Rule #4

The Rules of Survival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rule #4: Never judge a book by its cover.  Not all people are what they first appear to be.

 

            Kyuhyun now kept one eye on the sky.  It seemed safer than watching Ryeowook try to kill them with his driving.  He was weaving in and out of traffic at dangerous speeds, trying to evade the helicopters that they could hear, but were still out of sight.  It was only a matter of time before they tracked them down.  The only reason they hadn’t yet was because the people driving had lost them and couldn’t relay their location accurately to the pilots. 

            “Left,” Ryeowook shouted and Kyuhyun quickly leaned left as Ryeowook turned right. 

            If his heart wasn’t beating like mad, he would have wondered if it had stopped a few times already.  Especially when the agent swerved for a cat, of all things.  He’d killed two men in the alley.  Why was he wasting his time and endangering their lives by dodging animals?

            “When I stop, we need to ditch the bike and you need to follow me.  Running,” Ryeowook stipulated.  “We only have one shot to make it out of here.”

            “We can’t leave Seoul without the disc and a proper computer.”

            “I can get you a computer,” Ryeowook told him.

            “No,” Kyuhyun said, shaking his head.  “It’s got to be completely untraceable.  The kind a hacker would use.  They are equipped a little different than your average computer.  If we don’t, they’ll be able to track our location.  I have one at my apartment.”

            “If we go to your apartment, we’ll die.  Choi’s men are waiting for you there.”

            “I have one at my parents’ house as well,” he informed the agent.

            “They’re monitoring their house.  You can’t show up or call them,” Ryeowook told him.  “But I have connections.  You’re right though, we can’t leave Seoul without the disc and computer.  We also can’t go back to NIS Headquarters.  They’ll be waiting for me to head there with you.  I have another connection…a computer whiz…runs a shady business.  He’d probably have what you need.”

            Kyuhyun nodded, although he knew the agent couldn’t see him. 

            “It will take me at least a day or two.  I don’t create a code and then look at it, you know.  I just know the method used to encrypt it.”

            “That’s still a hell of a lot faster than the never-gonna-happen that our tech experts were estimating,” Ryeowook shouted over his shoulder, cutting down another alleyway. 

            Just then, Kyuhyun heard the chopper fly overhead.  “I think they saw us.”

            “Are you sure?  I don’t have the headlight on,” Ryeowook said. 

            “Their spotlight hit us,” he warned the agent.

            Ryeowook gunned it and sped around the corner, going away from the chopper, but they could hear it coming back around.  “Yeah, it saw us,” Ryeowook said, letting out a string of curses. 

            “Do you think they have guns?”

            “I’m positive they have guns, so we have to stick to tight places where they don’t have a clear shot,” he warned, heading back onto the sidewalk and under a bunch of store awnings. 

            Kyuhyun tightened his hold on the agent.  “This doesn’t look safe.”

            “Neither does having a machine gun blasting at you from the sky.  And I’m not very good at hitting flying objects from a distance, so shooting the gunner down isn’t an option.  Not that I plan on standing still for them.  I highly suggest you don’t either,” Ryeowook snapped.

            “Why are you so angry?” Kyuhyun asked. 

            “Because people are trying to kill me for the second time today and it makes me cranky,” Ryeowook shot back.  “Trust me, I’m real sweet when you get to know me.”

            “Right,” Kyuhyun said, then quickly ducking his head when he realized they were heading under a low sign.  “Are you sure you’re not trying to kill me too?”

            “Pay attention to the road!  I can only do so much in trying to save your today.  You might have to do a little of the work yourself.”

            Kyuhyun could still hear the chopper overhead and saw the lights shining near them.  “They’ve spotted us, R!”

            “Just what I was hoping you’d tell me,” Ryeowook sarcastically said. 

            Just then, there was a hailing of gunfire and Kyuhyun shrieked.  “!”

            “Even better,” Ryeowook exclaimed, braking and throwing the motorcycle into reverse.  Then he stopped it again, when they’d created just enough distance to confuse the pilot of the chopper, and he hopped off the bike.  “Time to run!”

            Kyuhyun rushed after Ryeowook as he cut between two buildings and partway down the alley.  They hopped over a fence—Kyuhyun was shocked the manhunt didn’t end right there with him breaking a leg—and headed towards the river. 

            “We have about half a kilometer to run!” Ryeowook told him.  “And we need to make it there in two minutes.”

            “What?  Are you insane?” he hollered. 

            “And we have to avoid being detected by the choppers,” Ryeowook reminded him.  “So run faster.”

            Ryeowook picked up his speed and raced along the street towards their meeting spot.  Kyuhyun didn’t even know who they were meeting or what they were headed towards, but he knew that not following the agent wasn’t an option.  He could barely keep up with the trained professional, who kept pace easily and looked all around them to make sure the coast was clear.  Somehow, miraculously, Kyuhyun managed to make it to the spot in two minutes, because Ryeowook suddenly grasped his arm and stopped him, pulling him back into the shadows. 

            “We need to get on that ship.”

            “We can’t leave Seoul,” Kyuhyun said, still hyperventilating.

            “I know, it’s just a tour boat that floats up and down the river, but we need to lose the people after us.  This was the best I could come up with.”

            Kyuhyun could suddenly hear the sound of motorcycles close by and looked around. 

            “Those

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter