A beating heart

Hello, Goodbye
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Uhh.. boyfriend..? I don't remember having a boyfriend. Oh! I do remember rejecting several guys! I'm sorry I had to reject y-"

"I was joking about the boyfriend part." Hyunwoo squinted at her. "You really don't remember me at all, huh. I even texted you two years ago, but you stopped replying."

He waited for an answer but Jieun looked hopelessly confused. He spoke up, "We had playdates when we were kids. We were ten years old, so I guess you wouldn't remember. Our fathers were business partners along with another man, but I don't where he went..."

He paused for a moment and stared at Jieun. She still looked confused, with her brown eyes staring at Hyunwoo's. "What," he breathed, raising an eyebrow. He noticed he still had his body close to her's and immediately took a step back. Jieun didn't realize that but she felt like she could breathe easier that way.

"My dad doesn't run a company? I mean, I don't even know what he does. He keeps it a secret," she said, still looking confused.

"Oh." Hyunwoo looked disappointed. "How's Jungkook?"

Jieun squinted at him. "Jungkook? Who's that?"

Hyunwoo looked worried. What...?? What happened to her. What happened when I left?

"Are you talking about Taehyung? My brother is doing good- if that's what you're talking about."

"No-"

"Hoseok oppa!! He's doing well. He just hangs out with the wrong people that's all."

"Jieun!!" Hyunwoo looked so worried. "Jieun.. you, Jungkook and I were close friends before I moved. I know he stayed here. Where is he? What happened?"

She felt so awkward in this position. She hated feeling pressured for something she had no idea of. Jieun could feel tension rise in her and she wanted to leave before screaming at a stranger. "Um.. Hyunwoo.. I really don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry. And um.. you're scaring me.. I'm sorry... I'll go."

Jieun slowly hid her arm behind her back and grabbed the handle to open the door; she was able to exit through the door quickly before Hyunwoo had the chance to stop her.

"What happened... we even exchanged phone numbers.. but they stopped texting me two years ago and changed their numbers without telling me. Wait..." Hyunwoo's face looked utterly defeated.

"What happened two years ago that made them so different?"

~

Jieun was the first to arrive in the classroom for her vocal club after school had ended. The room was small, empty and quiet, but she soon filled it with music. She took out her guitar case from the closet and opened it on a nearby table. She then proceeded to sit down on a chair and gently strum a familiar tune and sang for awhile. Jieun loved singing; it made her feel free and it was overall relaxing. She smiled softly and continued to play but she felt something was wrong.

"Looks like you can remember how to play our songs but not me."

Jieun turned her singing into screaming. She quickly closed her eyes tightly and covered her face in hopes she didn't see the ghost and that he would disappear. She was beyond scared; she didn't want him to appear before her again. She hated the fact that there was nobody to help her, Jieun didn’t know what to do. A ghost in broad daylight? Impossible.

"Y-you!!" she yelled. "What do you want from me!! I'm sorry for yelling!! I-I'm just scared!!"

"Please be calm, Jieun. Please open your eyes.."

She peeked through her fingers that covered her face and she immediately closed her eyes again when she saw the boy. I can’t believe it, no, no!

 

Jieun continued to cover her eyes with her hand for she was in complete denial. She wanted this to go away, she didn’t want deal with ghosts. After several minutes had passed, she mustered up her courage and Jieun then had managed to open one eye: she saw that the boy had one knee down to be on the same level as her. He had calm but such sad eyes. He whispered her name again, as if he pitied her, "Oh, Jieun... Jieun..." His hands were placed on his thighs and she could see them trembling.

"Jieun. I need your help. Please be brave right now."

"I-I..." Jieun removed her hand from her face and forced her eyes to open; this boy... she really thought he was a human. "Please forgive me...!!"

She stood up quickly from her chair and looked down at the boy. He looked confused for a second and when he tilted his head, the earrings on his earlobe shook. Jieun was trembling in fear and clenched her fists tightly. Within a second, she closed her eyes tightly and punched his face.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter