Rule #1

The Rules of Survival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rule #1: Always have a plan B…and C and D and E.  E means Escape.  If you have to resort to plan E, you better move fast and shoot straight.

 

            Director Shim Changmin looked over the file in his hands.  Agents Ryeowook and Yesung sat in seats across the desk from him, awaiting his orders as they sipped their coffees.  It was ungodly early, after all.  Even the sun wasn’t up yet.

            “As you know, we’ve suspected for some time that Choi Siwon not only heads one of the most successful pharmaceutical companies in South Korea, but that he also heads the largest underground crime organization, the Omega Operation, especially tied to drug and trafficking.  After years of attempting to take him down to no avail, the government finally asked us to handle the situation.  It only took a few weeks for Agents L and H to infiltrate the main offices of President Choi and we’ve found something of interest we think may have links to all of their contacts.”

            “What is it?” Ryeowook asked, leaning forward.

            “It’s a disc.  Agent H saw President Choi placing it in his drawer last night before he went home and thinks it may contain a list of all his contacts.  Of course, I don’t want to have either H or L make a move and expose themselves, in case it’s nothing.  I’d rather send one of you in.”

            “Should we go in at night?” Yesung asked.

            “No,” Changmin said, shaking his head.  “The building is locked down like a fortress at night.  The easiest time to access the building is in broad daylight.”

            “How?” Ryeowook asked.

            “I will send you two in as cleaners with some clearances I’ve managed to get fudged from Agent L.  The head of security takes his lunch precisely at one o’clock every afternoon and this dimwitted little twit—Agent H’s description—takes over for him for a half hour, monitoring the cameras around the top floors, including Choi’s office.  Apparently, the dumb boy falls asleep half the time.  This time, H is going to slip something into his drink to ensure he sleeps well and doesn’t notice you in the boss’s office.”

            “I’m sure he’ll be sleeping good and sound after that,” Yesung laughed.  “And six feet under.”

            “Probably,” Changmin said.  “Bloke probably has no clue that his boss is the country’s scariest crime lord though.  It’s too bad for him.  Moving on…Siwon happens to be in a meeting at a different company for the afternoon and won’t be in the building.  Agent H is his secretary and will conveniently take lunch during that hour.  You will only have a half hour total, from start to finish.  I have the blueprints of the building for you to look over.  Choi’s office is on the 36th floor.  Your only ally in the building will be Agent L, on the 13th floor, but I’d rather you not expose him if you don’t need to.  But we need to get the disc, no matter what.”

            Ryeowook and Yesung nodded.

            “And I’ll send Agents M and A to monitor your movements in the van and to keep in contact with you while you’re inside.  We can’t afford to mess this up.  That’s why I’m sending you.”

            “We’ll get the disc,” Ryeowook promised.  He looked at his wrist watch.  It was only five, which gave them several hours to make their plans.  Changmin had woken him in the wee hours of the morning to drag him in for this, knowing that the disc might not be there the next day.  They had to act quick and decidedly.  And there was no room for errors.  This was the chance they’d been waiting for for several months now. 

 

            Ryeowook and Yesung pulled up in two lookalike vans.  Ryeowook got out of his and walked over to the back of Yesung’s van, ready to help him unload their cleaning supplies.  Ryeowook’s van contained Agents M and A. 

            “Can you hear me, R?”

            “Loud and clear, Mochi,” Ryeowook told Henry.  That was their nickname for the kid.  He couldn’t be called Agent H, after all, since they already had one.

            “How about you, Y?”

            “Yep,” Yesung said, grunting as he heaved a cart off the back of his van.  Ryeowook began to help him move supplies onto it as they awaited word from Agent H that the coast was clear.  They made themselves look busy, adjusting things for a couple minutes.

            “What if something goes wrong?” Ryeowook questioned.

            “Then stick to the plan,” Yesung said, his voice firm and confident.

            Ryeowook took a deep breath.  Most of the people they went after were not as organized and deadly as the Omega Operation.  Usually they were small time drug dealers or white collar criminals, like corporate funds smugglers.  A few were spies for North Korea.  There was a measure of danger, certainly, but their arms did not extend as far as the Omega Operation. 

            And this danger was not new to Ryeowook.  He’d already lost one partner to them when he was acting as a spy in China two years ago.  Zhou Mi and he had taken out several arms of the Omega Operation in China back then, only finding out their ties to the larger organization later.  Unfortunately, their identities were eventually uncovered and only he had made it out alive with the help of a young Chinese woman.  She was working for the Choi Corporation’s partner in China and was unknowingly aiding in the underground crime organizations that had also inadvertently killed her parents.  Once she discovered the truth, she became just as determined to take them down as Ryeowook was.  She now worked for the Korean National Intelligence Service, although she wasn’t an agent.

            “Stay focused,” Yesung demanded.

            Ryeowook nodded.  Yesung knew all about his history with the Omega Operation and how he’d lost his first partner while working in China.  There was an unspoken understanding between them about it.  Yesung knew that he’d have to keep Ryeowook from acting a little foolishly out of vengeance.  And Ryeowook would take greater care in not losing anyone else to the damn group of criminals again.  He would take them down, even if it was the last thing he did.

            They both happened to turn their heads as a gorgeous woman walked out of the building at precisely one o’clock.  Her auburn hair curled and styled, her name brand dress caressing her toned, skinny legs as she seemed to float on red high heels towards the waiting limousine. 

            “I can’t believe how convincing he is,” Yesung said, shaking his head.

            “If I didn’t know any better, I could swear he was a woman,” Ryeowook agreed.

            “Do you think he has the boss man fooled?”

            “Undoubtedly,” Ryeowook said, watching as the long, black car drove past them. 

            “That’s our cue, boys,” Agent M informed them.
            “Boys?” Yesung questioned, rolling the cart towards the main entrance.  “Who the hell do you think you’re calling boys, boy?”

            “Sorry, hyung.  Now quit talking to me or that will look a little suspicious.”

            Yesung turned to face Ryeowook, who was carrying some mops.  “It will simply look like I’m talking to my business partner.”

            “It will look weird if he isn’t answering you, Y.  Try to talk to me as little as possible.”

            “Fine,” he huffed, approaching the door. 

            Security stopped them just inside the doors.  “Where are you heading?”

            “Conference Rooms, 33rd and 34th floors,” Yesung informed them, handing them his paperwork.  The guard looked it over and then verified something in his computer.  Then he waved them through, handing them passes which they clipped to their work shirts.  One of the guards instructed them to head to a back elevator, which they headed towards.  It would actually serve them better, as it was only used by the caterers and cleaning staff.  They would likely be alone in the elevator.  They would stop at the 34th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter