10: Nameless

Carnal: Awakening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PART ONE

 

They walked in utter darkness, one behind the other - every step digging into the narrow strip of earth before them.

In Jongin’s mind, the darkness stretched unbroken for miles as he followed blindly. There was no torch to guide him; he relied entirely on the glint of metal bouncing off the cuffs of Orixe’s coat.

The distance back seemed longer, and he found himself oddly comforted by the lack of words from the Zero. It gave him time to think - to pick apart every question surfacing in his mind. He thought back, then, of what had transpired between Chen and his brother. He replayed it over and over, concentrating on one thing - the one thing that planted a seed of doubt within him.

“I only answer to the Nameless One” -  those were the specific words Chen had said.

At first, Jongin didn’t think much of it, but then it was such an odd thing to say. It led him to wonder who those words were intended for. Chen was looking at Baekhyun then - not Orixe who was standing right in front of him but his brother.

He was certain of it.

But why? Why say it at all?

And why to his brother of all people?

Ultimately, what mattered most was the reaction. Baekhyun’s reaction.

What was it that Jongin saw - what hid behind the creases of his brother’s smile?

Within the short period of time between when Chen spoke those words and Baekhyun lowered his head - Jongin saw it in his brother’s eyes, as clear as day.

Guilt.

 

 

He cleared his throat.

“Orixe…Luhan said you wanted to talk to me?” Jongin questioned.

The crunch of Orixe’s boot slowed until footsteps fell into cadence with his own. He squinted; his vision just barely making the shape of Orixe’s figure now walking beside him.

“You don’t have to call me that.” The Zero’s tone was soft and devoid of any edge. “Orixe is only a rank. It’s not my name.”

“Rank?” Jongin probed.

“Yes. It means ‘the first’ - given to me by the King. It’s not a title I particularly enjoy.”

Jongin hesitated and then asked, “Then what should I call you?”

There was no answer for a while and he wondered if that was perhaps the end of their conversation. The shade of trees began to part little by little with pools of moonlight now guiding their path.

Out of the corner of his eye, he could now see how Orxie’s brow was pulled together as if in thought.

“I’m willing to share it with you,” the other finally disclosed, “because in order to regain his trust I must first earn yours.”

“…his?” Jongin inquired.

“Your brother.”

Jongin frowned, uncertain of what to say.

“You’re confused,” Orixe observed.

Jongin scoffed. “That’s an understatement.”

“Then ask.”

Jongin gulped. The questions came easy - they sat on the tip of his tongue waiting to be released, but he needed to be careful. Every question also revealed something about himself - of how much he didn’t know.

He peeked to find gentleness in Orixe’s composure - a stark difference from the way the others had described him.

 

 

“The Ancient,” he began, “Why does the King want it?”

“Why else? Power,” Orixe answered, “Celestials once existed as the most powerful beings to ever walk this earth - imagine wielding even a remnant of their power, being able to do what they could.”

“What could they do?”

“Impossible things. For one, raising the dead.”

Jongin stopped in his tracks, his eyes wide.

“But that’s….”

“Yea,” Orixe nodded and then motioned him to continue walking, “It’s forbidden, but not impossible. But remember, doing the impossible comes with a price and that’s what led to the extinction of their race. They meddled with dark powers, things that only Gods could do. Any remnant of an ancient is just as dangerous.”

He paused and then continued.

“Especially in the hands of someone who doesn’t understand it’s worth.”

Jongin felt cold in the pit of his stomach. Orixe was looking right at him.

He knew.

“How long have you known?” he challenged.

“Since Alor,” Orixe explained, “It wasn’t difficult to figure out that you were the one who had it, especially with how protective your friends were of you.”

Jongin clenched his jaw, his tongue pushed against the back of his teeth.

“Then why haven’t you turned me in?” he gulped.

“The circumstances have changed. The Zeros are hesitant, and I doubt they would follow my orders now even if I told them to.”

Jongin bit the inside of his lip.

“Because of my brother?” he guessed.

“Yes.”

 

 

They were getting closer to Kyungsoo’s location now and Jongin was getting anxious - half because he had so much more to ask Orixe and the other half because he wanted to return to his friend as quickly as possible.

The questions were still there, of course, waiting as words formed in his mouth - all itching to find some piece of the puzzle he couldn’t comprehend.

“There’s something….,” Jongin voiced, “….that’s been bothering me.” He gave a quick glance to Orixe. “That time when you were trying to stop Chen, he said something….,” he paused again, “…to my brother.”

Orixe nodded - not a hint of surprise on his face as if he was expecting the question.

“What did he mean?” Jongin finished.

“Orixe,” the other explained, “I told you it is the title of a rank.”

Jongin nodded.

“It was given to me by the King and it was only then that I took over leadership of the Zeros.”

Jongin nodded again and then stood still because Orixe had stopped walking.

“Do you understand?”

Jongin blinked, his brows pulled together.

Orixe sighed. “I cannot divulge what I know, Jongin, without inciting your brother’s anger. Everything I tell you now puts you at risk. But this is a risk I am taking because I’m hoping you will be the one to help him regain his memory. I need to be limited in my words so you must pay attention to everything I tell you now.”

“Okay,” Jongin breathed, the cold in his stomach building.

“How much do you know about the ranking system in the King’s military?”

“Not much.”

“It’s simple. Basically, your rank determines the type of missions they send you on. The stronger the power, the higher the rank. In the Balkan unit, there are three levels of rank a soldier can achieve with Level 3 being the highest. Your friend Kyungsoo and Sehun are both Level 3 soldiers. It is also why they have more freedom to travel as they wish.”

Jongin felt his chest rise, unknowingly proud of his friends.

“The Zeros,” Orixe continued, “follow a different system. There is only one rank that matters - a title given to the strongest. In order to achieve that rank, you must pass all six trials given by the King.”

“So then,” Jongin interjected, trying to absorb as much as he could, “Is that title ‘Orixe’? since you’re the leader of the Zeros.”

“No.”

“But you said that the title ‘Orixe’ is given to the strongest.”

“No,” Orixe repeated, “I told you that there is a rank given to the strongest - I never said it was mine. The titl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter