1.5: Manoa

Carnal: Awakening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PART TWO

 

".....Kyungsoo...."

 

As soon as everyone realized who exactly it was standing before them, they crowded around the new arrival and his companion, who was later introduced as Sehun.

Baekhyun immediately latched his arm around Kyungsoo, refusing to let go and pinching himself every once in a while to make sure he wasn't dreaming. He smiled as he watched the others - Miri and Vana covering Kyungsoo in kisses and also poor Sehun who awkwardly accepted their embrace.

Baekhyun beamed at the situation, happiness radiating on his face. It wasn't until he looked across the room that he noticed how quiet his brother had been.

 

In fact, Jongin had not moved at all. Rather, he was staring intently at his own feet. And as soon as the dark-haired boy raised his head, Baekhyun could see something was wrong. 

 

Jongin's brain was not working. He could hear himself telling his lungs to work, but they refused to listen. He felt his chest getting tighter, his breaths were shorter. His palms felt clammy, his lips dry.

He tried to speak, to ask his brother for help. He could see realization wash over Baekhyun's face.

 

He turned his eye toward the all too familiar face, his best friend, Kyungsoo whom he had lost years ago. The young soldier was slowly approaching Jongin, getting closer. Flashes of him mourning over an unmarked grave awoke in his mind.

Jongin yelled at his feet to move. To run away, to be anywhere but there, but they wouldn't listen. His mind screamed, desperately wanting an escape. 

Kyungsoo was a few feet away; worry plastered all over his face.

Jongin could feel tears tugging at the corners of his eye. His left arm began to tingle. He was still clutching the knife tightly in his palm. He felt the cool iron under his touch getting warm, warmer until it was suddenly too hot, and his skin cringed in shock. He dropped the knife, pain shooting up his arm and towards his neck.

 

A faint humming filled his ears, and his eyes flashed in visions of red, a sea of brilliant orange. His body felt drained and exhausted. He could feel himself giving away, his eyes blurry from the pain.  He could see figures running; the closest was a familiar shape, a familiar hand reaching towards him. 

 

And then he felt himself falling, drowning in utter darkness and muffled yells that sounded a lot like his name.

 

8 DAYS BEFORE. BALKAN CAMP

 

Kyungsoo had never been more worried in his life.

This was not an easy decision he could make over dinner. In fact, he had mulled over it for months. Okay maybe, years, but still it was a life-changing decision!

So, the gall that made up his young friend, Sehun, and the impertinence of his suggestion, left him flabbergasted.

Here's how it all began.

 

Sehun, his only friend within the Balkan unit, has requested Kyungsoo to accompany him on a mission. No details were shared, just that there was a bounty hunt with enough rewards that they could live off of for a couple of months. Kyungsoo hadn't thought much of it and it didn't take much to bring him along - the temptation of going months without having to listen to the condescending barks of his officers was convincing enough.

The journey was not that hard, save for the looters they had met along the way. But they were easy enough to take care of, after all, they were trained for situations such as those. Oddly enough, he was now used to the looks - the fearful eyes and disdain of others watching him.

Balkans were soldiers with demonic powers, all trained and raised from a young age - many were taken or kidnapped because of what they could do. Most of them were born with a strength slightly greater than that of an average human, but a few - those who were ranked, carried rare powers, unique and dangerous gifts that no other had. Within their unit, he and Sehun were the only ones ranked, and it was precisely because of that, that they had been called names, spat on, cursed, and abhorred.

He had learned to ignore them over the years, unlike Sehun who would immediately react at any instigation. But that was what he admired in his friend, the courage to stand up to others - it was something he wanted in himself.

It wasn't until they reached the familiar Black Mountains that he realized exactly where Sehun was taking him.

And this was the conversation that ensued.

 

"I meant to tell you," Sehun tried to calm his pacing comrade, suddenly aware of how angry the other really was, "Look you've been talking about this for years now. Don't you think it's time?"

"That wasn't up to you to decide!" Kyungsoo glowered - his emotions rumbled within him, restless and confused.

"I'm sorry, okay?" Sehun assured him, "I know I should've told you, but you never would have left if I had. Besides, we're almost there and I checked ahead - they're home."

No. Kyungsoo was not ready. Sure he was stubborn, but not ready. It was too soon. He needed more time.

"How much longer are you going to wait?" Sehun asked, as if to read his mind, "You can't keep yourself hidden forever."

But that was exactly what he had been planning because you see, Kyungsoo was a coward. A sniveling young coward, who had betrayed his dearest friends.

"They won't forgive me," he thought out loud. "And what am I supposed to say? Hi, remember me? Your frie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter