Chapter 2: Him

100 Cranes of Hope

The swift movement of his fingers on the laptop's keyboard created a constant clicking sound. His eyes focused solely on the screen, darting to the clipped papers beside his laptop once in a while. A golden plate carved with his name was placed on the table. Below the name was the title of his position.

Chief Executive Officer

A knock on his door disrupted his concentration and he sighed in annoyance before he continued typing.

"Come in," he said brusquely with his deep voice.

A middle-aged man entered and bowed.

"What is it, Mr. Jung?" He asked the older man impatiently, eyes never leaving the screen.

"Your father-," he stopped himself when the younger man shot him a look. "Pardon me, sir," he bobbed his head and corrected himself, "I meant the Chairman has just arrived from China and he requested to have a lunch with you."

The CEO leaned back on his chair and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Tell him I'm busy," he finally said.

"A-actually, sir," the older man cleared his throat, "there's also a guest. I think the Chairman wants to introduce you to him."

The CEO just straightened his back and started typing again. "It doesn't make me less busy, Mr. Jung."

"Pardon me, sir," Mr. Jung bobbed his head in apology yet again, "but I think you should at least come see the Chairman just for a few minutes. It would only make you look bad in front of the guest if you don't."

The CEO heaved a sigh and closed his eyes.

"Fine." He finally relented as he opened his eyes. "Are they downstairs?"

"Yes sir." Mr. Jung nodded once.

The CEO sighed again as he closed his laptop and stood up buttoning his suit jacket. He exited his office with Mr. Jung as his personal assistant trailing behind him. His secretary immediately stood up and bobbed her head when he walked past her. He rode down the lift with Mr. Jung and as soon as he arrived at the desired floor, strings of greetings from the hotel's employees were said. He just slightly nodded to them before he walked past the lobby entering the hotel's restaurant.

"Ah! Soohyuk! You're finally here!" An older man greeted him cheerfully.

He stopped at the side of the table and bowed his head.

"You have arrived," Soohyuk noted.

The older man chuckled.

"Come come! Here sit down," he told him with a warm smile patting a chair beside him.

"I'm sorry, Chairman, but I just came down to greet you. I still have a lot of things to do-"

"Oh don't bury yourself with work, Soohyuk," the man replied, "Just sit down for a while. You have worked hard. Come sit down," he offered again.

Soohyuk lightly scoffed to the side before relenting to the Chairman's request and sat down beside him.

"Wow! You've grown up well," commented another man who had been sitting in front of the Chairman.

"Ah right! Soohyuk, this is my old friend, Kihyun," the Chairman introduced. "We're going to work together with Kihyun for another project of our Corporate Social Responsibility."

Soohyuk just nodded aimlessly at the new information. Right then, he just wanted to go back to his office and be leagues away from the Chairman.

"Pleasure to meet you," Soohyuk tried to be as polite as possible though he couldn't really hide the slight annoyance on his face.

"Yes. It's nice to meet you again, Soohyuk. Look at you! You're now a CEO!" Mr. Kihyun commented. "And a workaholic too at that," he added. "I guess you got that from your father here," he chuckled making the Chairman laughed along.

Yet, Soohyuk stayed silent. His jaw tightened and his hands were balled into fists for a few seconds.

"Yes. I must've got it from my late dad," he spoke up calmly with a small smile. But it was pretty clear that there was hurt in the way he spoke.

The two older men's laughters immediately came to a halt. The atmosphere suddenly became awkward. The Chairman's gaze dropped down and Mr. Kihyun cleared his throat while Soohyuk downed the provided glass of water.

"Y-yes," Mr. Kihyun cleared his throat again. "Your father is the most workaholic of us three. He's actually my friend too," he smiled trying to ease the awkwardness.

"Ah. I see," came Soohyuk's short and cold reply.

"Anyway, how's your other son?" Mr. Kihyun now asked his friend trying to leaven the mood.

"Ah. Chanyeol? He's doing fine. He's now a music producer," the Chairman smiled though his smile didn't quiet reach his eyes, unlike before.

"He's a music producer?" Mr. Kihyun asked surprised to which the Chairman just nodded. "I thought he's going to help you here too."

"No. Soohyuk suits the business world more and he's more capable to replace me later," the Chairman now smiled more sincerely.

Soohyuk mentally scoffed.
It has been rightfully mine from the start.

"Pardon me," Soohyuk stood up, "I see you have some catching up to do. l think I'll pass lunch with you. I need to go back up, Chairman."

The Chairman nodded. "Yes, you can go back to your work now."

Soohyuk bobbed his bead to both men and walked away.

"He still doesn't want to call you 'Dad', huh Chansoo?" Kihyun asked as his eyes were still lingering on the young man who just walked away.

The asked man just sighed. "It's too late now for that." He raised his cup of coffee. "I understand him though. I am not his father after all." A corner of his lips curled into a small smile, but it was obvious to his friend that it was a sad smile. He then took a sip of his coffee. "What I need to do now," he added as he placed down his cup, "is to make sure Changhyuk's wish for his son to take over his business be fulfilled."

His friend sighed too. "You have done well, my friend. The hotel is doing well.  And look at Soohyuk! He has grown into a fine young man. I'm sure Changhyuk is happy with what you've been doing for his - now yours - family."

"I sure hope he is," the Chairman smiled.



Soohyuk entered his office again and dismissed Mr. Jung. He walked to his desk and plopped down on his chair. He propped an elbow on the chair's arm rest and rubbed his temple as he closed his eyes and heaved out a sigh.

He could never stand being in the same room for too long with the man who had taken his father's place in the business and in the family. To him, the man will never be his dad. He may hold the title of being his father. But to his heart, the Chairman was never his dad.

He slowly opened his eyes and reached for a photo frame placed on his desk. He leaned back and stared at the photo in his hands. It was a picture of his toddler self who was grinning happily and was sitting on the lap of a man who smiled warmly. A woman with the similar warm smile stood behind the man; her hands rested on his shoulders. He felt a pang of longing in his heart as his finger trailed along the frame.

What should I do, Dad? I can never accept that man.


I know sometimes you miss your parents, but remember you have me now. I hope you can lean on me.