho looked like he was about to kill the still laughing Chanyeol if it weren't for the voice that made him flinch.

"Suho! You're supposed to help me! Are you trying to run away? What are you two doing here?" Victoria asked and glared at Suho.

"Hey noona!" Chanyeol gave her a smile and he got a smile back from Victoria.

Suho frowned not even getting one smile from her.

"Aren't you supposed to help Bora?" Victoria asked Chanyeol.

"I have helped her, but I gotta go back to the studio now." He smiled. "Guess, I'll leave this hyung with you." Chanyeol patted Suho's back. "Bye, Noona! Bye, Hyung!" He waved.

"Ya! Chanyeol!!" Suho tried to stop him but Victoria grabbed him by the back of his collar.

"Come here, you!" She dragged him while he helplessly whined.


 

A smile grazed her lips when she was done folding the second paper crane.

Hurried steps and pants made her look up. Her smile widened when she saw a certain giant elf running toward her who was sitting on one of the benches at the school's park. When he arrived in front of her, he placed his hands on his knees to prop himself before wiping the sweat on his forehead.

"Sorry for making you wait," Chanyeol apologized over pants, taking a seat beside Bora. "Mrs. Lee was taking her time explaining us the next project."

Bora chuckled. "It's okay. I wasn't waiting that long anyway. Oh! Look!" She showed him two of the paper cranes she just made.

Chanyeol chuckled. "You and paper cranes!"

"This one's for you." She handed one to him. "Aren't they pretty?" She grinned.

He nodded with a smile. "They are pretty! But-" He reached a hand to her head and his eyes bore into hers "-you're prettier."

Bora blinked several times, flustered by his action. Though they had been dating for quiet a while, he could still send butterflies in her stomach through his little actions. She then broke into a smile and pinched his waist. "Cheesy!" She scrunched her nose.

"Ack!" Chanyeol yelped. "What was that for?" He frowned rubbing his pinched waist. "I was just telling the truth."

Bora shrugged, trying hard to hide her grin. "I know."

They both then laughed as they stood up and walked side by side.

"Why do you like cranes so much again?" Examining the paper crane given to him, he asked after walking a few distance.

"My mom used to like folding these with me." She smiled.

"Oh right! The granting wish thing, huh?"

Bora nodded. "But that wasn't the only reason I like cranes. Cranes are symbol of long life and loyalty. Once a crane meets its mate, they will stay together until they die." She looked at him with a smile that always took Chanyeol's breath away. "And I wish for us to be like that."

"You wish for us to be cranes?" Chanyeol deadpanned.

Bora pouted at his joke and pinched his waist again.

"Ack!" He yelped again before chuckling. "I was just kidding!"

Bora looked away and kept her frown as they continued to walk. She suddenly felt a warm hand enveloping hers, intertwining their fingers, and a pair of lips pressing against her cheek, giving a quick peck. She felt her heart skipped a beat when she looked to her side and found him smiling at her and then pulling her to walk again.


 

I wish like the cranes, we will always stay by each other's side until our hair turns grey.


 

A/N:

Hi! Elfedcamel here!

Sorry for making you wait too long for an update. My sister, SooSoo88 actually had finished the draft of this chapter, in my stead, since like two or even four weeks ago. But she always sends her drafts to me to be edited. Unfortunately, I have been so busy at work, so I kept on postponing to edit the story.

She's actually the main author for this story now since I'm taking over You Are My Sunshine. Trust me, she always tries her best to satisfy you all with updates. I slowed them down lol. So, I'm sorry for that. Haha! Thank you for staying with us though ^^