Chapter 30: Two different worlds.

The playboy

In this world they were two types of thing Myungsoo was more than confident about. His photography skills and his confidence to overcome anything. At least in a professional aspect. What he excelled poorly on was everything emotion related. He wouldn’t say he was the sensitive type but he was only human so pain was something he disliked. Well, who wouldn’t dislike pain really? Unless you’re masochist who wants to really feel pain. Myungsoo really couldn’t believe he was simply giving up like this. Is this all? Was he simply supposed to walk away like this just because Sungyeol seem reluctant to accept anyone? Sungyeol did love him at some point of his life. Thus he should still have a chance.

He scoffs at how lame he was to even be this hopeful. Even when he has already rejected, he still pathetically held onto the hope of Sungyeol actually changing his mind. Was this even love or rather obsession? He honestly didn’t know.

But ever since his conversation with Sungyeol hyung at the beach, Myungsoo had done a lot of thinking. Thinking in which has mostly brought him to several other questions he hadn’t really thought of till now. For instance, what was he supposed to do if rejected? And well, he was rejected now so he should actually come to answer this question. Except that he honestly didn’t know how he was supposed to answer that. Part of him wants to call it quits and simply move on from this fruitless love but another part of him, much louder than the other, tells him he shouldn’t. Or more like he can’t. The thing that Sungyeol hyung seem to not get is that what Myungsoo feels for him was more than what we can describe as love. It was beyond that. Myungsoo didn’t even know it was physically possible for him to give up. He needed Sungyeol hyung. So much he couldn’t think about anything else but him. He wanted Sungyeol hyung. Not just his heart but his body, his pain, his anger, he wanted it all. Was he insane to think that? Probably but he just couldn’t do otherwise. Myungsoo was indeed conscious that he had said he would give him up, even made a grand exit to mark that but he’s gone through the pain of not having Sungyeol hyung at all and it’s ten times worse than if he died. Actually, it’s no different from dying. And yes, Myungsoo must most definitely sound cheesy but he really can’t find any other word to describe what life without Sungyeol was. It was like he was alive but not really breathing. Everyday weren’t even a blessing anymore but instead a chore. Something he was forced to do to be called normal. Saying he was fine when he was not was something he had learn to hate. Pretending wasn’t his forte anymore.

Myungsoo just couldn’t do it anymore. He was honestly exhausted.

Back to his apartment, Myungsoo tiredly drops his bag at the side of the door, and without even bothering to turn on the light, he walks to his room and lets himself heavily fall onto his bed. It shouldn’t be new to him. This heartache he was feeling shouldn’t be anything new to him, yet, it doesn’t make it any less bearable. It’s true that he was well acquainted to the pain of losing, of being defeated by Sungyeol but every time, the pain was too much for him to even be able to act like nothing happened. How was he going to face him from now on? Would he be able to hold himself back when he’ll be in front of the older man? He’ll have to. Sungyeol was like a sheer of glass with so much damage, any wrong move and make it break to millions of pieces. Myungsoo wishes he wasn’t conscious of that but every time he looks into the older man’s eyes, it was the only thing he was aware of. Even his back felt lonely, Myungsoo thinks as he thinks back at when he saw Sungyeol leave the hotel to who knows where. He hadn’t really meant to see him but karma was a and it seem to have taken Myungsoo to be her .

Sighing heavily, he forces his eyes close when his front door opens. He doesn’t even bother to walk up to check who it was. There was only one person who knew of his house code. Without moving a muscle, he listens attentively to the footsteps drawing closer by the man. Feels a warm source that makes him squint his eyes and brings his forearm over them to somehow decrease the unwanted feeling. Something he quickly recognizes as his lights now . With an annoyed groan, Myungsoo tries to bury his head into his pillow but before he could even follow his train of thoughts, he hears a feminine yet warm tone ask

“Hey honey, how was your trip?”

“Great mom.” Myungsoo mutters halfheartedly, his eyes still covered by his forearm.

“Hey, don’t be rude. I came here because I was worried about you.”

“Worried? Why would you be…?”

“I know Sungyeol ah was there at your bonding event.” Myungsoo remains silent. Of course she would know. Sungyeol hyung was practically a star. Someone that appeared more often on the cover page of Dispatch than the actual idols.

“Honey, did something happen?”

Should he tell her? Myungsoo wonders. In the end, would that change anything if he did? Definitely not but at least he’ll unburden a bit of his load.

“I kissed him.” Myungsoo admits blankly. Somehow saying it out loud, makes him feel even more pathetic than he did before.

“You did?” He hears his mother chocks out. But even without looking, he could practically hear the smile from her voice. He doesn’t say anything else for a couple of minute. Debating whether or not, he should carry on. After hearing his mother protest that he should explain himself, he lets out a sigh, sits up and finally looking into his mother’s enthusiastic smile, he sighs

“He rejected me after that.” His mother’s smile falters at that very instant and Myungsoo would’ve sworn he reads the disappointment in her eyes. Myungsoo couldn’t blame her however. He had also been disappointed to the outcome of things.

“But we’ll be getting along well from now on. At least professionally speaking.”

“Hang on wait. He rejected you? Why?”

“Isn’t it obvious? He doesn’t want me. In any case, I’ll have to it up now and accept it.”

“Can you do that?” His mother sadly ask and Myungsoo gulps at that. Because no, he didn’t think he could do it but does he have a choice? He screwed up with Sungyeol hyung before. He didn’t want to screw up now when the older seem more dispose to let him back into his life.

“I’ll have to.” He retorts in return, looking away from the pained look his mother gives him as he feels all the more depressed at that point.

I’ll have to.” He repeats, this time trying to convince himself more than his mother.

 

Myungsoo doesn’t talk much about Sungyeol hyung after that. And for some reason, the older man doesn’t drop by his studio anymore for the photos. In fact, he seems to be avoiding the younger man but again, that could be just Myungsoo being paranoid. Myungsoo had then proceeded to be in complete denial about the situation until Woohyun hyung turned up during the photos review instead of Sungyeol hyung. Myungsoo won’t lie. He really didn’t appreciate Sungyeol’s unprofessionalism. Weren’t they supposed to be adults?

After he showed Woohyun the pictures, rather grudgingly, he put away his equipment away, basically ignoring just about everyone. He really was not in the mood of talking then and even if he did have something to say, in the state he was, he wasn’t sure he’ll be able to stay courteous, thus he remained silent. Even when Jae hee attempts once again to get him to go out on a date with her, he doesn’t say much. He was really trying to not be the douche he was from high school but somehow Sungyeol made it very difficult for him to do just that. He wasn’t some crazy idiot anyway. Did Sungyeol really have to be this obvious about his feelings towards him?

“Oppa, are you ok?” Jae hee asks in a concern tone.

“Yeah.” Myungsoo snaps a little too harshly. Myungsoo quickly regrets the tone he used as he sees Jae hee taken aback look. The poor girl really didn’t deserve that.

“I’m…. I’m sorry Jae hee. I’m just not in very good mood right now. Look let’s talk tomorrow ok. Good work today.” Myungsoo said apologetically. The young woman gives him a constricted smile and after saying her goodbyes she walks away under the eyes of the ever so guilty Myungsoo. This was exactly what he feared. Sungyeol was affecting him too much. This was seriously ridiculous. If he doesn’t want to have anything to do with Myungsoo shouldn’t he be a man about it and not avoid him like some child? Gosh, just thinking about it annoyed the hell out of him.

Myungsoo was the last to leave the studio. Thus he was the one that had to close. Honestly, he didn’t really mind. At least, it kept him busy. As he was checking that everything were closed and he had everything with him thus he wouldn’t need to return if he did forget something inside, Myungsoo was about to walk away when he accidently bumps into someone, dropping along the way everything he was struggling to hold in place.

“Oh I’m sorry.” He hears a voice said and he immediately looks up to come face to face to a face he was sure he saw somewhere but can’t remember where. He didn’t look Korean whatsoever. And his fancy suit immediately gets Myungsoo’s guard up.

“It’s ok.” Myungsoo retorts hastily, as he quickly grabs his stuff from the other man.

“You’re L right? That super famous photographer? Lucky me, you’re exactly the person I’m looking for.” The man told him with a cryptic smile Myungsoo honestly didn’t like. He doesn’t let it show however, gets onto his feet and quirking an eyebrow questionably, Myungsoo asks

“Oh really? And you are? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“Oh right. How rude of me. I’m Gu Weng Lin at your service. I’d like to have a few words with you.”

“I’m sorry but I’m in a hurry…”

“It’s about your lover.”

“Lover?” Myungsoo repeats incredulous. This conversation was taking a strange turn if you ask Myungsoo.

“Yes, Lee Sungyeol. Please, come this way. I won’t take much of your time I promise.” Sungyeol hyung? The hell is this guy saying about Sungyeol hyung being his lover? Wait, could he be a paparazzi? A very rich one too for him to be able to afford such fancy attire.

There is something in which every parent in this world would agree on. And well every kids were learn to never go against. Following a total stranger was so not advised to do. Yet, Myungsoo seem to like to defy reasons or more like, when it’s related to Sungyeol, he loses all common sense. He’ll probably have it back when he’ll be dead in a ditch somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully, he’ll get out of this alive and who knows, he’ll probably know who this dude was. Myungsoo only wanted to know about this guy after all, this really had nothing to do about him wanting to know what’s going on in Sungyeol’s life. Yep, definitely. Seriously Myungsoo, who’ll buy that, he mentally reprimands himself as he silently follows the man out of the studio and luckily to a café just across his workplace.

 

Meanwhile, Sungyeol was having probably the worst day of his life. He’s woken up with not only a thousand of papers waiting for him at the office for him to sign, reason why he sent Woohyun to check out the photos with Myungsoo for him, but he was also being watched. How did he know? The guy following him was being way too obvious. Seriously, if he wanted to tail Sungyeol he should at least try and not wear binoculars while looking into his office from the roof of the building across his office. Sungyeol decides to pay the guy a little visit but before he could he gets a call from none other but his personal trainer and mentor, Kai hyung. Without even a second of hesitation he answers joyfully

“Hey hyung, how are you?”

“Great. I’m calling for the untraceable phone (UP) you wanted Daeyol to have. Are you sure you can deal with the consequences? You do know Master isn’t going to be too happy about this right? Especially considering Daeyol is supposed to be isolated.”

“Yeah I know hyung but he’s been isolated for far too long and he’s not stupid. He’s not going to get himself in trouble. Besides, I’m sure you’ll keep an eye on him right?” Sungyeol hears the older man sigh thus he knew Kai hyung would do exactly that. He liked Daeyol a lot anyway. Maybe too much come to think of it. Sungyeol doesn’t linger on the question long however when he gets a second call. With an apology and a promise to repay the older man for his help, Sungyeol hangs up and answers the other caller, frowning a bit at the unknown number. Sungyeol wasn’t the type to ignore those type of calls whatsoever. It was probably because his shifty self.

“Hey I know you’ve been asking around about me. Just so we’re clear, I’m not someone you can handle. If you don’t stop now you might get hurt. Or… Someone you care about will.” A dark and ominous voice told him. Sungyeol doesn’t flinch for so little whatsoever. In his line of work, he’s had had more threat than he can possibly count. This wasn’t so different from the other times someone had threaten to hurt him or someone he cared about. With an unimpressed sigh, he questions

“Oh I see. And how are you actually planning on doing so?”

The man doesn’t answer. Instead, Sungyeol receives a video. But not any video. This was a video taken of Myungsoo conversing with, Sungyeol doesn’t quite see for he had his back turned, at a café Sungyeol recognizes as the one across Myungsoo’s studio. And normally, logically, he shouldn’t let his emotions run loose but the fact the man used Myungsoo in such way irritated him so much, it took everything inside him not to cuss. Just why were Myungsoo yet again thrown to his face?

“You wouldn’t want your boyfriend to get hurt right? So stop whatever research you’re doing on our company.”

With an annoyed scoff, Sungyeol spat defiantly

“Go on ahead. You must be really stupid if you think you can threaten me with the life of that person. Do you seriously think I give a damn about a simple fling? You know what you’ll do me a favor if you get rid of him for me.”

At this point Sungyeol didn’t really care if he sounded like a total . It wasn’t like he could do otherwise. If he were to act on his feelings which is to step in and protect Myungsoo, the photographer would really be thrown into his world. It was better to cut off all interest those bastards had for Myungsoo. And in some way there was some truth in what he said. He really did need more reason to stay away from Myungsoo. And this would be motivation enough.

“So you don’t care what would happen to him?”

“I said I didn’t.” Sungyeol retorts darkly.

“Fine then. He’s cute anyway. I guess I’ll you do you this favor for now but beware Lee ssi. You’re playing with fire. And people get burn when they play with fire.”

