Rule #2

The Rules of Survival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rule #2: Keep your friends close, but know when to push them away.

 

            Henry quickly packed his laptop into his carrier and flung it over his shoulder.  “Agents D and E are enroute now,” Henry told Amber. 

            “How close are they?” she asked, biting her lip as she glanced in the mirror.  One of the cars bumped them, trying to steer them off course.  They were going to be overtaken momentarily. 

            Henry looked down at his cellphone.  “My GPS says they’re almost here.”

            “Almost might not be good enough,” she hollered in frustration, struggling to keep the van on the road as the car bumped them again. 

            Henry shoved his phone in his pocket and then reached for his gun.  He wasn’t normally a field agent, so he was unaccustomed to using it on anything other than a target during shooting practice, but if it came down to dying or killing, he knew what he preferred.  Henry cocked his gun and rolled down the window, but just as he was about to start taking aim at the car, two motorcycles came barreling down the road.  He recognized them immediately and sighed in relief, leaning back in his seat.

            “What are you doing?” Amber asked, glancing over at him with a perplexed look. 

            “Like I said, Agents D and E are here.  They’ll take care of this mess now,” he informed her.

            “And what?  I’m supposed to just stop the van and sit back?” she asked.

            “Well…maybe not,” he admitted, glancing out the mirror. 

 

            Eunhyuk raced up the road until he was beside the speeding car behind the van.  Then he slammed on his brakes and skid to a stop.  Despite the fact that they were still racing away from him, they were still well within his range.  He picked up his automatic gun and began to lay into the tires of the car.  They immediately burst open and the vehicle began to skid, sparks flying as the tire frames scraped against the road.  Then he took aim at the car still headed their direction.  His eyes narrowed as he focused on the driver.  One clean shot and the driver dropped.  The car spun out of control and Eunhyuk drove closer before hopping off of his bike and shooting the other men in the car. 

            He then ran over to the car and turned it off to prevent it from moving anymore.  One of the men in the back was coughing up blood.  He aimed his gun at the man, who was clearly digging in his pocket for a weapon, and shot him in the face at point blank range. 

            Meanwhile, Donghae continued to chase after the speeding cars until the one with the blown tires finally came to a rest in the middle of the road.  He stopped in front of the vehicle, raised his gun, and shot the two men inside dead.  He then began to scan the area for more cars or people.  The helicopter he heard in the distance made him nervous and he waved at the occupants of the van to get a move on.

            Amber had pulled over already and rushed out of the van, gun drawn as she walked over to Donghae. 

            “No worries, dear,” he told her, flashing her his wicked smiled.  “They’re good and dead.”

            Amber sighed and put her gun away.  “Thanks, oppa.”

            Donghae turned off of his motorcycle and got off to survey the area.  “We need to get you two the hell out of here though.  I think that chopper may be with them.”

            Henry joined them, frowning as he looked at the blood splatters and bullet holes in the glass.  “What a mess!”

            “Did Agents R and Y get out of Choi Headquarters?” Amber asked.

            Donghae shook his head.  “I don’t know and we’ll worry about that when we get back to NIS.”

            “R had the disc,” she informed him.  “He’s the priority.”

            “Everyone in NIS is a priority, otherwise I wouldn’t have come for you, would I?  I would have gone looking for R instead,” Donghae informed her.  “There isn’t one of us that’s more important than the others.”

            “But in this case,” she argued, “Y would agree with me or else he wouldn’t have sent R away on his own with the disc.  Would he?”

            Donghae frowned and watched as Eunhyuk drove over to where they were.  “No, he wouldn’t have…unless he felt it was important.”

            “M, can you track R using his phone?” Amber asked.

            “I don’t have his number,” Henry informed him.  “Only Max and Agent Y do.”

            “Nah, I have it too,” Eunhyuk said, pulling out his cell phone.  “He just doesn’t like you tracking him.”

            Henry rolled his eyes.
            “I’m not a fan of it either,” Donghae agreed.  “That time I called in and you tracked me at the beach and told Max about it was just plain wrong.”

            “Just doing my job,” Henry stated.  “Which is more than I can say for you.”

            “Who just saved your ?” Donghae questioned.

            “Enough ing,” Eunhyuk said.  “We need to get out of here before reinforcements show up.  Then we’ll worry about finding R and Y.  Get on, Mochi.”

            Donghae got back on his bike and Amber climbed on after him.  “What I don’t understand is how they caught onto us so fast,” Amber said.  “We were only out there a few minutes before R and Y entered the building.  It should have taken them longer.”

            Donghae looked over his shoulder at her as he started up his motorcycle.  “There’s only one explanation.”

            “What’s that?” she asked.

            “They were looking for you.”

            Amber’s lip quivered.  “Does that mean that either L or H are working for them?”

            “Maybe, or it means that they’re onto us.  But I think they didn’t expect us to actually break into the building and get their material.  So, they know they have a spy in their mist, but they don’t know who it is.”

            “If Agent H saw the disc, isn’t he the number one suspect?” she asked.

            Donghae nodded. 

            “If he’s in danger, we need to take him out of there,” she said, growing nervous.

            “You know we can’t,” Donghae said.

            “But—”

            “H knows what he’s doing.  Trust him.”

            When Eunhyuk took off with Henry, Amber tightened her grip around Donghae and he immediately took off, following after them. 

 

            Ryeowook ditched the car when he had a lead on the three cars pursuing him.  He ran into an apartment building and ran up to the roof.  Then he ran across the roof and jumped onto the roof of the next building.  He ran to the next and did it again, but had to roll a bit, as it was a little shorter.  One of the men that had managed to follow him this far was still on the first building.  He never made it to the second.  A couple others did.  Ryeowook ran faster, reaching the edge of the next building, which was taller, but there was a clothing line that led to the next building and Ryeowook took a chance.  He was lightweight and, after all, the alternatives were either to jump down five stories or to wait for the men to catch up to him and fight them all.  He hooked his arms over the line and slid down to the other side, as it was at an angle.  Thankfully, it held and he grasped onto the brick surface and climbed down to an open window one story lower just as his pursuers reached him.  They began to fire at him, but he made it inside before they landed a shot.  He rushed out of the building and took off on foot to the Mouse Rabbit.  He was only about eight blocks away and if he ran hard, he’d make it nearly on time. 

            Ryeowook cut through yards, rushed through buildings, and didn’t stop until he was across the street from the small café.  He sighed in relief as seeing his favorite Chinese woman, nervously looking around for him outside the café.  When their eyes connected, she shook her head in exasperation. 

            “Victoria!” Ryeowook cried out happily, running across the street and kissing her on the cheek as he stole the paper bag she was holding away from her.  “You’re so punctual, as always!”

            “My God, Ryeowook!  I’ve been worried sick!  Just look at you!”

           

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter