Chapter 14: The Call

100 Cranes of Hope

When Soohyuk got out of the bathroom with loosely tied bathrobe, his phone on the desk rang and lit up with his step-father's name.

He picked up the call after some hesitation. "Yes?"

"Oh! Soohyuk! How's the project with Bora?"

He sighed drying his hair with a towel. "We haven't started anything, Chairman."

"I see... But you and Bora should start planning soon because I need to know about the progress and the finance department needs to know the budget that you both need too."

He glanced down at a document that was given by the Chairman on the table.

"Contact her and start planning. Set a meeting with her. Ok that's for now."

"But I-" the call ended before Soohyuk even finished his reply. "But I don't even know her number yet.," he mumbled and exhaled a long breath. Guess I don't need to call her too soon then.

DING!
The name "Chairman Park" lit up the screen of his phone indicating a text message from the man.

I guess you don't have her number yet. Here's her number: 01XXXXXXX27 .
Good luck with your project! ~( ^___^ )*

Soohyuk scoffed to the side. "What's with that emoticon?!" He chuckled without his own realization then immediately went silent when he realized it.

Deep in his heart, he was longing for his dad's support. Not from his step father however. He wanted it from his own dad. But that is just a fantasy that could never be fulfilled. All he had now was just a step father whose presence he still couldn't accept.

Should I give him a chance? For a moment, he mulled over the idea, but soon enough he shook his head, "What am I thinking..."

Throwing his phone to the bed, he went to his neat and sophisticated closet to change. Once he came out dressed, he reached for his phone again and dialed the number given by the chairman.

The number you are calling is unavailable. Please try again. Beep.

Checking his watch, he clicked his tongue. It's past 7 already! Shouldn't she be awake by now!? He wondered.

Several times he called the number again with no answer. "Oh right, maybe she's busy with the kids." Trying to be patient and deciding to call her again later, he went downstairs to have a breakfast first.

"Morning dear! Would you like an omelette and sausages?" His mom cheekily asked.

"Sure. Thanks, Mom." As his mom served him the food, he hung his suit jacket on the chair before sitting down. He stared at the empty seat beside him wondering if Chanyeol still hadn't got home.

"Hyuk, why haven't you started to eat? Something wrong with the food? Should I make another?" His mom took a seat beside him while asking him with confusion.

"Nothing's wrong. No need, Mom. Really thank you. I'm just wondering if Yeol has got home? Or has he left early again? I was just thinking of eating the breakfast together if he hasn't left."

A smile curled on his mom's lips. She was glad that Soohyuk cared about his little brother though they were of different fathers. "He's still sleeping," she said with a little shake of her head, but the smile remained. "Actually I think he just slept at 2. Just eat first. You need to work."

"He arrived home late? Again?" Soohyuk sighed. "Mom, I guess you should tell him to take a break from that part time volunteer thing. He had been doing that very often; he could fall sick from doing that." Soohyuk started eating.

His mom laughed delightfully, "The three of you need a break. Do you know how much I miss you guys? I've been spending time here alone mostly since you all are working till night."

"Well, Mom, you should tell that to Mr. Park about this, so I could have a break from work to spend time with you."

Sometimes she still wonder why Soohyuk still called Chansoo as Mr. Park instead. She just hoped he would try to give Chansoo a chance.

Her change of expression made Soohyuk realize how careless he was for saying that toward his mom. Trying to divert the topic, he said, "Oh, Mom! You should eat too. Why are you just watching me eat?"

"It's okay. I love to see you eating the food I made. You've grown up so much, Hyuk-ah." She patted his head to show how proud and glad she was to have him when she lost her first love, his father.

He chuckled. "You're talking as if this will be the last time you'll see me eat."

"If you already have a wife, you will spend the days with her and enjoy her meal more."

Soohyuk groaned. "Mom! That won't happen soon. Even if I'm married, I can still come over here to have your meal." Finishing the meal, he took a glass of water.

"So... have you met a girl? Should I arranged you on a blind date?"

"What? No!" He almost choke on his water. "I'm very busy with my work, so I don't have a time for that." He cleaned his lips with the napkin.

Taking the dirty plate to the sink, he rolled up his sleeves and washed it. His mom wasn't dropping the time any time soon. "I heard from Yeolie that you met a girl."

Aish! That kid! Soohyuk thought. "Yeol just loves to mess with your mind. What he said wasn't true. You know how he is, Mom."

"Well, I thought this time he was right."

"Mom, please.." Done with the washing, he turned to face his Mom.

"Okay, okay! How about the girl that you work with? What's the name again. Hmmm... Bo-?"

"Bora." He told her, rolling his eyes. He knew that his mom just wanted him to say the name.

"Oh so that's Kihyun's daughter's name! Is she pretty? How about her?"

"Mom, please..."

"Alright, at least introduce her to me." Soohyuk's eyes questioned her request as his mom continued," As your coworker. I just want to know whom you are working with." His mom grinned with playfulness in her eyes.

"Yeah, fine." He answered with a smile to his Mom while in truth, he was annoyed with introducing that girl to his Mom. Why on earth do I have to work with her?!

"I better wake Yeol up before I go. He should at least have something for breakfast," he told her before going up to his brother's room. It took a while to wake him up; but after he did, he went for work.
.
.
.
On his way to the office, he put a Bluetooth headset whilst driving. One hand gripped on the steering wheel and the other one was tapping on the phone to call the number. When the call was connected, he waited for it until she picked up. His eyes were focusing on the road while his mind asked of how long she's gonna picked it up.

"Hello, who's this?"

"Finally you picked up the call." He sighed deeply. "It's me."

He waited for another reply, but instead she said, "Sorry I don't know you. Bye!"

Before she could ended the call, he muttered something to her to hold on the call for awhile. "Come to my office on time at lunch. No buts. It's an order. For our project." Then he ended the call.

He clicked his tongue and loosened his tie. Woah! This girl is really something!

When he got a lamp traffic, he typed down a message to warn her.

"Let's see, I have to prepare something if she's late." He muttered.

_________________

Bora had taken too much time indulging herself in the thoughts of Chanyeol that she forgot what she should be worrying about what to tell her dad and brother for missing the whole night. But then as she thought more about Soohyuk's warning message, she began to get panicked more than worried. That guy could get more annoying if she were to be late.

Once she arrived home, she rushed inside passing her brother who came out of the kitchen hollering where she had been. She subconsciously noted that her dad must have gone to work.

When she went back down after changing her clothes, her brother Hajin kept on asking where she had been nagging how she should have given him a call. She let him be while she rushed to take a bread Hajin had made for her and drink some of the milk too. She then quickly made her way to the door, not forgetting to put on her shoes first.

"Okay, Oppa, stop!" She stood up and grabbed onto her brother's shoulders. "I'll explain everything later, but right now I really need to go or else that annoying Soohyuk would nag me. Alright?"

Hajin rolled his eyes and sighed. "Fine! I'll drive you there. Come on!"

Bora smiled and thanked heavens that she wasn't late to meet this Lee Soohyuk. She grinned triumphantly where she entered his office hating the fact that the guy looked disappointed she wasn't late.

Well, he better watch out. She's not someone that would easily let him put herself down. Definitely.

_____________

Oops... no wishes for this chapter right now. Can anyone guess what wishes will be on the next chapter?

_____________