Sungyeol knew better than to play along. Those kind of threats never irked him before. Until now at least. After he hangs up with Sungyeol, Sungyeol was basically already out the door, making call to Myungsoo’s phone. Surely, he must look like a mad man running down his office and to the parking lot but right then, he honestly didn’t care much about it. All of these was simply overrated. His careful act was overrated. Whoever it was, although he had a pretty good guess as to who was threatening him, just made a grave mistake if he thought he’ll get out of this unscarred after involving a civilian in this war.

Much to his frustration, Myungsoo’s phone was turned off. For someone who usually could smell danger for a mile, it was surprising for him to even accept to have lunch with a complete stranger. Just what on earth was Myungsoo even thinking?

“Yes hello. Alex, get me info about the Hawk Company. Do whatever you can to hack into their system. I want it all. Even where they pay their suits, I want it all.”

“Hawk company? The Chinese cooperate?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you think they are related to your investigation?”

“I’m not sure. But they are idly trying to keep me off their back so I want to know what they’re hiding.” Sungyeol supplies as an explanation and it was all it took for Alex to give a positive answer. Sungyeol parks three blocks away from the studio. If the café was being monitored, he didn’t want to give them the satisfaction for even appearing here. Truth is, Sungyeol had no real idea as to why he came here in the first place. Was he that worried about Myungsoo? Sungyeol doesn’t answer the mental question, instead he cusses annoyingly under his breath, more than mindful of the answer of the enquiry. With a sigh, Sungyeol grabs the cap he always keeps in his gloves box and the black face mask, he switches his vest for a sweater and putting on his pair of sneaker, he walks to Myungsoo’s studio, his mind was anything but blank. Sungyeol really didn’t have any plans prior. Only that he had to make sure Myungsoo was safe. And if needed he’ll have to intervene.

From where he was standing he could only see Myungsoo’s face. The other man had his back turned. But from his broad shoulder Sungyeol guessed the man must be into some physical activity. Sungyeol could also count about three bodyguards waiting outside and from the quick and careful glance around, whoever it was that surveyed the perimeter were either on one of the roof across the café or was using the camera across the street to watch the perimeter. Obviously, Sungyeol was standing at a blind spot. A spot he covered from his various visit to the studio. Sungyeol wouldn’t lie though. They look very much prepared. Which made him wondered if it would be a good idea to take them on alone. And if he could actually do so without revealing his face. Sungyeol didn’t get to overanalyze things alas. Just then, Myungsoo and the man stands up and for a brief second, Sungyeol thought he sees Myungsoo’s eyes waver for a brief second but that lasted only for a second though. Quickly Myungsoo’s expression hardens and just then, they walk out of the café together. Pulling up his face mask and adjusting his hat, Sungyeol silently follows the pair to where he quickly realizes to be where the underground parking lot was. He could basically hear incoherent words coming from the pair. When finally, Myungsoo and the man along with his bodyguards reaches Myungsoo’s car, Sungyeol patiently waits for Myungsoo to get in the car and safely drives away but before the man could, the Chinese dude grabs him by the arm and after some words he whispered, the other three men closes in on Myungsoo.

These goons were really getting on his nerve.

By the time Sungyeol was done with the three muscular guy and after taking care of the Chinese leader, with great difficulty, Sungyeol grabs Myungsoo by the wrist and pulling him into his car, he orders loudly

“Give me your keys.”

Thankfully, Myungsoo must’ve recognized him, thus he wordlessly gave him the keys, and thus Sungyeol drives out of the park.

“Why the hell did you follow that guy? Didn’t he seem odd to you?” Sungyeol angrily snaps while taking off his face mask, wincing a bit from the cut he had on his lips, certainly from when he was exchanging blows with the Chinese leader.

“I didn’t think he’ll try anything on broad light. Besides, I think I can take care of myself.”

“Myung, this isn’t a joke. Those guys aren’t simple goons. Do you even realize in what world you just stepped into?”

“And in what world did I step in then?” Myungsoo retorts equally as frustrated.

“In mine. And it’s not a fun world, L ssi.”

With that being, Sungyeol ran his thumb on his now sour cheekbone. Those dudes really could land some heavy punches.

 

Enjoy this chapter. Tell me what you think in the comment section below. :) <3 Also thank you to those who suscribed.

PS: Even though i don't reply to your comments, know that i read every comment whatsoever. And i enjoy them a lot.