Rule #10

The Rules of Survival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rule #10: Keep your word.  Unless you don’t like what you promised.

 

Earlier that afternoon…

            After hours on the road without stopping and no sign of being followed, Ryeowook finally reached a small town just south of Boryeong, still hugging the shoreline.  There wasn’t much to it—a few shops, a couple restaurants, a gas station—and then they were headed down the scenic road again. 

            “We’re almost there,” Ryeowook said, relaxing back into his seat.

            “Where?” Kyuhyun asked, peeking at the ocean through the trees. 

            Ryeowook didn’t answer him.  After a couple minutes, he turned down a small dirt road, dense with trees on both sides as it led closer to the water’s edge.  Finally, they pulled up to a building surrounded by a white stone wall and Ryeowook got out of the car and walked over to the side of the heavy wooden doors.  He punched in a number into a keypad on the wall and the doors slowly began to open.  Then he headed back to the car and drove them into the walled off area. 

            After parking just inside, Ryeowook turned off the car and got out again.  He nodded for Kyuhyun to get out as well.  Kyuhyun quickly followed and grabbed his bags from the back seat.  Then he began to look around at the small manicured lawn and a winding stone path leading up to a small house.  There was a garden off to the side with vegetables, flowers growing in patches and in pots around the yard, and a pond near a wooden porch off the side of the house.  Ryeowook walked down the path to the front door and Kyuhyun had to break into a jog to catch up to him.

            “Where are we?”

            Ryeowook glanced back at him as he reached the door, digging out his keys.  “My house.”

            “You have a house?”

            Ryeowook nodded as he unlocked the door and then pushed it open.  “Yeah.”

            “Is this where you stay when you’re not working?”

            “No.  I have an apartment in Seoul.”

            Kyuhyun glanced around as he walked in and ditched his shoes and bags in the front hall, taking in the cream colored walls and couch as he walked into the living room, the pale blue and purple colors of the throw pillows and abstract pictures hanging on the wall, and the faint smell of the sea in the air.  The sun was shining through large windows and he walked over to them.  The house was built on a cliff overlooking the ocean and the view was breathtaking as the waves crashed against the rocks below. 

            “No one at the agency knows about this house…with one exception,” Ryeowook told Kyuhyun, joining him at the window.  “This house is meant for me alone.  The people around here just know me as Kim Ryeowook, the rare times I come to visit.”

            “Why did you bring me here?” Kyuhyun asked, his heart beating in double time as he soaked in the essence of the real Ryeowook all around him.  The realization that his protector had brought him to his private sanctuary meant something.  Didn’t it?

            “Because it’s the safest place for you to work,” Ryeowook answered, looking down at his feet.

            Kyuhyun turned to look at him, staring at his suddenly bashful host.  “Why did you really bring me here?”

            “What do you think?”

            Kyuhyun reached up to cup Ryeowook’s face, forcing him to lock eyes with him once again, and then he leaned in to kiss the agent.  This time, there was no resistance from him.  Instead, Ryeowook kissed him back, over and over, and then eagerly pulled him towards his bedroom, further back in the house.  And Kyuhyun willingly followed. 

 

Early evening…

            Donghae drove the motorcycle into an abandoned parking ramp where Eunhyuk was waiting for them, his gun drawn, waiting for their pursuers.  Donghae pulled up beside him, where he was perched behind a barricade with a couple dozen police officers. 

            “I hope you brought more reinforcements than this,” Donghae quietly remarked.

            “I’m no idiot,” Eunhyuk assured him.  “We have undercover officers around the perimeter of this ramp, waiting to surround them once they’re inside.  Shindong and his men are going down.  Today!”

            Donghae sighed heavily and took out his gun, kneeling down behind the barricade behind his partner, ready to fire. 

            “Where’s Sungmin?”

            “I dropped him off along the way so he could figure out who’s tracking R,” Donghae informed him.

            “Who is he checking first?”

            “The most likely subject.”

            Eunhyuk spared his partner a quick glance.  “Mochi.”

            “I really hope it’s not the kid,” Donghae said, his eyes trained on the ramp entrance as he heard car tires screeching. 

            “I hope we’re wrong somehow and it isn’t anyone, but what are the chances?”

            Donghae shook his head.  They he began shooting as the cars came into range.

 

            Sungmin rappelled down the skyscraper until he was at the window of Henry’s apartment.  Then he took out his gun and shot out the glass in the bedroom window before jumping into the room, gun drawn and ready to fire.  Henry shrieked in fright and rolled out of bed, tangled in his blankets.  “Don’t shoot!  Don’t shoot!  I’m unarmed!”

            Sungmin looked around the dark room.  The computers were all turned off in the corner.  He sighed heavily and put his gun away.  “Where you napping?”

            Henry was starting to cry as he peered out from under his blankets at Sungmin.  “Minnie?  Is that you?”

            “Yeah.  Get up,” Sungmin said, removing the tie to his harness.  “I’m not going to hurt you.”

            “Wh-what are you d-doing here?” Henry asked, finally managing to stand up, although he looked rather shaken up. 

            “I thought that you might be tracking Kyuhyun and Agent R, but apparently you’re not,” Sungmin realized, angry at himself.  “Not if you’re sleeping.  Tell me, who else can track the NIS phones we issued them with the GPS tracker?  Amber?”

            Henry nodded.  “Why?”

            “Someone’s giving away their location to Siwon’s lackey, Shindong,” Sungmin informed him.

            “It’s not Amber,” Henry insisted.  “Half the time she spends the night here.  I would know if she were working for Siwon.”

            “You two romantically involved?”

            “Yeah,” Henry admitted.

            “That’s not a very smart idea, you know.  Makes you soft.  That’s why I left the business.”

            “No one would ever call you soft, hyung.”

            Sungmin smiled at this.  He knew he was still damn good.  “Where is Amber now?”

            “Probably at her apartment with Victoria.  If Victoria is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter