Realization.

Rain Drops Keep Falling On Me

Yoseob’s POV

 

“Put your pens down.” The invigilator boomed.

 

Everyone followed his instructions and he went down the rows of tables swiftly, collecting everyone’s exam papers. I stole a glance at Kikwang and I caught him smiling to himself confidently while the invigilator counted the papers. He must have done better than I expected.

 

‘I’m glad all those studying time I gave up just to tutor him paid off.’ I thought happily.

 

“Alright, enjoy your holidays everyone! You’re now…”

“WOOOOOOOOOO!!!” Everyone cheered crazily and buzzed out of the classroom, followed by invigilator.

“So how was the paper?” I walked over to Kikwang and sat on the table in front of his while waiting for him to pack.

“As great as today’s weather!” He beamed and replied excitedly.

“Hey, Seob!” Doojoon walked into the classroom.

“We’ve been waiting for your paper to end.” Hyunseung continued.

“Damn, that was a long wait, hyung!” Dongwoon whined.

“Stop it, you’ve been complaining ever since we started waiting” Junhyung stated as he made his entrance.

“I’m done! We can go now!” Kikwang stood up from his seat.

“Yay! Finally!” Dongwoon bounced cheerily. “Where are we eating at?”

“The café near my house?” I suggested.

“Yeah, sure. We’re fine with anything.” Hyunseung agreed readily.

 

‘Maybe I’ll meet her again today… I’m killing two birds with one stone now… Keke’


 

“Hyung, what does it feel like to like someone?” Dongwoon asked curiously while we were eating.

 

He was inexperienced in romance, just like me. All of the others have dated more than 2 girls and were more experienced. I pretended to drink my corn soup while keeping my ears up, waiting for an answer.

 

“Hmm… That is a hard one. Like is when you smile and feel happy when you see that person.” Doojoon answered confidently.

“And you’ll feel comfortable and like hanging around her.” Junhyung added.

 

‘I do feel comfortable around her… Did I smile when I see her? Let’s see…’ I tried remembering that day.

 

“What about love?” Dongwoon continued the questioning.

“I think it’s the same. Except you start to miss that person…” Hyunseung replied calmly.

“And you keep wanting to see her…” Kikwang stated as-matter-of-factly.

“And you keep thinking about her” Junhyung contributed

“And her face comes to your mind for no reason” Doojoon ended.

 

‘Miss her, checked; Wants to see her, checked; Keep thinking of her, checked; Comes to my mind, checked. It’s not even like anymore. I love her..? DAMN..’

 

“Somebody please kill me now, I cannot accept this!!” I exclaimed out loud.

“OMO! What is wrong with you, hyung?” Dongwoon place a hand on my shoulder.

“He’s been acting really weird lately…” Kikwang informed them.

“When a man is troubled, there’re only three reasons.” Junhyung analysed critically.

“Family, money and woman.” Hyunseung narrowed his eyes at me.

“It must not be about family and money. So… Woman..?” Doojoon raised an eyebrow.

“Well well well. Look at what we have here… Our Seobbie is troubled by affairs of the heart.” Everyone started teasing me.

“Yah, you’ve grown up. I’m so proud of you!” Junhyung gave me a pat on the back.

“Hey! Look! It’s going to rain soon… How about we go to Seob’s house to continue our little chat?” Kikwang pointed out.

“Please, no.” I rejected them flatly.

“Well then. We should go, before it rains. Come on, guys” Hyunseung urged us.

“You guys go ahead… I need to think it over…” I said weakly while rubbing my temples.

“Don’t think too much though” Doojoon advised before leaving hurriedly, in fear of getting caught in the rain.

 

After they left, I ordered a hot chocolate. It always makes me think faster. I stared out of the glass pane, looking at the rain falling onto the ground.

 

‘It’s kind of impossible… I’ve only met her twice. It doesn’t make sense at all!’

 

“It’s her..! Lee Ji Hyun…” I gasped.

 

She didn’t seem to notice my presence in the café. I called out her name but she didn’t react and I thought it was really weird. People are usually sensitive about names and will react immediately to anyone calling their name, don’t they? If so, why did she not turn back when I called her name?


Ji Eun’s POV

 

“Raindrops keep fallin’ on my head, But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red…” I hummed while walking home.

 

I walked home alone in the rain as Ji Hyun had to stay in school for her remedial lessons. I was humming my favourite song when I heard someone calling Ji Hyun’s name.

 

“Ji Hyun’s still in school. So, the Ji Hyun that this person is calling shouldn’t be my Ji Hyun. She wouldn’t skip lessons. She wouldn’t dare.” I smiled and reassured myself that.

“Aish!” I heard someone near me.

 

Just then, I realized someone was grabbing onto my arm. Before I could react, the person started dragging me towards the café.

 

“Let go, let me go!”  I yelled hysterically. “It hurts!”

“Oops, sorry about that” The person said after he sat me down on a chair in the café.

“Oppa. Yang Yoseob oppa…” It’s him.

 

I recognized him right away. The boy who ran away before any promise was made.


Yoseob’s POV

 

“Why are you running in the rain again? Why didn’t you react when I called you?” I demanded.

“I didn’t hear anyone calling me…”

 

‘Should I talk about yesterday?’ I fell into a deep ponder.

 

“Yoseob oppa, is there something you want to say?” Ji Hyun asked me with curious eyes.

 

‘Hmm.. I probably shouldn’t mention a thing.. She’d be embarrassed..’

 

“Nothing.. Just wondering; how have you been..?”

“Not very good.. I’ve been thinking of the lyrics but I can’t come up with any..!” She leaned back and answered in frustration.

“Don’t worry about it, everything will be fine in time” I leaned forward and ruffled her hair.

“Do you have the music sheet? Maybe I can help you with it?” I offered.

“Sure!”


 

“How is it?” She asked cautiously while I was studying the music sheet.

“For the pre-chorus and the verses, you can settle them later. The important part is the chorus. And the mood of the song. For the starting of the chorus, it’ll be better if you use a three-syllabus word, three words, or a ‘oh’ plus two-syllabus word…”

“I never knew there was such deep knowledge incorporated into lyric-writing… Can you start it for me? Pretty please?” She looked at me with pleading eyes.

“Since my exams is over and I have plenty of time, I don’t see why not..” I reacted almost immediately.

“Omoooo you’re the best, Yoseob oppa!”

“But you have to return the favor. There’s no free lunch in this world. Do you really want my help?” I warned her.

“I can’t do it by myself! I’ll try to return the favor, if it’s within my ability..” She replied hesitantly.

“Alright, let me think for a bit..”

“Can I eat my lunch while you think? I haven’t eaten anything yet” She scratched her head and stuck her tongue out.

“Sure, go ahead.”


 

I scanned the streets for inspiration but I found none.

 

“Oppa, don’t you find it weird? We always meet on rainy days. Hehe” She asked when she returned with an ice-cream cake.

“Oh yes, rain!” I exclaimed. “Hmm.. It can be something linked to the rain.”

“Good idea..!” She widened her smile. “On rainy days?”

“Nope, that’s four-syllabus, my dear!” I rejected her idea. “What’s your favorite song?”

“Raindrops keep fallin’ on my head”

“How about ‘Raindrops’? Does it sound alright?”

“But it’s only two-syllabus, it doesn’t match what you said just now about the three-syllabus theory..” She trailed off.

“We can add a ‘oh’ in front or something. You weren’t paying attention, were you?” I teased.

“I was..! Just a little too hungry and I can’t process fast enough. Sorry!” She dug into her cake once again.

“What mood do you want to create for the song anyway? Is it a sad song, happy song, about friendship or just pure love? Have you thought about it?”

“Not really… I just wrote for the sake of writing it. It’s for the music project and nothing special anyway…” She responded nonchalantly.

“Aish! You really should be more serious in this project, little girl”

“Hey, who are you calling little girl? I’m just a year younger, mind you!” She retorted in a defensive tone.

“You” I pointed.

“Stop it, oppa!” she slapped my arm lightly.

“Yah~ How could you do that to me? I’m helping you now, you do remember that right?” I raised the music sheet tauntingly.

“Oh right.. Write the lyrics, oppa. Quit fooling around! There’s only less than two weeks left to the deadline!”

“Yes yes, naggy~” I sang in a childish voice.


 

“It’s getting a little late, I’ve got to go… My mummy’d kill if I’m home later than 9…” She said in a small voice.

“Oh… But it’s still raining”

“It doesn’t matter to me..” She chuckled.

“I’ll send you home. Hold on for a bit!” I ran up to my apartment after packing my bag swiftly.

 

Ji Eun’s POV

 

I sat down and waited for Yoseob oppa.

 

‘Why did he say he’d send me home and run away? Again.’

 

I stood up and prepared to leave. It was then when I realize him making his dash back to the café.

 

“Where do you think you’re going without me?” He asked, still panting heavily.

“I thought you ran away again..” I answered truthfully.

“Why would I? Do you have a…” He stopped.

 

Yoseob’s POV

 

‘Why am I even asking a girl who likes to walk in the rain if she has an umbrella? I’d look so silly!’ I scowled inwardly.

 

“Why did you end your sentence so abruptly? Is there anything you wanna say?”

“Nothing.. I only brought back one umbrella. Should we share it?”

“I don’t need one!” She said in surprise.

“Oh, I forgot. You like walking in the rain.” I reminded myself.

“Get in here” I commanded after opening the umbrella.

“NOOOOO!” She fought back.

“Hurry! I don’t have forever”

“Just go, I’ll follow!” She insisted.

“Aish!”

 

I pulled her under the umbrella with a strong jerk and place my arm around her shoulder so she couldn’t do anything stupid. Like escaping into the rain -_-''

 

“Why are you not struggling anymore?” I yet again. “Do you like it like that?”

“No, i-i-i.. Don’t- I me-ea” She stumbled on her words.

“It’s alright, I can understand” I giggled, earning yet another light elbowing in my stomach.


 

“I reached… Thanks for sending me home, oppa! How do I get back the music sheet? Do I look for you in your school or something?”

“We’ll see… You believe in fate right?”

“But it’s…”

“Hurry home before your mummy scolds you!” I urged her.

“Alright… What if we don’t meet again?” She asked sadly.

“Why? Do you want to see me so badly?”

“No, I mean like my music sheet… My project” She attempted to explain her intentions of asking that question.

“I know, I know. I wonder who’s the one who kept talking about the probability of her mummy killing her for being home late?”

“Oh yes, thanks anyway. For the project and sending me home” She bowed and left after giving me a light wave.

 

‘We’ll definitely meet before I’m done with your song. Probably tomorrow, or the day after. Be patient and give me a little more time, alright?’


Ji Eun's POV

 

‘Why was I so obedient..? I always resisted Hyun’s attempts to get me out of the rain.. Why didn't I do that just now..?’

 

That puzzled me a lot.


 

Happy new year's eve everyone! Another chapter before the end of 2011~ Hope all of you have a good year ahead. And thanks a lot for reading! ^^

P.S. Anyone didn't watch SBS's Gayo Daejun? I was hyperventilating throughout the whole performance! Although I felt it was a little disappointing. It's okay, they're still on the freaking SAME STAGE :') Satisfied diehard-SeobU shipper here. Don't mind me.