Special Chapter

100 Cranes of Hope

"Hey," Suho nudged Victoria who was cutting the fruits for the kids, "what's with them?" He put down the dishes on the sink and nodded toward the four toddlers who were leaning their heads on the table.

Vic turned her head to briefly look at them before looking back at the fruits.

"I don't know either," she shrugged. "They've been like that since they woke up from nap yesterday. The other toddlers have been gloomy too."


Luna sighed and the others followed suit.

"What should we do?" Jinri pouted lifting her head off the table.

"We should help Chanyeol oppa!" Luna slammed her little hand on the table as she stood up, making the others jumped on their seats.

"Ya! Do you have to do that?" Jongin protested, putting a hand over his chest.

"Are we even sure Chanyeol hyung was telling a story of himself?" Kyungsoo asked.

Luna snapped her head toward him. "Duh!" She rolled her eyes. "Of course it was his story!" Luna then clasped her hands and stared ahead dreamily. "Oppa is tall and handsome and very kind too! So the prince must be him."

Luna's and Jinri's cheeks turned pink at the thought.

"That makes sense." Kyungsoo nodded.

"But still," Jinri's smile turned into a pout again, "what should we do?"

"I don't know." Luna frowned and fell down on her seat again with slumped shoulders.

The four lowered their heads sighing.

"Fruits coming!" Victoria announced cheerfully bringing the plate of fruits to the table.

The kids had always loved fruits. But this time, they didn't even feel like eating them.

"Hey, what's wrong?" The upward curve on Vic's lips turned upside down seeing how gloomy the kids looked.

"We want to help Chanyeol oppa," Luna answered.

"Help Chanyeol oppa?" Vic repeated with rounded eyes.

"But we don't know what to do!" Jongin exclaimed dramatically, putting his hands on his cheeks only to drag them down.

"Whoa! Calm down there, kiddo!" Suho chuckled patting his head.

Just then Miss Moon came in with someone in tow.

"Hi, Miss Moon! Oh hey, Bora!" Suho beamed at the girl behind Miss Moon.

"Hi, Suho-ssi! Hi, Victoria-ssi!" Bora greeted back.

"Ey~ What's with the formality?" Suho chuckled. "Just call me oppa."

"Tsk." Vic rolled her eyes at Suho. "But yeah, you can call me unnie too, Bora," Vic smiled.

"Hello, Children!" Miss Moon greeted.

All four of them bobbed their heads and greeted back soullessly, "Hello, Miss Moon!"

"Oh? Why are you all putting a frown?" Miss Moon asked the kids who lowered their heads even more. She glanced at the two supervisors, but they both just shrugged. "Come on, children! Cheer up!" Miss Moon clapped her hands. "Look! I brought you a new sister! Her name is Bora. Nam Bora. Bora, these are Kyungsoo, Jongin, Luna, and Jinri."

"Hi!" Bora waved at the kids, but their shoulders just slumped even more.

"Children," Miss Moon sighed, "you know it's impolite to greet someone like that," she scolded them a bit.

"It's okay, Miss Moon," Bora assured her. Looking at their gestures, she knew they were just sad about something.

"We're sorry, Miss Moon," Kyungsoo spoke up on behalf of his friends. "Sorry, noona," he bobbed his head.

"It's okay," Bora approached them and patted Kyungsoo's head. She then looked at the girls, "why do you all look so down?" She asked in concern.

"We wanna help our oppa," Jinri spoke in a small voice.

"Your oppa?" Bora asked back.

"It's one of the volunteers. He's their favorite," Vic told her and Bora's mouth formed an 'O' as she nodded.

"What about him?" She asked the four kids again.

"We have to help him get back his princess- umph!" Jongin was stopped by Luna who put a hand over his mouth.

Bora just blinked at them. She reckoned that Luna was not ready to open up to her just yet. It's a given though since they just met her anyway.

"It's nothing, Unnie," Luna forced a smile while Jongin was trying to pry her hand off of his mouth.

"Okay," Bora just smiled. "Hmm," she tapped her chin with a finger in thought, "since it's our first time meeting each other, do you want to watch a movie together?" She asked them.

Their eyes immediately glinted with excitement and grins were formed on their lips. They feel their hearts brighten up a bit.

"Will that be okay, Miss Moon?" Bora asked the older lady.

"Sure! Why not! You can use the nap room. Suho, please help Bora set up the projector and laptop. And Vic, please help call the other toddlers."

"Yes, Ma'am," both of them nodded.

"I'll bring the fruits to the room later," said Vic before she exited the dining room to gather the other toddlers.

"Yay! Let's go!" Bora gestured for the kids to follow her and they gladly did.

After some arguing by the kids over which movie to watch, Bora finally suggested for them to vote. Since majority of the kids were girls, they settled with Cinderella. Jongin, though, was only half-heartedly agreeing to it, thinking the movie would be too girly since it's about a princess. But as the story went, he ended up being the one who sat at the front. He was always fascinated with stories involving magic.

Bora let out a breathy chuckle looking at how the kids were so immersed in watching the movie.

"Unnie," Luna called when the movie had ended.

"Yes, Luna?" Bora asked, taking out the disc from the laptop.

"Do dreams and wishes come true?"
The girl asked her with all seriousness that it actually got Bora taken aback. But she then recollected herself and smiled.

"Of course!" She answered confidently, sitting down beside the girl.

"Really?" The girl's eyes sparkled.

"If you work hard for it and believe it with all your heart, any wishes your heart makes can come true!"

"Can I fly then?" Jongin asked full of hope.

"Oh boy! Not again!" Kyungsoo shook his head at his friend's silly question.

Bora giggled at the two. "I suppose you can," Jongin's eyes and grin widened before she added, "on a plane that is."

Jongin pouted while Kyungsoo chuckled a bit. Luna gave a sigh and a frown again. Bora noticed it and turned to her again.

"What's the matter?" Bora tilted her head and patted the little girl's back. "Do you wanna tell me?" She asked gently seeing how the girl was hesitant to answer.

"It's...," Luna bit her lip weighing in her mind whether to tell the new sister or not. "It's a long story."

"I have plenty of time to spend with you," Bora giggled.

"There's this prince," Luna decided to say.

"Uhuh," Bora encouraged her to continue on.

"He was left by his princess," the little girl continued. "His princess flew with a crane. But the problem is the prince really, really, really loved her. He even made 100 paper cranes for her!" Luna opened both of her arms wide.

Hearing about the paper cranes, Bora realized that the girl was actually talking about that guy who folded the paper cranes hung on the ceiling of the very room they were in right now. And somehow, she felt a slight pang in her heart thinking about how the guy might actually be left by the person he loved. She thought that it was weird for her to feel that way when she didn't even know him. Empathy. That must be it, she concluded.

"Ooh, ooh, ooh!" Jongin interrupted. "And each cranes had one wish for the princess!"

"But most importantly, he wished to meet the princess again," Jinri added.

"Hmm... Is that so?" Bora nodded knitting her brows in the middle. "And you all want to help them reunite again, huh? Is this prince the oppa you said before?"

Luna and Jinri smiled sheepishly at the question and slowly nodded.

"Noona, what does 'reunite' mean?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Oh!" She giggled. "It means to meet again."

"Oh~" the kids nodded.

"Yes, yes!" Luna clapped her hands. "We want that! Can you help us, Unnie?" She pleaded.

"Sure, but... Hmm. Let me think," Bora looked up at the ceiling grabbing her chin in between her thumb and index finger. "Aha! I know what we can do!" She snapped her fingers gaining the kids' attention.

"You do?" Kyungsoo asked with eyes full of hope.

"Mm," Bora nodded surely. "I think I know why the prince's wishes has not come true. It's because he only folded a hundred paper cranes. Legend says you have to fold a thousand paper cranes in a year to be granted a wish!"

"What?! 1000?! Oh my god!" Jongin exclaimed dramatically again. "How can we fold 1000 paper cranes?"

"Yeah. We're just little kids," Jinri agreed over a sigh.

"Hey~ Don't look so down," Bora tried to cheer everyone up. It seemed that these four kids' mood affected the others in the room as well.

To be honest, she felt it was silly for her to let them believe in such superstition. She didn't want to deceive the kids either. What if the guy's real lover would still not come back  after they folded 1000 paper cranes? Again, she didn't even know the real story between the guy and the girl he loved. But right now, she realized that the kids needed to know that there was hope to help their beloved brother. And they needed to know how to hope.

"Look around! There are... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 of you!" She finished counting them all. "And don't say you're only little kids. Remember," she held up her index finger, "if you believe in your wish and work hard for it, it will come true!" She finished with a grin.

The kids looked at each other with gleam of hope in their eyes.

"And plus," Bora added. "I will help you! I will teach you how to fold a paper crane. How's that?"

"Okay!" Jongin was the first one to stand up holding up his little fist. "Let's do this!"

Luna grinned too and jumped up to her feet. "Yes! Let's do this! Let's help Chanyeol oppa!"

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" Everyone else followed and jumped to their feet, pumping their fists in the air.

"We're the crane squad!" Jongin announced. He extended a hand in front of him with his palm facing down.

Luna put a hand over his. One by one the kids put their hands on top of one another's.

Yet, Bora suddenly turned silent.

Chan... Yeol? She felt something funny inside of her at the mention of the name. But she couldn't pinpoint what it was.

"Noona," Kyungsoo called her snapping her from her thought and she blinked at them. "Come on! Join us, noona!" He nodded at their hands.

She was confused at first, but then she smiled when she understood. She joined them putting her hand on top of everyone else's.

"Let's help Chanyeol hyung! Crane squad!" Jongin shouted.

"Crane squad!" Everyone cheered lifting up their hands.

 



A/N:
Happy new year, everyone!
This is a special chapter as a new year present for you all. Don't you just love the EXO and f(x) toddlers? ^^

We hope everyone will have a greater year ahead! Once again, happy 2016!