Rule #19

The Rules of Survival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yep, you read that right!  I just updated a COMPLETED STORY, which never really happens with me.  But, I thought of a chapter I just had to write.  It takes place nearly six months after the defeat of the Choi Corporation, just before the events at the end, with the group at the party.  Enjoy!

Rule #19: There is no such thing as a former agent.

Nearly six months after the defeat of the Choi Corporation,

            Ryeowook had just gotten back into Seoul a little while ago, having been out of town on a week-long investigation, and had returned to the office to catch up on his messages and voicemails.  His luggage was still sitting in the trunk of his car, waiting to be unpacked, but he just wanted to get a few things finished before returning home.  Kyuhyun was always complaining that he worked too much, but he had complained even more when Ryeowook informed him that he’d be out of town for a week.

            Almost every night, Kyuhyun called him up to ask him when he’d be coming home.  Until last night.  Ryeowook had been complaining to Yesung about how Kyuhyun called all the time, but then started to worry the one night he didn’t.  So, first thing in the morning, Ryeowook called his boyfriend to inform him that he’d be home by dinnertime and Kyuhyun insisted that they eat dinner together, since they’d been away from each other so long.  It seemed perfectly normal.  Ryeowook knew he shouldn’t wonder about the one night that Kyuhyun hadn’t called him, but he just couldn’t let it go.

            Long after finishing with his emails and voice messages, he starred at his computer screen.  He knew he shouldn’t be doing what he was doing.  It was a bad habit and he couldn’t justify his actions, but it was a habit that he couldn’t break himself off.  He’d activated a GPS tracking app on Kyuhyun’s phone, shortly after they’d moved in together and had gotten in the habit of checking in on his boyfriend every day without his knowing.  He kept promising himself that he would stop—Kyuhyun never did anything that he would question—but he never did. 

            Nearly every night, Kyuhyun would leave NIS and go directly home.  If he made any other stops, it would be to pick up dinner because Ryeowook wasn’t going to be home at a decent hour, visit his parents, or stopped by Changmin’s house to play video games. 

            Kyuhyun never altered his behavior.  Until last night.  When Kyuhyun failed to call him, Ryeowook pulled out his computer and checked Kyuhyun’s location.  He was outside an apartment in Seocho.  In fact, his location didn’t move for so long, Ryeowook wondered if he hadn’t left his cellphone in his car.  Was he in the apartment?  Or someplace close?  It was nearly two in the morning when Kyuhyun finally returned home.  But when Ryeowook asked his boyfriend what he’d done the night before, he claimed he’d fallen asleep watching movies early.

            Ryeowook probably would have let it go at that, were it not for the fact his boyfriend was currently in a jewelry store.  Why was he in a jewelry store?

            “You need to stop spying on him,” Yesung warned his partner, standing right behind him and peering down at the computer screen.

            Ryeowook turned around and waved his hand in front of the monitor.  “He’s buying jewelry!”

            “You don’t know that.  He might be on assignment,” Yesung pointed out.

            “Kyu swears to me that he does nothing more than sit behind a desk all day.  Either he’s lying about the nature of his work—which I’d kill him over—or he’s sneaking around to buy jewelry!”

            “He probably has a good explanation for this, but how are you going to find that out?  You’re tracking his phone using GPS that he doesn’t know you’ve installed on his cellphone.  You can’t possibly ask him about it without giving away that you’re watching him,” Yesung pointed out.  “Unless you check his account to see if he used his card there.”

            Ryeowook covered his face with his hands.  Kyuhyun had given Ryeowook access to his banking account months ago, when he needed to pay some online bills, and he hadn’t bothered changing any of the passwords to access the account since.  Ryeowook knew this because he checked periodically to see if it still worked. 

            Ryeoeook pulled up Kyuhyun’s bank account and typed in the password.  Sure enough, he’d used his card at the jewelry store.  But not only had he used it, he’d spent a small fortune on whatever he’d just bought. 

            Yesung whistled from behind his partner.  “I was going to suggest that perhaps he was buying his mother or sister a present for their birthday, but no one spends that much money on a relative.  Right?  Or am I a bad son?”

            Ryeowook shook his head.  “No.  No one spends that much on their mother.  Damn.”

            “Are you sure he’s not buying you something?”

            “Such as?”

