iv. arrangements (teaser)

☀ the princesses' exchange ; the tales of two kingdoms

"Lu Han!" No response.

"Lu Han!" Rushed steps were heard until there was a soft knock on her door.

"Princess Jangmi, may I enter?" The princess didn't say anything but the Chinese butler entered the room anyway.

"Princess Jang-"

"Where were you? Do you know what time it is? I woke up 8 minutes later than usual today. 8 minutes! I had to be waken up by one of the maids. The new ones! I don't know what I'm gonna do with you, Lu Han. Seriously! You're starting to slack off. And do you know how that's going to affect my image as a princess of Sevein?" The more Jangmi talked, the more Lu Han started to doze off. This girl seriously needed to stop frowning and screaming all the time before she starts losing her hair and her sanity because he for sure is losing both bit by bit.

"Yes, yes. I understand, Princess. It will not happen again. It is my mistake and it is all my fault." He replied, attempting to cut her off. He's used this sentence so many times with her before but she doesn't seem to notice or pay any heed to it. Slowly cooling off, the princess sat up straight.

"Where's breakfast?"

"I was actually making it before you called me up here."

"Whatever it is, I want a new one. God knows what has infected it while you were up here. Go and finish it."

"Yes, Princess." He said, leaving the room. She got off the bed and went to the washroom.

"Lu Han!" The said man rushed back into the bedroom.

"Why isn't my bath drawn yet? You're useless!" 

Across of Jangmi's room was where her younger sister, Saebyeol stayed in. She got out of her room to give her bratty older sister a piece of her mind.

"Hey sis? Will you shut the hell up? It's 8 in the morning and I have to leave for some stupid meeting in Hong Kong at noon and I'm trying to get some rest here. So, if you would be so ing kind to not scream for the next hour and a half, I'd be very, very grateful." She smiled sarcastically while rolling her eyes and slamming the door shut. Jangmi scoffed and Lu Han snorted, trying to surpress his laughter while drawing her bath. He added some lavendar bath salts into the bathtub.

"Do you want me to finish up your breakfast or wait for you?"

"Why do you keep asking me that? You've worked for me for the past eight years. You should know by now." Lu Han had his back turned to her as Jangmi undressed herself and got into the bath. Her muscles instantly relaxed once the warm water and lavendar bath salts came in contact with her body.

"You know, I still don't know why you insist that I accompany you while you bathe."

"For emergencies."

"Of what kind, exactly?"

"Oh, you know. Fighting off psycho murderers or assassins who were probably assigned to kill me off. Or distracting ghosts, evil spirits, or demons while I make a run for it."

"You do know that what you just said will never happen, right?"

"Not only that, I need you here to get medical assistance if I were to like, get a or a heart attack or something like that, you know?"

"You wouldn't mind if I saw you ?" He teased and she reciprocrated by splashing some soapy water on his white uniform dress shirt.

He flinched and he almost turned to face her. "What was that for?"

"Indecency. Get my robe."

Lu Han took Jangmi's robe from the towel cupboard in the bathroom. He approached the tub and held the robe open while he had his eyes closed. Jangmi stepped out from the tub and slipped her arms through the armholes of the Egyptian cotton robe. She covered herself and tied a knot in front.

"Do you want me to dress you first or do you want me to make breakfast?"

"Call Alma here and go make breakfast."

"Very well." Lu Han bowed to her and left the room. He rushed down the staircase to notify the maid.

"Alma, Princess Jangmi requires you right now." The old maid instantly frowned. She set aside the bag of laundry she previously had in her hands.

"I've got to hand it to you, Lu Han. I don't know how you managed to handle her for eight years when I've been working here ever since King Cho was in his early twenties." She wiped her hands with a rag before slowly heading upstairs.

Truthfully speaking, Lu Han didn't know how he handled Jangmi either. He went back to the kitchen to finish preparing Jangmi's breakfast. She wasn't very particular when it came to food but she had this odd preference to not have repeated dishes. Lu Han was racking his brain as he didn't know what to prepare since he wasn't a cook to begin with. He was a butler, for crying out loud but it wasn't like he could do or say anything considering his somewhat hefty monthly income. Guess there were some perks in being favoured by that brat after all. After what felt like an eternity to him, he finally decided on making her a classic baked ziti dish.

He prepared the ingredients for about ten minutes before inserting the dish into the preheated oven. He was sitting in front of the oven, watching the dish until another butler tapped him on his shoulder. And he wasn't just any butler. He was the the King's butler, in fact.

"Oh, Jaesuk. What are you doing here? Do you need my help in anything?"

"Actually, no. King Cho wants to see you."

"King Cho?" Lu Han gulped, feeling a little intimidated. As far as he knew, he hasn't slacked off or done anything worthy of being called by the King so he couldn't help but worry that he has done something wrong. "What for?"

"I'm not too sure myself. You should go. He's in his study."

"B-but, I have a ziti dish in the oven. I wouldn't want it to burn. Princess Jangmi would have my head." Jaesuk sighed before waving over to the sous chef of the castle. "Watch the dish. Take it out when it has to be taken out. Now go, Lu Han." 

Lu Han stood up and bowed to the older man. "Yes, sir." 

As he was making his way to the King's personal study, his hands started sweating and he would wipe them on the side of his pants every few seconds. His throat started to close up and his eye started twitching. Just some of the things that would happen to him when he was extremely nervous. His hands were shaking against the wooden door as he "attempted" to knock.

"Who is it?" that voice never failed to send a chill down Lu Han's spine.

"Um, i-it's me, Your Royal Highness. Lu Han? I'm Princess Jangmi's personal butler and you asked for me?"

"Come in and close the door as you enter." Lu Han chanted a silent prayer to any God who was willing to listen/answer to it as he slowly opened the door. He shut it behind him as he timidly and slowly approached the King's study table.

"Have a seat." Lu Han was hesitant but he obeyed anyway. 

"Do you know why I called you here?"
Lu Han shook his head in response.

"Have you heard of Caeria? One of the neighbouring kingdoms?" Refusing to say anything in fear of saying the wrong thing, Lu Han nodded.

"You're a man of few words, aren't you?" The King questioned and Lu Han tensed up but he was fortunate that he didn't push further.

"Well, I plan to marry off my children to the children of King Song Seungwoo and Queen Song Hyesu for multiple reasons and since Jangmi favours you so much, I thought that you should be assigned to follow her to Sevein next week. And you know how she is, don't you? Try to talk some sense into her, clean up her act a bit. You have my permission to do so and if she disrespects you in any way, you are welcome to inform me. Your personal schedule would be free, right?" Lu Han nodded.

"Good, I believe that calls for a raise. Do you feel the same way?"

Lu Han was unsure of how to react and answer to that.

"By all means, Your Royal Highness, I feel as if the pay you give me is sufficient enough. Although a raise is desirable, I'm content with what you have given me and I'm very thankful."

The King smirked musingly upon hearing his words. 

"Good answer. No wonder Jangmi likes you so much. I'll add in a vacation for the next lunar new year for you too. You're dismissed."

Lu Han stood up, bowed to the King and left the room. He released the breath he had subconciously been holding. The study was big but Lu Han felt suffocated in the King's presence. Maybe it was a peasant thing, who knows? Then, Lu Han thought about the trip. Jangmi getting married? He chuckled to himself. The poor prince wouldn't know what he's going to get himself into.

 

 

***

A/N:

Fourth teaser already, wowie. Honestly, I have to hand it to myself because this is the most dedication and fun I've had towards writing a fic HAHA. Congrats to Jangmi a.k.a KimHyojin! I had fun writing this teaser but I'm sorry if it was too Lu Han centric ;__; And, I don't know if you guys noticed but the teasers aren't in chronological order either. I know it's kinda messy but I just write on whatever idea that comes to me tbh so I hope it's okay HAHA. I've also been reading all of your comments and I'm so thankful for the support and your nice words never fail to bring a smile on to my face huhu

Also, tiny little PSA for the chosen applicants, I hope its okay if I made slight alterations/changes to your app heh. But do tell me if you're not okay with it either!