            “Is it your anniversary?” he questioned.

            “No,” Ryeowook sadly admitted.  “We’ve only been together about six months.  It’s not my birthday, it’s not an anniversary, there’s no holiday coming up.”

            “That doesn’t mean he’s cheating, you know.”

            Ryeowook looked back at Yesung.  “I wasn’t implying that he was cheating.”

            “Well…good.”

            “Why?  Do you think he is?”

            Yesung ruffled his hair and walked back to his desk.  “No.  I don’t think Kyu is cheating.  But I do think you need to have a long conversation with your boyfriend about telling the truth.”

            “I agree!  He needs to tell me what’s going on!”

            “I meant you,” Yesung said, going back to work.  He began typing into his computer.  “You are no longer a spy, Ryeowook, and you shouldn’t be watching every move Kyu makes when he hasn’t given you a reason not to trust him.”

            Ryeowook felt terrible.  He quickly turned off the GPS tracker and logged out of Kyuhyun’s bank account.  Seconds later, his cellphone started to ring and he looked down to see that it was Kyuhyun calling.  A wave of guilt washed over him as he answered the phone. 

            “Hey.”

            “Hi!  Done working yet?”

            “Yeah, I just finished,” Ryeowook mumbled. 

            “Is something wrong?”

            “I’m just having an off day.  I have jetlag from travelling and I’m cranky from being away so long.”

            “I’m cranky about you being gone so long too,” Kyuhyun confessed.  “Which is why I want to know where you want to meet for dinner.  I haven’t seen you in a week!  I miss you!”

            Ryeowook smiled.  Wasn’t it a good sign if his boyfriend wanted to have dinner with him?  Or was that just so they could be in a public setting when Kyuhyun gave him bad news.  Kyuhyun knew how many weapons Ryeowook kept at the house.  He knew it would be dangerous to piss him off at home.  His smile began to falter. 

            “What if I’m not in the mood to go out?”

            “We can eat at home, if you want.  I don’t feel like sharing you with everyone else anyway.  I’ll pick us up something so you don’t have to cook dinner.  All right?”  Kyuhyun still sounded sincere, as if he were eager to see Ryeowook after their long absence.

            “Sure.”

            “But you have to promise to be home on time and not to stay late,” Kyuhyun lectured him.

            “I promise.”

            “Good.  I’ll see you in an hour.”

            “All right,” Ryeowook agreed.

            “I love you.”

            Ryeowook took a deep breath.  Hearing those words always put him at ease.  “I love you, too.”

            Yesung looked across the room at him.  “Dinner plans?”

            Ryeowook nodded, jumping out of his seat and heading for the door.  He grabbed his jacket off the coat rack and began to button it up.  Just fighting traffic through downtown to get home could take him the entire hour.  “If anyone calls, take a message.  If I call, remember to bring the shovel.”

            Yesung laughed.  “You will not be burying your boyfriend in the woods tonight.”

            “If I find out that he’s cheating, I will be.”

            “And what if he finds out that you’re spying on him for no reason?” Yesung argued. 

            “I’m just doing it so I can keep an eye on him.”

            Yesung gave him a dumbfounded look.  “He isn’t going to fall for that excuse, even if he isn’t an agent like you or I were.  We both know the reason you keep such a close eye on him is because you’re afraid of getting hurt.”

            Ryeowook fell back against the door and closed his eyes.  Deep down, he knew Yesung was right.  So many people had let him down in the past.  Even Victoria had turned against him and she had always been like a sister to him.  But Kyuhyun had never given him a reason to question anything he’d ever done.  He had to quit spying on his boyfriend, if they were ever going to have a future together.  Ryeowook had to put his trust into someone. 

 

            Fifty minutes later, Ryeowook walked through the door of their downtown apartment.  He closed the door and quickly removed his coat and shoes, instantly noticing the subdued lighting and the soft music playing in the background.  Was it possible that Kyuhyun was trying for a romantic atmosphere?  As he headed into the dining room, he found Kyuhyun pouring glasses of wine. 

            Kyuhyun lit up when he saw Ryeowook and rushed over to him, lifting him up off his feet and kissing him breathless.  “I missed you!” Kyuhyun finally said, still holding him close.

            “So did I,” Ryeowook assured him. 

            He kissed Ryeowook several more times.  “You’re not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter